Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

swerve

Super Moderator
Actually the history of RAAF Mirage IIIs service life (and individual airframes) is very well documented:
In PAF service:
50 complete aircraft exported by sea, (48 from Whyalla, South Australia and 2 from Geelong, Victoria)
32 eventually upgraded to ROSE 1 standard, 1 crashed prior to ROSE 1 upgrade. 4 Photo Recon. conversions, 5 used for spares.

Also 5 incomplete aircraft/fuselages; A3-7 (Darwin), -48, -78 (Dubbo), -57, -91 (Orchard Hills).

Cheers,
I was referring to the fact that the degree of updating, modifying & repairing in Pakistani use has been such that in some cases an airframe might have significantly more components which are new, or stripped from others, than original. It being well-documented doesn't change that. The airframe number could become just a tracking tool.

76mmGuns

Yes I saw that article on the DefenseNews website the other day, it would appear that Northrop Grumman is trying to have an each way bet on the future of Triton, certainly appears a lot of issues for the Aus Govt to weigh up.

NG is reportedly offering the RAAF the USNs production slots at a discount (wonder how much?) and also increasing the size of the production lot, the article also suggests that the RAAF delivery schedule timeframe will be the same (one would assume that the airframes will go into storage until delivery too?).

My understanding is that the current Triton configuration is known as IFC3, but the RAAF baseline requirement is IFC4 (which includes all of the enhancements noted in ADBR article below):

I would imagine that the Govt will not only be having discussions with NG, but also the USN and the US Govt too.

Glass half empty? Glass half full? Time will tell.

Cheers,
The article describes this as a "once in a lifetime opportunity".

Perhaps I underestimate the usefulness of the UAV's, but I'd have said getting HMAS Choules was a far better "once in a lifetime" type of opportunity. $100m for all that ship! :)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some more information on Air USA’s purchase of Hornets from Australia. Apparently the deal includes Australia’s spare parts inventory valued at almost a billion. One thing is for sure, they likely negotiated a better deal than Canada’s procurement geniuses.

swerve

Super Moderator
The article describes this as a "once in a lifetime opportunity".

Perhaps I underestimate the usefulness of the UAV's, but I'd have said getting HMAS Choules was a far better "once in a lifetime" type of opportunity. $100m for all that ship! :)
Yeah. Our MoD was castigated at the time for selling her far too cheap. There were reports saying that the asking price was less than the RAN had pencillled in as an initial bid from which they expected to have to go up.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Some more information on Air USA’s purchase of Hornets from Australia. Apparently the deal includes Australia’s spare parts inventory valued at almost a billion. One thing is for sure, they likely negotiated a better deal than Canada’s procurement geniuses.

What an incredible business model this guy has built!
Of all the possible buyers for the RAAFs Hornet fleet this one provides the smoothest transition, one which gives the US the most comfort.
It’s a pity that he’s not a Kiwi :rolleyes:

south

The package he is buying (well detailed in the article) is more capable than pretty much any other aggressor, military or civilian out there.

FWIW I’m not sure that he will get all 46 (despite what the article says). Would be nice to keep a few in some museums given what the jet has done for the ADF for ~30 years.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The package he is buying (well detailed in the article) is more capable than pretty much any other aggressor, military or civilian out there.

FWIW I’m not sure that he will get all 46 (despite what the article says). Would be nice to keep a few in some museums given what the jet has done for the ADF for ~30 years.
He won't. Official statements all say "up to 46", which is the total remaining after the Canada sale. If you read the actual article and get past Tyler Rogoway's name, you'll find enough obviously incorrect statements to make you suspicious of the rest.

However, even if Air USA only get 40 (my guess based on the known bids for museum airframes) it'll still be an impressive private air force.

oldsig

south

He won't. Official statements all say "up to 46", which is the total remaining after the Canada sale. If you read the actual article and get past Tyler Rogoway's name, you'll find enough obviously incorrect statements to make you suspicious of the rest.

However, even if Air USA only get 40 (my guess based on the known bids for museum airframes) it'll still be an impressive private air force.

oldsig
I read it,

it’s claims like this
Enter the most spectacular private aircraft purchase of all time—Air USA's acquisition of allof the Royal Australian Air Force's remaining F/A-18A/B Hornets.
that could have you think it...

Redlands18

oldsig
Not really an Air Force though, just the largest fleet of 1 and 2 Seat Private Supersonic Jets as Air USA would not be able to arm them. Not legally anyway.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I read it,

it’s claims like this

that could have you think it...
Yeah, it could and I realised that you read it. What you need to do after seeing who wrote it, is discount almost all of it as being at best economical with facts, and at worst litered with opinions masquerading as facts.

My opinion of course, though you could probably look back through this site and find a few others who would rather trust Wikipedia at its worst.

oldsig

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not really an Air Force though, just the largest fleet of 1 and 2 Seat Private Supersonic Jets as Air USA would not be able to arm them. Not legally anyway.
Sorry mate, I'll insert quotes in future when I'm being less than literal. It's indeed true that it will be an "air force" not an Air Force. Unless some judge decides that the second amendment applies to well regulated air militia as well. ;) <---smiley

oldsig

John Newman

The Bunker Group

oldsig
Yes I tend to agree, 'up to 46' is probably pretty accurate.

