Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Darwins much nicer than Avalon, doesn't get as hot, or as cold, plus we still get to see lots of cool kit.
Doesn't get as hot? What???

The term 'cold drinking water' is completely un-heard of in Darwin in my experience...

I'll take Avalon any day thanks! ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Darwins much nicer than Avalon, doesn't get as hot, or as cold, plus we still get to see lots of cool kit.
having lived in darwin and been to many many hungees in that time I would suggest that you've fried your brain

bloody hell when ET was on and I had to go up there for some work as well as do the obligatory meet and greet with the rellies - I actually got nappy rash from chafing

most of the time Avalon is like tassie in a mild summer.

even the ducks used to try and come inside. the house looked like a pet park, rabbits, ducks, dogs, exhausted cats, the odd green tree frog, neighbours kids.... all trying to get out of the heat

home pool ownership ratios would have to rival brisbane :)

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Doesn't get as hot? What???

The term 'cold drinking water' is completely un-heard of in Darwin in my experience...

I'll take Avalon any day thanks! ;)
Down south every summer you get your 40plus heat waves, used to get so hot in adelaide we went basically January and February without opening the insulated roller shutters on the front of the house. Then in winter the heating bills would be higher than the summer cooling bills, could never get warm. In Darwin its high 20s to mid 30s year round with only the humidity an issue some of the time.

koala

Hawk 127"s

Hi all,
Just found a post on Wiki that suggests that our Hawk 127's are being upgraded to 128's with advanced electronics, HUD and Adour 951 engine.
With these upgrades and having a 30mm cannon, Sidewinders, ASSRAM and a bomb capability would they not be a formidable CAS for our army?
I always think the 127's are our forgotten soldier.

Cheers

Milne Bay

Hi all,
Just found a post on Wiki that suggests that our Hawk 127's are being upgraded to 128's with advanced electronics, HUD and Adour 951 engine.
With these upgrades and having a 30mm cannon, Sidewinders, ASSRAM and a bomb capability would they not be a formidable CAS for our army?
I always think the 127's are our forgotten soldier.

Cheers
I seriously doubt that these options will ever see service on the RAAF Hawks.
The upgrades will bring them into line as a transition to the F/A-18F Hornets, the Growlers, and to some extent the F-35's
As combat aircraft I see no future for them
MB

koala

I seriously doubt that these options will ever see service on the RAAF Hawks.
The upgrades will bring them into line as a transition to the F/A-18F Hornets, the Growlers, and to some extent the F-35's
As combat aircraft I see no future for them
MB
I just thought that they maybe a handy asset for Army CAS, but I think you at right that the upgrades wont be the full suite but just enough to keep them as trainers

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The RAAF's F-35A and F-18G Growler will make their public debut at Avalon on Friday 3rd March. Now I do wish I was going over for it. :( I read elsewhere that the first F-35As will be arriving next year.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I just thought that they maybe a handy asset for Army CAS, but I think you at right that the upgrades wont be the full suite but just enough to keep them as trainers
I recall reading at the time of the LIFT competition that the RAN and army were both keen for the RAAF to specify a more capable configuration of whatever aircraft was selected that would be capable of genuine CAS and realistic fleet support. The RAAF on the other hand were determined the type would be an unarmed lead in fighter trainer that wouldn't often (or preferably ever) be diverted to "purple" tasks. At the time of the comp the Hawk 200 single seater was in production and a variety of fully combat spec'd configurations of both the 100 and 200 were available, including versions with multimode radars.

The AMX two seater was also a contender and it was a trainer development of a purpose designed combat aircraft, while at the time (if I recall correctly) the SAAB JAS39 Gripen was being adopted as a test pilot trainer and being looked at as a high end LIFT (I could be misremembering). You have to wonder that had todays mindset been dominant at the time Hawk was selected something more flexible and warlike would have got up.

It is interesting when you look back at the late 60s when the Macchi was adopted, it was as an intermediate trainer with the Sabre serving as a LIFT. The need to replace the Sabre in the role is where the CAC CA31 supersonic delta winged trainer fit in and later the the RAAFs interest in the SEPECAT Jaguar. The eventual solution was the Mirage 111D, but you have to wonder, especially considering at about that time the Phantom was coming on line as an interim solution to the delay on the F-111. The RAAF really wanted to keep the Phantoms which would have removed a perceived need for a combat capable LIFT, as the RAAF would have had three front line combat types in addition to the RANs Skyhawks. Also had the rumoured acquisition of two squadrons' each of F-15s and AV-8B Harriers gone ahead the same would have applied, as if the RANs Skyhawks been upgraded and retained post Melbourne.

t68

I recall reading at the time of the LIFT competition that the RAN and army were both keen for the RAAF to specify a more capable configuration of whatever aircraft was selected that would be capable of genuine CAS and realistic fleet support. The RAAF on the other hand were determined the type would be an unarmed lead in fighter trainer that wouldn't often (or preferably ever) be diverted to "purple" tasks. At the time of the comp the Hawk 200 single seater was in production and a variety of fully combat spec'd configurations of both the 100 and 200 were available, including versions with multimode radars.

The AMX two seater was also a contender and it was a trainer development of a purpose designed combat aircraft, while at the time (if I recall correctly) the SAAB JAS39 Gripen was being adopted as a test pilot trainer and being looked at as a high end LIFT (I could be misremembering). You have to wonder that had todays mindset been dominant at the time Hawk was selected something more flexible and warlike would have got up.

It is interesting when you look back at the late 60s when the Macchi was adopted, it was as an intermediate trainer with the Sabre serving as a LIFT. The need to replace the Sabre in the role is where the CAC CA31 supersonic delta winged trainer fit in and later the the RAAFs interest in the SEPECAT Jaguar. The eventual solution was the Mirage 111D, but you have to wonder, especially considering at about that time the Phantom was coming on line as an interim solution to the delay on the F-111. The RAAF really wanted to keep the Phantoms which would have removed a perceived need for a combat capable LIFT, as the RAAF would have had three front line combat types in addition to the RANs Skyhawks. Also had the rumoured acquisition of two squadrons' each of F-15s and AV-8B Harriers gone ahead the same would have applied, as if the RANs Skyhawks been upgraded and retained post Melbourne.

Makes you wonder with hindsight should we have retained the scooters considering the valuable work the Kiwis did at Nowra.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It could even be argued we could have acquired more Skyhawk's and used them as LIFTs as Israel has done until very recently. Acquisition would have been cheaper but I'm not sure on through life costs, and then there is the fact the Hawks cockpit was specifically tailored to prepare pilots for the F/A-18, if not impossible, then likely prohibitively expensive to do on 60s vintage Skyhawk's.

hauritz

It could even be argued we could have acquired more Skyhawk's and used them as LIFTs as Israel has done until very recently. Acquisition would have been cheaper but I'm not sure on through life costs, and then there is the fact the Hawks cockpit was specifically tailored to prepare pilots for the F/A-18, if not impossible, then likely prohibitively expensive to do on 60s vintage Skyhawk's.
From what I have read, training for the F-35 will be largely simulator based so there will be no need for the mock-up fighter cockpits used by the RAAF Hawks.

In fact, the role of the training aircraft may need to be completely redefined.

Looking at the US T-X program it would seem that a much more capable aircraft than the Hawk may be needed. Norththrop Grumman in fact offered the Hawk ... but decided not to go ahead with it because of performance short comings.

It will be interesting to see the RAAF requirements for its next generation jet trainer.