Pacific Islands - Polynesia and Melanesia.

recce.k1

Fiji's General Elections are underway. There has been some potential controversy reported in the last 24 hours to do with purported "inconsistencies" with an aspect of the electronic voting system. However the "inconsistencies" have been explained today. There is also a Multinational Observer group present, which had been invited in to observe the elections, keeping an eye on things.

But a couple of unexpected developments have occurred:

"People’s Alliance leader and former coup commander Sitiveni Rabuka wanted the military to use its powers under the constitution to oversee a fair ballot count after alleging voting irregularities in the general election."

Thankfully:
Fiji’s military commander has declined to get involved in the electoral process after the leader of an opposition party wrote to him asking for intervention.

It's very unlikely the Fiji Military will do anything untoward.

However as a result of Sitiveni Rabuka's call for military intervention, it has been reported in the last couple of hours that he (and a couple of others) have been taken to the Police's Criminal Investigation Department for questioning.

Hopefully things settle back down again soon?

Sandhi Yudha

According to this article the Maori language and culture is becoming more and more popular. 50 years ago the language was almost disappeared, because usage of it was suppressed and forbidden by the immigrants. But now this language seems to become part of normal daily life for the majority of the population.
Can you confirm this @ngatimozart ?

In the photo we can see that on the garbage bins besides English and Maori, also chinese is used. Probably in case the chinese will claim in the future that they are the indigenous people of New-Zeeland.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to this article the Maori language and culture is becoming more and more popular. 50 years ago the language was almost disappeared, because usage of it was suppressed and forbidden by the immigrants. But now this language seems to become part of normal daily life for the majority of the population.
Can you confirm this @ngatimozart ?

That is not quite correct @Sandhi Yudha The Maori language isn't widely spoken amongst non Maori here yet, and not a lot of Maori are fluent in it, but many words and phrases are in common use than there used to be. The language certainly has had a revival over the last 40 - 50 years but there's still a way to go. A language is also an expression of a culture and maybe more so in Polynesian societies. When you learn Maori you are taught the culture as well. There is some pushback from a certain sector of society, but that's to be expected.

I can't speak it and mangle the pronunciation, but then I mangle the Queens English too, because of a strong southern NZ accent which is different to the rest of NZ. Apart from the Maori accent, it's the only regional NZ accent. I have done some Maori language lessons.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
can't speak it and mangle the pronunciation, but then I mangle the Queens English too, because of a strong southern NZ accent which is different to the rest of NZ. Apart from the Maori accent, it's the only regional NZ accent. I have done some Maori language lessons.
I don't have the southern accent but i am some what dyslexic and manage to mangle anything mildly complicated to pronounce in any language.;)

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
That is not quite correct @Sandhi Yudha The Maori language isn't widely spoken amongst non Maori here yet, and not a lot of Maori are fluent in it, but many words and phrases are in common use than there used to be. The language certainly has had a revival over the last 40 - 50 years but there's still a way to go. A language is also an expression of a culture and maybe more so in Polynesian societies. When you learn Maori you are taught the culture as well. There is some pushback from a certain sector of society, but that's to be expected.

I can't speak it and mangle the pronunciation, but then I mangle the Queens English too, because of a strong southern NZ accent which is different to the rest of NZ. Apart from the Maori accent, it's the only regional NZ accent. I have done some Maori language lessons.
I guess it’s back to the King’s English now.:)

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
As spoken in Canada? I must get oot and aboot more!

(And why, suddenly, can’t I post emojis? Anyway, on that score I agree with the immediately preceding “likes”)

Redlands18

PNG has 'appetite' for new defence deal (msn.com)
Australian PM Albanese will travel to PNG on Thurs 12 Jan, where he will become the first Foreign Leader to address the PNG Parliament. Also on the agenda is the signing of a new Defence Treaty between the 2 countries
Australia, Papua New Guinea agree to finalise talks on bilateral security treaty - ABC News
Expected to be finalised by the end of April, with a signing in June. The joint statement flags that Australia and PNG will expand Trg and possibly conduct joint exercises.

recce.k1

Some recent developments in Micronesia involving the CCP and Palau.

"A Chinese research vessel appeared to show interest in Palau’s undersea fiber optic cable ...".

Palau is asking for greater US assistance.
The Pacific island nation of Palau has asked the United States to step up patrols of its waters after several incursions by Chinese vessels into its exclusive economic zone, President Surangel Whipps Jr. told Reuters in an interview.

Whipps Jr. said he would also welcome a bigger U.S. military presence in the country, with troops stationed alongside existing coastguard and civil action teams, as Washington and Beijing vie for influence in the strategic region.

Palau is one of Micronesia's most vocal pro-US island nations and maintains diplomatic relations (recognises) Taiwan. The US is responsible for Palau's defence (as well as Micronesia in a overall sense) but seems to have let matters somewhat slip in recent times whilst it focused on the Middle East etc, however the US is now re-engaging again and for example as the article states "plans to install over-the-horizon radar in the country by 2026".

recce.k1

Probably need to add "Micronesia" to the name of this thread? :)

Potential for huge strategic ramifications if the United States Government and/or Congress doesn't get its act together regarding renewing funding for the Compacts of Free Association with Palau, the Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia.

(The CCP is already making moves into other parts of Micronesia, such as Nauru, that are not directly aligned with the US).

"This arrangement in the Pacific confers enormous advantages to both the United States and the FAS. The status of free association gives the U.S. military unilateral defense access to an area of the Pacific that is broader than the continental United States. More critically, it allows the United States to deny military access or strategic use of the FAS to third countries.

To try and quantify the immense strategic value of these agreements, consider a scenario in which China displaces the United States in the FAS and thereby establishes a line of control between Hawaii and Southeast Asia. Not only would such an outcome require a massive U.S. military buildup to maintain strategic balance—likely in the hundreds of billions of dollars—it would also place China directly in the rear of U.S. and allied forces in a Taiwan or South China Sea contingency. In addition, this scenario would isolate Australia and New Zealand from the United States.

Add in Guam/Mariana Islands also potentially being isolated, where of course the US has significant military bases ...

Last edited:

Armchair

Probably need to add "Micronesia" to the name of this thread? :)

Potential for huge strategic ramifications if the United States Government and/or Congress doesn't get its act together regarding renewing funding for the Compacts of Free Association with Palau, the Marshall Islands and the Federated States of Micronesia.

(The CCP is already making moves into other parts of Micronesia, such as Nauru, that are not directly aligned with the US).
Interesting. It is easy to see how something like that can be lost in political gridlock.

The article you quote refers to China making moves.
Just on Nauru the change of diplomatic recognition from Taiwan to Beijing in the Pacific (in my view) needs to be separated from matters such as basing and security arrangements. The former just brings those nations into line with the rest of the world