Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Appears by online reports that another RAAF aircraft had engine trouble, does anyone know what the problem seems to be and is it possibly related to the loss of a Growler a while ago?

'The ground shook': RAAF jet dumps fuel tank after malfunction

Edit

By this article the aircraft nation is unknown,

Pitch Black: Fuel tank ejected from plane over Darwin during international air force exercise - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
The aircraft was a USAF F16 according to a radio report I just listened to and further the tank did not split and all fuel was retained.

SpazSinbad

"Drop tank" did not split? I find that an incredible outcome IF there was fuel in it. Perhaps the drop tank was empty? That makes sense to me - been there - done that. Meanwhile a long story at USNI about the SINKEX x2 RIMPAC & Harpponies & Mk.48s in which our P-8 did fire an HARPOON. Found the penultimate para most interesting.
"...The second SINKEX put ex-USS McClusky (FFG-41), an Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigate, at the bottom of the ocean much faster than anticipated. The Singapore Navy shot two Harpoon missiles at the frigate, and “typically if you shoot a Harpoon and it hits above the waterline it’ll punch a hole and blow up but it won’t sink a ship; theirs just happened to hit at the waterline and the ship started sinking about halfway through the event, so there were some countries that didn’t get to shoot their missiles and weapons, but for the most part the SINKEXs have been a success.”..." VIDEO: Navy May Bring Back Harpoon Missiles on Attack Subs After Successful SINKEX 30 Jul 2018 Megan Eckstein

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The aircraft was a USAF F16 according to a radio report I just listened to and further the tank did not split and all fuel was retained.
I'd bet that the radio station read this in the ABC coverage....

"We've located the fuel tank, we know exactly where it is and there was no damage whatsoever," he said.
"It landed in bushland without causing any damage at all."
....and assumed that there was no damage to the tank, rather than to anything on the ground as intended by the RAAF spokesperson.

Darwin being Darwin, I'd sure he was pissed it didn't hit another ute!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'd bet that the radio station read this in the ABC coverage....
....and assumed that there was no damage to the tank, rather than to anything on the ground as intended by the RAAF spokesperson.
Darwin being Darwin, I'd sure he was pissed it didn't hit another ute!
The earlier one sure did some damage to the ute.
AND... no crocodiles were hurt. :-( This is front page stuff indeed.
Good thing to. Because they are protected image the paperwork that would have to be filled out. Be horrendous & we know how much you flyboys just love filling out non aviation related paperwork. :D

SpazSinbad

I don't understand the need for coyness. IF it was an fuel tank empty or not 'they' should say whether it had fuel or not, to stop useless speculation by numnuts otherwise - "large piece of aircraft" pigsbum! :)
Search crews scour thick bushland in Wishart looking for large piece of a Pitch Black aircraft seen falling from the sky 31 Jul 2018 NATASHA EMECK
"...“Lt Col Joseph Miranda, 80th Fighter Squadron commander, said the United States Air Force F-16 experienced a malfunction on takeoff at RAAF Base Darwin. “The pilot jettisoned the aircraft’s external fuel tank in accordance with emergency checklist procedures and safely recovered the aircraft at RAAF Base Darwin,” LTCOL Miranda said....

...Safety is our highest priority and in accordance with our usual environmental considerations, a spill kit trailer has been deployed to the site,” AIRCDRE Kitcher said. “The ADF can confirm the fuel tank was located in bushland south of Darwin and there has been no significant damage to property...." No cookies | NT News

pussertas

Air Force Takes Virtual Exercise to New Heights
(Source: Royal Australian Air Force; issued July 27, 2018)

Exercise Virtual Pitch Black 2018 (VPB18) has taken virtual training to a new level for the Royal Australian Air Force even before the "live" exercise launched on 27 Jul 18.

VPB18 was conceived as a work-up to Exercise Pitch Black 2018 as a highly-complex, multi-national large force exercise that provided integration and training opportunities for the Air Force to work with key coalition and regional partners.

The main training audiences for VPB18 came from 41 Wing who provided ground-based Command and Control (C2) of air assets, Number 2 Squadron who provided airborne C2 with their E-7A Virtual Wedgetail and Number 37 Squadron operating in the low-level tactical environment using their C-130J full-motion cockpit simulator.

Wing Commander Mick Tully, VPB18 Exercise Director, said the exercise was about taking the highly complex Pitch Black live environment into the virtual space.

"This is to provide training opportunities and exposure to environments ahead of time for the aircrew and operators to experience on Exercise Pitch Black 18," Wing Commander Tully said.

“A highly experienced team was contracted through MilSkil in order to develop a set of scenarios that would adequately prepare the training audience for the “live” Pitch Black exercise.

“This MilSkil team filled key white-force roles to ensure maximum realism for briefing, planning and execution - the exercise was able to fully meet intent.”

VPB18 was enabled by the Air Warfare Centre’s – Distributed Training Centre (AWC-DTC) at RAAF Base Williamtown, a system developed by the Defence Science and Technology Group.

