New Zealand Army

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Found this from Facebook
Army: (Costs ~$3billion today's currency)

You are now ignoring the advice given to you earlier.

Take this as a first formal warning.

Read the Forum Rules about what we expect from posts and how people should contribute.

Posting wish lists without any supporting commentary is not acceptable, We already have 2 other posts with this kind of "drive by" mentality and they fail to meet the expected Forum standards.

DO NOT post anymore threads like this.

jchan77

Sorry, I got hacked

Mod edit: One week ban initiated for making a false claim of an account security breach.
-Preceptor

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
...why would someone hack a forum account to post force plans for the NZDF?
Guys for your info a new Unit has been formally established by the CA its name is NZCTC ( New Zealand Collective Training Center) its two roles first is to conduct all PDT training for over seas missions & second is LOET or (Land Ops Evaluation Teams) to assess all Units in the Army conducting any type of training.

for those that saw the photos of the SAS in Kabul & are wondering about the DPM they are wearing they are the new uniform developed by Army trialed by CTC and now slowy being issued to all depolyments first.

recce.k1

Cheers for that Cadredave. Regarding the DPM, I was wondering about that & actually quite like it. However I am also curious as to why the traditional desert colours weren't used (that NZDF personnel deployed to the region wear). Is NZDF going to drop the desert pattern from now on? Or are SF exempt so to speak (or wish to maintain their own unique look)? Or will a new desert DPM be issued in due course?

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Cheers for that Cadredave. Regarding the DPM, I was wondering about that & actually quite like it. However I am also curious as to why the traditional desert colours weren't used (that NZDF personnel deployed to the region wear). Is NZDF going to drop the desert pattern from now on? Or are SF exempt so to speak (or wish to maintain their own unique look)? Or will a new desert DPM be issued in due course?
At this stage this is the only design we have, we are moving in the same direction as the UK where one uniform or DPM wil be worn to blend into more environments & as you can see SF have a better ability to cut red tape & get what they need faster than the conventional army. We (conventional army) wont be wearing the new uniform until we waste out the old stocks first.

Navor86

As a guide each battalion will have 812 people, including an ISTAR Coy, Logistics Co, 3 Infantry Companies, 1 Combat Support Companies. The structure seems at odds with whats going on overseas (Commando's, Stryker Brigade).
Is this structure already in use? And if so could anybody please give me a detailed structure of an NZ Inf Bn.

Lucasnz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Is this structure already in use? And if so could anybody please give me a detailed structure of an NZ Inf Bn.
That structure was proposed about 4 years ago. There have been changes and some proposals since then that affect the total number of personnel and the organisation of an the RNZIR as a whole as well the battalions. Hansards published a response to a Ministers meeting a couple of years of ago and the authorised strength was different to the proposal. I'll try and dig it out when I get a chance.

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
1RNZIR is currently structured like this,
3 x Lav Companies,
1 x CSS Coy,
(dismounted recon pl/snipers, signal pl) no Support Coy as such

2/1RNZIR:
3 x Rifle Coy,
Spt Coy minus mortar platoon &
1 x CSS Coy

this current organisation of the Infantry Battalions was the start however the White paper has frozen any further reorganisation until our future direction is set in March or April by the minister.

Wahuuga

Hope this is the correct place for this.

I was at a resent display at Wigram, and during display, the guys deploying from the Huey were said to be from '1st recon platoon'.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about recon elements in NZ? are they merely trained for heli operations, or something else?

Specter

hey guys.... Ive enlisted to the army and begin my AARC on the 1st of July, I am particularly interested in marksmen, and am intrigued with the possible integration of the HK417, and was wondering which combat specialization would best suit my interests?

I'm sorry if this question seems like army try-hardness but ive searched all over the internet and have found squat :confused:

foxdemon

I don't see it as a Vs argument. A number of 155's (a Battery's worth?) could be procured to compliment the existing 105's.

Did the ADF operate 155mm calibre Arty prior to the purchase of the M198's?

Sorry to drag this up and sorry to contradict aussiedigger's reply. If I'm not mistaken, we used 5.5" guns prior to the M198's.

Norm

Range & Accuracy of the L119 105mm light gun to be improved

The recently posted NZ Army strategic Roadmap which presumably reflects funding flowing from the yet to be released White paper on Defence shows under 2010/2011 that the accuracy and range of the L119 will be improved.

http://www.army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/public-docs/2010/strategic-plan/army-strategic-plan-full.pdf

There was a good write up on the project in the Army news a while back,I'll post a link in due course.Some minor capital expenditure for Gun Navigation and pointing and weapon management devices coupled with new extended range ammunition will extend the L119 105mm light guns range from 11,400m to a max 19,800m.The light guns planned life is 2017 when presumably the Indirect Fire System(IFS) replacement will be settled,not in the Roadmap above which covers period to 2015.

Given the NZDFtrack record, it's been has been looking at 40mm Automatic Grenade Launchers since 1999 with no evidence of in service in 2010, I think 155mm calibre weapons are well down the track.

dmitler

tell me please smb - is NZ section organization is similar to Australian? i mean not only quantity of people in section/fire team but. it is interesting which weapon is carried in each team in the section. do they divide to assault and suppord team or otherwise?

Cadredave

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
tell me please smb - is NZ section organization is similar to Australian? i mean not only quantity of people in section/fire team but. it is interesting which weapon is carried in each team in the section. do they divide to assault and suppord team or otherwise?
In the Dismounted battalion (2/1 RNZIR) yes the structure is the same as 1 & 2 RAR with only minor differences eg no Mortar or Pioneers attached etc, however in the Mounted Battalion (1RNZIR) the TTP & SOP are very different, this Bn is still evolving & is yet to go firm with what TTP/SOP they will adopt.

Norm

The recently posted NZ Army strategic Roadmap which presumably reflects funding flowing from the yet to be released White paper on Defence shows under 2010/2011 that the accuracy and range of the L119 will be improved.

http://www.army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/public-docs/2010/strategic-plan/army-strategic-plan-full.pdf

There was a good write up on the project in the Army news a while back,I'll post a link in due course
As promised here is the link, NZ Army News issue 400 Page 14 "Offensive support Battle Lab"

http://www.army.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/army-news/21july2009armynews400.pdf

Cheers:)

Last edited by a moderator:

riksavage

Banned Member
I read the Aus army are switching to Multicam uniforms for future Afghan deployments following on from the US and UK decision to do the same. The NZ contingent wear the old UK light brown/sand cam, are they also planning to switch to the new pattern? Makes sense and should save on cost if they leveage of the Aus order.

The way things are going they might as well make Multicam the NATO standard, the same way 5.56 & 7.62mm is considered a NATO standard ammuntion. Avoids any unfortuante recognition errors on the battlefield if the allies adopt a standard pattern field dress.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
I read the Aus army are switching to Multicam uniforms for future Afghan deployments following on from the US and UK decision to do the same. The NZ contingent wear the old UK light brown/sand cam, are they also planning to switch to the new pattern? Makes sense and should save on cost if they leveage of the Aus order.

The way things are going they might as well make Multicam the NATO standard, the same way 5.56 & 7.62mm is considered a NATO standard ammuntion. Avoids any unfortuante recognition errors on the battlefield if the allies adopt a standard pattern field dress.
I would think it unlikely for the PRT to change Cam's due to its role, the SAS Task group would be a different matter, and if they did they certainly wouldn't announce it.

A NATO standard Cam is a interesting thought has it been done before?

recce.k1

A "controversial" photo published earlier this year revealed the NZSAS appearing to wear multicam uniforms. (Controversial as in another media outlet that first published the pics didn't pixel out both troopers faces).

Photos emerge of SAS in action - national | Stuff.co.nz

Cadredave commented here at the time saying the Regular Forces will receive them in time.

CD - any update on timelines and will the PRT be wearing them?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I would think it unlikely for the PRT to change Cam's due to its role, the SAS Task group would be a different matter, and if they did they certainly wouldn't announce it.
NZ regs will eventually change....

NZSAS already have been