New Coronavirus threat

Boagrius

My view is that we take all the anti-lockdown, ant-vaxxers and give them all a free joyride on the world's lonely fleet of cruise ships for the duration of the pandemic. No jabs, no lockdowns, nada - go for your life and have a party. The catch is that if they all get sick with it there's no returning to terra firma for help. Fair, no? :p

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
My view is that we take all the anti-lockdown, ant-vaxxers and give them all a free joyride on the world's lonely fleet of cruise ships for the duration of the pandemic. No jabs, no lockdowns, nada - go for your life and have a party. The catch is that if they all get sick with it there's no returning to terra firma for help. Fair, no? :p
In that case this would apply.
FB_IMG_1627421973151.jpg

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mask mandates can save lives in a pandemic —Part 1
No jabs, no lockdowns, nada - go for your life and have a party.
1. The CDC was too chickenshit to make the call earlier, on the need to both vaccinate and for masking (based on preliminary data) — early data from Israel and Singapore showed disturbing trends that Singapore has acted on, to prevent.

Let me share the news, both good and bad in layman language. First, the bad news:​
(i) Delta is much more infectious and can be spread in a 5 to 10 second exposure period (instead of 15 mins, when CORVID-19 was first labelled as a pandemic by the WHO); and​
(ii) Vaccinated people can catch and spread the virus, and there may be a correlation between last jab and waning immunity (as months pass, the level of protection is less), therefore everyone needs to wear a mask and take sensible social distancing precautions.​
Second, the good news is that vaccines still work to prevent a more serious manifestation of the illness — often the infected do not need oxygen support, even if infected. Also, a vaccinated person that is asymptomatic or mildly sick will spread the virus for a shorter period (typically 9 days).​

2. The Governor of Arizona, Douglas Ducey Jr., will use a badly drafted law that kills more Americans to help spread the virus — not only does America have a lower vaccination rate than Singapore, our mask wearing compliance rate is much higher. The new CDC recommendations are not binding and many Americans, especially in Republican-leaning states, may choose not to follow them. At least eight states bar schools from requiring masks.

3. Anyone with common sense will know that what they are doing in Arizona will get more Americans killed in this pandemic. Governor Ducey wrote:
“We’ve made it clear from the beginning that Arizona will not mandate the COVID-19 vaccine, but we encourage everyone to get it. It is the surest way of keeping you and your loved ones safe. I got my shot once I was eligible, and I’m glad I did. We have a proven solution with the vaccine, so we will not close any businesses, schools will remain open for in-person instruction and there will be no mask mandate.”​

4. Delta is so serious that even with a daily case count of about 130 plus, Singapore has gone back into our version of a ‘limited lockdown’ or Phase 2 (Heightened Alert). As of 27 Jul 2021, there are 136 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in Singapore. There are 4 new clusters (5 to 10 second exposure without masks) including at Westlite Juniper Dormitory. Below are pictures of testing at a HDB block, with an outbreak of CORVID-19.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Let me share the news, both good and bad in layman language. First, the bad news:​
(i) Delta is much more infectious and can be spread in a 5 to 10 second exposure period (instead of 15 mins, when CORVID-19 was first labelled as a pandemic by the WHO); and​
(ii) Vaccinated people can catch and spread the virus, and there may be a correlation between last jab and waning immunity (as months pass, the level of protection is less), therefore everyone needs to wear a mask and take sensible social distancing precautions.​
Second, the good news is that vaccines still work to prevent a more serious manifestation of the illness — often the infected do not need oxygen support, even if infected. Also, a vaccinated person that is asymptomatic or mildly sick will spread the virus for a shorter period (typically 9 days).​

2. The Governor of Arizona, Douglas Ducey Jr., will use a badly drafted law that kills more Americans to help spread the virus — not only does America have a lower vaccination rate than Singapore, our mask wearing compliance rate is much higher. The new CDC recommendations are not binding and many Americans, especially in Republican-leaning states, may choose not to follow them. At least eight states bar schools from requiring masks.

3. Anyone with common sense will know that what they are doing in Arizona will get more Americans killed in this pandemic. Governor Ducey wrote:
“We’ve made it clear from the beginning that Arizona will not mandate the COVID-19 vaccine, but we encourage everyone to get it. It is the surest way of keeping you and your loved ones safe. I got my shot once I was eligible, and I’m glad I did. We have a proven solution with the vaccine, so we will not close any businesses, schools will remain open for in-person instruction and there will be no mask mandate.”​
Well considering the lack of intelligence and common sense within the Republican Party, what do you expect. They are going from bad to worse and there's no sign of them backing down.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well considering the lack of intelligence and common sense within the Republican Party, what do you expect. They are going from bad to worse and there's no sign of them backing down.
I sometimes wonder how the smallpox and polio vaccination programs would have fared in the US had social media and Fox News been available.

Bob53

I agree that marching at this point in time is pretty stupid but I certainly feel for all of the business owners that have been closed down for months at a time over the past 18 months. If you know anyone running their own business in food, fitness, beauty, travel you will understand how they have been smashed.

