Pakistan Air Force [PAF] News and Discussions

tphuang

Super Moderator
France seems to have approved the Radar & Missile deal to Pakistan.

France OKs Sale to Pakistan

French authorities have given approval for industry to offer a Thales RC 400 airborne fire control radar and MBDA Mica air-to-air missiles to Pakistan, to be fitted on the JF-17 jet fighter built under license from China, a Pakistani official said.

“They are cleared for export negotiation,” the official said.

The sale has raised concerns of a potential breach of the EU military embargo on China.

Pakistan and France have drawn up a memorandum of understanding in which Islamabad promises not to release technology to China, the Pakistani official said. French industry submitted prices about a year and a half ago for the gear and these were no longer valid. With export clearance, commercial negotiations can take place.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=3113763&C=thisweek
These news really astound me. It seems like they actually believe China needs stuff like RC-400 and Mica to advance itself. If that were the case, China should just junk PL-12 and J-10.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
These news really astound me. It seems like they actually believe China needs stuff like RC-400 and Mica to advance itself. If that were the case, China should just junk PL-12 and J-10.
Well they don't really astound me but come to pay attention its always just a media hype. When it comes to officials things go through & they refuse to comment (perhaps to narrow minded news reporters).

IceCold

What amazes me is that why in the world is PAF going for western radar when they have a chinese one with similar standards. This means that maybe the chinese KLJ is not as capable as RC-400 is. I remember PAF wanted the same kind of modification with J-10 i.e with western avonics, which would require heavy modifications on PAF's part. Something i cant understand. I personaly believe unless we can get an AESA radar, we should stick with the chinese one and with joint expertise get it updated.

tphuang

Super Moderator
What amazes me is that why in the world is PAF going for western radar when they have a chinese one with similar standards. This means that maybe the chinese KLJ is not as capable as RC-400 is. I remember PAF wanted the same kind of modification with J-10 i.e with western avonics, which would require heavy modifications on PAF's part. Something i cant understand. I personaly believe unless we can get an AESA radar, we should stick with the chinese one and with joint expertise get it updated.
I think the J-10 situation is just about PAF making noises to try to get some great Western avionics, they have inherent bias imo against Chinese products. I have posted on this in the past. J-10 in Chinese service are designed for different missions than what PAF has envisioned, so China will need to develop a different set of avionics for PAF. As for RC-400, I think this is for the second batch of JF-17s. I'm interested to see what China will offer in response.

Viper7

Well if I'm not wrong, then the RC-400 is inferior to what the indians are going to incorporate (western radar - I think it is RDY-3) in their tejas aircraft. If that is true, then the PAF would be looking for something which is better not only than the RC-400, but also the RDY-3, from the Chinese. Question is, whether there is a radar in the catagory of the FC-1/JF-17 fighter type, which would be able to fit (in size) on this aircraft and give a performance which is superior to RDY-3?

aaaditya

Well if I'm not wrong, then the RC-400 is inferior to what the indians are going to incorporate (western radar - I think it is RDY-3) in their tejas aircraft. If that is true, then the PAF would be looking for something which is better not only than the RC-400, but also the RDY-3, from the Chinese. Question is, whether there is a radar in the catagory of the FC-1/JF-17 fighter type, which would be able to fit (in size) on this aircraft and give a performance which is superior to RDY-3?

indians have selected the israeli elta el/m-2032 radar for the initial versions of the lca,an indigenous aesa is currently under development.the rc-400 was rejected for the lca ,even though it was offered.the other radar that was rejected for the lca was the russian kopyo-x.

Titanium

http://www.kommersant.com/p827285/military_industrial_sales/

This report talk about permitting export of RD-33 to Algeria, mentioning Algeria is not happy with MIG-29.

Observers say that the country's interest in the FC-1 may be due to its disappointment with the MiGs, although the FC-1 is much less militarily effective.
The countries listed for export of RD-33 are:

Besides Pakistan and Algeria, the countries that will receive the planes are Egypt, Nigeria, Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia.
If these countries really are customers for JF-17, then there should be something in it:unknown

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
http://www.kommersant.com/p827285/military_industrial_sales/

This report talk about permitting export of RD-33 to Algeria, mentioning Algeria is not happy with MIG-29.

The countries listed for export of RD-33 are:

If these countries really are customers for JF-17, then there should be something in it:unknown
Its RD-93 engine JF-17/FC-1 is using & its for early batches. The later versions are suppose to be equipped with Chinese WS-13 Engines.

thefox

nice plane but needs a lot to improve to meet good standard fighter capabilities.anyway a nice plane for pak but plaaf needs much more.

mysterious

The JF-17 fulfills almost ALL the criteria for a mid-tech fighter jet to form the backbone of most Airforces with budget constraints. Keeping that mind, your comment [which shows utter lack of research on the topic] is found wanting 'thefox'.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
What is the Future Shape of the JF17 how it is equiped with weapons engines over all
Rather than just asking a question like this it might perhaps be worthwhile to do a little research. Doing so can often answers ones question, and may well lead to better questions.

Just doing a quick google search, I returned a number of results available here. One might want to take a look since there will likely be at least some of the answers desired.

-Cheers

super7fc1

your's dream come true

super7fc1;

1. Stop writing in CAPS its considered as "shouting" or "Yelling"

2. You are doing self advertisement for which you have to ask permission from the admin.

3. You are shaing copyright material, again you need permission from admin

Last edited by a moderator:

layer3

While doing some research on different variants of J-10, I came across some pictures of J-10c which looked a lot different than the earlier versions. The obvious difference seemed to be twin engines while variant was named as Super10. I know PAF will like to have two Squadrons of J-10 but it would be interesting to see which version they are looking to induct considering that they have reduced the number of F-16s to be purchased from US.
Although Chinease planes are cheaper but inducting a new aircraft will require new support resources, the move I guess would put a consider amount of stress on PAC, as it will be required to do a lot of catching up in terms of allocating support resources for JF-17 n J-10s.

mysterious

To clarify 'layer3', PAF is going for the J-10C as it fulfils many of PAF's requirements. Not particularly sure if a firm decision has been taken but IMHO, with a Western avionics suite as well as the ability to integrate Western weapons systems it should take care of many of PAF's present day worries with regards to operational effectiveness.

layer3

I am bit confused with the J-10c or Super10 as pictures uploaded on wikipedia(which I know could be misleading) show it as twin engine or twin tail version of standard J-10.(correct me if I am wrong) If that is the case, I wonder how many are there already in service with PLAAF.
Not sure if PAF will press for ToT as I havn't seen any reports plus PAF seems to be going through honeymoon period with JF-17 at the moment. Again I am bit concerned with PACs capability to cope with burden for the support of new aircrafts as they had quite relaxed 15 to 20 years with no significant inductions.
It will take a significant amount of time and money for expansion of PAC before actual manufacturing or overhauling could be undertaken.

icekid

hey guys I really believe that Pakistan should consider buying Rafales, PAF doesn't even have a single Double engine fighter.

Hey I heard PAK is considering to buy Su-27 variant of China is it true?

DefConGuru

hey guys I really believe that Pakistan should consider buying Rafales, PAF doesn't even have a single Double engine fighter.

Hey I heard PAK is considering to buy Su-27 variant of China is it true?
They will soon (double engine/semi stealth) with the FC-20...or is the FC - 20 the base model J-10 ? Anyone know if Pakistan is getting the J - 10 or an upgraded variant with twin engines and capability for supercruise as is being touted for the sino Super 10?

I agree that Pakistan should invest in Rafale's until it can concentrate on what it will be doing to counter for post 2015 when most major Air Forces will be fully stealth capable, including probably India. If indeed Pakistan acquires a semi stealth Super 10, then that's another thing, which I heard they might procure of up to 72 ish. But if infact it's just a base model J - 10 with some base model chinese radar and suites, then go for the Rafales.

DefConGuru

They will soon (double engine/semi stealth) with the FC-20...or is the FC - 20 the base model J-10 ? Anyone know if Pakistan is getting the J - 10 or an upgraded variant with twin engines and capability for supercruise as is being touted for the sino Super 10?

I agree that Pakistan should invest in Rafale's until it can concentrate on what it will be doing to counter for post 2015 when most major Air Forces will be fully stealth capable, including probably India. If indeed Pakistan acquires a semi stealth Super 10, then that's another thing, which I heard they might procure of up to 72 ish. But if infact it's just a base model J - 10 with some base model chinese radar and suites, then go for the Rafales.
Also heard the FC-20 could be the full stealth JXX ...