PRC Peoples Liberation Army Navy

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Part of the series this video shown how PLAN prepared their J-15 carrier based fighter pilots. Shown their capabilities on building carrier fighter pilot lines.

Add:
The complete video:

Seems they are releasing in you tube on partial ones, before the whole video.

In anyway this is PLAN saying to USN, we already have Blue Water Navy, what will you do about it?

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This is video on the 8th Type 55, another way of PLAN shown how fast they are developing their Blue Water capabilities.

Video on Shandong their 2nd carrier.

Another video on their carrier based pilots.

This is video on their Naval Academy.

This is all part of series showing PLAN CAG and Blue Waters capabilities. With all tensions with US, I do see this is PLAN talking tough to USN. Telling USN you better accept fact, we also Blue Water Navy.

Last edited:

Stampede

This is video on the 8th Type 55, another way of PLAN shown how fast they are developing their Blue Water capabilities.

Video on Shandong their 2nd carrier.

Another video on their carrier based pilots.

This is video on their Naval Academy.

This is all part of series showing PLAN CAG and Blue Waters capabilities. With all tensions with US, I do see this is PLAN talking tough to USN. Telling USN you better accept fact, we also Blue Water Navy.
Watch this space in the years ahead

Cheers S

Bob53

Within a year or 2 it looks like they will be able to blockade Taiwan with a volume of ships far in excess of the US and allies can muster on theatre. The PLA Navy can focus its ships whilst the USN is distributed globally. The ace up the sleeve the US has is its sub force. The great unknown is how good chinas targeting of the carriers would be. No matter what there would be devastating losses on both sides should they come into conflict. Hope it doesn’t happen.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
PLAN already surpassed Red Navy (even in cold war) heights of power in term of surface fleet. However not in underwater fleet. Especially in SSN and SSBN. I believe this is something that PLAN understand and knows, which we see on their video above (especially in helicopters section) on their focus with ASW.

With Russian and Chinese are being push closer, they can in theory compensate some of their underwater weaknesses with Russian ones. I do think US and their allies see that potential too.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Within a year or 2 it looks like they will be able to blockade Taiwan with a volume of ships far in excess of the US and allies can muster on theatre. The PLA Navy can focus its ships whilst the USN is distributed globally. The ace up the sleeve the US has is its sub force. The great unknown is how good chinas targeting of the carriers would be. No matter what there would be devastating losses on both sides should they come into conflict. Hope it doesn’t happen.
Possibly. Lei is a commentator based in the US and this is her take on the PLAN and its capabilities. She raised some valid points that the PLA hasn't fought a war since its war against Vietnam in 1978. It's never fought a war at sea, and it's CVs have a daily launch cyclic rate that is about 16.6% of the USN rate, and that's on a good day.

Sub Brief also says the same thing.

CV18 Fujian maybe starting her sea trials tomorrow (23/4/2023). If this claim is true then we might see imagery in the near future.

koxinga

She raised some valid points that the PLA hasn't fought a war since its war against Vietnam in 1978. It's never fought a war at sea, and it's CVs have a daily launch cyclic rate that is about 16.6% of the USN rate, and that's on a good day.
To be strictly accurate, neither has the USN fought a pure naval engagement (fleet against fleet) since 1945. There are a lot of unknowns; the Chinese clearly take their inspiration from the US, copying force structures, CONOPS, even training programs. But what is also true is the USN has spent decades perfecting their craft and complex operations.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
To be strictly accurate, neither has the USN fought a pure naval engagement (fleet against fleet) since 1945. There are a lot of unknowns; the Chinese clearly take their inspiration from the US, copying force structures, CONOPS, even training programs. But what is also true is the USN has spent decades perfecting their craft and complex operations.
...and they likely have all the pdf flies on these programs albeit actual experience is essential.

Redshift

Part of the series this video shown how PLAN prepared their J-15 carrier based fighter pilots. Shown their capabilities on building carrier fighter pilot lines.

Add:
The complete video:

Seems they are releasing in you tube on partial ones, before the whole video.

In anyway this is PLAN saying to USN, we already have Blue Water Navy, what will you do about it?
They won't have a blue water carrier based navy until they do something to seriously enhance the take off weight and consequently, the payload of the J 15.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
They won't have a blue water carrier based navy until they do something to seriously enhance the take off weight and consequently, the payload of the J 15.
More likely the PLAN will want to get the J -31 development finished and in production for their new CATOBAR carrier than committing money into the J-15.

FormerDirtDart

Initially i was surprised and thought Navalnews means that china has bought new ones from Russia, but it seems now the number one copymachine of the world has managed to reverse engineer the Project 12322.
They got the technical package and build license from Ukraine during their initial procurement

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A short article about the Y-20 transport fitted out for aerial refuelling. This would be important for the PLAN but land based PLAAF J-20s would be capable of better supporting PLAN activities.

I would what range and capacity advantages this jet would have over the KC-46? I guess China really doesn’t have any other suitable domestic jet for AAR. A C-17 tanker for extra range might not have been the best value for money but it would have kept the C-17 line open and I bet there are now a few more countries wanting to increase their fleet sizes. Probably one southern hemisphere country might now consider a couple.

swerve

Super Moderator
Y-20's almost the size of the A330, so a reasonable size for a tanker, & the WS-20 should improve it's performance. It's reported to be in service now. I imagine the PLA will want quite a few WS-20 powered Y-20s, for various roles.

The Comac C919 has about the same MTO as the PLAAF's old Tu-16/H-6 airliners, so could be acceptable as a second tier tanker. Limited, but better than nothing, if Y-20 production isn't able to keep up with demand.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Nothing official yet, but Sutton usually not posting anything that has no ground. Will see the development.

Seems even Taiwanese think the rumours on PLAN SSN accident don't get substantiate confirmation. I believe even Sutton already take down his tweet on this matter. Seems more and more it is false alarm.

Still no official confirmation on the matter from the Chinese.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Nothing official yet, but Sutton usually not posting anything that has no ground. Will see the development.

Seems even Taiwanese think the rumours on PLAN SSN accident don't get substantiate confirmation. I believe even Sutton already take down his tweet on this matter. Seems more and more it is false alarm.

Still no official confirmation on the matter from the Chinese.
The rumours were picked up on YouTube, but I am rather sceptical of it at the moment. However if there has been a PLAN SSN accident the CCP will be keeping real quiet about it for political reasons.

koxinga

The rumours were picked up on YouTube, but I am rather sceptical of it at the moment. However if there has been a PLAN SSN accident the CCP will be keeping real quiet about it for political reasons.
Sutton removed the tweet; he should have known better and be more careful when it comes to this. It has damaged his credibility.

Commercial shipping data did not show any unusual movement, traffic or attempt to form some kind of exclusion/recovery zone.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Sutton removed the tweet; he should have known better and be more careful when it comes to this. It has damaged his credibility.

Commercial shipping data did not show any unusual movement, traffic or attempt to form some kind of exclusion/recovery zone.
I don't think it has damaged his credibility. The fact that he has removed speaks to his professionalism.