New Coronavirus threat

hauritz

I am trying to find positives in all this. Mainly for my own sanity. I actually do believe that economically we will undergo short term pain but things will turn around relatively quickly. The bulk of business suffering would appear to be the traditional retail industry ... but to be honest they were dying a slow death anyway. The traditional store has been fighting a losing battle to keep up with online retailing for years. Online retailers are open 24 hours a day and can offer a bigger product range at better prices. When it does come time for the traditional retailer to reopen its stores it may find that much of its old customer base has moved on.

For many other companies, it is just business as usual. I have worked from home for years and have a small but reliable client base. So far I can't say that I have noticed any drop off in work. If you work in front of a computer it doesn't make a lot of difference where you are working from. A lot of the companies I do work for have been transitioning their workforce to either work from home or have been becoming more reliant on freelancers and contractors anyway.

We might also see the manufacturing industry come back home as well. For example, just about every western nation is struggling to get their hands on medical equipment and supplies. Even hand sanitiser is almost impossible to get. The reason is simply that all this stuff is coming from China. It may not be a bad thing for countries to take back some control of their domestic manufacturing industries particularly when these industries are delivering essential services.

There is a lot of pain out there at the moment but for most of us the sun will still come up again tomorrow and smart businesses will find ways to keep their doors open and perhaps even find new opportunities.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The exercise cancellations are prudent precautions, they can be rescheduled. Assets like CVNs being affected are a much bigger concern. As for the global impact, I suspect all players will have difficult times and I doubt any one particular national military will get an appreciable advantage from this crisis.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
We might also see the manufacturing industry come back home as well. For example, just about every western nation is struggling to get their hands on medical equipment and supplies. Even hand sanitiser is almost impossible to get. The reason is simply that all this stuff is coming from China. It may not be a bad thing for countries to take back some control of their domestic manufacturing industries particularly when these industries are delivering essential services.
The thing is, with China COVID 19 seems slowing down, some of the capacities that being build up during previous months for medical supplies are now open to export.
Granted many more essentials medical equipment should be also hold domestically. Still perhaps half of it will still come from China.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Given China’s past behaviour back in Dec-Jan, I see no reason to accept their proclaimed number of cases. After all, China has a billion more people than the US. We will soon know how accurately they are reporting when the world experiences the second wave of infections once relaxation starts. Hopefully an easy to use antigen test kit arrives soon that will provide data on how much of the population actually has been exposed and has since recovered.
.Yes I agree with that and have seen no reason to change my mind. I see that the media here appears to be taking the ChiCom announcements as gospel.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
@seaspear the COVID-19 virus is not an airborne pathogen but a droplet pathogen. It's made clear in this NZ Ministry of Health Q&A COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) questions and answers. Now, I can't remember if it was you or someone else who I corrected the other day on this same point, but don't go spreading misinformation about it, OK.
I have posted info on this twice in this thread.
Yes my bad, my understanding though is that bacteria from coughs and sneezes can stay alive in the air for up to forty five minutes
The coronavirus likely can remain airborne. It doesn’t mean we’re doomed
of course advice can be confusing
The South China Morning Post reported that some time ago, 41 medical staff in Singapore were quarantined after they were exposed to a single patient, whom they did not know had the coronavirus at that time — no transmission in this reported case. As I explained earlier, medical staff in Singapore have confidence in its protocol:

“...amid all the gloom, Singapore’s experience is being held up as a reason for optimism. The city state has reported more than 630 cases of infection, all of which are being treated in hospital, yet only a handful of its health care professionals have been infected. What’s more, even these cases, according to Vernon Lee, director of communicable diseases at the Ministry of Health, are thought to have been infected outside the health care setting.

Experts suggest this has been more than just luck, pointing to a case in which 41 health workers were exposed to the coronavirus in a Singapore hospital yet evaded infection.

The workers had all come within two metres of a middle-aged man with Covid-19 who was being intubated, a procedure which involves a tube being inserted into the patient’s trachea. The procedure is seen as being particularly hazardous for health workers as it is “aerosol generating” – patients are likely to cough.”

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I am convinced that Singapore’s and SK’s more disciplined and responsive citizens are also helping in minimizing the crisis in addition to the excellent healthcare performance.

The brute force of the CCP may be producing similar results. Maybe this virus should have been named CCP-19.

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am convinced that Singapore’s and SK’s more disciplined and responsive citizens are also helping in minimizing the crisis in addition to the excellent healthcare performance.

