Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Redlands18

Regarding Growlers, it appears that USN Squadrons have 8 aircraft, so 6 Squadron is in fact larger than a standard USN Squadron; by extension, the RAAF 'air wing' would likely have a similar number of EA-18G assets than a USN CVW, if committed as a full squadron (assuming 2-3 aircraft in deep maintenance). I don't see or hear much about USN air wings being deficient in their AEA capability to both protect the fleet and conduct offensive operations. I'll add the ADF never had an AEA capability, until the Growler came on line; its not as though everyone threw their arms up in the air prior and resigned themselves to defeat.
One big difference between the RAAF and the USN though, is the USN would have a seperate OCU with its own Aircraft. In RAAF service the operational Sqn has to share its Aircraft with the OCU so the number of Aircraft available for operations at any one time would actually be the same.

south

The USAF has an urgent requirement for SEAD / DEAD aircraft because they never replaced their F-4 Wild Weasels and EF-111 Ravens. Think that is right. At the moment UAV for the role is not something that can be easily done because of how the Growler back seater works. I would think that the RAAF would be well advised to let the US work that problem out and have it fully FOC before looking at the capability. It has the potential to be a huge money pit.

The USAF directly replaced F-4 Wild Weasels with F-16CJ Wild Weasels and latterly the F-35. The USAF have intentionally got out of the AEA game, but maintain an interest in AEA with an active program of the 390th ECS (forgive the old article, but it gives some background); there are plenty of others online.

Last edited:

Stampede

Yep, and AFAIK the SEAD/DEAD work on the F35 revolves more around making it an effective AARGM-ER shooter rather than a wide angle, wide band standoff jammer like Growler. I suspect we will have to wait for NGAD/PCA to truly replace it.
My limited understanding was that the F35 with all it's "cleverness" would eventually be able to take on the role performed by the Growlers plus the usual multirole fighter stuff.
This would not be achievable in the initial F35's but rather in the later models with appropriate soft / hardware upgrades.
The time table for the above would then give option for the retirement of the Growlers.
I maybe wrong with the above.
If the Growlers are in fact a unique platform that offer options the F35 will not; then for a medium sized Airforce like the RAAF this suggests they will be service for quite some time ahead. So for the RAAF a F35 / S Hornet / Growler fleet for some time into the future or maybe consolidation just with the F35?

I guess its about the expectation and evolution of the F35 and it's fit in respective Airforces around the world.
Luckily for the RAAF we have the option of the capability of the Growler today.
That was a good call.

Regards S

Boagrius

My limited understanding was that the F35 with all it's "cleverness" would eventually be able to take on the role performed by the Growlers plus the usual multirole fighter stuff.
While this wouldn't surprise me, the finer details of the F35's EW capabilities are naturally hush hush. I've read everything from "it's provided only by the APG-81" and "it's x-band only" to "it's wideband/wide-angle (Growler-esque)". Whatever the case I am also glad we have the Growlers on hand while the F35 crawls, walks then runs.

CB90

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The USAF directly replaced F-4 Wild Weasels with F-16CJ Wild Weasels and latterly the F-35. The USAF have intentionally got out of the AEA game, but maintain an interest in AEA with an active program of the 390th ECS (forgive the old article, but it gives some background); there are plenty of others online.
The USAF still keeps a foot in the door with AEA.
While the Growlers are Navy aircraft, there are a few dedicated Expeditionary squadrons which are separate from the carrier squadrons and in practice only deploy to air bases to support Joint (but really Air Force) requirements. There are Air Force personnel attached to fly with those units. The 390th is really just the Air Force specific Admin support for the USAF folks dropped into all the operational Navy units up there.

This arrangement between the 2 services negates any real need for an EF-111 replacement in the traditional sense.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
75 Sqn RNZAF had a history with an individual who lived in middle of a clearing in a forestry block in the North Island. Anyway one morning four A-4s were playing tag around his house just after sun up. As was his practice he rang up Ohakea to complain. Unfortunately during the call the hydraulics to one of the aircrafts tail hook had a glitch withthe tail hook dropping and it caught the phone line, ripping the line from the poles. The techies said such glitches have been known to happen now and again for unknown reasons.