It was also interesting to listen to some of the media, police and political reactions condemning the people marching while remaining silent or even with words of encouragement and understanding when extinction rebellion and BLM marches took place last year. I'm pretty sure very few got arrested or fined by police during the BLM marches. Why is there a different standard of policing being applied?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I agree that marching at this point in time is pretty stupid but I certainly feel for all of the business owners that have been closed down for months at a time over the past 18 months. If you know anyone running their own business in food, fitness, beauty, travel you will understand how they have been smashed.
I understand that your PM has made an announcement WRT Federal help for affected businesses.
It was also interesting to listen to some of the media, police and political reactions condemning the people marching while remaining silent or even with words of encouragement and understanding when extinction rebellion and BLM marches took place last year. I'm pretty sure very few got arrested or fined by police during the BLM marches. Why is there a different standard of policing being applied?
Because of the health orders in place and the highly infectious nature of the Delta variant of COVID-19. That's why. If people cannot understand that then they should have a brain reboot.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
False equivalency - when the BLM protests happened they were approved, all protestors wore masks and the daily case rate was around 2 a day with the original Covid, not to mention protestors were met with a larger and harder NSW police presence. Now on the day of the protest last weekend the day's case count was 163, very few of those morons were wearing a mask and they got off relatively lightly by the NSW Police.

tonnyc

Plenty of US media, police, and politicians condemned the BLM protestors. But if one doesn't live in the US then the news would be international news and not local news.

There were protests done in Australia in support of the BLM protests in the US but but in Australia at the time last year COVID-19 was successfully contained.

Another major difference is that by and large the BLM protestors acknowledged the danger of the pandemy and masked up. Tried to maintain social distancing too. The mask in particular is important. It greatly cuts down the infection rate. Not everyone wore a mask but the vast majority did. Just look at the photos from last year. In contrast, the current protest done by anti-lockdown antivaxxers crowd are also anti-mask. They pretty much flouted every health precaution out there and this will show up two weeks from now.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Plenty of US media, police, and politicians condemned the BLM protestors. But if one doesn't live in the US then the news would be international news and not local news.

There were protests done in Australia in support of the BLM protests in the US but but in Australia at the time last year COVID-19 was successfully contained.

Another major difference is that by and large the BLM protestors acknowledged the danger of the pandemy and masked up. Tried to maintain social distancing too. The mask in particular is important. It greatly cuts down the infection rate. Not everyone wore a mask but the vast majority did. Just look at the photos from last year. In contrast, the current protest done by anti-lockdown antivaxxers crowd are also anti-mask. They pretty much flouted every health precaution out there and this will show up two weeks from now.
There were also a number of BLM protesters wearing masks to avoid being identified performing criminal acts. Probably a few anti-lockdown types doing the same.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mask mandates can save lives in a pandemic —Part 2
I agree that marching at this point in time is pretty stupid
5. See post #871 that explains the basics of the super contagious Delta variant. The idiots protesting in Sydney are mostly not wearing masks — it’s a super spreader event. The R0 if assumed to be 5, the arithmetic progression at 6th cycle will bring Sydney, NY or Singapore’s entire heath system to a crisis point with 78,125 infected (see the maths in prior post #863).

but I certainly feel for all of the business owners that have been closed down for months at a time over the past 18 months.
6. Singapore is now doing routine surveillance testing wastewater from each apartment at regular intervals (aka testing shit from sewage) and if Corvid-19 is found, MOH will test each resident in that apartment by sending in a mobile testing team.

7. Everyone is suffering be it in America, Australia, Canada or Singapore. Singapore had a plan for businesses to re-open before this latest outbreak — from the Jurong Port cluster — from there it reached many markets that sell fish and imported produce. When you have a virus that spreads within 10 seconds of contact during an infectious phase, it’s very hard to control such a virus. Let me repeat this, the idiots protesting in Sydney are mostly not wearing masks. There are now 145 new local cases in NSW as the COVID-19 outbreak there accelerates. The two new deaths in NSW come amid concerns that the anti-lockdown protest that took place in Sydney's CBD over the weekend could be a "super-spreader event".
Ask yourself: How many policemen have died from CORVID-19 in NY or Sydney?​

In Singapore, the number of police who died from Covid-19 is zero. All policemen now are vaccinated, and all of the SAF is vaccinated (because, these guys will be deployed in the next line of defence). All bus drivers and all health care workers are vaccinated or tested routinely. The testing is such a hassle, they choose to be vaccinated.
(a) In Australia or in Singapore, a whole apartment block on lockdown is increasingly common. 10 cases of Covid-19 infection have been detected in six households at 438 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10. The testing will be conducted at the void deck of 438 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 on July 29, between 9am and 4pm.​
(b) Another 10 cases of Covid-19 infection have been detected at seven households at 430 Clementi Avenue 3, and three cases in three households at 445A Clementi Avenue 3. Mandatory Covid-19 testing for all residents of 430 and 445A Clementi Avenue 3 will be conducted at the void deck of 430 Clementi Avenue 3, from July 29 to July 30, between 9am to 4pm.​
(c) In total, there are currently 44 active clusters, ranging between 3 and 932 infections in Singapore. It takes competence of a very high level to trace and link every ongoing infection found in Singapore. NY or Sydney does not have the level resources thrown at this problem of the pandemic. The nanny state acts fast and acts early. In case of an emergency, for a new variant, Singapore has buses, where the driver compartment has separate aircon system from the passengers, created to move large numbers of well but infected persons.​
(d) The nanny state, called Singapore underestimated its potency and ability to spread — using older data of earlier variants (using a R0 of 2.5), the Government, using its super-computing clusters, were able to model the Corvid-19 spread via building air flows — but those old assumptions are proven wrong. Because of the mutations, it’s much, much more infectious at a R0 of between 5 to 8 (see the maths in prior post #863).​

