Welcome to DefenceTalk.com Forum!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

Discussion in 'Air Force & Aviation' started by Todjaeger, Mar 12, 2007.

Share This Page

1. zhaktronz

zhaktronz Member

There was an anti-radiation version of SM-1 on the phantom, so... AMRAAM seeker on an SM-2 is probably possible.....

But yeah unless you're looking for extreme anti-bomber anti-awacs anti-MPA range just use an ESSM

2. ADMk2

ADMk2 Just a bloke Staff Member Verified Defense Pro

SM-1 was also only 4.7m long and weighed 1500lbs, quite a difference to the SM-6,,,

3. SpazSinbad

SpazSinbad Active Member

4. SpazSinbad

SpazSinbad Active Member

Recent video of the Super Hornet Block III changes showing a simulator with the new displays amongst other things:

Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet Block III 02 Mar 2018

View attachment 45764 View attachment 45764 SupaHornBlockIIIdisplayScreenie.jpg

robsta83 likes this.
  5. jack412

jack412 Member

A quick question for a guy who asked me on another forum about what was the french stuff..

There was an issue with procurement, where the french blackmailed us to buy a product or they wouldn't supply spare parts to another. I think helo?

During the Vietnam war, someone denied us taking their products there. It was euro, was it the mirage or something else?

The yanks weren't happy with Thales.au and a navy contract 5-10 years ago?. They had possible access to their stuff issues.

PM me if you don't want to mess the flow of this thread, thanks

6. Todjaeger

Todjaeger Potstirrer

The issue during the Vietnam deployment was that France denied Australia permission and/or support to deploy the Mirage to Vietnam. One result of that is that when the Mirages came up for replacement, Australia looked elsewhere for a replacement fighter.

The US also has issue with a number of foreign nations/manufacturers having access to US defence IP, which can make systems integration even more problematic than it normally is, with France being one of the erstwhile allies that the US has issues with from a security and manufacturing perspective.

7. Takao

Takao New Member

To add to Todjaeger - ammunition supply for the 84mm Carl Gustav was also constrained during the Vietnam War for political reasons; although that doesn't seem to have hurt that procurement option.

8. t68

t68 Active Member

What was the French objection to the RAAF using Mirage in Vietnam, after all the French used just about everyone else aircraft when it suited them. But then it's one way to restrict your future trade deals.

9. Milne Bay

Milne Bay Member

Yes quite rich from the French after their own involvement in Vietnam.
    I recall seeing film of the French using F-4U Corsairs during the Dien Bien Phu battle.
    MB

10. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

StingrayOZ likes this.
  11. old faithful

old faithful Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

Didn't stop us buying Tigers though.....bugger!

John Fedup likes this.
  12. MARKMILES77

MARKMILES77 Member

Not sure this has been discussed here.
    Would give the RAAF a cutting edge capability which magnifies the performance of the SuperHornets and F35s

13. Joe Black

Joe Black Member

Hey, just wondering if RAAF would go down the same path and upgrade the Rhinos too. I recall folks here mentioned that RAAF is in lock step with the USN on the Rhinos/Growlers. Would make sense to do the upgrade too right?

14. hairyman

hairyman Member

Growlers yes. Rhinos, it depends how long we are going to keep them for.

15. Stampede

Stampede Member

A question re the F35.

I wonder if the price between the A and C model had being closer would the RAAF have had a preference for the longer range F35C.
    Just like the Australia's classic Hornet, it would see its service life out as a conventional land based platform with no intention for sea based operation.
    Maybe a thought when a decision is made re the future of the Super Hornet.

Thoughts S

16. John Fedup

John Fedup Well-Known Member

Really can't see the price ever getting close enough to justify the C over the A. Better corrosion resistance, tougher landing gear, more surface control area, and some extra range are nice features but how how many more millions per plane are you willing to pay? I think the more interesting debate is a mixture of As and Bs.

PeterM likes this.
  17. t68

t68 Active Member

I think out of all three variants the A is a no brainier for the RAAF for majority of the fleet with its lighter and higher max g rating and internal gun leaving available a hard point available for other weapons or fuel.

Unlike the RN/RAF and the QECV they are going to need attrition airframes over the life of QECV and they also have Typhoon, the main question would be what replaces Typhoon for the UK in the future.

As for the B in RAAF service I can see some gains even without using them from a light carrier "proximity means capability" doesn't always mean they have to be tied to a ship what the USMC call Expeditionary Airfield Capability or FARP, but with so few aircraft(28) would it be justified capability that also means which service is responsible for building Army engineers or a new capability within RAAF?

Prepping The Ground - Second Line of Defense

MickB and PeterM like this.
  18. ASSAIL

ASSAIL Defense Professional Verified Defense Pro

19. t68

t68 Active Member

I'm still mystified on why 10 and not 12?

Jezza likes this.
  20. Stampede

Stampede Member

12 would seem the traditional number, but if I recall the final call was based on one; cost, and two, that it was believed the final number chosen would provide sufficient flight hours for tasks demanded.......................................Which I think is political speak for cost.

I have heard that down the track if the aircraft meets expectations then further aircraft will be acquired. I understand there is much optimism with those involved with the project both for its future, and also potential in other roles.
    The challenge for future purchase's may lie with availability. If future sales are not found byLeonardo,the Spartan may end up with a rather short production life.
    Hopefully not the case
    If still available, fingers crossed for an increase to the fleet as I believe it is a good fit for a balanced RAAF.

Regards S

Wombat000 likes this.