Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Investments in precision strike technology for unconventional warfare

1. To be ready for unconventional warfare (be it IEDs or Scuds or MLRS) and to meet evolving air threats, the SAF needs to invest in precision strike technology (to avoid blue on blue). The SAF when deployed, faces both conventional warfare and unconventional warfare threats.

2. As such, new technology and new doctrines are necessary to face new threats. Part of the RSAF's force modernization plans - is the move towards network centric warfare and an "Effects Based Operations" (EBO) theory of air warfare.
Precision weapons... a key enabler of effects-based operations by providing the ability to hit critical system nodes accurately... [However,] precision weapons also allow militaries to prosecute destruction-based campaigns...

The potential payoffs from EBO are so attractive that we should continue to devote resources towards studying complex systems... [and] put in place the appropriate staff structures needed to perform higher-level operations planning.
EBO by CPT Choy​
3. The purchases of the F-16Ds, F-15SGs and the Apache Longbows are investments in precision strike technology that enables a fundamental conceptual change in the traditional view (a linear view of the battle with a clear 'front') of the FSCL(fire support co-ordination line) and BAI (battlefield air interdiction) in RSAF's concept of air-land integration (see animation) via a combination of precision stand-off and close-in fire in support of the Singapore army.

4. The conceptual change is to a non-linear view of battle, to enable the Singapore army to overwhelm the enemy through deliberate coordinated strikes from multiple directions (ie.coordinated swarming attacks * at 'multiple fronts' and 'the-depth' of the enemy at the same time).
American armour divisions demonstrated the ability to conduct a non-linear battle during Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). In OIF, three battalions (fewer than a thousand men) launched a violent thrust of tanks and armoured fighting vehicles into Baghdad via a "thunder-run". The thunder-run avoided a bloody street-by-street battle and brought Baghdad under coalition forces’ control in three days.
Thunder Runs by MAJ Goh​
5. SAF recognizes that precision strike by itself is not sufficient. In fact, there is ongoing debate in the US and Israel on the usefulness of EBO. Recently, Marine Corps Gen. James N. Mattis, head of US Joint Forces Command, slammed EBO as being too complex and vague, while others defend EBO. A rethink of SAF's concept of air-land integration is ongoing to ensure that our doctrine remains relevant to the enemies the SAF may face in the future.
[Amongst other problems with conventional armies] the military intelligence collection system has been optimised to obtain information on modern military forces, not for those involved in irregular conflicts... Sun Tzu argues that it is far more effective to attack an opponent's strategy than his army... Only strategic responses that incorporate both military and nonmilitary actions can achieve victory in low-intensity conflicts.
Footnote* : John Arquilla and David Ronfeldt, "SWARMING and the Future of Conflict", RAND, 2003.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dear Aussie Digger would you consider renaming this thread as "Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions" instead of the current title?

Admin: Done. GF

Many, many thanks for making the change gf0012-aust!

OPSSG

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Project Runway - RSAF style

On Nov 27, The Straits Times (Singapore) reported that the RSAF's Air Power Generation Command (APGC) will be conducting "Project Runway" on 2.5km of the 6 lane, Lim Chu Kang Road - on the last weekend of November (i.e. this Sat & Sun).

Currently in its sixth edition of the series, "Project Runway" or the Alternate Runway Exercise will involve the following aircraft:
(i) 4 x F-16Ds (Block 52+)
(ii) 4 x F-16Cs
(iii) 4 x F-5s
(iv) 1 x E2C

"Col Tan... said: 'In war, runways are one of the key targets for the enemy.'... Its [i.e. APGC] field defence troops will be on duty round the clock to keep trespassers out during the exercise."

[a hat tip to ChineseJunk for the comprehensive updates elsewhere]

The Singapore Police has also put out a schedule of road closures online.

Code One: Jan 03 issue
RSAF Road Warriers by David Boey
[Provides good background reading on the objective of "Project Runway"]

Several pilots in the Republic of Singapore Air Force exceeded the posted speed limit... on a roadway outside Tengah Air Base, Singapore’s main fighter base... They were flying Block 52 F-16s. Local police officials simply stood by and watched as the pilots roared by. These rare roadway activities are part of a runway exercise conducted every five years by the RSAF so pilots can practice emergency takeoffs, touch-and-gos, and landings...

The RSAF lays out three objectives for the exercise:
(i) to hone its readiness and ability for wartime contingencies when its base runways are temporarily incapacitated;
(ii) to exercise support procedures with civil agencies, such as the Land Transport Authority and Traffic Police; and
(iii) to foster greater understanding of the RSAF with residents living around Tengah AB...

In November’s drill... RSAF fighters and one E-2C Hawkeye Airborne Early Warning aircraft performed a total of twenty takeoffs, touch-and-go maneuvers, and landings on Lim Chu Kang Road within eighteen minutes.

All RSAF fighter types took part in the exercise. Including the E-2C in the exercise was challenging, though, as its wingspan is about a foot wider than the six-lane motorway.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Here's pictures and a video from Sunday's alternate runway exercise.

(i) Video of landings from Mindef; and

(ii) Mindef has also released pictures here.

