NZDF General discussion thread

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Yanks go ashore with too much money, the Brits go ashore with too much reserve, the Aussies go ashore to get drunk, and the Kiwis go ashore for a fight.......o_O
Yep but we do get our priorities right. We get partially drunk, have a fight or two, drink more and stagger back aboard. Are we still banned from the Fleet Club in Sydney?

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yep but we do get our priorities right. We get partially drunk, have a fight or two, drink more and stagger back aboard. Are we still banned from the Fleet Club in Sydney?
Probably, I know I am not overly welcome in Taranaki, although that was some time ago, surely they don't remember me ?

Pretty sure I might still have a picture up on the wall at the American Club in Singapore though :oops:

Nighthawk.NZ

The commemoration for the 102nd Anniversary of Armistice Day, the signing of the armistice between the Allied and the German powers, was held today at Pukeahu National War Memorial in Wellington.

The service was attended by the Minister of Defence The Honourable Peeni Henare, the Chief of Defence Force Air Marshal Kevin Short, the Warrant Officer of the Defence Force WO1 Mark Mortiboy and other guests.

After four terrible years, fighting in the First World War finally ended with the signing of an armistice between Germany and the Allies on 11 November 1918. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11 month, the guns fell silent.

Source NZDF ... Facebook

I think Peeni Henare is actually going to do our Defence Force proud... I just hope he gets the funding to do the job right.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The commemoration for the 102nd Anniversary of Armistice Day, the signing of the armistice between the Allied and the German powers, was held today at Pukeahu National War Memorial in Wellington.

The service was attended by the Minister of Defence The Honourable Peeni Henare, the Chief of Defence Force Air Marshal Kevin Short, the Warrant Officer of the Defence Force WO1 Mark Mortiboy and other guests.

After four terrible years, fighting in the First World War finally ended with the signing of an armistice between Germany and the Allies on 11 November 1918. On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11 month, the guns fell silent.

I think Peeni Henare is actually going to do our Defence Force proud... I just hope he gets the funding to do the job right.
Yes, I agree I think that he might be a good DEFMIN. I watched an item about him on one of the Maori TV news sites and he spoke about his great grandfather who sent Maori off to WW1 and grandfather who was a Lt Col in the 27th Maori Btn during WW2 and I think its final CO. We shall wait and see. On the other side of the House I see that Chris Penk, ex RNZN officer, is the Opposition National Party spokesbod for Defence and Veterans.

KiwiRob

Yes, I agree I think that he might be a good DEFMIN. I watched an item about him on one of the Maori TV news sites and he spoke about his great grandfather who sent Maori off to WW1 and grandfather who was a Lt Col in the 27th Maori Btn during WW2 and I think its final CO. We shall wait and see. On the other side of the House I see that Chris Penk, ex RNZN officer, is the Opposition National Party spokesbod for Defence and Veterans.
I think he will be hard put to equal his predecessor Ron Mark, who was probably the best Minister of Defense within living memory.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Looks like the has been significant movement in the delivery of the defence estate regeneration and that we will see significant movement soon.
NZDF joins forces with strategic partners to deliver estate regeneration - APDR
Also an interesting result of a survey in regard to the support that should be given to service personnel
Survey shows NZers want more support for military and families | RNZ News
I think that this shows that there is more support for the armed forces than some people and politicians would give credit for from the general population. this combined with a poll I read back in 2017 in which the largest group on defense spending was for an increase in the defense budget does bring into question the notion that people don't want to see an effective defense force.

Last edited:

Nighthawk.NZ

New Zealand Far-Right soldier accused of espionage, among 17 charges
Author: Florence Kerr and Thomas Manch

A soldier who led a white nationalist group has been charged with espionage, and is the first person to face an accusation of threatening New Zealand’s security by giving information to another country or foreign organisation.

The Defence Force on Wednesday said the soldier, who has name suppression, would face a court martial on 17 charges including multiple counts of espionage, attempted espionage, accessing a computer system for dishonest purposes, and possessing an objectionable publication.

Much of the detail of the allegations remains unknown, including the information the soldier obtained and which country or foreign organisation he shared the information with.

A friend close to the soldier’s family said they were shocked at the charges. The soldier, who was 27 years old when he was arrested at Linton Military Camp in December, now faces the possibility of 14 years in prison.

Stuff previously revealed the soldier’s connections to Far-Right, white nationalist groups, leading authorities to question him after the March 15 terror attack. A group the soldier led, the Dominion Movement, shut down after the terror attack but later re-organised under a new name.

The soldier continued to be involved in Far-Right groups after the March 15 attack, Stuff understands, and had been planning to fly out to Russia with his partner a week after his arrest.

friend close to the soldier’s family told Stuff it had already been a “tough year” for the family.

“Understandably they are in shock and need time to digest what is coming. I can’t stress enough that [he] comes from a good family who have no ties to racist groups.

“The actual charges – espionage, attempted espionage – you only hear about those things in American military movies.”

Wellington barrister Christopher Griggs, who has two decades of experience working in military law, said this appeared to be the first time someone had been charged with espionage since the Crimes Act was enacted in 1961.

“When I look through all of the New Zealand case law to the year dot, I can’t find any example of an espionage case in New Zealand ... So that is a big deal.”

He said the trial of public servant Dr William Sutch, who was accused of giving classified information to a Russian KGB operative in 1974, was the only case that appeared to be similar in New Zealand’s history.

Sutch was later found not guilty on a charge of breaching the Official Secrets Act.

Griggs said it was uncertain whether the soldier would eventually face the charges in a criminal court, as this depended on the information allegedly obtained by the soldier.

A court martial would be fronted by three members of the military, who had authorisation to view classified information.

“If there is national security information involved, that the Defence Force would not want to put into the public domain, then that would suggest that a jury trial is not a particularly good idea.”

Initially, in January, the soldier was charged with accessing a computer system for a dishonest purpose and the unauthorised disclosure of information – charges which Griggs also said were unprecedented.

In the statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, the Defence Force said the director of military prosecutions had laid 17 charges against the soldier.

The new charges were four counts of espionage and two of attempted espionage; two of possession of an objectionable publication; three counts of accessing a computer system for a dishonest purpose; one count of “doing an act likely to prejudice service discipline or bring discredit on the service”; one count of negligently failing to perform a duty; and four counts of failing to comply with written orders.

A date for the court martial hearing had not been set, the statement read.

A Defence Force spokeswoman confirmed it was the first occasion a soldier had been charged with espionage “in modern times”.

A spokeswoman for Defence Minister Peeni Henare said the minister would not comment on the matter, as it was before the courts.

Under the Crimes Act, a person can be charged with espionage for communicating or intending to communicate an object or information to a country or organisation outside New Zealand.

The information can include records, documents, sketches, photographs or sound recordings.

The crime can be punished by a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison.
New Zealand Far-Right soldier accused of espionage, among 17 charges

Is this part of the same case that was at the beginning of the year or is this different???

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Same soldier. He's in deep cow manure and I believe that the penalty is 14 years inside if found guilty. I am unaware of any previous serving NZ service person facing such a charge. If said soldier is found guilty I do hope that they get 14 years without parole. Personally I would prefer life without parole, but that isn't an available sentence. I don't have much hope of them getting the full 14 years because sentencing in NZ is fairly soft. A real pity the SCE at Ardmore is no longer in use. It's replacement at Burnham is soft by comparison.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Certainly a strange one. Has anybody heard any whispers (which they feel able to share) about the circumstances of the case, such as who the other country might be? Difficult to understand where somebody with far right wing views might seek to peddle his stuff.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Certainly a strange one. Has anybody heard any whispers (which they feel able to share) about the circumstances of the case, such as who the other country might be? Difficult to understand where somebody with far right wing views might seek to peddle his stuff.
The article mentioned that the arrested soldier had been planning on flying to Russia. That might sound like a strange destination to some, but given Russian systems have been hosting websites like Stormfront and various other similar far right/neo-nazi/white supremacist sites, it unfortunately is not quite so strange.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don't believe that it was a country. I think that it was to the group that he belonged too and other similar idiot groups.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Yes, that would make sense. Briefings usually make a point of the danger of the insider who is a member of an interest group. In fact, thinking about it, I’m a bit surprised there haven’t been previous cases, or at least ones that have risen into the public’s consciousness, on either side of the ditch.

Nighthawk.NZ

Yes, that would make sense. Briefings usually make a point of the danger of the insider who is a member of an interest group. In fact, thinking about it, I’m a bit surprised there haven’t been previous cases, or at least ones that have risen into the public’s consciousness, on either side of the ditch.
The say in this article they found groups in the US (which duh) and the UK and Germany etc so could be and probably is a link there somewhere

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There was also a TF soldier who recently parted company with the TF. Said soldier was also a far right nutter and whether he left of his own accord or got the DD, no-one is saying. He may be an Action Zealandia nutter too.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The current CDF and Service Chiefs have been reappointed as follows:​
  • Chief of Defence Force Air Marshal Kevin Short has been appointed for a further term of two years and ten months to April 2024.
  • Chief of Air Force Air Vice-Marshal Andrew Clark has been appointed for a further term of two years and nine months to June 2024.
  • Chief of Army Major General John Boswell DSD has been appointed for a further term of two years and nine months to June 2024.
  • Chief of Navy Rear Admiral David Proctor has been appointed for a further term of two years and seven months to June 2024.
“The reappointment of the Chief of Defence Force and the Chiefs of Service provides continuity and stability of leadership to the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) and its work programme. ... This team will allow NZDF to focus on supporting the domestic response to COVID-19, and to continue to progress the range of strategic defence objectives. This includes building a diverse succession pipeline for the NZDF’s most senior leadership roles; and contributing to the Government’s defence policy settings." Minister of Defence Hon Peeni Henare.

The Defence Briefing for Incoming Ministers was released on Tuesday. It is not the most exciting of reads and indicates a possible DWP in 2022. There is the MOD initiated Defence Assessment 2021 due to be delivered to the Minister in May 2021 which will inform the a DWP process. A Baseline Review of Defence was initiated by Treasury in 2019 after it identified a lack of visibility over the cause of cost pressures, particularly within the NZDF. The Baseline Review Report identified four key trends driving cost pressures within the NZDF, which resulted in a series of recommendations and findings. This is the first that I have heard of this review and would think that it's a Treasury cost cutting exercise. The briefing also stated that NZDF's 2020 / 21 budget was $3.0 billion, 1% of GDP. Overall it's more gloss than anything else and not as informative or well presented as previous ones. It's a political document, rather than a document to give the Minister a good informative briefing.

NZ Defence Briefing for incoming Minister Dec 2020

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Simon Ewing-Jarvie publishes a blog on NZ security issues and he has written an open alternate Briefing for the New Minister of Defence. It's a long but a good read and I agree with the vast majority of his points.

Last year he wrote an article detailing the costs that the capital and depreciation charges have on NZDF. I was somewhat astounded at how much the Treasury managed to claw back: "The capital charge of 15% equates to $384,765,000. It reflects a 6% ‘tax’ by the government on itself to reflect the value of assets." To put it into perspective, the amount clawed back would've probably paid for 1 P-8A and 2 C-130J.

The New Zealand Defence Force Galaxy comprises a 3-Star, six 2-Star (do the maths) and somewhere less than twenty 1-Stars. This ‘dwarf galaxy’* of an Air Marshal, Rear Admirals, Major Generals, Air Vice Marshals and Brigadiers (equivalent) represent the celestial command body of our armed forces. That's a lot of stars for a force of 15,000 including civilians. No wonder bull$hit castle is so top heavy. IMHO far to many brass hats with scrambled eggs. When I was in the RNZAF, NZDF was a much larger organisation probably close to 20 - 22,000 and from memory, we had one 3 star, three two stars, and probably no more than 10 one stars.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The United States, Canada, Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Norway and Sweden have signed an International Cooperative Engagement Program for Polar Research - ICE-PPR. This is the the first multilateral effort specifically focused on cooperation in high-latitude, cold weather locations across the globe and is a direct response to the rise of great power competition in polar regions and enables the full spectrum of research, development, testing, evaluation, experimentation, acquisition, fielding, and personnel exchange. This looks like a very interesting program and I can see the benefits that it will bring to all of the countries involved.

EDIT: I have copied this over from the US Defence thread because it is pertinent here as well.

swerve

Super Moderator
Simon Ewing-Jarvie publishes a blog on NZ security issues and he has written an open alternate Briefing for the New Minister of Defence. It's a long but a good read and I agree with the vast majority of his points.

Last year he wrote an article detailing the costs that the capital and depreciation charges have on NZDF. I was somewhat astounded at how much the Treasury managed to claw back: "The capital charge of 15% equates to $384,765,000. It reflects a 6% ‘tax’ by the government on itself to reflect the value of assets." To put it into perspective, the amount clawed back would've probably paid for 1 P-8A and 2 C-130J.

Capital charges have a lot to answer for. They discourage the holding of war stocks, for example. The idea is to discourage hanging on to assets which aren't needed, e.g. the RAF hogging lots of old housing which it no longer has any use for, & which it isn't maintaining so it's falling into decrepitude. There used to be such things. I remember one lot on a prime site in an area where housing was very short, with houses which used to be sound, but had been neglected so long that windows were falling out.

But they can be & IMO in many cases are applied inappropriately or excessively, & not just by government. I recall a pissed-off looking colleague telling me on the train home that he'd spent the whole day stopping a lot of no longer made components being sold as electronic scrap. Holding very low turnover stock made the accountants go into a tizzy over the capital cost, & warehouse managers got upset about not meeting their stock turnover targets. Why did we have those parts? Because product cycles.

We owned a huge amount of mobile telephony infrastructure (billions of quids worth?). There was a schedule for replacement of the older stuff, but because it worked & it cost money to take it out & put something new in (you should see some of the sites!), this was not done lightly. So when old stuff went out of production, enough spares to keep it operating until replaced (factoring in cannibalisation of replaced stuff as we went) were bought.

Scrapping spares kept on the books at their acquisition cost (a few hundred grand?) could have cost tens of millions. But that appeared in someone else's budget & costings . . . .

There should always be a system for exempting essential equipment from the standard criteria, & IMO capital charges should never be more than the real return which could be obtained from the assets on the open market - but they often are. A mostly empty military housing estate in prime commuter country, which could be sold for a large multiple of the cost of rehousing the remaining residents in better conditions - flog it! And clobber the budget of whoever has to authorise the sale until he or she does. But ammunition, or tanks, or spare parts?

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I remember when the capital charge system came out some time in the 1980's or 1990's that a treasury document was available that stated that the capital charge was not thought to be totally appropriate for defence but was applied so as to be consistent across government departments. This has lead to some interesting decisions over the years including getting rid of items that still have book value and would have some military value instead of having a reserve of equipment as a back up.