Nagorniy Karabakh

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Feanor how impartial do you think the Russians will be? They did back the Armenians after all. I don't have any faith in Turkish impartiality because of Erdoğan and the historical enmity that the Turks have against Armenians. They still get really cranky when the Armenian Genocide is mentioned and Erdoğan really blows a fuse.
They've already been far more impartial then I would have thought. And Armenia itself appears to have been far less committed to this conflict then I would have thought. They could have poured far more troops and supplies into the NKR. They would have taken huge losses but would also have drastically slowed the Azeri advance, possibly changing the nature of the conflict. Of course Pashinyan, the current Armenian prime minister, is seen as pro-Western (as pro-Western as one can be in Armenia). Many have speculated that had a more loyal to Russia figure been in office, Armenia would have received far more support. Personally I'm not entirely convinced this is the case.

I really don't know what to expect. Russia and Turkey have butted heads multiple times, sometimes with considerable loss of life (thinking back to the losses Turkey took in Idlib last year). This entire situation seems highly precarious, and I don't see what protects the NKR from losing all independence 5 years down the line with a vague promise of autonomy, as Azerbaijan simply doesn't extend the current agreement. Unless of course Turkish influence drastically shrinks, and Aliev goes back to relying more heavily on Russia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Russian peacekeepers arrive in the NKR, with BTR-82A APCs, BMP-2 IFVs, Tigr and Lynx armored cars, trucks, and for some reason BM-21 Grad MLRS. The Grads are allegeldy from the 102nd Military Base, Russia's base in Armenia. The UAV teams mentioned earlier appear to be part of the Leer-3 Orlan-10 UAV setup.

The "road of death" near Shushi, where piles of Armenian corpses and destroyed vehicles still remain after the fighting. Warning extremely graphic footage.

A Turkish flag was seen near the entrance to Shushi, suggesting the presence of Turkish military personnel.

The former head of Armenia's state security agency was arrested for a plot to assassinate Pashinyan. Given that he's also a major opposition politician it's unclear whether the accusations are based on fact or a convenient excuse. 11 others were also arrested, all members of the political opposition, including 4 heads of opposition political parties. This comes as protests continue in Yerevan.

The process of exchanging bodies of the slain has begun.

The remains of an Armenian Elbrus SRBM launcher.

Footage of the final battle for Shushi from Anna news.

Armenian civilians are leaving regions to be handed over to Azerbaijan in droves, in some cases setting fire to their homes and belongings. I'm not convinced that this is the right move, given that this does the job of ethnic cleansing for Azerbaijan for them.

According to Armenia, Russia and Armenia have set up a no fly zone over the NKR.

Russian helos arriving in Yerevan to accompany Russian peacekeepers in the NKR.

swerve

Super Moderator
Russia does not occupy those states. It occupies two regions of Georgia, bordering Russia. Most of the country is free of Russian soldiers & hostile to Russia. Nor does it occupy Azerbaijan. It has troops stationed in a very small area of Azerbaijan, connecting Armenia & Nagorniy-Karabakh. It doesn't even occupy Armenia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
In this last war the big spotlight has been on UAS, but according to materials recently published in Azerbaijan, they flew 600 combat sorties with manned aircraft and even lost an Su-25 (something that apparently slipped by me).

JohnWolf

Azerbaijan certainly emerges as the strongest of the 3 Caucasus nations, but they were in the superior position. Their enclave has official standing and cannot be isolated thanks to Turkish (and possibly Iranian) involvement. The Armenian enclave was always a little fuzzy and totally surrounded by hostile territory. Without clear military superiority or full Russian sponsorship they never had a chance.

Russia may think of itself as a winner here, but Turkey lead by mad-man Edrogan will feel bolder now and probably be more difficult to deal with next time around.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Azerbaijan certainly emerges as the strongest of the 3 Caucasus nations, but they were in the superior position. Their enclave has official standing and cannot be isolated thanks to Turkish (and possibly Iranian) involvement. The Armenian enclave was always a little fuzzy and totally surrounded by hostile territory. Without clear military superiority or full Russian sponsorship they never had a chance.

Russia may think of itself as a winner here, but Turkey lead by mad-man Edrogan will feel bolder now and probably be more difficult to deal with next time around.
I understand that you are a newbie here but calling Erdoğan a madman devalues your response. Yes he's following a path self aaggrandisment and sees himself as Sultan Recep First of His Name, Sultan of the New Ottoman Empire. But it doesn't make him a madman. We could, if we so desired, label the current POTUS as a madman but we don't, and I could argue the reasons why, but I won't because it's counterproductive and against the rules because its politics.

Erdoğan is walking a tightrope between the EU, NATO, and Russia, which as time goes by will become more treacherous for him and he's bound to fall off it. But he has changed Turkey whether we like it or not and I think that he's broken the hold that the military has over the country. If he's succeeded in that and gradually moves Turkey from a secular state to a more religious state then Turkey will not revert back to the state that Ataturk formed and which survived until Erdoğan took over.

JohnWolf

I understand that you are a newbie here but calling Erdoğan a madman devalues your response. Yes he's following a path self aaggrandisment and sees himself as Sultan Recep First of His Name, Sultan of the New Ottoman Empire. But it doesn't make him a madman. We could, if we so desired, label the current POTUS as a madman but we don't, and I could argue the reasons why, but I won't because it's counterproductive and against the rules because its politics.