The brute force of the CCP may be producing similar results. Maybe this virus should have been named CCP-19.
There was a great article (Greg Sheridan)in the online “Australian” (a Murdoch paper) this weekend which made the very point that the Confucian societies, some of whom you mention, are more disciplined, obey their leaders and respect the common good.
Whereas in the “enlightened” western democracies the personal rights and individual freedoms are espoused to such a high degree that they usurp the greater society good (particularly over the last 3 decades) needed to combat the pandemic.
The many examples of people’s total disregard for controls to fight the virus illustrates this point.
I don’t have the link.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Unfortunately the people just below our southern border are big believers in enlightenment to the point where a major tragedy is possible (along with less than ideal leadership from the WH).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
According to this article there seems to be tensions between Hubei and adjacent provinces now the “relaxation” has started. This could happen between EU members as well, perhaps even amongst US states. The world really needs an accurate assessment of how many people have actually been exposed which in turn will give a realistic mortality rate which will hopefully be much less than the 1-2% figure based on the deaths/reported infections ratio.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
According to this article there seems to be tensions between Hubei and adjacent provinces now the “relaxation” has started. This could happen between EU members as well, perhaps even amongst US states. The world really needs an accurate assessment of how many people have actually been exposed which in turn will give a realistic mortality rate which will hopefully be much less than the 1-2% figure based on the deaths/reported infections ratio.
There are already reports of tensions between US states and communities. I do not know how much of that is fact, and how much is individuals and groups deliberately pot-stirring and spreading misinformation, but there are certainly some who insist on spreading false or inaccurate information.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I have heard reports that some states are pissed at each due to being bumped from order ques due to higher priced offers being made. Not sure on the accuracy though.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I have heard reports that some states are pissed at each due to being bumped from order ques due to higher priced offers being made. Not sure on the accuracy though.
That might be true, OTOH it now seems that a number of PPE orders placed by states have been seeing their orders get either cancelled or 'bumped' so that more recently placed Federal orders are fulfilled. Not sure if the Federal orders are to replenish the Strategic National Stockpile, if it is to augment PPE supplies being distributed. A concern I have regarding Federal orders being filled first, is whether or not there will shipment bias on who ends up receiving the supplies. Given some of the commentary, I could see priorities being set by a metric other the needs of public health.

I know that some of the supplies are 'expired' but that emergency waivers have been granted for their use. To be fair though, depending on the sterilization method used as well as the storage conditions, expired product could be perfectly good and still sterile, it just has not been subjected to the FDA's testing regimen to confirm that.

At this point (now that I am furloughed for at least two weeks...) I am trying to find out/decide whether I want to do First Responder health assessments or distribute PPE from shipments received from the strategic national stockpile next week.

hauritz

The mortality rate is no doubt lower than being reported simply because many cases haven't been detected. In Australia's case it has detected over 3500 cases with 14 deaths ... which would indicate a fairly low mortality rate. It is possible that Australia may have done a better job of tracking down these cases than most countries. Singapore, South Korea, Germany, Taiwan, Japan, Israel and quite a few other countries also seem to be recording fairly low mortality rates. New Zealand hasn't recorded any deaths.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The mortality rate is no doubt lower than being reported simply because many cases haven't been detected. In Australia's case it has detected over 3500 cases with 14 deaths ... which would indicate a fairly low mortality rate. It is possible that Australia may have done a better job of tracking down these cases than most countries. Singapore, South Korea, Germany, Taiwan, Japan, Israel and quite a few other countries also seem to be recording fairly low mortality rates. New Zealand hasn't recorded any deaths.
That number is somewhat misleading, though I agree that there are likely a number of cases which were mild enough for people to have been infected with SARS-CoV-2 but not been tested for it. What I pay more attention to at this point, is the number of deaths vs. closed cases, because if someone is still sick with the virus they have not died (yet) but still potentially could. In this respect Australia is doing fairly well with only 14 deaths and 170 recovered which works out to just over 7% of those confirmed cases having died. The US OTOH... with ~2,211 deaths and 3,231 recovered means that ~40% of no longer active cases ended in death.

BTW data sourced from here as of 29 March, 2020 00:32 GMT.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. The number of coronavirus cases in Singapore passed the 800 mark to hit 802 (with a 3rd death), after the Health Ministry said on 27 Mar 2020, it had detected 70 more people with the infection.
There was a great article (Greg Sheridan)in the online “Australian” (a Murdoch paper) this weekend which made the very point that the Confucian societies, some of whom you mention, are more disciplined, obey their leaders and respect the common good.
2. True.
Whereas in the “enlightened” western democracies the personal rights and individual freedoms are espoused to such a high degree that they usurp the greater society good (particularly over the last 3 decades) needed to combat the pandemic.
3. We have our own idiots. Law and Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam said in a Facebook post that he had requested police and enforcement agencies to step up checks after reports of clubs offering promotions for "one last bash" before the long shutdown of cinemas and clubs in Singapore — closed from 26 Mar 2020, 11.59pm till 30 Apr 2020.
The many examples of people’s total disregard for controls to fight the virus illustrates this point.
4. The key difference is the scary collective memory of SARS that is burned in the minds of Singaporean leaders and the entire medical community — whose leaders provide a shining example to clear crisis communication. I have 2 more points to share on this:

One, by being clear and transparent in crisis communication, the public are able to take recommendations about what to do, seriously.​
Two, on day 1 of the outbreak, the Singapore Government had a day 30th and day 60th crisis communication plan template in place (on top of the contingency action plan for day 1 to day 180).​

I would bet that most leaders in Western governments were under prepared mentally for the scale and speed of the outbreak of this pandemic.
5. Since the 2003 SARS scare, the scale of Singapore’s preparation at any level below the government for a pandemic, in terms of stocking up on PPE (and countless other measures), in every neighbourhood clinic and private hospitals (before the national stockpile or the government run hospitals) is on a scale that the most well resourced New York hospital cannot get budget approval for 12 months ago.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
An update, NZ recorded it's first death with a female in her seventies dying within the last 24 hours from COVID-19. She'd originally presented with and was being treated for influenza until she was confirmed as a COVID-19 patient.

hauritz

The thing is, with China COVID 19 seems slowing down, some of the capacities that being build up during previous months for medical supplies are now open to export.
Granted many more essentials medical equipment should be also hold domestically. Still perhaps half of it will still come from China.
I have zero faith in any information coming out of China. Reports of thousands of burial urns still arriving in Wuhan would suggest China hasn't got anything under control other than its media.