Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions

P.A.F

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Pakistan Airforce News and Discussions

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/003200505220328.htm

Pak. upgrades Australian Mirages

Islamabad, May 22 (UNI): Pakistan aeronautical experts have successfully upgraded avoinics and other sub-systems of Australian Mirage aircraft that Pakistan Air Force (PAF) had purchased in the late 1990s.

"Our experts at the PAC (Pakistan Aeronautical Complex) have successfully upgraded avionics, fire control, BVR (beyond visual range) and jamming system of more than 40 Australian Mirages the PAF has been flying since late 1990s," an official source said here on Saturday.

He said the PAC has also rebuilt a number of Mirages out of over 30 such jets, the PAF had purchased from Libya last year.

The credit of giving a new lease of life to the discarded jets goes to our experts, he added.

Pakistan is the second country after France, which rebuilds Mirage aircraft at one of the specially-built facilities in the PAC. The complex has been rebuilding Mirages of not only the PAF, but also the same jets being flown by other friendly countries.

The PAF had procured 40 used Mirages after up-gradation of their avionics system by SAGEM of France under a $ 120 million deal in the late 1990s.

looks like these jets are back in business:coffee

jtcohen

I think they would be better off going for the Rafiel, at least then they would have a carrier aircraft for the fleet, kill two birds with one stone. The French being desperate to sell the jet, now that Singapore is getting the F-15 (I don't agree with that decision) might have to give the IAF a really good deal, because as I see it no one is busting down the doors to get the Rafiel. I've seen them several times over Toulon and they seem to be ok, but expensive.

Certainly a better choice then the 2000-5 which is getting a bit dated, granted they are already in the IAF inventory, course minus the one the Pak forces shot down with the Crotiale, almost reminds me of fratricide, a Fr made missile knocking down a Fr made jet. I am sure Serge Dassult loved that one.

rafale_2k5

IAF still not made the decision yet , however wat i fel theres a strong lobby that wants M2k , but the govt wants to probably explore other options , may be the US route we may never know since recently air india cancelled the airbus in the favour of boeing , another reason could be they're playing with dassault to get the best possible deal , in all probability , prority wise its gonna be M2k, F-16s , Mig-29SMT and than Gripen

Im intentionally discountinf F-18s since they already have an aircraft inthat league in shape of MKI, plus the cost issues would be exorbitant , because i seriously believe if IAF were to go 4 F-18 for the same price they could either have Rafale or Eurofighters!!!!!, plus they wont be inducting so many 4th gen aircrafts, if they ever were to spend that kind of money my bet is its gonna be 4 either the PAK-FA or MCA....

P.A.F

Hey guys PAF is taking delivery of 6 C-130J transport aircraft next month along with some air to air missiles. any way as PAF has quite a lot of these wouldn't it be a good idea to make 1 or 2 into AWAC. have a look at this site.
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/ec-130v.htm

i just don't like the idea of puting the AWACs system on a saab 2000. it just doesn't sound safe enough. C-130 is a very relyable aircraft. i'll like to hear your views on this???
Cheers!!!

jtcohen

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greek Air Force Gives the Wink to Ericsson's Erieye System[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flight International (UK) 05/01/1999 Volume:154 Issue:4657 Pages:12[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Ericsson expects to receive a $500 mil contract from the Greek Govt in mid-1999 to supply 4 Erieye radars for Embraer EMB-145 AEW aircraft in service with the Greek Air Force. Losing bids for the AEW requirement included the Northrop Grumman Hawkeye 2000 and Lockheed Martin C-130J. The EMB-145/ Erieye combination is under production for the Brazilian Amazon Surveillance System (SIVAM) program. S. Korea and Pakistan have expressed interest in the Erieye radar, which currently serves aboard Swedish Saab 2000s. The Swedish Govt has blocked a deal with Pakistan due to the latter's nuclear test program.

