Pacific Islands - Polynesia and Melanesia.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Big part of ammo that coming into Papuan Armed Group, actually coming from within Indonesia. Yes some come PNG (as there're lot of Armed Groups also in PNG). However many sold by Indonesian. Some even by members of Police and TNI. It's good business after all.

Unlike the Insurgency in Aceh or East Timor that more or less having more centralised command, Papuan Insurgency groups coming from many factions with different motives. Some Tribal (conflict between mountain tribes toward coastal low land tribes that more or less control Provincial government), business motives against big mining company, and plus those who got genuine conflict with Indonesian government. Last count there're 19 armed groups come and go.

For that the business on supplying the ammo in Papua is quite lucrative, as many of them have separate financial backers. In some areas, armed conflict coincide with regional elections, or new mining, forestry or plantations company coming to area. Thus there're timing on that.

Once I talk with a wood plantations company executive, which told me when one of the group surrender (some of them sometimes surrender and sometimes acted again from time to time), the TNI officers that received them quite taken by surprise as half of their ammo and gun are Pindad made. Further investigation shown those are coming from items that supposed to be discarded for replacement.

So yes, there are good business for armed suppliers from PNG or within Indonesia toward them. Just note, some of Pindad ammo and guns also turn out in PNG or Solomon Islands armed groups. Like I said, good business.

Last edited:

cdxbow

Sadly, the Solomons has gone from zero cases of Covid19 at the end of last year to an overwhelmed healthcare system in the space of 2 months ‘People are dying on the floor’: healthcare workers tell of Covid devastation in Solomon Islands | Solomon Islands | The Guardian Prior to this outbreak their vaccination rate was thought to be only 20%. Australia sent an AUSMAT team at the end of January AUSMAT deployed to further support Solomon Islands COVID-19 response | Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs Minister for Women (foreignminister.gov.au) but it sounds like they need more assistance.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

I don't know if those two related or not. However PNG clearly bit concern on security arrangement. So far present PNG administrations does not shown much support for West Papuan Seperatist (unlike say Vanuatu). Thus I don't think much issue on security with Indonesia. Border security arrangement between West Papua and PNG are done more coordinately.

So, I'm still try to find out what they actually want to accomplish on this Tripartite Security agreement.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I don't know if those two related or not. However PNG clearly bit concern on security arrangement. So far present PNG administrations does not shown much support for West Papuan Seperatist (unlike say Vanuatu). Thus I don't think much issue on security with Indonesia. Border security arrangement between West Papua and PNG are done more coordinately.

So, I'm still try to find out what they actually want to accomplish on this Tripartite Security agreement.
I would suggest that they maybe concerned with the CCP / PRC moves on the Solomon Islands and what that will mean for them. Also the upcoming independence of Bougainville is uppermost on their minds and they can see CCP / PRC meddling and future activities there. They have been dragging the chain somewhat on the Bougainville independence and they do need to progress the required legislation granting independence through Parliament.

kiwipatriot69

I would suggest that they maybe concerned with the CCP / PRC moves on the Solomon Islands and what that will mean for them. Also the upcoming independence of Bougainville is uppermost on their minds and they can see CCP / PRC meddling and future activities there. They have been dragging the chain somewhat on the Bougainville independence and they do need to progress the required legislation granting independence through Parliament.

I wonder if the Leadership in the Solomans was challenged and he chose to stay in power regardless of the vote, backed by China as military enforcers?

Would New Zealand and Australia as part of a UN backed coalition then be involved in a defacto conflict with China?

Rock the kasbah

I wonder if the Leadership in the Solomans was challenged and he chose to stay in power regardless of the vote, backed by China as military enforcers?

Would New Zealand and Australia as part of a UN backed coalition then be involved in a defacto conflict with China?
In the Solomon's there is a thing called payback
After the missionaries arrived this turned into an eye for an eye which was always the way anyway?
Then we have after ww2 and all the tribes met a white man with heaps of guns, and the old blokes remembered where.
Rumour is the softest landing you'll have is at Honiara international airport due to buried ordnance
So back to payback
You live in villages around the place just like neighbour's
But the young blokes hit the spark ( there word for piss but it's bloody well true )
So what do you do with the younfellas let them go to the bigsmoke
Instead of having issues with other villages and chiefs and priests
They go there and howl at the moon
Funfortunately/ unfortunately of getting payback they'll burn China town so as to have a good time
Hence no payback
Until now

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In the Solomon's there is a thing called payback
After the missionaries arrived this turned into an eye for an eye which was always the way anyway?
Then we have after ww2 and all the tribes met a white man with heaps of guns, and the old blokes remembered where.
Rumour is the softest landing you'll have is at Honiara international airport due to buried ordnance
So back to payback
You live in villages around the place just like neighbour's
But the young blokes hit the spark ( there word for piss but it's bloody well true )
So what do you do with the younfellas let them go to the bigsmoke
Instead of having issues with other villages and chiefs and priests
They go there and howl at the moon
Funfortunately/ unfortunately of getting payback they'll burn China town so as to have a good time
Hence no payback
Until now
Us Maori have a similar concept. We call it utu and it's about reciprocity. If you give me a gift or do me a favour then I reply with a gift that is better or return the favour with something better than what I was originally given. If you harm me or kill a family member or someone close to me, then I shall return the favour with interest. In the Maori world utu of that type doesn't just happen in this world but the next as well, and it is placed on the perpetrators descendants until it's repaid in full or forgiven. Some utu has gone down many generations.

