Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Gryphinator

When I first saw this headline I thought the fourth F-35 squadron. But no no it's a new heritage squadron.

I look at the photo of the Sabre with pride. I worked on that jet in the 80's when it was part of 2AD. We would take it to airshows. Veterans would come to us with stories and appreciation of keeping it flying. That was one of the most proudest moments of my RAAF career.
I saw on Twitter the PM did an F-35 announcement (no details) and as I was searching for more news on it I saw 100 Sqn re-raising and came to the same conclusion.
Sadly it's not to be. Temora museum is fantastic BTW.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Bit of an update on the Super Hornet take off ejection from last December:

It appears the reason for the crew ejecting during the take off run was because of the loss of nose wheel steering control, they feared a possible rollover of the aircraft.

Another bit of news is that the damage to the aircraft appears to be minimal, the cockpit only suffering minor damage from the ejection seat rockets, the aircraft should return to flight soon.

Cheers,

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Here’s some video of the first flight:

And from ADBR:

Good job RAAF, Boeing Australia and the other partners.

Cheers,

Edit:

The WarZone was quick off the mark to report on the Loyal Wingman first flight too:

Last edited:

John Newman

The Bunker Group
An update to the ADBR article:

The Government announced today an additional $115m in funding, this is on top of the initial investment of $155m, bringing the total investment to $270m.

This will also fund an additional three (3) aircraft, they will add to the three already funded.

It’s certainly been a good few days for the Loyal Wingman program.

Cheers,

hauritz

Some more information about the first flight. There was a test pilot in the loop for the first flight but it seems that the control of this aircraft was through giving the aircraft simple instructions. For example it was told to taxi, take off, return etc.
This does give you an idea of the potential of this program. It sounds like all that will be required to operate these things in conjunction with any aircraft is a secure communication system.

Imagine how effective these aircraft would be when networked with F-35, F-18, Wedgetail and Poseidon aircraft, ships, ground stations and satellites while at the same time being controlled by simple verbal instructions. I can see a few ethical issues in there as well.

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Another Loyal Wingman article on the WarZone:

It appears that Boeing US will be using the Boeing Australia Loyal Wingman (or a variation of), as their contender for the USAF Skyborg program.

Assuming the Boeing offering was successful, it’s reasonable to assume those aircraft would be built in the US.

But maybe there is potential for some Australian content in a US manufacturing program. Apart from that, it would also be a good acknowledgement of the Australian program.

I think it’s clear that any Australian orders will be built here, and maybe that might extend to potential ‘export’ orders too, other than the US, lots of potential.

Whist it was good to see a successful first flight of the aircraft, I think the most important aspect of the program is to get the AI, the software, etc, perfected.

Once that is tested and proven, the ‘brains’ that operate the aircraft can be transplanted into more capable, larger future versions of Loyal Wingman.

Sky’s the limit, pun intended!

Cheers,

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Spotted this in Australian Aviation

F35 numbers grow to 33.

Good news for the RAAF

Regards S
Those aircraft were the final three (of 15) due from last years LRIP 12, it had been reported they were completed late last year and were waiting to be ferried home.

Another 15 are due from this years LRIP 13, assuming no production delays, we should see a total of 48 airframes in RAAF inventory by years end (15 more from LRIP 14 in 2022 and the final nine from LRIP 15 in 2023).

The APA Goon squad must hate good F-35 news.

Cheers,

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Spotted this in Australian Aviation

F35 numbers grow to 33.

Good news for the RAAF

Regards S
They were all here by the end of January. Spotters have been photographing A35-033 taking part in Ex Tasman Shield over the last week.

oldsig

Edit: A35-034 is already flying ...

Last edited:

John Newman

The Bunker Group
They were all here by the end of January. Spotters have been photographing A35-033 taking part in Ex Tasman Shield over the last week.

oldsig
According to this Department of Defence press release (dated 1 March) -031, -032 and -033 arrived here 11 February.

Cheers,

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
According to this Department of Defence press release (dated 1 March) -031, -032 and -033 arrived here 11 February.

Cheers,
Maybe. There were photos posted of-031 and -032 earlier that allegedly taken at Williamtown. I may be misremembering though. Age has its downside

oldsig

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No drama either way, main thing is they are here now.

Cheers,
Indeed. And the next tranche are already in flight test so things continue apace. By the end of this year all three squadrons at Williamtown should have their aircraft. There are already photos about with line ups showing all three different tail markings.

oldsig

hauritz

In my opinion of almost equal importance to the Loyal Wingman concept are the digital technologies and Industrial base that will be built up to support it. Boeing is developing robotic assembly processes for this aircraft which will largely remove any problems Australia might have in dealing with foreign production lines.

Towards the end the author also suggests that the navy needs to also start looking at the loyal wingman concept and perhaps apply it to surface and undersea warfare. An interesting concept in that even a lightly armed ship such as an OPV could become a quite formidable foe if it were surrounded by its own flotilla of AI controlled USV and UUVs.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I've been watching them stage out of Hobart while playing golf next to the airport and presumed they were heading South. What a valuable asset the C-17s are!
Tas
Agree Tas, a very valuable asset indeed.

Hard to believe the first one arrived in late 2006, 15 years at the end of this year.

Firstly four, then a fifth, soon followed by a sixth, and then two of the ‘white tails’ to make eight, pity they didn’t get the other two to make 10.

It’s not hard to imagine the future eventual replacement for the C-17A fleet will be an evolved and updated C-17.

Cheers,