Pacific Islands - Polynesia and Melanesia.

kiwipatriot69

Yes this is a part of the issue. There were discussions somewhere that HMNZS Aotearoa could provide water desalination “contactless” if necessary.

I'm surprised they decided to send Hmnzs Wellington to do the hydrographic survey part given the sensor capabilities, dive facilities and Rov that Hmnzs Manuwanui has.

Unless they think the onboard helicopter and hanger on the Wellington was more important?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm surprised they decided to send Hmnzs Wellington to do the hydrographic survey part given the sensor capabilities, dive facilities and Rov that Hmnzs Manuwanui has.

Unless they think the onboard helicopter and hanger on the Wellington was more important?
Wellington has a lighter draft than Manawanui IV and it also has the hydrographic grade multibeam sonar that used to be on Resolution then Manawanui III. Also HMNZS Matataua has the capability of operating out of 20ft containers which it does quite regularly so it's no problem. They are quite self sufficient operating out of their 20ft containers which if needed include accommodation and galley for a navy chef.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Kingdom of Tonga government have issued a media release. So far three deaths have been confirmed; UK national Angela Glover, a 65-year-old woman from Mango and 49-year-old man from Nomuka. Every house on Mango is destroyed and only two houses remain standing on Fonoifua. The wave height of the tsunami on the western side of Tongatapu is said to have been 15m but I would counsel caution because survivor's estimates can vary quite a bit and tsunami wave heights are measured as runup height which is the elevation contour above mean sea level the tsunami inundation reached wave reached. That's usually measured in the field after the event using surveying techniques. What we can surmise at the moment is that the probability exists that there will be more casualties and fatalities.

Evacuations underway on some islands in Tonga’s Ha’apai group (1news.co.nz)

This story has some images. Word has it that the runway will be cleared for operation tomorrow.

Images from the ground show damage in Tonga after tsunami (1news.co.nz)

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A RNZAF P-3K2 Orion did another recce flight yesterday. It also did a recce over the southern group of Lau Islands for the Fijian Government.

NZDF update on response to Tonga - New Zealand Defence Force

The first RNZAF Herc was due to land in Tonga at 1600 NZDT this arvo. It has relief supplies and comms equip onboard. I am given to understand that the cargo will be unloaded onto the tarmac by NZDF personnel and then moved from there by Tongan personnel without any physical contact between the two groups. The intention is to undertake two flights a day.

HMNZS Wellington is due tomorrow and will immediately begin checking the port and harbour approaches as well as the wharves. Aotearoa won't be far behind. Wellington as a Seasprite and some relief supplies onboard.

Canterbury will set sail on Saturday with relief supplies, equipment and 2 NH90 helicopters. It should be there on Tuesday by my reckoning.

Third navy ship to depart for Tonga, first relief supplies to arrive today | RNZ News

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
GNS update on Saturday's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai eruption. Initial estimates put the eruption volume at twice the size of the 1980 Mount St Helens eruption. They haven't seen a volcanic tsunami event like this since the 1883 Krakatoa eruption. The atmospheric shockwave has circled the planet a few times and is still continuing to do so.

kiwipatriot69

GNS update on Saturday's Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai eruption. Initial estimates put the eruption volume at twice the size of the 1980 Mount St Helens eruption. They haven't seen a volcanic tsunami event like this since the 1883 Krakatoa eruption. The atmospheric shockwave has circled the planet a few times and is still continuing to do so.

Would I be correct in assuming this is the biggest hadr mission Nzdf has undertaken in recent years?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Request for observations following the Tongan eruption and tsunami.

The NZ GNS (Geological & Nuclear Sciences) are requesting people to contact them if they saw, heard, felt or were physically affected by either the Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha’apai eruption and subsequent tsunami. This includes the atmospheric shock wave and it doesn't matter where abouts in the world that you live. They have an online form to fill out at the link below and it doesn’t take long. This helps them build up their database on the event and their understanding of the event.

seaspear

I understand that bringing the runways into an ability to support landing aircraft was the priority,from what I have read this has been left to local authorities, Is there an ability to airdrop bulldozers for this?

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I understand that bringing the runways into an ability to support landing aircraft was the priority,from what I have read this has been left to local authorities, Is there an ability to airdrop bulldozers for this?
I'm a bit confused by your statement, Fua'amotu airport is about 2km from the coast, so there's no need to prep the airport for LC ops. And the RAAF have already done some ash clearing ops themselves on the hardstand after the first C-17 landed. More heavy clearing gear will be arriving early next week on HMAS Adelaide.

seaspear

My understanding was that the runways were swept clean by hand but earlier reports mentioned delays for aircraft leading to my question of having the ability for a swift response to address the runways issues

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
My understanding was that the runways were swept clean by hand but earlier reports mentioned delays for aircraft leading to my question of having the ability for a swift response to address the runways issues
My apologies that was some poor reading comprehension on my part, I read "landing aircraft" as landing craft (too busy viewing things through a Naval lens). Yes the initial runway clearing was done by locals just to allow the first aircraft to land, but since then there's been imagery of RAAF crews using equipment to clear more ash off the tarmac.

seaspear

A question though is the feasibility of airdropping a bulldozer of ten tons as had been earlier demonstrated as a quicker response towards disaster relief ,in this instance it may not have been to a great advantage