Simulator sites across Air Force are networked using the Defence Training and Experimentation Network (DTEN), with the AWC-DTC enabling exercise control as well as blue and red force injects.

Beyond the ability to connect remote simulators for mission execution, VPB18 provided the opportunity for Air Battle Managers, ground and air, to actively plan with fighter aircraft (MilSkil) and C-130J Hercules aircrew as it will be done in the live Pitch Black exercise.

“VPB18 was a perfect introduction for junior C-130 crews. Scenarios facilitated the airlift role nicely and allowed crews the opportunity to practice establishing contracts with the Offensive Counter Air, Strike and Command and Control packages” said VPB18 C-130J Hercules Lead Planner, Flight Lieutenant Chris Bennie.

The AWC-DTC will continue to expand the networked virtual capabilities for Air Force, with these types of exercises becoming more and more common. The future intent of the AWC-DTC is to provide a standing capability within Air Force to conduct distributed training in the virtual environment on demand, rather than as discreet activities.

“We are merging simulators that have existed separately, but not together as one. We are creating a training system that is integrated and enables a level of complexity, density, scale and fidelity that can work for all,” Wing Commander Tully said.

“Live, Virtual and Constructive (LVC) activities allow Air Force to integrate and exercise our advanced capabilities and tactics in a safe and secure environment without the necessity and cost of getting them airborne.

“Exercises like Virtual Pitch Black demonstrate the value of virtual training while enabling the continual development and expansion of Air Force’s distributed training capabilities.”

SpazSinbad

Just after takeoff there would almost certainly be fuel in the tank.
Not necessarily. Drop tanks if used often or not are left on because there is usually negligible performance loss if they are empty and left on. I guess one can look at an F-16 Dash One flight manual (if we know the size of the centerline drop tank) to work it out. The F-16 may take off with tank empty to then take on fuel from a tanker as part of the mission. Who knows. However making a claim that the tank is near full is fraught methinks. From experience an empty tank may survive with severe dents but intact. Whereas a tank of fuel dropping even as the aircraft lifts off (which happened to an A4G at Nowra - bad connection) the tank will burst into small bits of metal. So now we need to know the state of this tank (frankly 'I don't give a damn' but hey it must be a slow news day). :)

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not necessarily. Drop tanks if used often or not are left on because there is usually negligible performance loss if they are empty and left on. I guess one can look at an F-16 Dash One flight manual (if we know the size of the centerline drop tank) to work it out. The F-16 may take off with tank empty to then take on fuel from a tanker as part of the mission. Who knows. However making a claim that the tank is near full is fraught methinks. From experience an empty tank may survive with severe dents but intact. Whereas a tank of fuel dropping even as the aircraft lifts off (which happened to an A4G at Nowra - bad connection) the tank will burst into small bits of metal. So now we need to know the state of this tank (frankly 'I don't give a damn' but hey it must be a slow news day). :)
Subsequent reporting on the incident states that the tank was full, it did destroy itself and a fuel cleanup ensued.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
The article does point out that the C-27J can access 1900 available landing fields in Australia compared to 500 for the C-130J, an important consideration. A shame this aircraft wasn't selected for Canada's FWSAR program.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Where were the RAAF in the Lombock disaster?
You could say the same about us Kiwis. We do have an internationally certified USAR (Urban SAR) team. Having said that, maybe Indonesia hasn't asked for international help.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You could say the same about us Kiwis. We do have an internationally certified USAR (Urban SAR) team. Having said that, maybe Indonesia hasn't asked for international help.
Maybe so. I heard Julie Bishop interviewed two days ago saying that we were ready to provide assistance and waiting for advice on what Indonesia wanted.

oldsig

FORBIN

The Senator did in a roundabout way, I imagine RAAF will give advice on that out come. Using one of the pre-wired aircraft would still leave a a gap in capability in force structure, but that single aircraft can do both roles.

Even if we ordered new build attrition aircraft today it still take a couple of years pending if the US gives us slots again. they are expecting IOC/FOC for F35A in 2023 5 years away my guess 6 pre-wired will be brought up to Growler configuration and the case for remaining 28 buy in brought forward. seems the only logical financial choice to me. But the other aspect of this is what is the attrition numbers built into the F35A buy in?
For it look here F-18 fleet The Royal Australian Air Force

Except OCU ( 20 F-18s ) in general 15 birds by Sqn so x 3 + OCU do 65 remains about 7
I add now all the F-18 from 3 Sqn are with 77 Sqn wich have 31 F-18s, 3 Sqn have only F-35A six

BTW considering F-18E have only 8 years if RAAF buy saying in 2025 -30 28 new F-35A for a total of 100 seems logic keep young F-18E with especialy China ramp up … have more fighters and a new Sqn stand up ?
Even if the fleet is very modern and no direct threats around Australia 110 combattants with EA-18G is a number a little just.

Last edited: