New Zealand Army

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lucasnz said:
Hi Whisky Jack

Have a go now, with the e-mail. Heres hoping.
No luck yet, may take a while to take effect, or may have to wait until you make 50 posts? I will try later on.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
Whiskyjack said:
No luck yet, may take a while to take effect, or may have to wait until you make 50 posts? I will try later on.
I have sent you an e-mail Lucasnz

Stuart Mackey

Whiskyjack said:
Hi Stuart, trying to rack my brains here where I saw this reference. It was in reference to the rotations to East Timor.
I seem to recall seeing it myself, so your not the only one. I have a book here at home somwhere which might reference it, I try and find it.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
Stuart Mackey said:
I seem to recall seeing it myself, so your not the only one. I have a book here at home somwhere which might reference it, I try and find it.
As I recall it was in a diagramme of the NZ Army structure with a note attached.

Stuart Mackey

Whiskyjack said:
As I recall it was in a diagramme of the NZ Army structure with a note attached.
Book I have makes no mention of any 3/1 RNZIR, cetainly not at the time of Timor. I have no doubt that there may have been a 3/1, but it was off the lists by 2000 and it does not appear now. Probably dropped at the time of the Territorial reorganisation.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
Stuart Mackey said:
Book I have makes no mention of any 3/1 RNZIR, cetainly not at the time of Timor. I have no doubt that there may have been a 3/1, but it was off the lists by 2000 and it does not appear now. Probably dropped at the time of the Territorial reorganisation.
Found the reference on the wikpedia article on the New Zealand Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Army

Not the most reliable source!

Rocco_NZ

3/1 Rnzir

Stuart Mackey said:
Indeed it is not, esp when official sources make no mention of a 3/1 battalion. It is for this reason that anything from wiki should be taken witha large bucket of salt.
You mean apart from the NZDF Annual Report, the NZD Briefing to the Incoming Government and the Ministry of Defence Briefing to the Incoming Government?

3/1 is maintaned as a cadre, but it does exist.

Whiskyjack

Verified Defense Pro
Rocco_NZ said:
You mean apart from the NZDF Annual Report, the NZD Briefing to the Incoming Government and the Ministry of Defence Briefing to the Incoming Government?

Thats where I think I saw it the briefing to the incoming Govt. I knew it was something more official! Thanks for that!

Last edited:

Rocco_NZ

Cadre

Of course, given the manning problems of most units at the moment, 2/1 isn't far away from being a Cadre at the moment either!

Stuart Mackey

Rocco_NZ said:

Are you sure? I downloaded those reports and unless the Adobe PDF search function has somehow failed the words 3/1 and Cadre do not exist in those documents. Nor do they exist when veiwed in the listed army force structure or other relevant part of those documents.
Could you post the relevant page number or copy paste the relevant text where it is mentioned?

Rocco_NZ

documents

I'll see if I can locate the document again. In the mean time, have you tried the Parliamentary Written Question Database? There is some very interesting information in there that hasn't found its way in to mainstream circulation.

Stuart Mackey

Rocco_NZ said:
I'll see if I can locate the document again.
Defence force and the MOD websites have the ones you mentioned.

In the mean time, have you tried the Parliamentary Written Question Database? There is some very interesting information in there that hasn't found its way in to mainstream circulation.
No, I havent. I confess I didnt know there was one. I shall eagerly look it up and see what half truths our public servants have been foisting on each other;)

NZLAV

New Zealand soliders

How well trained are the New Zealand soliders? I have heard they are one of the best in the world?

Thanks in advance

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
NZLAV said:
How well trained are the New Zealand soliders? I have heard they are one of the best in the world?

Thanks in advance
They're a very good outfit - and they've always had a very good and solid reputation as level 1 operators.

stryker NZ

New Zealand soldiers have always been considered some of the best in the world all the way back to WW1 where we first made our mark. NZ also have one of the most admired armies in the world because of the effort our guys make to get to know the people of the areas they get deployed to (eg look at how the people of East Timor have welcomed the soldiers from the NZ army). What lets us down is our lack of equipment and numbers. :cool:

Markus40

Re: NZ Land Forces.

Yes our soldiers are very good, however we are in danger of letting the Doctrine of Peacekeeping prevail over our war fighting ability. If we keep training them to the level they are today and have them function on the same level as the Australians then they are very good.

Its a pity we cant get our LAV into action and deployed to ET to work it through its paces.

stryker NZ said:
New Zealand soldiers have always been considered some of the best in the world all the way back to WW1 where we first made our mark. NZ also have one of the most admired armies in the world because of the effort our guys make to get to know the people of the areas they get deployed to (eg look at how the people of East Timor have welcomed the soldiers from the NZ army). What lets us down is our lack of equipment and numbers. :cool: