Nagorniy Karabakh

Hone C

No, they have to be lawful combatants of a sovereign state. Any one can wear a uniform. That doesn't make them a lawful combatant. If you use your argument that legitimises most terrorist groups.
Lawful combatants include irregular forces, as long as they are under responsible command, carry their arms openly and otherwise distinguish themselves from the civilian population.

They are entitled to Prisioner of War status, even if "that Party [to the conflict] is represented by a government or authority not recognised by an adverse Party"

Additional Protocol to the Geneva Convention (Protocol I) 1977. Part III, Section II, Article 43.

Beholder

No, they have to be lawful combatants of a sovereign state. Any one can wear a uniform. That doesn't make them a lawful combatant. If you use your argument that legitimises most terrorist groups.
Trust me, you'll never confuse normal lawful combatant with terrorists. Moreover in practice lawful combatant can commit war crimes, and use them to terrorize population on newly conquered territory(which in effect terrorism). Lawful and good is not the same.
Another thing, even for unlawful combatant, as long as he is prisoner and not threat, he has basic human right, including that of trial.
You also need to understand why there is need to distinction lawful/unlawful at all, basically it is to encourage what we consider lawful warfare, which in turn type of warfare that least endanger non combatants.
While it seems connected to question of terrorism, in fact not so much. You can have unlawful combatant in otherwise lawful armed force and sometimes even vice versa(requires very specific turn of events).

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
“Responsible command”, I am guessing there would serious disagreement as to what this is amongst warring parties. I often wonder if wars with rules might be incentive to actually take a chance on waging a war of aggression.

Beholder

Nope, actually starting war has nothing to do with Geneva convention and everything to do with article 51 of UN charter. Precisely because no one want to mix this issues.

P.S. Come to think of it, this issue is actually good vs bad issue. Self defence good, aggression bad.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trust me, you'll never confuse normal lawful combatant with terrorists.
It gets tricky. For example in eastern Ukraine the Ukrainian government refers to all the enemy fighters as "terrorists" or sometimes "Russian terrorist-occupation forces". Which, aside from being a mouthful, is a hilarious conflation of whether they are lawful combatants or not. And they definitely wear uniforms, have a recognized rank structure, and wage war in ways similar to a relatively backward but entirely conventional military. What happens if Azerbaijan follows suit and declares all NKR fighters as terrorists? Are they still entitled to POW status then?

Beholder

It gets tricky. For example in eastern Ukraine the Ukrainian government refers to all the enemy fighters as "terrorists" or sometimes "Russian terrorist-occupation forces". Which, aside from being a mouthful, is a hilarious conflation of whether they are lawful combatants or not. And they definitely wear uniforms, have a recognized rank structure, and wage war in ways similar to a relatively backward but entirely conventional military. What happens if Azerbaijan follows suit and declares all NKR fighters as terrorists? Are they still entitled to POW status then?
It doesn't get tricky at all. They are lawful combatants and entitled to POW status. Not to mention fair trial in any case.
You see if you want to declare someone unlawful combatant in the first place you need to do trial. Basically it's something that needs to be proved in court, not social media.

P.S. Mercenaries also unlawful, so for example foreign state not officially engaged in hostilities sending forces under disguise is a tricky question.
On the other hand terrorist(member of terrorist organisation) participating in war as lawful combatant still lawful combatant and entitled to POW status, you can still do separate trial for terrorism(same way for war crimes).
Bottom line no law ever allow executions of prisoners without trial.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't get tricky at all. They are lawful combatants and entitled to POW status. Not to mention fair trial in any case.
You see if you want to declare someone unlawful combatant in the first place you need to do trial. Basically it's something that needs to be proved in court, not social media.