[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air Forces Set Sights on Early Warning Ability[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Defense News (US) 06/04/1997 Volume:12 Issue:13 Pages:9,18[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] SE Asian air forces may procure AEW&C aircraft, of which Singapore is currently the only operator, with 4 Northrop Grumman E-2Cs. Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia are most likely to invest soon. Australia is preparing an RFP for a 4-aircraft contract by early-2000 and Israel Aircraft Industries is developing a version of its Phalcon for China. Thailand's preliminary studies cover Ericsson Microwave Systems' Erieye, IAI's Phalcon, Antonov's An-71 AEW, the E-2C, the E-3 and Lockheed Martin's C-130J AEW derivative. Planned fighter acquisitions include some 36/120 aircraft for the Philippines/ S. Korea, up to 14 Su-27s for Vietnam and up to 18 MiG-29s for Myanmar. McDonnell Douglas has supplied 8/8 F/A-18s to Malaysia/ Thailand. Singapore plans an additional 18 Lockheed Martin F-16s and the US Govt may release 9 of Pakistan's embargoed F-16s for Indonesia. Recent/ prospective BAe Hawk buyers include Indonesia, Malaysia and Brunei.[/font]

P.A.F

thanx for sharing;) . keep the news coming.

jtcohen

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pakistan to Buy 24 F-16s in First Phase, US Notifies Sale [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 17/04/2005 [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]source: Dipikaglobal

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The News, a Pakistani newspaper said today that the Bush Admin has notified the Congress of its plan to sell F-16 fighter planes to Pakistan. The newspaper quoted government sources as saying that Pakistan has been informed about the visit of the technical mission comprising US authorities and the representatives of the Aircraft manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, early next month to work out details of the deal. Pakistan will get new Block 52 F-16s; it currently has Block 15 F-16s. The US administration has also intimated Islamabad about its agreement to give the current PAF Block 15 F-16s the mid-life update (MLU) and the process would be initiated early next year. The Javitts Report pertaining to the US intention to sell the Aircraft to Pakistan has paved the way for a specific formal notification of the Congress that would come about immediately after the technical mission’s report.

[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pakistan Likely to Clinch Deal for Purchase of Erieye Airborne Early Warning System[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 20/07/2004 [/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]source: India NDTV international

[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To counterbalance India's acquisition of Israeli Phalcons, Pakistan is likely to clinch a deal with Sweden for the purchase of Erieye AEW systems and SAAB-2000 Aircraft. Air Marshal Kaleem Saadat would pick the threads from Pres Musharraf's visit to Stockholm two weeks ago, during which he had reportedly struck a deal for the purchase of 14 SAAB-2000 Aircraft fitted with state-of-the-art Erieye Airborne Early Warning and Control System (AWE&CS), a report said here today. During his visit on July 29, Saadat may ink the pact for the purchase at least six 50-seater SAAB 2000 planes, four for Pakistan Air Force and two for Pakistan Navy, a media report said quoting officials. Swedish authorities had in principle agreed to supply the Aircraft and radar system to Pakistan during General Musharraf's visit to Sweden, local daily Pakistan Observer reported. The acquisition would cost Pakistan 17 billion US dollars.
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Saudi Arabia, Pakistan Eye Joint AEW Buy[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Defense News (US) 01/11/2004 Volume:19 Issue:42 Pages:1[/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font] [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pakistan and Saudi Arabia are expected to jointly purchase 14 AEW&C aircraft based upon the Saab 2000 regional airliner at a cost of up to $1.7 bil, the preponderance of which would be advanced by the sheikhdom in return for instruction of Saudi crews by Pakistani Air Force personnel. The prospective transaction details 7 platforms for Islamabad and 7 for Riyadh. The aircraft would be equipped with the Ericsson Microwave Systems Erieye radar. Pakistan's interest reportedly reflects concern at rival India's 3/04 procurement of 3 Russian-built Il-76 aircraft AEW&C aircraft fitted with the IAI Elta Phalcon (PHased-Array L-band CONformal) radar under a $1.1 bil procurement. [/font] ;)

adsH

jtcohen said:
for Pakistan Navy, a media report said quoting officials. Swedish authorities had in principle agreed to supply the Aircraft and radar system to Pakistan during General Musharraf's visit to Sweden, local daily Pakistan Observer reported. The acquisition would cost Pakistan 17 billion US dollars.
this should be 1.7 billion a decimal makes-allot of difference. :)

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer

The intakes of the JF-17 have been modified. They are now DSI (Divertless Supersonic Intake). Here are some links to pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/SaeedKhan/JF-17NewIntakes01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/SaeedKhan/PAFJF-17DSI04.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/SaeedKhan/PAFJF-17DSI03.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/SaeedKhan/PAFJF-17DSI02.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/SaeedKhan/PAFJF-17DSI01.jpg

Any ideas how DSI helps an aeroplane? I can think of just the reduced Radar Cross Section (RCS) of the plane. Any other benefits?

adsH

apparently it allows reduced Air intake during high Mach speeds, since higher air intake would stall the Ac. usually you need compressors but if you use this method (not very easy to use) you can reduce the Air intake and remove the expensive and heavier compressors. the Block 30 F-16 has this. Not too sure.

