Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Bob53

Systems integration and certification, supply and maintenance chains, training, CONOPS, force structure, and that's just in the US, then you have to flow that onto the ADF and RAAF, RAN and possibly the Army as well !

Just really gets me how people think we just get these things and all of a sudden we have thousands of them ready to go a week later !! Does the general public actually know what MOTS actually is ?

Because they seem to think off the shelf means we just go in with a few trucks, load up and sweet the ADF is ready to go !! Yep lets just order a few thousand of these, a couple of hundred of those, let's throw in a few hundred long range missiles to strike China and we have it covered, so simple, why did they not think of it before !!

And of course lets just add in that the manufacturers of these missiles and systems just have "thousands" laying around for us to come in and put into our shopping cart, oh yeah and the US and other countries have 10's of thousands sitting in a warehouse to spare for Australia to come and grab !!

Please give me strength !!
Appreciate the response but to be clear I was not expecting to duck in down to Bunnings and grab a few in the hardware row. It was a legit question but put in the simplest terms. I take your answer as the JASSM-ER is going through F35 integration in the US. questions though…will it be internal or external on F35 and is there are expected integration date?

rand0m

In regards to the RAAF/RAN and the JSM/NSM, can anyone shed some light as to what "low-low-low" and "hi-hi-low" refers to?

Improved range over NSM, estimates include 150 nmi (170 mi; 280 km)[51] to >100 nmi low-low-low or > 300 nmi (350 mi; 560 km) hi-hi-low flight profiles

Source

Redlands18

In regards to the RAAF/RAN and the JSM/NSM, can anyone shed some light as to what "low-low-low" and "hi-hi-low" refers to?

Improved range over NSM, estimates include 150 nmi (170 mi; 280 km)[51] to >100 nmi low-low-low or > 300 nmi (350 mi; 560 km) hi-hi-low flight profiles

Source
Flight path of the Missile, low-low-low means the Missile is travelling the entire distance skimming just above the water, hi-hi-low means the Missile only comes down to wave height for the terminal phase. As you could imagine the former would cut the range dramatically and flying under the Radar is not really as effective as it once was.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Appreciate the response but to be clear I was not expecting to duck in down to Bunnings and grab a few in the hardware row. It was a legit question but put in the simplest terms. I take your answer as the JASSM-ER is going through F35 integration in the US. questions though…will it be internal or external on F35 and is there are expected integration date?
Sorry that part of the answer was more of a generalisation than specifically directed at you :)

From my understanding, and I have read it before, the JASSM, all variants, are external carry only on the F-35's, as opposed to JSM which was specifically adapted for internal carry from the outset for the JSF. Not sure where JASSM is at integration wise with the US, but would have to think not that far off.

Cheers

Bob53

Sorry that part of the answer was more of a generalisation than specifically directed at you :)

From my understanding, and I have read it before, the JASSM, all variants, are external carry only on the F-35's, as opposed to JSM which was specifically adapted for internal carry from the outset for the JSF. Not sure where JASSM is at integration wise with the US, but would have to think not that far off.

Cheers
No offence taken at all and to be honest a bit of googling would of got me the answers I was seeking. Some good articles on the drive on this.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not aimed at anyone in particular.

Due to the upcoming Australian Federal election on 21 May 2022, keep Australian partisan politics out of any discussions. The Moderators will have little tolerance for it.

Stampede

I notice that Australian New Zealand defender have news that the damaged Super Hornet is to be returned to service.
I am not a subscriber to the Mag so has anyone else got any information?
I'm aware we are also to replace the lost Growler so if true our S Hornet / Growler fleet should be back to 36 aircraft.
RAAF focus on maintaining numbers maybe suggests both the importance of this aircraft platform and a possibly long future.

