New Chinese 5th Generatio Aircraft

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Avic Promotes J-31 As An Export Fighter

This is a bit surprising if true, that the Chinese are not interested in acquiring the J-31 but will stick with the J-10 as a complement to the J-20. It makes one wonder why China would not want to field a pair of all-stealth 5Gen fighters ala F-22/F-35.
Its not so much about the aircraft capability per se - its about the relevance of that platform to their doctrine.

Today is not tomorrow

Avic Promotes J-31 As An Export Fighter

This is a bit surprising if true, that the Chinese are not interested in acquiring the J-31 but will stick with the J-10 as a complement to the J-20. It makes one wonder why China would not want to field a pair of all-stealth 5Gen fighters ala F-22/F-35.
I myself am a bit surprised as well, but the J-31 has been seen by some as an independant project by Shenyang, I do see them continuing to promote this aircraft as a naval follow on to the J-15, but throwing her up to export, they may be hoping to generate some funds for further prototyping and developement, and I firmly believe they will want to upgrade her to the WS-13 or some other domestic powerplant in order to take full advantage of her potential.

This also would be a competitor to the T-50 in the export market which could play well at home, if they find a "partner" to share developement and production costs IE the F-35 as well as the T-50 partnerships, Shenyang realizes that could be an important economic factor if they hope to get the J-31 into serial production. Cheers AFB

no such thing as "independant" weapons development on the mainland :)
Not in the true sense of the word of course, but the PLAAF doesn't seem to have an interest in the J-31, and while I believe the PLAN may, their is no "official" involvement by either that we know of? With AVIC putting it out for export, it does strike me as a little different approach for Shenyang? I guess I would love to know your opinion gf, who might be in the market?

dragonfire

Not in the true sense of the word of course, but the PLAAF doesn't seem to have an interest in the J-31, and while I believe the PLAN may, their is no "official" involvement by either that we know of? With AVIC putting it out for export, it does strike me as a little different approach for Shenyang? I guess I would love to know your opinion gf, who might be in the market?
My 2 cents

Basis speculation only

The J-31 and the J-20 will both operate in the PLAAF, once they mature ofcourse, the aircraft designs suggest a complementary role to each other because one looks like a heavy load strike platform and the other has a lot of Air Superiority features.

Even if a export option is considered for the J-31 the Chinese wouldnt be really be able to compete in the global market seriously if they dont use it themself. The level of independence of a Military development agency like Shenyang has already been articulated by GF a couple of posts back.

What would be interesting also to understand from Sages of the forum is the possibility of the J-31 becoming a carrier based fighter

Systems Adict

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Sure is amazing what Russian technology can do.......

After all the carrier WAS Russian & the J-17 is based on a Sukhoi SU-30 ??

SA

Wall83

Also they posted a video from the carrier.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9CDW4tlgOU&feature=player_embedded"]China's Jets Landed on Aircraft Carrier - YouTube[/nomedia]

mysterious

Whats more interesting is the fashion in which the J-15 lands on the carrier.. Clearly shows the Chinese are using the same technology as the Americans with the hook & pulley system to dramatically slow down the aircraft and bring it to a halt.. This surely must've raised some eyebrows in the States..

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought the tailhook + arrestor gear combination was standard for CATOBAR/STOBAR ( . . . .Arrested Recovery) operations, meaning it's hardly surprising as every other nation which uses those configurations use arrestor gear.

I didn't particularly expect the Chinese to reinvent the wheel when a solution already exists and is perfectly adequade, as per their usual MO. I'd actually would have been more surprised if they DIDN'T use the gear considering she was originally designed to have the gear fitted anyway, wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the Russians supplied the neccesary.

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly, however the Chinese went about it to see J-15 using arrestor gear on Liaoning for landing - to me - isn't particularly surprising and really should've been expected.

Comrade69

Banned Member
On a side note, I am not expert in stealth, but I did just notice from those pics that the J-15 has forward canards...dont those give away RCS every time the plane turns?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
On a side note, I am not expert in stealth, but I did just notice from those pics that the J-15 has forward canards...dont those give away RCS every time the plane turns?
Yes it has canards, just the same as the SU-33 that it's been copied from. The movement of the canards could impact RCS depending on the angle they're at and the location of an enemy radar, correct, but I'm guessing the Flanker's RCS already looks like a flying barn so it might be a secondary concern.

plasmafish

Yes it has canards, just the same as the SU-33 that it's been copied from. The movement of the canards could impact RCS depending on the angle they're at and the location of an enemy radar, correct, but I'm guessing the Flanker's RCS already looks like a flying barn so it might be a secondary concern.
It was copied from an purchased Ukrainian T-10K-3 prototype that DID NOT have canards.

tphuang

Super Moderator
Sure is amazing what Russian technology can do.......

After all the carrier WAS Russian & the J-17 is based on a Sukhoi SU-30 ??

SA
They rebuilt the entire inside of the carrier and did all of their installations on the island. You just need to see some of the videos from CCTV to see that. It's widely available online. Let's just say the revamped carrier has much better living conditions than the original design.

J-15 is based on Su-33.