PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

relic88

Taking a cursory look around, the ship building pace is amazing. I'm sure it has been covered but how is/does PLAN addresses manning these boats? I'm not suggesting they have not figured it out, just wondering about their training.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Taking a cursory look around, the ship building pace is amazing. I'm sure it has been covered but how is/does PLAN addresses manning these boats? I'm not suggesting they have not figured it out, just wondering about their training.
Ok, first things first, terminology. A boat is a small craft that is either carried aboard a ship as a life boat or a runabout etc., a pleasure craft, a work boat such as a tugboat. It definitely isn't a warship or sea going merchant ship. Submarines are also called boats. Some of us on here are ex navy so we take these things seriously, but it always helps to get the terminology correct so that there are no misunderstandings.

The PLA is an all volunteer organisation and that's across all of the PLA branches:
  • PLA-RF: PLA Rocket Force.
  • PLA-GF: PLA Ground Force.
  • PLAAF: PLA Air Force.
  • PLAN: PLA Navy NOTE: Th link is to the US Defence Technical Information Center.
  • PLASSF: PLA Strategic Support Force. NOTE: The link is to the USAF Air University.
This is a USN War College book The Recruitment, Education, and Training of PLA Navy Personnel that will answer your question. It's freely downloadable.

Salinger

Strange Civilian Vessel Ordered by China
200m long, 39m wide, 15,000 tons displacement, electric diesel propulsion, speed 16 knots (cruising 12 knots), range 5000 nautical miles, cruising time 40 days. She has a hangar in the forward hull, a well dock in the aft hull, a 25m wide all-round deck, and twin islands. It is also required to be in service within 18 months of contract, and is presumed to be of Merchant Ship Structure.1663461168498.jpg

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Another type 075 has been completed, the third. The pace of construction is amazing. Speculation is eight with be built and a larger type 076 may be developed.

Stampede

Another type 075 has been completed, the third. The pace of construction is amazing. Speculation is eight with be built and a larger type 076 may be developed.

Impressive rate of construction for sure.
Will be interesting what follows the Type 075.
Type 076?????, how many?
What is their design and construction time table.

Three commissioned LHD's in 2022 is quite a force.
What will they be used for???

Cheers S

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Impressive rate of construction for sure.
Will be interesting what follows the Type 075.
Type 076?????, how many?
What is their design and construction time table.

Three commissioned LHD's in 2022 is quite a force.
What will they be used for???

Cheers S
I do wonder if curretn the economic situation will bite and how that may impact the miliatry budget. There are certainly issues there and it is having an impact on the domestic economy with some provinces in a bit of trouble due to a combination of issues. Depending on which pundit you look at some suggest contraction of the economy.

It is difficult to judge noting the paucity of accurate (publically available) information but if there is low (or negative) growth it cvould be suggested that my necessitate a review of spending in all areas.

In saying this some pundits have been predicting an economic collapse but it certainly has not happened yet.

Stampede

I do wonder if curretn the economic situation will bite and how that may impact the miliatry budget. There are certainly issues there and it is having an impact on the domestic economy with some provinces in a bit of trouble due to a combination of issues. Depending on which pundit you look at some suggest contraction of the economy.

It is difficult to judge noting the paucity of accurate (publically available) information but if there is low (or negative) growth it cvould be suggested that my necessitate a review of spending in all areas.

In saying this some pundits have been predicting an economic collapse but it certainly has not happened yet.
Ones economy does come into play!

The balancing act of domestic satisfaction and stability versus defence growth to attain stated global aspirations is a big unknown.

I'm no pundit of any expertise in this area; just an observer concerned with the rate of change with these uncertain dynamics accompanied with hostile words

Re the LHD's ,
I'd suspect additional numbers will be procured.

Type 075 , 076 or something else I cannot say. But like the RAN has found, an LHD is a very flexible and useful ship across many layers, so I'd doubt the PLAN will stop at three.
Somehow I think they will find the money to grow the fleet.

Cheers S

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Building rate is impressive, but the unknowns are the quality of training the ship's company has received and the actual build quality of the ship itself. One thing to be churning out hull after hull with cheap labor, another to be sustaining a large fleet of major fleet units and integrating them into combined ops etc.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ones economy does come into play!

The balancing act of domestic satisfaction and stability versus defence growth to attain stated global aspirations is a big unknown.

I'm no pundit of any expertise in this area; just an observer concerned with the rate of change with these uncertain dynamics accompanied with hostile words

Re the LHD's ,
I'd suspect additional numbers will be procured.

Type 075 , 076 or something else I cannot say. But like the RAN has found, an LHD is a very flexible and useful ship across many layers, so I'd doubt the PLAN will stop at three.
Somehow I think they will find the money to grow the fleet.

Cheers S
And @alexsa

Whilst the economy is always a factor, the CCP thinks and acts differently to many other governments. Hence if it determines that the PLA is a necessity to advance the CCP's agenda and ensure that the CCP remains in power, it will fund it accordingly at the expense of other government budgets except internal security, which has a higher budget than defence. That in itself should tell you where the CCP's priorities lie.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
And @alexsa

Whilst the economy is always a factor, the CCP thinks and acts differently to many other governments. Hence if it determines that the PLA is a necessity to advance the CCP's agenda and ensure that the CCP remains in power, it will fund it accordingly at the expense of other government budgets except internal security, which has a higher budget than defence. That in itself should tell you where the CCP's priorities lie.
Given the discontent Xi’s COVID measures have created along with the loss of economic output, more resources will likely be required for internal security which might reduce funding for military kit. Good outcome for the Asia-Pacific region but not so good for Chinese citizens.

alexsa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
And @alexsa

I don't disagree at all ..... my comment looks at the current fleet/army/airforce building and the ability of China to sustain this rate of growth (or even support the current assets) over the longer term. The demand to support internal security is certainlt a factor in this as you note and their pot of money is not infinate (well I hope not) noting they rely on imports for many critical items and materials.

It reminds me of Hitler and his cohort in the late 30's ...... they were spending big but this was not sustainable in the long run. I am not saying the example is directly applicable but financial pressures make have an impact on the current expansion and what China do.

Anyway .............. just postualting

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I don't disagree at all ..... my comment looks at the current fleet/army/airforce building and the ability of China to sustain this rate of growth (or even support the current assets) over the longer term. The demand to support internal security is certainlt a factor in this as you note and their pot of money is not infinate (well I hope not) noting they rely on imports for many critical items and materials.

It reminds me of Hitler and his cohort in the late 30's ...... they were spending big but this was not sustainable in the long run. I am not saying the example is directly applicable but financial pressures make have an impact on the current expansion and what China do.

Anyway .............. just postualting
The CCP’s massive internal security apparatus makes it extremely difficult to determine what the level of discontent is but between the populace and Xi’s political opponents but it is significant. Likely not significant to counter the CCP internal security operation IMHO.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The PLAN appears to have had a fire in a Hainan Island Naval Base drydock which is next to their CV drydock. It appears a couple of tugs may have been involved.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
00796bBcgy1h1xbwwk0ahj30qo0k0wfc.jpg20230202_230909.png

Last few days, Chinese forums including those on Weibo already circulating models of what be call Type 93B SSN. Some call it SSGN as build with 12 VLS (or 18?) for cruise missiles.

This type 93B also being talk by US as Jane's put it in their article:

Whether this latest type 93 SSN actually already this 93B or it is still in development, this is one thing that not clear yet. Speculation that with 93B PLAN already has SSN that match Los Angeles class SSN. Not yet Virginia class SSN, but still shown they are pouring money fast to catching up.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Some information on a Chinese XLUUV which apparently has 4 torpedo tubes, a feature not yet seen in Western models….yet.

seaspear

Some information on a Chinese XLUUV which apparently has 4 torpedo tubes, a feature not yet seen in Western models….yet.

The united nations has not been able to come to some guidelines on the use of artificial intelligence in machines to engage in warfare ,how this submarine distinguishes from armed combatants and civilians is another question
UN fails to agree on 'killer robot' ban as nations pour billions into autonomous weapons research (theconversation.com)

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Chinese TV shown Liaoning transformation toward full battle ready carrier from previous more training carrier. This means changes on equipment and upgrade weapons suit. Basically China shown they already have 3 fully operational CAG, and growing.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Another CGTN exposure on Type 55 operation, shown their build in capabilities for leaders of flotilla. Interesting the captain used to be Liaoning XO, seems shown in the end what Type 55 aim for. Part of CAG lead ship.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Seems this is all part of CGTN series on PLAN CAG. This video on capabilities of their shipbourne helicopters mostly Z-9 which so far seems the standard for all Frigates and Destroyers helicopters. Mostly shown their capabilities on ASW.