Hmmmmmmm

Regards S

Mikeymike

I notice that Australian New Zealand defender have news that the damaged Super Hornet is to be returned to service.
I am not a subscriber to the Mag so has anyone else got any information?
This is mentioned in the senate estimates transcripts in the transcript for the 1st april, page 22 if you are interested. The relevant section is:

1649585260265.png

I'm aware we are also to replace the lost Growler so if true our S Hornet / Growler fleet should be back to 36 aircraft.
Later in the same section they mention the growler if you are interested. It continues on discussing the cost differential and how changes have been made to Australia's FMS process to include additional insurance.

1649585393047.png

hauritz

Things have gone quiet about replacing the Super Hornets. Personally I would keep them with an eye towards getting 6th Gen technology in the 2030s. Plus do Super Hornets equipped with JASSM or JASSM-XR really need to be all that stealthy?

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Things have gone quiet about replacing the Super Hornets. Personally I would keep them with an eye towards getting 6th Gen technology in the 2030s. Plus do Super Hornets equipped with JASSM or JASSM-XR really need to be all that stealthy?
Aside from JSF, there is nothing we’d really want to replace the Super Hornet with right now and until Block IV and all the various weapons are integrated, even JSF isn’t ready, yet….

Even if you were able to go with something like Gottliebsen / APA / BFA - Best Fighter for Australia’s insane plan and acquire the soon to be retired Block 10 F-22A’s, there would be a massive hole in Australian strike capabilities particularly in relation to the soon to be deployed LRASM maritime strike and JASSM-ER stand-off strike capabilities, and RAAF would then be forced to run with 3 separate fighter / EW types as Growler would still be required…

RAAF I think has more than an eye on impending US 6th Gen capabilities and while I fully support improving and expanding our fighter capabilities and would strenously argue that the FSP 2020 ‘additional air combat capability’ project should be brought forward immediately to acquire additional JSF, now is most definitely not the time to consider replacing Super Hornet…

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Why would you say things have gone quiet? Why?

Project AIR 6000 Ph 7, is still due to start around 2025-26, nothing has changed for many many years.

The project has gone through a number of name changes, currently it is called ‘Additional Air Combat Capability’, previously it was called ‘Air Combat Capability - Fourth Squadron’.

Further back in time it had different names too, but it is still AIR 6000 Ph 7 (the current project for 72 F-35A aircraft is AIR 6000 Ph 2A/2B).

Let’s not forget we are still in the transition phase from Classic Hornet to F-35A, the last of 72 aircraft is due late 2023, I would imagine the RAAF will be more focused on F-35A than to start dicking around with a potential Super Hornet replacement.

Anyway, you’re just going to hold your breath till around the mid 2020s for the project to start.

And let’s not forget, ‘if’ Super Hornet is replaced, those aircraft won’t be leaving service until around 2030 or so, they will be 20ish years old by then too.

Redlands18

Why would you say things have gone quiet? Why?

Project AIR 6000 Ph 7, is still due to start around 2025-26, nothing has changed for many many years.

The project has gone through a number of name changes, currently it is called ‘Additional Air Combat Capability’, previously it was called ‘Air Combat Capability - Fourth Squadron’.

Further back in time it had different names too, but it is still AIR 6000 Ph 7 (the current project for 72 F-35A aircraft is AIR 6000 Ph 2A/2B).

Let’s not forget we are still in the transition phase from Classic Hornet to F-35A, the last of 72 aircraft is due late 2023, I would imagine the RAAF will be more focused on F-35A than to start dicking around with a potential Super Hornet replacement.

Anyway, you’re just going to hold your breath till around the mid 2020s for the project to start.

And let’s not forget, ‘if’ Super Hornet is replaced, those aircraft won’t be leaving service until around 2030 or so, they will be 20ish years old by then too.
I think the RAAF will pretty much want to declare FOC on the 3 F-35 Sqns before getting to serious about replacing the Shornets.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I think the RAAF will pretty much want to declare FOC on the 3 F-35 Sqns before getting to serious about replacing the Shornets.
I think it might go a bit deeper than that too.