Erdoğan is walking a tightrope between the EU, NATO, and Russia, which as time goes by will become more treacherous for him and he's bound to fall off it. But he has changed Turkey whether we like it or not and I think that he's broken the hold that the military has over the country. If he's succeeded in that and gradually moves Turkey from a secular state to a more religious state then Turkey will not revert back to the state that Ataturk formed and which survived until Erdoğan took over.
Understood. I called him that for all of the above, and it sounds good when you say it aloud. That, and i have seen what he has allowed to be done to the memorials at Gallipoli ... which is unforgivable in my opinion.
But, point taken, and if this site is kept free of politics, that can only be a good thing!

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Understood. I called him that for all of the above, and it sounds good when you say it aloud. That, and i have seen what he has allowed to be done to the memorials at Gallipoli ... which is unforgivable in my opinion.
But, point taken, and if this site is kept free of politics, that can only be a good thing!
As a matter of interest what has he supposed to have done to what memorials at Gallipoli?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A Modern War Institute (West Point, US Army) discussion on the Battle of Shusha during the 2020 Nagorno Karabakh War. The successful Azerbaijani capture of the city forced the Armenian acceptance of rather unfavourable terms. The paper discusses some of the history of the city's changes of ownership over the centuries, the reasons for the Azerbaijani success, and the learnings from it. It's early days yet and not all learnings have been identified.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Modern War Institute (West Point, US Army) discussion on the Battle of Shusha during the 2020 Nagorno Karabakh War. The successful Azerbaijani capture of the city forced the Armenian acceptance of rather unfavourable terms. The paper discusses some of the history of the city's changes of ownership over the centuries, the reasons for the Azerbaijani success, and the learnings from it. It's early days yet and not all learnings have been identified.

A city as a strategic and tactical objective to be taken under fire from defenders equipped with armour — not an easy fight but this was planned.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is another flare-up, this time on the Armenian border proper. Armenia has requested Russian military aid per bilateral agreements. It's currently unclear who started this particular round of fighting, both sides are blaming the other. However it's important to note that Armenia is definitely the weaker side and without Russian aid, they will likely suffer greater losses, and even lose ground. On the flip side Armenia is a CSTO member, in addition to their 1997 bilateral agreements with Russia, and an actual Azeri attack on Armenia itself could trigger serious consequences.

On the flip side Russia is in the uncomfortable position of having to potentially go to war with Azerbaijan with almost nothing to gain. Direct confrontation with Russia would push Azerbaijan deeper into Turkish orbit, and is potentially risky, as Azerbaijan has not only shown itself capable of using relatively sophisticated modern UAS to defeat traditional military formations, but also has direct support from Turkey.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fighting has stopped (according to Armenia) after phone negotiations between Armenia and Azerbaijan with Russian mediation. The details of the situation remain murky.

For losses so far the Armenian side has lost 12 as prisoners, and an abandoned truck. There is certainly more that isn't being disclosed.

Azerbaijan allegedly lost a small number of vehicles, though the claims are Armenian and the footage is hard to make out.

There is also a video of Azeri artillery firing.

And apparently Turkish UAVs were spotted active nearby.

We currently have two narratives of this, one from the Azeri side claims a provocation by Armenian forces that entered Azerbaijan territory, the other from the Armenian side claims an attack by Azeri forces. The facts as is are inconclusive.

EDIT Oryx blog has done a summary for us too. Armenian side admits 12 POVs, 1 KIA, and claims Azerbaijan has occupied 41 sq. kms of Armenia proper in the past 6 months. No word on POVs or KIAs from the Azeri side, but they appear to have lost 4 vehicles, including an armored car, 2 unknown vehicles, and a truck. The Armenian side lost just the truck, abandoned. The Azeri side claims Armenian forces attacked across the border but were surrounded and captured.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Just add English version from Western media. Looking toward Azerbaijan-Turkish media and online sites (which off course blame it on Armenian), the issue of corridor between Armenian Proper and what's left of Armenian control Nagorno Karabach seems getting some issue.

Seems Azerbaijan side think the Armenian still not come on their bargain side. If I'm reading right (after all I use Google translate), that corridor should be reciprocate with Armenian open corridor between Armenian Proper and their enclave Nakhchivan.

Something that I do think Armenian will be hard to do considering it can cut them off from Iran. The one neighbor that symphetises with them.

Well if that the case, this shown the dispute is still not finish, and both of them only in 'injury' time, before next round.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Just add English version from Western media. Looking toward Azerbaijan-Turkish media and online sites (which off course blame it on Armenian), the issue of corridor between Armenian Proper and what's left of Armenian control Nagorno Karabach seems getting some issue.

Seems Azerbaijan side think the Armenian still not come on their bargain side. If I'm reading right (after all I use Google translate), that corridor should be reciprocate with Armenian open corridor between Armenian Proper and their enclave Nakhchivan.

Something that I do think Armenian will be hard to do considering it can cut them off from Iran. The one neighbor that symphetises with them.

Well if that the case, this shown the dispute is still not finish, and both of them only in 'injury' time, before next round.
That is a part of the issue, and Armenia did undertake to provide a transport corridor to Nakhichevan' as a condition of the current arrangement. It's also one of the few areas of leverage Armenia can have on Azerbaijan to get a compromise on the NKR in a few years when the current agreement is up so I'm not sure why Armenia would sabotage themselves like this.