Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

rjtjrt

RAAF Avalon articles
AVALON: EA-18G Growler makes downunder debut
Intersting that Australia is investing in Next Gen Jammer. RAAF will thus get this in due course - it seemed likely we would but this announcement seems to pretty much confirm this assumption, and also RAAF won't have to wait for it to be released for non US purchase (I assumed we would have to wait a bit as even though we are (or were) close some things are still not for non US sale.
Wonder if we will have input into any extra threats Jammer will counter that US may not prioritise? In that I am mindful of Kim Beasely and our unhappiness in not getting source codes for F-18 radar so as to allow us to counter Western supplied military equipment of potential adversaries.
I am probably/definitely way behind the current situation re EW.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Curious as to why the aircraft was static and not airborne for a more realistic test?
depends on the test

eg first eval might be based on a static test, latter devs then go to airborne at various altitudes or in different environments. eg LOS, then congested comms air space etc....

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Defence has just released this video of F22 Raptors at RAAF Tindal.
Interesting that a RAAF pilot has a dream exchange job flying one of the Raptors deployed here in the north, the only foreign pilot to do so.

https://youtu.be/Gm7Ljy1nFcQ

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Defence has just released this video of F22 Raptors at RAAF Tindal.
Interesting that a RAAF pilot has a dream exchange job flying one of the Raptors deployed here in the north, the only foreign pilot to do so.

https://youtu.be/Gm7Ljy1nFcQ
he's been designing the training packages

Lieutenant Colonel Skalicky says “ What FLTLT Grady talked about – his contribution to the 90th and USAF, well…he is being a little modest in that. He was actually our squadron’s Instructor Pilot of the Year, an award he won from the entire 3rd Wing, which is about five squadrons worth of different aircraft. So he is an absolute asset not only to the 90th, 3rd Wing, but the United States Air Force and we are honoured to have him flying along side of us.”

“The exercise we are conducting is actually one that FLTLT Grady built – a rolling fictitious scenario involving some high end threats that optimise the capabilities of the F22 and F18 to show what we can really do. It has problems that the F-22 can’t solve on its own and problems the F-18 can’t solve alone. So it forces us to combine and realise that interoperability and what we can do together as a team.”

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
IHS 360 Avalon release

CREF what I've said earlier re Plan Jericho and all available aircraft being eared up

Avalon 2017: RAAF and Airbus to develop automated refuelling boom for KC-30A

Julian Kerr, Melbourne - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
02 March 2017
The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and Airbus are to partner in developing an automatic capability for the air-to-air refuelling boom on the Airbus KC-30A multi-role tanker transport (MRTT).

An agreement signed on 2 March at the Avalon international air show near Melbourne by chief of air force Air Marshal Leo Davis and Fernando Alonso, head of military aircraft at Airbus Defence and Space, covers the development of the automated boom.

However, Alonso said the RAAF would also co-operate in the three other elements of a Smart Tanker programme to further develop the KC-30A's capabilities. These involve developing the aircraft's connectivity to enable it to function as a command-and-control node; using 'big data' algorithms to provide predictive maintenance and improve operational availability; and developing enhanced satellite communications.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
ironic timing today considering all the discussions around Tiger last week

had a meeting today where Tiger was raised as the classic example of failed prev programs and the possible early replacement, lessons learnt.

and no, I can't say more in detail.

although I will attending some demos in the near future. :)

Milne Bay

ironic timing today considering all the discussions around Tiger last week

had a meeting today where Tiger was raised as the classic example of failed prev programs and the possible early replacement, lessons learnt.

and no, I can't say more in detail.

although I will attending some demos in the near future. :)
I wonder who is out here at the moment for Avalon ....... :)
I am sure that both Bell and Boeing would love to be at those demos too :)
MB