2. Singapore's DSTA and ST Aerospace have won an award in Nov 2008 for a new Mission Computer (MC) and software to be installed in Singapore's advanced air platforms. This indigenous integration capability will expand the operational utility and the lifespan of the older F-16s.

3. Evidently, DSTA makes a real effort to ensure that Singapore's in-country capability is built up through an in-depth technology transfer from the US to Singapore. 50 Singapore engineers from DSTA, the SAF and ST Aerospace, in 10 engineering disciplines were trained.

4. In the case of the Apache purchase, Boeing and DSTA won the Gruppo Agusta International Helicopter Fellowship award for work to improve the Apache. Their work on chemical coatings on joints prevented corrosion and resulted in an avoidance cost of S$40 million in maintenance.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Swift evacuation by RSAF Chinook saves Royal Navy sailor

Ashok Palaniappan said:
Swift evacuation by RSAF Chinook saves Royal Navy sailor

On 18 Dec 08 at around 4.12pm, the the RSAF Air Operations Centre (AOC) received a call for assistance from the Royal Navy ship, HMS ECHO.

The multi-role survey vessel was sailing to Singapore through the South China Sea when one of its crew members, Leading Rate (LH) Ryan Cleary, had a critical health condition that required dedicated medical facilities and attention.

The ship's location then was beyond the range of the conventional rescue option, the Super Puma helicopter.

Instead of waiting for HMS ECHO to sail closer to Singapore, which would have taken another five hours or so, Lieutenant-Colonel (LTC) Vincent Chin from the AOC decided to save precious time by activating the Long-Range Search and Rescue option, with the CH-47 Chinook helicopter carrying out the casualty evacuation.

It was the RSAF's first Long-Range Rescue and heading the rescue mission was Commanding Officer 127 Squadron (SQN), LTC Low Chung Guan. With the support of his co-pilot Major (MAJ) Andy Lim, LTC Low was able to take off within 45 minutes from the time of activation.

Upon arriving at the ship, the Medical Officer Captain (CPT) (Dr) Charles Goh was winched down to the deck to make an initial assessment on the then-unconscious LH Cleary. The team then promptly winched LH Cleary off the ship and evacuated him to the National University Hospital, where he underwent further treatment.
A hat tip to bdique for posting it elsewhere first.

I guess with the increased range provided by the conforma fuel tanks on the fixed wing jets, the RSAF must also develop a corresponding Long-Range Rescue capability. I'm glad to see that this new capability will benefit seamen sailing in the South China Sea.

Last edited:

Red

Here are some nice videos courtesy of Pirate from Alert5 who went to Exercise Torrent 2008(where RSAF planes land and take off from a public road). Singapore`s roads are built to be converted into runaways in times of exigencies to ensure continuous air power generation and aerial dominance.

Last appearance of E-2C AEW planes in this exercise(it will be replaced by new Phalcon G550 AEW planes)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLs2Wzxj_HU"]YouTube - Last RSAF E-2C appearance at Exercise Torrent[/ame]

F-16C Blk 52

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL-r25tr6io"]YouTube - RSAF Exercise Torrent 2008 - F-16C[/ame]

F-16D+ Blk 52(with conformal fueltanks on)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsBrZqFKeNM"]YouTube - RSAF Exercise Torrent 2008 - F-16D Blk 52+[/ame]

F-5S(upgraded to shoot Amraams with new avionics, etc)They will be replaced by F-35s early next decade together with the F16s much later in batches)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAdC_DnG5Z4"]YouTube - RSAF Exercise Torrent 2008 - F-5S[/ame]

Complete video;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnkNaF45BK0"]YouTube - RSAF Exercise Torrent 2008 - HD[/ame]

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The first G550 CAEW has come home to Singapore and increase the RSAF's battle space management capabilities. The E-2C have provided 22 years of service.
Any idea of planned IOC for the new aircraft?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any idea of planned IOC for the new aircraft?
Your guess would be as good as mine. But some reports suggest that all 4 G550 CAEW are expected to be operational by 2010 and will operate with the Air Defence and Operations Command during mission execution.

It will become clear, why I say we will not know, as I explain further. I expect the G550 CAEWs to be inducted into the 111 Squadron, which is an operational squadron operating the E-2C. The squadron will not stand-down, so it will not have a meaningful IOC date. If they have a IOC date, it will be ceremonial.

One of the drivers of the G550 CAEW acquisition is lower operating costs and RSAF would like to keep costs down. I know that RSAF pilots are being or have been certified to operate the G550. DSTA and the local contractor has been working on integration. My guess is that there is more than one variant of the G550 CAEW (but I do not expect the variants to be declassified) and if there are no integration issues, IOC will be a few months away. The RSAF will be training or retraining the existing sensor operators and this would take another few months, therefore the 2010 time frame is about right.

Last edited:

Red

Here`s the artcle from Singapore`s Mindef;

RSAF's First Gulfstream 550 Airborne Early Warning Aircraft Returns to Singapore

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1972/gfstreamju5.jpg
Picture of E-2C versus its replacement

Posted: 19 Feb 2009, 1900 hours (Time is GMT +8 hours)

The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) received its first Gulfstream 550 Airborne Early Warning (G550-AEW) aircraft at Tengah Air Base this evening. Chief of Air Force, Major-General Ng Chee Khern, officiated at the homecoming ceremony.