OldTex

There is another scenario which is just as likely. That scenario is when PM Sogavare tries to be independent of his CCP benefactors. At that point in time another 'leader' will be provided with the means to dispense largess/patrimony and then civil unrest will ensue. The CCP will then use its own military, para-military and police to 'support' their designated puppet leader.
At no point will the CCP allow a UN Security Council resolution to be enacted (unless the UN removes the right of veto of the 5 permanent members of the Security Council). Hence Australia or New Zealand won't become involved and so there won't be a defacto conflict with the CCP.

kiwipatriot69

There is another scenario which is just as likely. That scenario is when PM Sogavare tries to be independent of his CCP benefactors. At that point in time another 'leader' will be provided with the means to dispense largess/patrimony and then civil unrest will ensue. The CCP will then use its own military, para-military and police to 'support' their designated puppet leader.
At no point will the CCP allow a UN Security Council resolution to be enacted (unless the UN removes the right of veto of the 5 permanent members of the Security Council). Hence Australia or New Zealand won't become involved and so there won't be a defacto conflict with the CCP.

If there is strong evidence to support China has already, or plans to install puppet dictatorships ie in Solomon Islands or indeed elsewhere, wouldn't that be justification to kick them off the UN security council?

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
If there is strong evidence to support China has already, or plans to install puppet dictatorships ie in Solomon Islands or indeed elsewhere, wouldn't that be justification to kick them off the UN security council?
China is a permanent member with veto power. They together with the other 4 members is one reason the organization is next to useless. A bigger problem is the dozens of dysfunctional members in the general assembly.

recce.k1

Seems to be quite of bit of up-to-date coverage of the SI issue in the UK overseas media i.e. local A/NZ editions (Aussie media too but much of it appears pay-walled unless it's the ABC/SBS etc).

ASPI's Strategist had an interesting article yesterday and was pleased to see they highlighted fundamental issues of concern.

Perhaps the big question is why the government of Manasseh Sogavare, on record for wanting to cooperate with China ‘to build a world that is fair and just’, was negotiating a security agreement with Beijing without first seeking the endorsement of the people of Solomon Islands? An APMI Partners survey carried out in the Solomons in December found that 91% of respondents preferred their nation ‘to be diplomatically aligned more towards … liberal democracies’.

Insight into this question may be provided by a case study by Indo-Pacific researcher Cleo Paskal titled ‘How China buys foreign politicians’. Paskal presents what appears to be evidence of August 2021 payments originating from China to ‘39 of the [Solomons] Parliament’s 50 MPs’. According to Pascal, all of these MPs were ‘supporters to one degree or another, of the Prime Minister’. Alluding to Article 61 of the Solomons constitution, Paskal notes that 39 votes would be sufficient ‘with a small buffer’ to pass an alteration and push through Sogavare’s plan to delay the 2023 election until 2024. ‘And who knows what else he and/or Beijing would like to “adjust”?’ she asks.

We get now to the heart of the problem. As Australia and New Zealand emphasise transparency, sovereignty and democratic values and spend big on multimillion-dollar development projects, the geopolitical landscape may be rearranged by a series of budget bribes to members of Pacific parliaments. For, as Fernandes suggests, there’s no reason to think this vulnerability will be restricted to the Solomons.
The rest of the article also discusses A/NZ soft-power initiatives with its wider Pacific "families".

It's also interesting that SI PM Sogavare does face significant opposition, sure not necessarily from other politicians that appear to have been "bought" in order to support him, but the main Opposition party and some of the more populous neighboring provinces (islands) and these people are indicating they refuse to be "bought" by CCP coercion (some are advocating for restoration of diplomatic ties with Taiwan which would mean lesser CCP involvement and some are calling for greater US involvement. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

A couple of days ago the Micronesian States raised concern about PM Sogavare's plans, citing the Pacific being caught up again in another WW2 type conflict between the major powers, where they will be on the front-line. It's pleasing to hear these other voices especially voices from within the Polynesian, Melanesian and Micronesian societies themselves as normally their voices are not often heard.

Australia has made some recent excellent diplomatic efforts shoring up support from other Melanesian states (eg by having those states talk to PM Sogavare to raise their concerns). Soft power, not threats, are considered the best approach for the time-being, reminding PM Sogavare that they are part of a wider "family" (of other PI states).

But I had been wondering when these other PI states would speak-up with louder voices, but they may now have their chance. NZ foreign minister Mahuta appears to be suggesting bringing forward a PIF (Pacific Islands Forum) meeting so the SI/CCP "security issue" can be discussed by the forum members and affirm some action plans.

Mahuta (along with Aust efforts) is also building up support from Fiji, which I feel is pleasing because they also were favoring greater CCP involvement in some of their security affairs some years ago. (Aust is also building up support from the likes of PNG, although perhaps some of DT's Aussie commentators could lend some insights as I'm not overly familiar with Aus/PNG politics).

I do hope though that Australia and NZ can do a bit more with the (US aligned) Micronesian states, as they were looking to leave the PIF due to being overlooked for the (revolving) leadership role.

Surely any A/NZ efforts there may help assist the US, who are being criticised from within (i.e. by some within the US) for not doing more to counter CCP efforts within the Pacific? However to be fair there are many US voices raising these issues from time to time and over a number of years, so hopefully Washington will move faster.

(On a tangent note, Kurt Campbell, mentioned in the above article link, has been a great friend of NZ for it was he that raised the possibility of NZ acquiring the F-16 fighter/bombers in the late 1990's. Does NZ still have the caliber of civil servants like Gerald Hensley (since retired) nowadays that could sense and grab opportunities like that and support them all the way up to the highest levels of NZ's political establishment)?

Rock the kasbah

Ananda
When you have a look, chek the rape, pillage and plunder that's going on in PNG
Business wise
I'm from there and mate every country around the world wants a piece of that action.
I only ask because I know your good at this shit

Ananda

The Bunker Group
When you have a look, chek the rape, pillage and plunder that's going on in
I guess you mean why people still want to do business in PNG, considering the crime rate?
Perhaps why the Chinese still want to go there on business?

Well from business side only, let me tell you what my Indonesian Chinese clients told me. They say: "Chinese by nature like to gamble, thus we are like to take more risk if we see potential return"

However it is not only to Chinese, basically many Asian business like to take more risk, if they see potential is there. However the mainland Chinese are somewhat dare to take more Risk. One thing why they dare to do it is (this is my own assessment but also aknowledge by some of my colleagues in market), their Banks has bit loosen risk appetite compared other Asian Banks.

Thus their business guys can get financing for ventures in area that some other Banks perhaps reluctance to finance. Mainland Chinese just like other Asian Businesses put emphasis on relationship to build one Investment. If they already got connection to people in or have secure access to authority, then it is good enough for some of them to Invest in business venture.

Yes high crime rate can be problematic, however if they feel they have good local connection to cover it, then they will do it. Yes their government support is important, as PRC backing that help them open connection in new countries. However their government usually left them alone to finalise building local relationship.

That's why many mainland Chinese businesses also goes to Sub Saharan Africa, and other less developing market. They find opportunities that perhaps Western train corporate thinking will avoid. One other thing, mainland Chinese when come, they come as community. Thus from Large Enterprise, to middle even small individuals will try the business opportunities available.

So Asian businesses, whether Mainland Chinese, Indians, Koreans, Taiwanese, South East Asians, even Japanese businesses are have tendencies to gamble more than Westerners. However the Mainland Chinese have bigger tendencies, and their government facilitated that.

Last edited:

cdxbow

Buy a government for $7.800,000, I was thinking, if some of the DT members chipped in a bit, maybe we could beat this offer.

1648977171869.png

It's much cheaper than the US, you need hundreds of millions for each 'honorable' member. With the North Solomon's Provence potentially reaching independence from PNG, there could be another government for sale investment opportunity.

Attachments

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Buy a government for $7.800,000, I was thinking, if some of the DT members chipped in a bit, maybe we could beat this offer.

View attachment 49075

It's much cheaper than the US, you need hundreds of millions for each 'honorable' member. With the North Solomon's Provence potentially reaching independence from PNG, there could be another government for sale investment opportunity.
That's all well and good, but what would we do with it? We'd be expected to do grown up things and be responsible.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There was a report in the Solomon Star newspaper over the weekend that there is an active assassination plot against the current Solomon Islands PM Manasseh Sogavare. PLOT TO ASSASSINATE SOGAVARE – Solomon Star News. The alleged plot involves an assassination squad of five individuals who are familiar with weapons. It must be noted that the OPSEC of the plotters isn't exactly the best around. The Solomon Islands Police have called for "responsible reporting WRT this alleged plot. Police Calls for Responsible Media Reporting After Article on Plot to Assassinate PM - Solomon Times Online So who's winding who up?

kiwipatriot69

There was a report in the Solomon Star newspaper over the weekend that there is an active assassination plot against the current Solomon Islands PM Manasseh Sogavare. PLOT TO ASSASSINATE SOGAVARE – Solomon Star News. The alleged plot involves an assassination squad of five individuals who are familiar with weapons. It must be noted that the OPSEC of the plotters isn't exactly the best around. The Solomon Islands Police have called for "responsible reporting WRT this alleged plot. Police Calls for Responsible Media Reporting After Article on Plot to Assassinate PM - Solomon Times Online So who's winding who up?
'Responsible reporting?' More like he's concerned media isn't the puppet he thought it was.

Wouldn't be surprised if he locked a few up and replaced them regardless if it's true or not.

I wonder if he'd get China to provide security now under interests of ' national security ' maybe he could be spinning this news to work in his favour.