Republic of Singapore Air Force Discussions

swerve

Super Moderator
.The four LPDs are considered large for a small country like Singapore.

However, it will be better if RSN procure additional two Landing Helicopter
Decks to enhance the four that we have.

Will that be a possibility as normally 1 squadron comprise of 6 vessels.
You're suggesting that Singapore, which has the largest amphibious fleet in the world in proportion to its size, population, & wealth, needs more? Why? I think you need more than a bald statement that "it will be better" to justify such a massively disproportionate force. Remember, ships need money & manpower, which would be at the expense of some other capability. What would you go without for these ships?

BTW, ideas of the normal size of a squadron of ships have no significance in this matter.

ROCK45

Singapore advance trainer news

I found this article about Singapore advance trainers thought I would add it to the thread. I happen to like all three of these trainers and think all would be assets.

Singapore poised to issue advanced jet trainer shortlist
DATE:23/05/08
SOURCE:Flight International
By Siva Govindasamy
Singapore could issue a shortlist of manufacturers and prime contractors for its advanced jet training programme by the end of June, with industry sources expecting the nation's defence ministry, Defence Science and Technology Agency and air force to hold briefings for the shortlisted candidates earlier the same month. There, further details on the requirement will be revealed, enabling the remaining contenders to refine their bids.

The Alenia Aermacchi M-346, BAE Systems Hawk 128 and Korea Aerospace Industries/Lockheed Martin T-50 have all undergone flight demonstrations for Singapore over the last few months, but it has so far only given the bidders broad guidelines on what it wants for the programme, leaving them to recommend aircraft numbers and costs.

Singapore could issue a shortlist of manufacturers and prime contractors for its advanced jet training programme by the end of June, with industry sources expecting the nation's defence ministry, Defence Science and Technology Agency and air force to hold briefings for the shortlisted candidates earlier the same month. There, further details on the requirement will be revealed, enabling the remaining contenders to refine their bids.

The Alenia Aermacchi M-346, BAE Systems Hawk 128 and Korea Aerospace Industries/Lockheed Martin T-50 have all undergone flight demonstrations for Singapore over the last few months, but it has so far only given the bidders broad guidelines on what it wants for the programme, leaving them to recommend aircraft numbers and costs.

Link
http://www.flightglobal.com/article...-to-issue-advanced-jet-trainer-shortlist.html

LazerLordz

Verified Defense Pro
You're suggesting that Singapore, which has the largest amphibious fleet in the world in proportion to its size, population, & wealth, needs more? Why? I think you need more than a bald statement that "it will be better" to justify such a massively disproportionate force. Remember, ships need money & manpower, which would be at the expense of some other capability. What would you go without for these ships?

BTW, ideas of the normal size of a squadron of ships have no significance in this matter.
Agreed.

Currently, staffing levels are at best, adequate. Any more LPDs will prompt diversion of manpower from the other services.

nevidimka

The RSAF still haven't receive their F 15 SG? I thought they have already. So the pic of the F15SG floating in the net is fake then?

nevidimka

Why would it be based in US? No place to to put it in Singapore ATM? But since the F 15 is the most modern ATM for RSAF, wouldnt it make sense to shift out other planes or older ones out and making space for the F 15?

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
F-15 training will be at mountain home AFB at Idaho. RSAF won't be fighting anyone so no need F-15s in Singapore.

Current SG AFBs can base twice or more its current inventory aircraft numbers = basing space no issue. If need, they can fly the planes back (17k km) within 24-48 hours.
RSAF conduct quite a bit of their air training outside Singapore due in a large part to airspace restrictions. They flgiht training in Auatralia as well using RSAF aircraft.

A

Aussie Digger

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would it be based in US? No place to to put it in Singapore ATM? But since the F 15 is the most modern ATM for RSAF, wouldnt it make sense to shift out other planes or older ones out and making space for the F 15?
For the same reason Singapore is shipping it's PC-21's to Western Australia, why it's A-4SU training aircraft are based in France and it has F-16's based in the USA.

Singapore has severely restricted training areas, which are not adequate to allow the RSAF to conduct the full range of training it needs to undertake, whereas other places in the world do...

The initial F-15SG's will be used for training purposes. Only when deliveries are "ramping up" and the RSAF support facilities can take them, will the F-15SG actually replace the aircraft within Singapore they are INTENDED to replace.

In a time of crisis, any foreign assets will be deployed to Singapore quite quickly and I'm sure Singapore has excellent plans in place to allow this to happen, if necessary.

SGMilitary

Does the RSAF have no plans to procure more F-15SG?

Anyone has any link to this question?

It is unlikely that the F-35 will be approved for export to non core

participating countries.

What is the RSAF final choice for her advanced jet trainer?

M346 or T50?

Is it confirmed that they are procuring the Israeli SPYDER and French Aster

30 missile system?

Cheers!

swerve

Super Moderator
It is unlikely that the F-35 will be approved for export to non core
participating countries.

What is the RSAF final choice for her advanced jet trainer?
M346 or T50?

Cheers!
The F-35 is already being marketed outside the core participating countries. I expect it will be restricted, but selected non-participating countries (e.g. Spain, Singapore) will certainly be permitted to buy it. Note that Spain is currently building a ship designed to carry the F-35B.

Has Singapore narrowed it down to two? Has the Hawk been eliminated?

bloodsucker

Has Singapore narrowed it down to two? Has the Hawk been eliminated?
It hasnt officially been eliminated yet, but rumours are that it would be. In my opinion, Singapore would choose the T-50, since both the T-50 and F-16 are using the same engines, and Lockheed is also quite closely linked to it.

And even if Singapore doesnt choose the T-50, it is also highly unlikely that they will settle for the Hawk since the M346 looks more capable than it.

Ozzy Blizzard

It hasnt officially been eliminated yet, but rumours are that it would be. In my opinion, Singapore would choose the T-50, since both the T-50 and F-16 are using the same engines, and Lockheed is also quite closely linked to it.

And even if Singapore doesnt choose the T-50, it is also highly unlikely that they will settle for the Hawk since the M346 looks more capable than it.
I thought the T-50 used the F-404 engine out of the F/A-18 and not the F-100/F-110. Those engines are in a different thrust class.

bloodsucker

Sry abt the bit of misinformation previously. Got my facts wrong.

My stand is still that of Singapore not going for the Hawk, cos Msia operates the Hawk, so we most probably wouldnt get the same training equipment as them. Looking at the past RSAF's buys, I'd say that the Hawk is really unlikely. When Msia bought the Mig-29s and F-18s, Singapore didnt buy them cos Msia knows them inside out. Instead, we opted on getting the F-16D/52.