It’s not just the transition from IOC to FOC that is important, it’s also the transition from Block 3F to Block 4.

Block 4 is important for the RAAF, it’s also the integration of weapons such as a ‘potential’ JSM purchase, JASSM-ER, LRASM, etc.

I can still see Phase 7 starting around 2025-26, eg, the ‘investigation’ into replacing Super Hornet, but it could also ‘extend’ in time due to ensuring the F-35A fleet is in Block 4 configuration.

No point winding down an existing capability until another capability is delivering what is required.

ddxx

In regards to Hypersonics - is the HACM essentially the end goal of the Scifire program?

Does anyone know how that works in regards to our own sovereign IP, R&D and contributions? I hope that we’re maintaining a stake that is commensurate with our contribution?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wasn't there an option under AIR 6000 to potentially increase the F-35 buy from the 72 to 100 airframes ?

Anyone know if this is still sitting in the background ?

ddxx

Arguably, additional deliveries beyond the currently last planned F-35A (of 72) in 2023 should be about reasonable, viable, and timely expansion of the Joint Force’s Air Capability.

The Super Hornets and derivative Growlers will have a part to play for a long while yet given both new and in development weapons are being specified for their use.

As per budget projections, the RAAF is both set to and budgeted to grow by well over 1,000 personnel between now and 2025/26.

Like with the Navy, we’ve got to ditch our force structure ideology based upon a population many millions lower than that of today - and with many millions more come the mid 2030s.

Last edited:

Stampede

Arguably, additional deliveries beyond the currently last planned F-35A (of 72) in 2023 should be about reasonable, viable, and timely expansion of the Joint Force’s Air Capability.

The Super Hornets and derivative Growlers will have a part to play for a long while yet given both new and in development weapons are being specified for their use.

As per budget projections, the RAAF is both set to and budgeted to grow by well over 1,000 personnel between now and 2025/26.

Like with the Navy, we’ve got to ditch our force structure ideology based upon a population many millions lower than that of today - and with many millions more come the mid 2030s.
It could all go many ways.
Realistically it will probably not stray too much from the original plan.
Block four and the time table of it's roll out to international customers may be a strong influence on the longevity of the S Hornet / Growler fleet.
If delayed some consideration may be given to whats over the horizon.
If not suspect, I would suspect more F35's down the track.
Maybe late 20's. Maybe mid 30's! The Hornets have enough life to give us both options

Part of the conversation will also be the manned / unmanned mix.
Will the later be a compliment or a replacement for current platforms.
This will evolve.

Another consideration will be the lessons from the on going Ukraine / Russia conflict.
Realistically what does this mean for our geography and way of conducting business.

Also we have to pay for our aspirations.
There are budgets for what is planned for around the corner, but when you add in some delays and change in direction across the services then we start robbing Peter to pay for Paul .
Inevitably something has to give.

What ever the outcome, no doubt clever people up high on the RAAF ladder are constantly juggling the what ifs for both now and the immediate future.

We however are not privy to such conversations, so we do the next best thing.

Speculate!

Cheers S

vonnoobie

Wasn't there an option under AIR 6000 to potentially increase the F-35 buy from the 72 to 100 airframes ?

Anyone know if this is still sitting in the background ?
There is an option. Technically Australia still has outstanding 28 F-35 options that we could exercise any time we wanted. Though in past that was assumed it would be either A. Skip those keep SH or B. Replace SH with the 4th F-35 sqdr.

F-35 will be arguably in production for quite some time yet with exluding any delivered to date FY 2022 from January 1 2022 at planned production rate of 156 a year under current orders yet to be fulfilled (excluding japan as I beleive they are building them there) there are 2,340 aircraft barring any increases or decreases that may occur which gives enough capacity for production to run through to December 2036 so little need to rush a decision just yet, Got a good decade before we need to start worrying.