The RSAF has acquired a total of four G550-AEW aircraft to replace its ageing E-2C Hawkeye aircraft which have served the Air Force well for more than 20 years. Equipped with a sophisticated mission suite that includes an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar, the G550-AEW aircraft is able to detect, identify and track aerial targets. The G550-AEW aircraft has a longer detection range than the E2C Hawkeye - more than 200 nautical miles. This will allow the RSAF to see farther and respond more effectively to various operational situations.

The advanced airborne early warning capabilities offered by the G550-AEW aircraft will enhance the robustness of Singapore's networked air defence system.

Soure: Singapore Mindef

Red

The RSAF will be training or retraining the existing sensor operators and this would take another few months, therefore the 2010 time frame is about right.
They can also leverage on Israel`s usage of the Gulfstream AEW & C planes during the Gaza operation. I agree that the beginning of 2010 for "IOC" would be about there.

Red

Go to page 50. The AEW & C Gulfstreams can also be equipped with powerful SAR systems providing an even clearer long range land and sea picture in addition to an outstanding air surveillance picture. It is speculative if Israel and Singapore have incorporated them in thier AEW & C systems. However, it would definitely be very useful in the cluttered environments both Singapore and Israel are operating in. I think there is reason to suspect that such a system is on the Israeli AEW & C planes and that they were used during the GAZA operation. Comments?

http://www.zinio.com/express3?issue=368748439

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/channel_dti.jsp?channel=dti

cm07

Watch out when the Water treaty expires in 2011. "Project North Singapore" will kick into phase :D
Techincally the Singapore-Riau water pipeline has been completed for a few years by now. With a capacity to draw triple our daily consumption of water, the current purchase of Malaysian water is probably just to "lower material costs".

splat

Banned Member
Which begs the question of why you are talking about theoretical max speeds.

Well, I fully respect your experience, but perhaps you really may need to read more carefully. I did state that my statements were applied in the case when the Eagle was in a normal loadout. That means that if an air-to-air engagement was required, then air-to-ground stores would have to be jettisoned, and my earlier statement would not hold anymore, as I have qualified myself so. I also said that that would not be the case when in afterburner, or when in an intercept - and you brought out an exact case where an interception occurs to illustrate your point. By the way, did Mig-25s even come up to challenge the USAF? I am under the impression that they were buried, 3 feet under. ;)

I am also fairly certain that Mach 2.5 is rarely achieved. I heard that at that speeds the canopy actually started melting from the heat, though I have no way to confirm that.

proof? :D It is exactly this reason why my first post was the way it was. It was exactly so to underline the one constant among all who participate in this thread - no one knows what are Singapore's requirements for sure. Hence no one can say 'I'm sure' with respect to the reasons for Singapore's aircraft choice.
I read some where 1 FA18 was downed by a mig25 in irak/gulf war 1

the road runner

I read some where 1 FA18 was downed by a mig25 in irak/gulf war 1
Intresting Splat,and Gday mate.Its Intresting as i know 2 F18s were shot down in GW1.Both pilots were KIA.I only have info on 1 F18C flown by VFA-81,the Pilot was Spike Speicher(RIP),he was on a defence supression mission and was shot down by a SA-6 missle.(17th January)

The second loss was a F/A18A of VFA-87.I have no info on this(except it was lost on 5th February) and am thinking(after seeing your post Splat) it was destroyed by the MIG25? :confused:

Another 4 hornets were lost to non combat causes,two of them in a mid-air collision between USMC Aircraft on March 8th.

splat

Banned Member
Intresting Splat,and Gday mate.Its Intresting as i know 2 F18s were shot down in GW1.Both pilots were KIA.I only have info on 1 F18C flown by VFA-81,the Pilot was Spike Speicher(RIP),he was on a defence supression mission and was shot down by a SA-6 missle.(17th January)

The second loss was a F/A18A of VFA-87.I have no info on this(except it was lost on 5th February) and am thinking(after seeing your post Splat) it was destroyed by the MIG25? :confused:

Another 4 hornets were lost to non combat causes,two of them in a mid-air collision between USMC Aircraft on March 8th.

Yeah it might be the second loss with the FA18 of VFA-87.
In a book titled The complete guide to fighter and bomber aircraft of the world a bit saying the only confirmed Iraqi air-to-air victory of the gulf war of 1991 was scored by a Mig-25 over a US navy FA18 hornet.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
G'day mates! :D

How does the discussion on the F-18 shoot down relate to Transient's post and the RSAF? 'Cos, I don't see it?

splat

Banned Member
G'day mates! :D

How does the discussion on the F-18 shoot down relate to Transient's post and the RSAF? 'Cos, I don't see it?
Sory mate,point taken..it was just the bit about,"did the Mig25's even come up to challenge the USAF".Just sparked something in my memory about some tid bit of imformation that i had read somewhere.