P.S. Mercenaries also unlawful, so for example foreign state not officially engaged in hostilities sending forces under disguise is a tricky question.
On the other hand terrorist(member of terrorist organisation) participating in war as lawful combatant still lawful combatant and entitled to POW status, you can still do separate trial for terrorism(same way for war crimes).
Bottom line no law ever allow executions of prisoners without trial.
Armenia would be a foreign state and whether they're officially involved in the hostilities is questionable since Azerbaijan didn't declare war on them, and the fighting is taking place mostly (with rare exceptions) inside internationally recognized Azeri territory. Keep in mind, not even Armenia recognizes Artsakh/NKR as an independent state.

EDIT: On the subject of mercenaries, would the Syrian fighters being sent to Azerbaijan, and paid to fight, qualify?

Last edited:

Beholder

Armenia would be a foreign state and whether they're officially involved in the hostilities is questionable since Azerbaijan didn't declare war on them, and the fighting is taking place mostly (with rare exceptions) inside internationally recognized Azeri territory. Keep in mind, not even Armenia recognizes Artsakh/NKR as an independent state.
Recognition not that matter, but no official Armenian involvement in war is.
Let's say you have armenian national in NKR army and he is taken as prisoner. It is precisely tricky question.

EDIT: On the subject of mercenaries, would the Syrian fighters being sent to Azerbaijan, and paid to fight, qualify?
Yes i think.
Art 47. Mercenaries
1. A mercenary shall not have the right to be a combatant or a prisoner of war.
2. A mercenary is any person who:
(a) is especially recruited locally or abroad in order to fight in an armed conflict;
(b) does, in fact, take a direct part in the hostilities;
(c) is motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a Party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party;
(d) is neither a national of a Party to the conflict nor a resident of territory controlled by a Party to the conflict;
(e) is not a member of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict; and
(f) has not been sent by a State which is not a Party to the conflict on official duty as a member of its armed forces.

All the criteria (a – f) must be met, according to the Geneva Convention, for a combatant to be described as a mercenary.

@Beholder Sources please. This is a requirement of the rules and protects both you and the forum from accusations of plagiarism. Rule #14 applies.

NNgatimozart.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Hone C

How valid and reliable is this source? Not much appears to be published about it's origins, owners etc., that's all. Maybe @Feanor or @OPSSG might know of it.
Never heard of the source myself, but the figures seemed reliable enough for RUSI to link to it in a recent article.

Some interesting discussion going on into the use of loitering munitions and the proliferation of sensors, and potential implications for Western forces. Specifically, deficencies in tactical UAVs, EW and GBAD platforms, and how combined arms, ISTAR, EMCOM, etc. is conducted going forward.

Beholder

Never heard of the source myself, but the figures seemed reliable enough for RUSI to link to it in a recent article.

Some interesting discussion going on into the use of loitering munitions and the proliferation of sensors, and potential implications for Western forces. Specifically, deficencies in tactical UAVs, EW and GBAD platforms, and how combined arms, ISTAR, EMCOM, etc. is conducted going forward.
Well, i read it.
Where is western aviation? Any IRR missile will down any MALE UAV, lighter UAV either can't hold kinetic payload, or are loitering munition themselves.

The lessons are far reaching. Heavy formations must likely disperse to avoid being engaged by area-of-effect munitions at reach.
This makes protecting them from UAVs and air attack more challenging, requiring the integration of short-ranged air defences (SHORAD) across tactical units, along with EW – specifically electronic attack – capabilities.
This is not necessarily true(for the sake of argument i actually think it's totally not true for Israel or US, or NATO, bcs only adversary that holds full range of capabilities is China and US do know how to counter it).

For example Drone Dome of Rafael(UK have it too) can protect against loitering munitions, while some other systems against area-of-effect munitions. If MALE UAV or Heli don't come, then we can stay together and there is no need to disperse, if we use some IADS in area or SHORAD to counter area-of-effect munitions.

NATO itself have full range of UAVs including loitering munitions, so maybe you can use it to better effect, for example to destroy area-of-effect threats etc.
What i want to say is sometimes offence is the best defence. Armenia had no choice, it's different for western military.
When we talk about peer power that have full range of UAVs it's only China i think, and the best bet is probably fight for and get aerial superiority before thinking about heavy formation in attack. IMO

@Beholder JUST BECAUSE YOU READ IT DOESN'T MAKE IT GOSPEL. WE ARE A PROFESSIONALLY RUN DEFENCE FORUM AND WE HAVE DEFENCE PROFESSIONALS ON HERE WHO ARE EXPERTS IN THEIR VARIOUS FIELDS. DIAL BACK THE ATTITUDE OR THE MODERATORS WILL BE DISCUSSING YOUR FUTURE ON HERE.

Does my english so bad?o_O
I read the article "The Key to Armenia’s Tank Losses: The Sensors, Not the Shooters" @Hone C posted and answered to it.

YOU HAVE ALSO BEEN ASKED TO SUPPLY CREDENTIALS TO BACK UP YOUR CLAIMS OF BACKGROUND IN THE RADIO TECHNOLOGY FIELD. YOU HAVE NOT YET AND HAVE UNTIL 12PM UTC (GMT) WEDNESDAY 21ST OCTOBER 2020 TO PROVIDE SUCH EVIDENCE TO ONE OF THE MODERATORS. BE ADVISED THAT WE DO HAVE THE CAPABILITIES OF CHECKING THE VALIDITY OF SUCH EVIDENCE THAT IS PROVIDED. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN THE MODERATORS DISCUSSING THE FUTURE OF YOUR CONTINUED PRESENCE ON THIS FORUM.

NGATIMOZART

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
How valid and reliable is this source? Not much appears to be published about it's origins, owners etc., that's all. Maybe @Feanor or @OPSSG might know of it.
Oryx blog is usually a decent osint source. He certainly takes a point of view and his coverage in the past has been one sided at times, but I would consider his numbers in this case relatively reliable. As reliable as they can be, really, given the uncertainty and the active attempts at misinformation by both sides.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Oryx blog is usually a decent osint source. He certainly takes a point of view and his coverage in the past has been one sided at times, but I would consider his numbers in this case relatively reliable. As reliable as they can be, really, given the uncertainty and the active attempts at misinformation by both sides.
Thanks @Feanor I will add the blog to my list of sources to follow.

@Beholder this is how we all learn and regarding your comment about you reading the RUSI link that Hone C provided it would've have been much simpler if you had clearly stated so. It just saves a lot of confusion.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Despite the declaration of a second ceasefire, Azerbaijan has continued the offensive in the south. After what appears to be a failed Armenian counter-attack, Azeri forces have penetrated deep into the NKR and are approaching the Armenian border. They've even reached the Khudaferin dam, and captured the town of Fizuli, taking some trophies. It seems like the Armenian front line in the south has collapsed. They're losing ground fast, and if this offensive continues, the successful defense in the center and the north won't save them, as the path to Stepanakert will be open.

If you check the first link you can see a map that reflects the terrain and it becomes obvious why this has worked, the area is lower hills rather then higher mountains, making it easier to advance, and harder to defend.

Some random combat footage including the usual assortment of UAV strikes and artillery exchanges.

We have the first downing of a Bayraktar TB2 UAV by Armenian/NKR forces. It's possible that large UAVs like that will make for far easier targets then large quantities of loitering munitions.

It appears that at least some Azeri An-2s are being used as unmanned bombers, carrying 4 250kg bombs.

There's also evidence of Kargu strike quadcopters being used by Azerbaijan.

Photo of a mannequin set up at an Armenian position, presumably meant to trick UAV operators.

Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of attempting to strike the Baku-Novorossiysk oil pipeline. Personally I can't help but wonder why they haven't taken at least one pipeline out yet. Is it the poor accuracy of available systems? An Iskander should be able to do it. Worst comes to worst, fire more rockets. Is Russia keeping Armenia from doing this?

There are also more reports of Gyandzha getting hit by BMs, and possible Minchegaur again.

Some footage of destroyed Armenian BM TELs.

There's also unconfirmed use of Smerch with self-targetting submunitions (SPBE).

Armenia has confirmed losing 728 KIA in the current war. Those are hefty casualties, when you consider how many must be wounded.

Some photos of NKR soldiers.

Weapons allegedly captured by NKR forces.

Russian sources (kommersant.ru) claim that there are as many as 600 Turkish service members in Azerbaijan, with armored vehicles, combat helos, and F-16s.

8 shells from the war landed in Iran, wounding one person. Iran has threatened both sides with consequences.

Pashinyan and Aliev are potentially meeting in Moscow for joint negotiations, with Putin serving as an intermediary.

This comes as Aliev has accused Russia of smuggling weapons into Armenia.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

An updated map of the conflict in the first link. It appears that Azerbaijan has full control of the NKR-Iranian border. Armenian forces have raised Russian and Armenian flags on the border. Armenia attempted another counter-attack at Zangelan but like their earlier attempted counter-attack it has failed. It seems Armenian forces are having a hard time concentrating armor and artillery for a counter-attack, due to Azeri use of UAVs. Azeri forces are now advancing towards Lachin. The Lachin corridor, and town of Lachin, contain the road from Stepanakert to Armenia. Cutting this corridor would place all Armenian/NKR forces at risk of encirclement and would put the entirety of the NKR at risk.

In at least one case Azeri and Turkish flags were raised together over a captured point in the NKR.

Some combat footage of Armenian soldiers. Warning, videos contain images of dead bodies.

An Azeri Sand Cat armored car hit by an ATGM.

Footage of an Armenian OSA position, and Azeri Danas.

Footage of an Armenian MANPADS team.

Armenian D-1 howitzers (straight out of 1943).

Two destroyed Armenian BMP-2s and a rare case of an Armenian T-72 destroyed in it's dug in position (second link). Most Armenian tanks until now were hit in the open. The third link has an Armenian ATGM carrier captured.

Azeri forces using an Israeli CARDOM mortar.

An Azeri MRAP hit a land mine, it's possible this is more footage of the same.

Typical collection of UAV and artillery work. Interesting details, D-44s are in action, and an S-300 radar was hit.

Armenia claims a second Bayraktar TB2 downed.

Some Armenian weapons captured by Azerbaijan. Note the rare wheeled-carriage recoil-less rifle.

Armenian munitions captured by Azerbaijan in Fizuli.

Azeri BMP-2 and BTR-82A captured by Armenian forces.

An Azeri company, Iti Qovan has begun license production of recon UAVs and loitering munitions. Personally I suspect it's less manufacturing and more assembly from kits, but of course I could be wrong.

An updated vehicle losses summary.

Highlights, for the Armenians;141 tanks, all T-72s. 19 MT-LBs, 1 BTR-70, and a few unknown. 35 BMPs, 1s and 2s. 50 towed guns of various types. 8 2S1s, 4 2S3 SP howitzers. 5 various MLRS. 20 SAMs, and 9 separate radars. 300+ trucks.

Highlights, for the Azeris; 21 T-72s, 2 T-90s. 17 BMPs 1, 2, 3. 5 BTR-82A. 8 An-2s, 17 UAVs, 14 trucks.

Footage of damage to Stepanakert.

Footage of Armenian and Russian combat aircraft in Armenia, in their entirety, apparently.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The war is clearly going very badly for Armenia. The fate of the NKR hangs by a thread. Unless something changes drastically, or unless the Azeri offensive has already run out of steam, the Lachin corridor is seriously threatened. If it's cut, I suspect Armenia won't be able to hold the rest of the NKR. And it seems like Armenia can't concentrate the necessary forces for an actual counter-offensive. Two attempts have failed now, the first near Dzhebrail, where an Armenian tank btln took major losses from UAV strikes before even being able to get to the front, and another at Zangelan (it's still fuzzy what took place exactly, but Armenia attempted a counter-assault of some sort that met with enough initial success for them to claim encirclement, only then to lose ground). It was likely that Azerbaijan would run low on loitering munitions eventually except it seems likely that additional systems are being delivered as we speak from Turkey and Israel. Many questions remain including - where are those Armenian Tor-M2s that they got? - why aren't the Iskanders being used? - why aren't Armenian rocket-missile strikes targeting pipelines? (don't get me wrong we have some half-hearted shots at the Minchegaur hydro-plant, and a couple of pipelines, but they seem more symbolic then actual, I'm having a hard time believing that Armenia physically can't strike those pipes).