Redlands18

The US DSCA has approved the sale of up tp 12 MQ-9B Skyguardian UAS to Australia along with a comprehensive support package under Air 7003.
Package includes
15 MTS-D EO/IR balls
16 AN/APY-8 Lynx Synthetic Aperture Radars, Seaspray 7500 Maritime Radars
15 RIOTM COMMINT Systems,
as well as other Sensors and Comms equipment
Also included is a package of Trg, Telemetry and other enabling systems for both 250 and 500 Lb JDAMs, Paveways and Hellfires. As well as a Simulator.
The estimated cost of the entire system is $1.65bn US.

cdxbow

The US DSCA has approved the sale of up tp 12 MQ-9B Skyguardian UAS to Australia along with a comprehensive support package under Air 7003.
Package includes
15 MTS-D EO/IR balls
16 AN/APY-8 Lynx Synthetic Aperture Radars, Seaspray 7500 Maritime Radars
15 RIOTM COMMINT Systems,
as well as other Sensors and Comms equipment
Also included is a package of Trg, Telemetry and other enabling systems for both 250 and 500 Lb JDAMs, Paveways and Hellfires. As well as a Simulator.
The estimated cost of the entire system is $1.65bn US.
This may seem dumb question, why purchase 15-16 sensor systems for 'up to' 12 platforms?

rand0m

Is there any reason the RAAF did not deploy a P8 or multiple P8's in the search for the missing KRI Nanggala-402? I thought this would have been the first and most immediate request from the TNI. The US are only now sending them to assist with the search.

cdxbow

Possibly spares.
Sensors don't tend to degrade that much do they? How many aircraft would be likely to be airworthy at any one time. Say ten out of twelve available, makes 15 or more sets seem excessive. Also the Seaspray 7500 Maritime Radar is part of the Sea Guardian kit, I don't know if this replaces the standard radar or is in addition to it. I keep thinking there are those replaceable nose cones in the loyal wingman that need a payload.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sensors don't tend to degrade that much do they? How many aircraft would be likely to be airworthy at any one time. Say ten out of twelve available, makes 15 or more sets seem excessive. Also the Seaspray 7500 Maritime Radar is part of the Sea Guardian kit, I don't know if this replaces the standard radar or is in addition to it. I keep thinking there are those replaceable nose cones in the loyal wingman that need a payload.
I am as curious as you, that's why I used the word possibly. IF it is for spares then I think that they're working on the principle that they it may be more expedient to replace the complete unit than part of it. What say the electronic unit is damaged by hostile EW or similar. We know that the PLA have good capabilities in that area, and if you can recover the RPAS then you can still use it. That's one way of looking at it.

OldTex

This may seem dumb question, why purchase 15-16 sensor systems for 'up to' 12 platforms?
It may very well be that the different sensors all have varying MTBCF figures and so 15 or 16 systems are required IOT meet a specified or desired availability rate for the sensor system.

buffy9

Is there any reason the RAAF did not deploy a P8 or multiple P8's in the search for the missing KRI Nanggala-402? I thought this would have been the first and most immediate request from the TNI. The US are only now sending them to assist with the search.
I'm only speculating, but the nature of it may be geopolitical. Without lurching the thread off topic, Indonesia has rejected the basing of US MPA in the past:

Of course there could be many other technical issues. HMAS Ballarat and it's MH-60R may have been sufficient; or the P-8 may be unsuitable for such deep water operations.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I
IIRC the early murmurings were for up to 16 aircraft. Perhaps there is the possibility of a follow-on order? Just another hypothesis...

Interesting they have specified the Mk.81 250lbs bomb and associated JDAM / LGB variants. Not sure the RAAF operates this weapon otherwise?

Redlands18

I

Interesting they have specified the Mk.81 250lbs bomb and associated JDAM / LGB variants. Not sure the RAAF operates this weapon otherwise?
Maybe just a standard capability built into the Aircraft, I don’t think it will necessarily mean the RAAF will deploy the weapons from the MQ-9B.