If you know anyone running their own business in food, fitness, beauty, travel you will understand how they have been smashed.
8. From a business perspective, these cycles of lockdowns in America, Australia, Canada or Singapore is nuts. Currently, the Singapore government pays for all Covid-19 treatment and vaccines. If you account for the lifetime loss of income from paragrahs 9 and 10 below, to properly factor in the increase in deaths, hospitalisations and lower earning potential (from brain fog after recovery), the actual long term economic cost may be very much higher than expected. Singapore has a PM that is a maths genius — he has done the maths, it’s just not published.

9. Ask yourself: What percentage of the grandma and grandpa age group or nurses are you willing to kill off? Singapore has roving teams to vaccinate the home bound elderly and yet, we have about 200,000 at risk elderly not vaccinated, yet. It is likely that Delta will spread even if a country has high vaccination rates of above 75% (where we are now, based on projects rate of vaccination).

10. Ask yourself: What percentage of children with lower IQ do you want your country to have (due to long COVID)? Vaccines are not approved for 11 years and below, yet.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
NZ has announced the provisional approval of the Astra Zeneca vaccine for use in NZ. This brings to three the number of vaccines available for use, with the other two being the Pfizer vaccine which has full approval and the Janssen vaccine which has provisional approval. The current plan for the Astra Zeneca is in the first instance to send it to Fiji and the other Pacific Islands.

Covid 19 coronavirus: AstraZeneca vaccine approved for use in New Zealand
Covid 19 coronavirus: AstraZeneca vaccine approved for use in New Zealand - NZ Herald

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
NSW just announced. 239 daily new infections.. Highest ever.

There is a plan that all year 12 students are going back into classrooms in the next two weeks, however, almost no year 12's are vaccinated, and teachers were only added to the vaccination list a week or so ago. Even if they were vaccinated today, the vaccinations wouldn't be effective until 6 weeks after, and Delta easily over powers single shots. You need two shots spaced well apart to get decent protection.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
My work place, a very large employer with multiple sites in the LGAs, suggested you make a mask out of an old sock.
The lack of getting these high risk people vaccinate earlier spells of the chaos.

I feel they are moving too fast on this.. every week there are millions of vaccines, just hold out for 2 more weeks would make a huge difference.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
NSW just announced. 239 daily new infections.. Highest ever.

There is a plan that all year 12 students are going back into classrooms in the next two weeks, however, almost no year 12's are vaccinated, and teachers were only added to the vaccination list a week or so ago. Even if they were vaccinated today, the vaccinations wouldn't be effective until 6 weeks after, and Delta easily over powers single shots. You need two shots spaced well apart to get decent protection.
Who thought up that idiotic idea? That's asking for trouble and if that's an example of the thinking of the NSW government then no wonder they cannot control the outbreak. I cannot stand our PM however when it came to going hard and going early she made the right call. And with each lockdown since she's made the right call. That's about the only thing that she's got right, but it at least it is the important one that she has got right.

tonnyc

My work place, a very large employer with multiple sites in the LGAs, suggested you make a mask out of an old sock.
The lack of getting these high risk people vaccinate earlier spells of the chaos.

I feel they are moving too fast on this.. every week there are millions of vaccines, just hold out for 2 more weeks would make a huge difference.
Wait, WTF, a mask out of old sock? Does Australia just don't have enough masks or is your boss nuts?
The former is mindboggling because while N-95 mask is still hard to find, for the general population one does not need N-95 masks. A surgical mask layered with a common cloth mask on top suffice. The cloth mask should be water repellent with tight pores and socks aren't neither.
The other is mindboggling because while RWNJs love posturing, I always thought that businesses tend to be more pragmatic. If the employees get sick, business stops and you can't make money when business stops. Just provide the masks for free at the workplace and consider it cost of doing business.

EDIT: Okay, maybe I need to step back a bit. It's possible the suggestion is one of those trivial suggestion made by someone in HR in order to relate to the employees. Sorta like "look, we like arts and crafts too, like you." I'm just surprised that they don't just take the obvious and simple answer of providing masks to the employees at work. They're very cheap.

Last edited:

Bob53

I understand that your PM has made an announcement WRT Federal help for affected businesses.

Because of the health orders in place and the highly infectious nature of the Delta variant of COVID-19. That's why. If people cannot understand that then they should have a brain reboot.
There is not enough gold in Fort Knox to help many of these business. The country cannot afford to make payments for ever. We are running out of tax payers.

There wasCOVID lockdown orders in place during those marches last year also.