PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Add English version on launching ceremony. By naming her Fujian, in my thinking give message to Taiwan in naming her province directly across Taiwan (where any potential invasion will be originate).

This carrier more or less equivalent with Kitty Hawk class in dimensions. Less see how PLAN operating her will be.

Last edited:

Vivendi

This carrier more or less equivalent with Kitty Hawk class in dimensions. Less see how PLAN operating her will be.
I am not an expert but according to navalnews it's actually close to dimensions of Nimitz and Ford (which I believe are somewhat bigger that Kitty Hawk was). In any case this 003 carrier is just the third step in the development for China, no doubt their next carrier will incorporate learnings from 001, 002 and also 003. China Launches First Aircraft Carrier Which Rivals U.S. Navy’s - Naval News (good article by Sutton by the way.)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It will be interesting to see how the Chinese EMALS works out using GT power. Haven’t heard if elevators also use electromagnetic technology. If performance is ok than there should be less incentive for a CVN, especially if there is a desire for rapid carrier expansion.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

according to navalnews it's actually close to dimensions of Nimitz and Ford (which I believe are somewhat bigger that Kitty Hawk was)
Different set of comparison being make by analysts toward Type 003 compare to USN carriers. If compared toward Nimitz and Ford as existing USN carriers then Type 003 already closing in, however as defense news put, it is more in dimensions comparable toward Kitty Hawk class.

Both class coming at 80k+ tons and 320m length (eventough full load close to 100K). While USN CVN coming at 100k+ tons and full load close to 120k+ tons with 330+m length. China plan type 004 will be presume more in range of USN CVN.

Yes Chinese forums already for years even during type 003 construction already claim type 004 will be nuclear. Considering they plan it to be in range of Ford dimensions, then it's highly probable. However it will be for some time too come.

Read several Chinese online media and forums, the serious ones give prediction of 2030+ time frame. One of the reason is they have to work out CATOBAR operational capabilities with type 003 first, and more importantly they have to build larger naval borne reactor then what they have now in their SSBN.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Minnie Chan from SCMP is not a popular defense reporter for most Chinese Fan Boys. However what she wrote so far also reflect some more serious asessment being made (non fan boys) on Chinese defense online or media sources.

China like to do progressive things that done more cautionessly. Liaoning is practically USSR Varyag STOBAR that China decided to complete with their sub systems, then come Shandong which is basically Chinese build modification from Liaoning.

So base on their practise the 4th carrier will be modifications from what they already learn during Fujian operational. This is means until the end of this decade China will operate 4 carrier of 2 Stobar sisters and 2 Catobar sisters that all 4 is going to be conventional power.

I put in my previous posts that the problem is for China how to develop nuclear reactor for big carriers, as their largest sea borne nuclear reactor are for their SSBN. They can develop SSBN reactor for Carrier just like French done with Charles De Gaulle and future PANG. However even PANG will only come to slightly less then present Fujian dimensions. Not the size of Nimitz or Ford.

So base on that China need to develop more on carrier base reactor design if they do still want CVN. This means much more time needed and can not be done for the 4th carrier that schedulle in second half of this decade.

Besides unlike USN, China so far want to build PLAN capabilities on East Pacific and South China sea, with capabilities to safe guard trading line from middle east. This is clear on their Road and Belt initiative routes. Those sea routes in that initiative that need to be covered. Those 4 conventional carrier group will be enough. USN has global sea trade route ambitions to cover, that's why CVN come to play.

Thus the most probable CVN that come to China will be the 5th and 6th. This is only if they already satisfied enough with their nuclear reactor for carrier design.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article is a recent update on China’s J-35 (FC-31) carrier jet. Looking more like a F-35. Apparently WS-21 engines replace the Russian engines used with earlier prototypes. Interesting speculation about the canopy design. Apparently the design has no bulkhead, similar to the F-35B. The F-35B has no bulkhead in order to accommodate the lift fan. Perhaps a clever leak of information to freak the USN into thinking a STOVL version is coming? A STOVL for the PLAN’s 075 amphibious ship, a real problem.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
STOVL for the PLAN’s 075 amphibious ship, a real problem.
11255793_705129802930747_2104141523462144456_n.jpg

Chinese online forums and media already circulating concept of Single engine SVTOL. The layout in my opinion more base on YAK-141 rather then F-35B. Thus if they are going forward with SVTOL (which is probable considering the size of Type 75 LHD), the base from YAK-141 seems more sense to be use to fasten the development.

76mmGuns

China continues to show it's incredible peacetime warship building pace:

I wonder if they have any specific targets in terms of numbers of ships? 400? 700? 2000? They certainly have the industrial capacity and economy for it

Stampede

China continues to show it's incredible peacetime warship building pace:

I wonder if they have any specific targets in terms of numbers of ships? 400? 700? 2000? They certainly have the industrial capacity and economy for it
Yes the rate of construction is staggering.
Not just the destroyers mentioned, but also every other class of vessel you would find in a blue water navy.

Interesting times

Cheers S

76mmGuns

The West and Japan helped create this industrial powerhouse, for cheaper production costs and profit. We are now paying the price for three decades of inexpensive stuff.
Here's the deal West. We'll give you cheap inexpensive stuff from 1999 to 2040. After that, we're going to park carrier fleets around the world while maintaining a 400 ship home fleet.

Deal?

Deal.

(you can imagine the short sighted Western leaders actually saying this...thinking they'll convert the CCP to good Western democractic people...because it worked out so well in the past, right?)

relic88

Here's the deal West. We'll give you cheap inexpensive stuff from 1999 to 2040. After that, we're going to park carrier fleets around the world while maintaining a 400 ship home fleet.

Deal?

Deal.

(you can imagine the short sighted Western leaders actually saying this...thinking they'll convert the CCP to good Western democractic people...because it worked out so well in the past, right?)
It is all about the money, CCP included - their motivation is the same as the West at the end of the day. As for the amazing growth of the PLAN, the numbers are scary but IMO the ship count is only relevant of they are properly purposed.. My belief is the PLAN is gearing up to dominate their real and claimed waters/territories. The initial conditions, established over the last half century, prevent them form attempting anything more than that. And again, money is the motivation and all out war probably isn't the right play.

I realize just now I've beyond the scope of the thread. Apologies.

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It is all about the money, CCP included - their motivation is the same as the West at the end of the day. As for the amazing growth of the PLAN, the numbers are scary but IMO the ship count is only relevant of they are properly purposed.. My belief is the PLAN is gearing up to dominate their real and claimed waters/territories. The initial conditions, established over the last half century, prevent them form attempting anything more than that. And again, money is the motivation and all out war probably isn't the right play.

Natural resources in Africa and eventually Antarctica will require the presence of the PLAN to pacify any parties objecting to Chinese extraction policies wrt natural resources.

STURM

My belief is the PLAN is gearing up to dominate their real and claimed waters/territories.
They desire the ability to prevent others from blocking various checkpoints in which Chinese imports pass through and to project power wherever they need to.

Stampede

Defence equipment purchased,their quantities and type, do get intertwined with political intent.
We are all trying to read the tea leaves as to what happens in the years ahead.

Cheers S

relic88

Defence equipment purchased,their quantities and type, do get intertwined with political intent.

Cheers S
Indeed the leaves are diverse and very immature at this point.