Philippine Navy Discussion and Updates

Sandhi Yudha

With such a limited budget and with problems in keeping the Gregorio del Pillar class frigates serviceable, ive have my doubt that starting an acquisition program of submarines will be a good idea.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

According to Jane's, Philippines now already throw the figure for Submarine acquisition plan. USD 1.47 bio is quite big for two subs, eventough the budget including cost to build supporting infrastructure and I presume logistics cost to train crew also and weapons package. However with that budget, they can aim for USD 400+ mio sub each. They can aim for either Scorpene or that improve DSME 1400.

I presume they will use around USD 500+ mio on building supporting infrastructure plus logistics backing. Just in my opinion, for that amount they seems enough capacity building to operate the plan two Submarines.

So far they have been able to deliver on LIFT, and Multipurpose Helicopters (S-70i), Frigates, and strong indication the T-129 attack helicopters will be acquired too.

Perhaps in later years of his administration, Duterte shown more seriousness on building Philippines armed forces.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

According to Jane's, Philippines now already throw the figure for Submarine acquisition plan. USD 1.47 bio is quite big for two subs, eventough the budget including cost to build supporting infrastructure and I presume logistics cost to train crew also and weapons package. However with that budget, they can aim for USD 400+ mio sub each. They can aim for either Scorpene or that improve DSME 1400.

I presume they will use around USD 500+ mio on building supporting infrastructure plus logistics backing. Just in my opinion, for that amount they seems enough capacity building to operate the plan two Submarines.

So far they have been able to deliver on LIFT, and Multipurpose Helicopters (S-70i), Frigates, and strong indication the T-129 attack helicopters will be acquired too.

Perhaps in later years of his administration, Duterte shown more seriousness on building Philippines armed forces.
The first batch and second (and cancelled) batch of three Improved Chang Bogo Type 209/1400 class submarines ordered for the Indonesian Navy were around $ 1,1 - 1,2 billion from which i remember. So with $1,47 billion the Philippines can get 4 Type 209/1400 submarines or 2 DSME 2000 ton design boats with a lot of workshare and ToT, and new facilities.

But lets wait and see how this program develops.

Sandhi Yudha

OCEA from France has pledged the equivalent of US$30 million for the construction of a shipyard, but the yard’s possible location have not yet been disclosed.

Being active in the world of defence, it is quite likely that OCEA plan to build vessels for the Philippine navy and coast guard, like the 84 meter long offshore patrol vessel BRP Gabriela Silang (pictured).

Sandhi Yudha

Rafael Advanced Defense Systems announced on 1 September that it has secured a contract worth about USD80 million to supply a “comprehensive naval warfare systems suite” for Shaldag Mk V fast patrol boats being built by Israel Shipyards for a "Southeast Asian country".

It is very likely that the warfare systems suite will equip the eight Shaldag Mk Vs ordered earlier this year by the Philippine Navy (PN), which on 14 May revealed it was expecting to receive the first three of these boats from Israel Shipyards in the first quarter of 2022.

The Gabriela Silang is a 84 meter long OCEA OPV 270 type of vessel, brandnew delivered in December 2019.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

With the arrival of the Mistral 3, the Philippine Navy get its first 'real air defence system'.

It is unclear yet if it is delivered with a complete launch system, like the Simbad or Tetral, or just some Manpads-launchers

STURM

Hopefully it's Simba or Tetral; a stabilsed mount integrated to the CMS.

Additional frigates, as well as UASs, is something the PN should focus on, rather than subs or Brahmos.

Sandhi Yudha

ROKS Andong will be the second ship of the Pohang class corvettes that the Philippines Navy possesses after the first acquisition of the ROKS Chungju, which was renamed as BRP Conrado Yap.

With good maintenance, this ship will be also able to protect the waters of the Philippines for many years.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Couple days news. Philippines Navy finally retired the last 40's era Corvettes. This class modified as Corvettes in Philippines Navy service, eventough under USN they are classified as mine sweepers.

PACIFIC-2019-Austal-Unveils-Philippine-Navy-OPV-Design-4-1024x768.jpg

The Austal OPV (being planned to be build by their local yards in Philippines) predicted as replacement for this class. Although with the contract not being assigned yet, those 40's era Corvettes now being retired without replacement ready yet.

This's part of Duterte recent defense Project being prepared on the last length of his term.

STURM

With good maintenance, this ship will be also able to protect the waters of the Philippines for many years.
With good maintenance, adequate spares, adequate operational funds, adequate numbers of trained support personnel and periodic upgrades/refits.

It's assets like these, together with surface patrol assets, MPAs, UAS and coastal radars which should receive funding priority in order to safeguard the maritime domain. Stuff like SSKs and long range land based ASMs should come later.

koxinga

They can also upgrade their recently received Pohang class corvette BRP Conrado Yap PS-39 and her sistership which will be delivered soon.
This is fund release is not for the upgrade of the used Korean corvettes.

Instead, it is to fund the acquisition of new "corvettes", and confusingly, their "corvettes" are projected to be larger and more capable than their Jose Rizal frigates.

koxinga

Notice of Award given to HHI for the corvette program on 15 December. Philippines procurement processes required a Notice to Proceed (NTP) as the final step to activate the contract.

The expected design is the HDC-3100, which is larger than the Jose Rizal (HDF-2600).

As for why a corvette is bigger than a frigate in their nomenclature....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
for why a corvette is bigger than a frigate in their nomenclature....
Perhaps they just follow the trend. Not long ago anything above 100m up to 115 still call Light Frigates. Those between 70m-100m call Corvettes. Now seem (based on Euro Navy and Manufacturer latest trend), Corvettes have a range between 90m-115m. Thus they just drop term of Light Frigates to Corvettes.

This is just my personal assesment looking what can be call Frigates now days from Belhara/FTI, Mogami, FREMM, Arrow 140, Gorskhov, Type 054a toward Type 26 etc. Frigates seems need to have combination of endurances and weapon suits that capable for them working independently outside EEZ.

Corvettes or OPV more on patrol jobs within your EEZ. You can say difference between Blue Water job and Green Water ones. Off course does not mean a Navy with that kind of Frigates automatically classified as Blue Water capabilities. It's more that they have assets that capable to work outside their EEZ (thus near coastal protection).

koxinga

Contract signed. The proposed kit

Displacement of 3,200 ton, length of 116m and breadth of 14.8m. Maximum speed is 25 knots and cruising speed is 15 knot with range of 4,500nm. The Corvette have sixteen cell of vertical launching system, eight anti-ship missile launchers, 35mm close-in weapon system, a 76mm main gun, Two three-tube torpedo launchers and Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar

Arji

Was there any shenanigans in this corvette deal similar to the frigate ones? Considering it's also HHI that becomes the winner.

Arji

Well it makes sense to rely on the same yard and to develop a long term mutually beneficial relationship with it.
I guess, but during the frigate tender, I heard some talks on some forum that there's bribery involved. Well, whatever works, I hope they don't downgrade anything for this one.

oldsig127

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I guess, but during the frigate tender, I heard some talks on some forum that there's bribery involved. Well, whatever works, I hope they don't downgrade anything for this one.
Hmm. My impression is that there's ALWAYS "some" talk on "some" forum about bribery in Philippines defence purchasing. I'm not sure that such unsupported hearsay - possibly disinformation- deserves a place in discussion here.

oldsig127

Redlands18

Hmm. My impression is that there's ALWAYS "some" talk on "some" forum about bribery in Philippines defence purchasing. I'm not sure that such unsupported hearsay - possibly disinformation- deserves a place in discussion here.

oldsig127
Every Defence Force in the World will have someone on some site claiming bribery and corruption because there favourite Military system did not get picked but people need to back that up with reasonable proof on DefenceTalk.