There is a theory floating around that Pashinyan, the current Armenian prime minister, has ties to the west and doesn't actually want to defend the NKR, since the NKR and the conflict with Azerbaijan ties Armenia to Russia. But personally I'm doubtful. There is also a theory floating around that Russia sold Armenia/NKR downriver in exchanges for some gains elsewhere, with Turkey. But first off no other major shifts have emerged to support this (unless you count the recent evacuation of some Turkish LP/OPs in Syria) and second off, again, I'm doubtful. I honestly don't have a good explanation for why this is going the way it is.

EDIT: Aliev has announced complete control of the NKR-Iranian border.

Last edited:

SolarWind

The war is clearly going very badly for Armenia. The fate of the NKR hangs by a thread. Unless something changes drastically, or unless the Azeri offensive has already run out of steam, the Lachin corridor is seriously threatened. If it's cut, I suspect Armenia won't be able to hold the rest of the NKR. And it seems like Armenia can't concentrate the necessary forces for an actual counter-offensive. Two attempts have failed now, the first near Dzhebrail, where an Armenian tank btln took major losses from UAV strikes before even being able to get to the front, and another at Zangelan (it's still fuzzy what took place exactly, but Armenia attempted a counter-assault of some sort that met with enough initial success for them to claim encirclement, only then to lose ground). It was likely that Azerbaijan would run low on loitering munitions eventually except it seems likely that additional systems are being delivered as we speak from Turkey and Israel. Many questions remain including - where are those Armenian Tor-M2s that they got? - why aren't the Iskanders being used? - why aren't Armenian rocket-missile strikes targeting pipelines? (don't get me wrong we have some half-hearted shots at the Minchegaur hydro-plant, and a couple of pipelines, but they seem more symbolic then actual, I'm having a hard time believing that Armenia physically can't strike those pipes).

There is a theory floating around that Pashinyan, the current Armenian prime minister, has ties to the west and doesn't actually want to defend the NKR, since the NKR and the conflict with Azerbaijan ties Armenia to Russia. But personally I'm doubtful. There is also a theory floating around that Russia sold Armenia/NKR downriver in exchanges for some gains elsewhere, with Turkey. But first off no other major shifts have emerged to support this (unless you count the recent evacuation of some Turkish LP/OPs in Syria) and second off, again, I'm doubtful. I honestly don't have a good explanation for why this is going the way it is.

EDIT: Aliev has announced complete control of the NKR-Iranian border.

I saw some reports that Azerbaijani S-300 PMU's intercepted missiles launched by Armenia at Azerbaijani oil or gas pipelines. Maybe Armenia does not have enough ballistic missiles to overwhelm Azerbaijani missile defenses. If they did, would they not have taken them out by now? And then there is Turkey that can elect to defend Azerbaijan from Armenia, as de-jure Armenia is separate state from NK. And what exactly are the terms of regional alliance that involves Russia and Armenia? I strongly suspect it is a defensive alliance and would not require Russia to defend Armenia if it was an aggressor.

Edit: The theories that Russia has sold Armenia downriver might have some truth to them, Russia can definitely put NK and Armenia on negotiating table with Turkey. And Turkey can put recognition of Crimea on that same table in addition to multitude of their other joint businesses in the ME and North Africa. I also lean toward thinking that Armenia's position before Russia is somehow weakened after their recent "orange" revolution that removed from power the leaders that Russia had actually made the treaties with, also possibly voiding any unwritten/personal guarantees Russia might have had provided.

Last edited: