NZDF General discussion thread

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's interesting about the house prices because they have taken off like a startled hare here. It was unaffordable in places like Auckland and Wellington before, but now its just got a lot harder. Kiwis have always had an addiction about acquisition of property. Our biggest problem is lack of supply and land banking.

KiwiRob

That's interesting about the house prices because they have taken off like a startled hare here. It was unaffordable in places like Auckland and Wellington before, but now its just got a lot harder. Kiwis have always had an addiction about acquisition of property. Our biggest problem is lack of supply and land banking.
In Auckland there is a huge amount of empty housing, it just sits there waiting for the prices to in crease then gets flipped and will sit and wait for the next increase. My parents live down a private right of way, there are 10 houses in the development, 3 of those homes have been empty for years, they get flipped every so often by their offshore property investor owners.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There is talk amongst some Kiwi defence analysts that the new Labour government will cut back on the $20 billion CAPEX set aside for new capabilities. They also say that expanding the army will be put back or cancelled. I don't have a problem with the army expansion being pushed back at the moment, because it's my view that both the RNZAF and RNZN C4ISR, combat, and lift capabilities require upgrading and enhancement first. However if the rest of it is further delayed then we may as well kiss NZDF goodbye because of government inaction and despicable behaviour.

There have been reports about an ongoing witch hunt within NZDF over disloyalty during the election campaign. Apparently some serving service personnel believe that their loyalty to the Queen and the people of NZ supercedes their loyalty to the GOTD. From what I understand the government is not impressed at all by this attitude, hence the witch hunt. That was my belief when I served and is still my belief now. The way that it was explained to me when I was wet behind the ears and didn't know anything was that the NZDF didn't swear allegiance to a political party or Parliament. That was a safety mechanism to keep it from becoming politicised.

RegR

There is talk amongst some Kiwi defence analysts that the new Labour government will cut back on the $20 billion CAPEX set aside for new capabilities. They also say that expanding the army will be put back or cancelled. I don't have a problem with the army expansion being pushed back at the moment, because it's my view that both the RNZAF and RNZN C4ISR, combat, and lift capabilities require upgrading and enhancement first. However if the rest of it is further delayed then we may as well kiss NZDF goodbye because of government inaction and despicable behaviour.

There have been reports about an ongoing witch hunt within NZDF over disloyalty during the election campaign. Apparently some serving service personnel believe that their loyalty to the Queen and the people of NZ supercedes their loyalty to the GOTD. From what I understand the government is not impressed at all by this attitude, hence the witch hunt. That was my belief when I served and is still my belief now. The way that it was explained to me when I was wet behind the ears and didn't know anything was that the NZDF didn't swear allegiance to a political party or Parliament. That was a safety mechanism to keep it from becoming politicised.

Ironically now would in fact be the best time to expand army, defence is flush with applications and can actually afford to be picky and apply numbers to positions based more on qualifications rather than just numbers. I do not disagree there will be changes forced by covid but again these are merely peoples opinions, the govt holds the reigns, and the purse strings.

More loyal to the queen? That's a new one, I obviously did not roll in royalist circles during my time? I do agree alot will be more loyal to the people of NZ perhaps more than any GOTD depending on leanings but will still get on with the job but more loyal to the queen, again news to me.

Gracie1234

I think it would interesting to hear what pressure will be applied to the govt from other countries especially Australia considering where they are heading and the current environment. I would expect a lot of pressure from Australia, USA and even close countries in Asia.
Even Indonesia is looking to expand, they are in talks with Austria to buy their entire fleet of Eurofighters.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I think it would interesting to hear what pressure will be applied to the govt from other countries especially Australia considering where they are heading and the current environment. I would expect a lot of pressure from Australia, USA and even close countries in Asia.
Even Indonesia is looking to expand, they are in talks with Austria to buy their entire fleet of Eurofighters.
Regarding the Indonesian acquisition of Austria's Typhoons go have a read on the Indonesian Air Force thread. That may enlighten you more. I wouldn't bet the farm on it ever happening.

CJohn

One would hope the GOTD recognizes the noise from the South China Sea is only going to get louder as time moves forward.
New Zealand's stated commitment to the wider Pacific and the Southern Ocean means we need to stay the coarse with future planned defence procurement's. This is no time to bury your head in the sand. :oops:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
More loyal to the queen? That's a new one, I obviously did not roll in royalist circles during my time? I do agree alot will be more loyal to the people of NZ perhaps more than any GOTD depending on leanings but will still get on with the job but more loyal to the queen, again news to me.
I wonder about the “loyal to the people” part. After all, the people (voters) of NZ seem to be like Canada’s, whiners, voting for the party that promises the most for them, not the country.

RegR

I wonder about the “loyal to the people” part. After all, the people (voters) of NZ seem to be like Canada’s, whiners, voting for the party that promises the most for them, not the country.
Just like govts, we may not always agree with them, like them or even believe in their abilities but we all sign on to serve our countries, and therefore by default its people and let's also not forget we still are the people ourselves.

Xthenaki

Very briefly - Peeni Henare is from a very respected and esteemed Ngapuhi whakapapa. His grandfather was Sir James Henare, Commanding Officer of the 28th Maori battalion WW2

Last edited by a moderator:

Nighthawk.NZ

Very briefly - Peeni Henare is from a very respected and esteemed Ngapuhi whakapapa. His grandfather was Sir James Henare, Commanding Officer of the 28th Maori battalion WW2
Thought the name sounded familiar but wasn't sure if I was thinking of the right name ... Thanks

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
All I know about him was that in her announcement the PM said that he was appointed DEFMIN at his own request. Meka Whaitiri has been appointed as Minister of Veterans Affairs. About 18 months ago she was removed from her previous Ministerial post for bullying staff.

Edited to correct portfolio allocation error.

Last edited:

Gibbo

All I know about him was that in her announcement the PM said that he was appointed DEFMIN at his own request. Meka Whaitiri has been appointed as Minister of Veterans Affairs. About 18 months ago she was removed from her previous Ministerial post for bullying staff.

Edited to correct portfolio allocation error.
Been outta town & off line so only just seen this announcement. A quick look on FB & it's clear to see Sir James has had a big impact on the Whanau and left a huge legacy... so that's a positive indicator. Appointed at his own request suggests an agenda, but given everything else I'm seeing I suspect that will be a positive agenda for Defence. At the end of the day party politics will drive what he can do, and he is still an unknown quantity, but I'm going to take a positive view at this stage.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Plenty bad enough in the second row. Worked with some great ones at Waiouru, Shoalwater Bay, Pucka etc. Rough and tough and fantastic team players. Just not too bright, eh @ngatimozart ? ;)

oldsig
The front rowers are stranger breed - almost as strange as stokers. Well it's well known in Navy and Air Force circles that Army aren't the smartest people on the block @oldsig127 ;)