Here's a recent article from Andrew McL of ADBR:

The relevant paragraph:

Several classic Hornets have already been retired and parked-up at Williamtown, while at least three of a planned 25 jets have been transferred to Canada to bolster the RCAF’s CF-18 Hornet fleet until replaced in the late 2020s. A March 5 media release from Defence Industry Minister Melissa Price stated that “up to 46” Hornets will be sold to US-based training services provider Air USA, although the actual number is believed to be about 38 with the remainder allocated to museums in Australia.

On top of that, I also read something a couple of months back (can't remember where or find the link), but there was a suggestion that Canada might not take all 25 airframes (18 operation and 7 for spares), the article was suggesting that all of those spare airframes might not be required.

Anyway, at the end of the day if we end up with 8-10 airframes staying here in Oz it will be a good result.

Cheers,

John Newman

The Bunker Group
Bit of an update from ADF-Serials regarding the RAAF's procurement of F-35A:

As of about a month ago it appears that 24 airframes have been completed and are flying (that doesn't necessarily mean that all have been handed over to the RAAF as of today).

In a nutshell, 6 of the 15 due from LRIP-12 are complete, with another 9 to go before end of the year.

If all goes to plan the RAAF will have 33 airframes in it's possession by years end, enough for both 1 Sqn and 2 OCU.

Cheers,

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Yes I tend to agree, 'up to 46' is probably pretty accurate.

Here's a recent article from Andrew McL of ADBR:

The relevant paragraph:

Several classic Hornets have already been retired and parked-up at Williamtown, while at least three of a planned 25 jets have been transferred to Canada to bolster the RCAF’s CF-18 Hornet fleet until replaced in the late 2020s. A March 5 media release from Defence Industry Minister Melissa Price stated that “up to 46” Hornets will be sold to US-based training services provider Air USA, although the actual number is believed to be about 38 with the remainder allocated to museums in Australia.

On top of that, I also read something a couple of months back (can't remember where or find the link), but there was a suggestion that Canada might not take all 25 airframes (18 operation and 7 for spares), the article was suggesting that all of those spare airframes might not be required.

Anyway, at the end of the day if we end up with 8-10 airframes staying here in Oz it will be a good result.

Cheers,
Given the likely severe economic consequences of the pandemic, junior’s government probably would like to add to the 25 because I can’t see this government or the next, regardless of of party, buying 88 new jets. There simply won’t be any money given our current bailout plans. The size of the bailout is likely going to increase.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sorry mate, I'll insert quotes in future when I'm being less than literal. It's indeed true that it will be an "air force" not an Air Force. Unless some judge decides that the second amendment applies to well regulated air militia as well. ;) <---smiley

oldsig
Jeez don't encourage them.

"Nothing is being removed, even the jet's Link 16 data-link system and its internal M61 20mm Vulcan cannon are staying put".

Yes I know, you still need to put ammo through that cannon. But......

This guy has some serious connections.

"He now holds eight licenses with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), allowing him to own military machine guns and cannons, as well as thousands of rounds of ammunition to fire through them".

I'm more than just in a little bit of disbelief of this to be honest.

Last edited:

SteveR

The question of more P-8As, or not, could also be coloured by some news in the last few days regarding Triton:

And this:

It appears USN and RAAF may have come to an agreement to purchase 5 more MQ-4Cs between them to bridge the gap:

But I do wonder where the second Main Operating Base mentioned in this link will be located - RAAF 42 Wing or JF HQ? I recall the first MOB will be located at RAAF Edinburgh.

Last edited:

Boagrius

Spotted this and it got me thinking about what our options might be vis a vis AIR6500:
The U.S. Department of Defense has awarded Pentagon’s No.1 weapons supplier Lockheed Martin Corp contract to produce Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) interceptors and associated equipment.

The contract, announced on 30 April, is valued at $6.07 billion and will run through to fiscal year 23 contract years...

..In March 2018, U.S. and Polish officials also formalized an agreement for Poland to purchase Lockheed Martin’s PAC-3 Missile Segment Enhancement missiles and related support equipment.
My initial impression is that a Patriot based solution centred on an outer layer of PAAC4/David's Sling (rather than GEM-T) and an inner layer of PAC3-MSE/CRI ought to tick all the boxes. NASAMS2 is a great system for what it does but I doubt it will have much BMD utility. With IBCS the whole thing could be linked into the broader air picture which is exactly what AIR6500 is all about.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Patriot is an old system now and I remember reading somewhere recently that it required replacement. Can't remember the source. Therefore I would suggest that you cast around first just to make sure that it would be the right system and fits in with Australian CONOPS.

Boagrius

Fair enough, will do some more digging. I was under the impression that Patriot is set to soldier on for a while longer with Raytheon recently winning the LTAMDS contract.
That said I would not be at all surprised to find out that a replacement is being sought in the longer term as the system is certainly starting to get on in years as you say.