The JF-17 will always have certain RCS signature regardless of its shape. Its a 3rd gen fighter so no one is pressing for increased Stealth capabilities.

P.A.F

i have to say though. it looks way better.:)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

For crying out loud, it's just a modified external shock ramp. :rolleyes:

Think of a bellmouth on a velocity injector and the impact it has on its Reynolds number.

At a guess I'd be guessing that they've added it in the hope that it will effect engine efficiency at lower altitudes.

Anotherwords, this puppy is more likely to be a low level mudmover than a higher altitude interceptor in the classical sense.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

gf0012-aust said:
For crying out loud, it's just a modified external shock ramp. :rolleyes:

Think of a bellmouth on a velocity injector and the impact it has on its Reynolds number.

At a guess I'd be guessing that they've added it in the hope that it will effect engine efficiency at lower altitudes.

Anotherwords, this puppy is more likely to be a low level mudmover than a higher altitude interceptor in the classical sense.
Thats what the pilot's impression are at PAF. I asked one, he said that the current JF-17's engine (ACs Which are under production) may only be effected in terms of efficiency while flying at low altitude.

About the RCS he said the new production includes usage of composite materials after that these wind inlets may decrease the RCS. But its not like it would be a stealth AC. Basic idea is to make it hard to see for ACs like Sukhois & specialy MiGs (MiG-29) for certain periods of time at certain ranges.
He also said that there are other changes being planned which may be seen when the new AC go into production.

Mean while he told me that a single unit of Twin Seater JF-17 is now under final production phase. Its artistic impressions are being shown around at PAF to many officials. Twin seaters are now planned not only for training but also for RECON & MartiTime strike missions.

When I asked him about JF-17 being capable of landing & taking off the AC Career Deck he said we dont have it & Chinese may tune it to it if they want to or they have choice of AC Career MiG-29s. All depends on them. If we ever plan to aquire it than yes may be we'll tune to it.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

SABRE said:
Thats what the pilot's impression are at PAF. I asked one, he said that the current JF-17's engine (ACs Which are under production) may only be effected in terms of efficiency while flying at low altitude.
Thank goodness I got that one right. ;)

SABRE said:
About the RCS he said the new production includes usage of composite materials after that these wind inlets may decrease the RCS. But its not like it would be a stealth AC. Basic idea is to make it hard to see for ACs like Sukhois & specialy MiGs (MiG-29) for certain periods of time at certain ranges.

He also said that there are other changes being planned which may be seen when the new AC go into production.
I'm not so sure that they will make significant RCS gains on that basic design - although it is relatively slippery for it's config.

SABRE said:
Mean while he told me that a single unit of Twin Seater JF-17 is now under final production phase. Its artistic impressions are being shown around at PAF to many officials. Twin seaters are now planned not only for training but also for RECON & MartiTime strike missions.
More importantly is the capacity for a dualie being configured as an ECM/Wild Weasel platform

SABRE said:
When I asked him about JF-17 being capable of landing & taking off the AC Career Deck he said we dont have it & Chinese may tune it to it if they want to or they have choice of AC Career MiG-29s. All depends on them. If we ever plan to aquire it than yes may be we'll tune to it.
Again, I can't see it happening. You can't convert a CTOL landbased aircraft to carrier based easily. There are significant stress loadings and the airframe would have to be rebuilt. China is more likely to go with their Lavi look-a-like. They have been doing test landings on their static carrrier training field with the more recent platform - and it is tailhooked from some of the test aircraft I've seen photographed.

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro

Just simple lame answers to simple lame questions GF. The questions I asked should have been asked to Areonotics officer than a pilot. He said he'll & return me the info.

P.A.F

Re: The new FC-1 number 04

thanx for sharing. by the way you english is good;)