Modern Military of Vietnam

Triumf

In the near future I don't think Vietnam and China are going to be at large scale war in mainland. But Vietnam's main concern with regards to China are clashes errupting over the disputed Sratleys.

mk25

Vietnam Air defense (belong to Air and Air Defense force Command) equipments by 28 Feb 2011:
- 2 S-300PMU1 SAM systems with 12 launchers and 72 missiles.
- 24 Pechora-2M SAM systems with 72 to 96 launchers and about 1500 missiles.
- 24 Volga-M SAM systems with 96 to 144 launchers and about 1000 missiles.
- 12 Strela-10M3 launchers and 200 missiles.
- 30 Strela-2M manportable launchers and 200 missiles
- 20 Igla-S manportable launchers and 200 missiles.
- 54 ZSU-23-4M SPAAA
- 100+ 37mm AAA
- 100+ 57mm AAA
do you have any credible source(s) for this information?

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree on all points Feanor, I wasn't really thinking about tiny air forces in my response, but really just the specific example of Singapore and air forces of similar size and capabilities.

Apologies for the hasty/incomplete responses, at work. :)

mk25

The fact that B-2 and F-22 have never been exported is a testimony that these aircrafts are not going to be picked up by radars at "hundreds of kilometers" away:D

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that B-2 and F-22 have never been exported is a testimony that these aircrafts are not going to be picked up by radars at "hundreds of kilometers" away:D
Hardly. I think you have the causality reversed. The MiG-31 was never exported either, however it very well could be detected by radar from hundreds of kilometers away.

Rather because these are high-end VLO assets they were never exported.

mk25

Rather because these are high-end VLO assets they were never exported.
That's what I meant in my previous post. It's just pure fantasy that there is any radar that can detect stealth aircrafts at hundreds of kilometers away; may be tens of kilometers is more realistic.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nominally: Kasachstan, 1993. In exchange for their leftover fleet of nuclear bombers.
I dare say the redistribution of the former Soviet military assets within the FSU is hardly weapon export.

STURM

For example, our Nebo-UE/SV, Kolchuga-M, Vostock-E systems can detect stealth aircrafts from hundred kilometers, it is enough time for readiness of the air defense.
Not sure what the Nebo-UE/SV and Vostock-E is but the Kolchuga-M like other passive alerting systems detect aircraft by their data links, TACAN, etc. Vietnam has the Kolchuga-M?

The Strela-10s for example are mobile point-GBAD typically used to defend tank or motor-rifle units from CAS and interdiction. They could (though this isn't their normal purpose) be used as point air defense for the S-300s. They could also be (rather ineffectively, without additional assets) used as point-defense for important installations. Same with the Shilkas.
Sorry for getting off-topic but do the Russians have a passive early warning device for MANPADS like the British ADAD which is used with the Starstreak?

Another Russian air defence related question. With the twin Dijigit launcher, is it standard Russian practice to silmutaneously fire both Igla's to maximise the probabilty of a kill?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for getting off-topic but do the Russians have a passive early warning device for MANPADS like the British ADAD which is used with the Starstreak?
I don't know.

Another Russian air defence related question. With the twin Dijigit launcher, is it standard Russian practice to silmutaneously fire both Igla's to maximise the probabilty of a kill?
The Djigit launcher is not in actual service, to the best of my knowledge.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Most people put the number of F16 at around 70.

And this being 2011, have we received our full complement of 24 F15?

And if Wiki is to be believed, we have over 40 upgraded F5's.

Which puts the number at over 120 combat aircrafts.

VNcitizen

That's right, we should not compare between Vietnam and orther countries. Each nation has its own advantages and disadvantages, every comparation is limping :p: We take part in this topic to discuss and to show you some infomations about Vietnamese military and the process in modernizing our army, not to raise tension

One thing every Vietnamese has to accept is that our military is out of date, especially in air force and naval.:splat. That is why Vietnam has spent more money to upgrade them.

Some members here may be new in this forum :cool:, but some are in military :D. By the way, Triumf, what about Ground Force and Naval :finger

SASWanabe

That's what I meant in my previous post. It's just pure fantasy that there is any radar that can detect stealth aircrafts at hundreds of kilometers away; may be tens of kilometers is more realistic.
how about thousands? there are rumors that JORN has detected B-2s operating out of Whiteman, F-117s, and F-22s operating from Japan.

ccv

Please check the defence buget of US and Vietnam in Vietnam war. It is not simple in number.
1. Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21
Performance

* Maximum speed: 2,125 km/h (1,385 mph)
* Maximum speed: Mach 2.05
* Range: 1,580 km (981 miles)
* Service ceiling: 19,000 m (62,335 ft)
2. General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon
Performance

* Maximum speed:
o At sea level: Mach 1.2 (915 mph, 1,470 km/h)[44][103]
o At altitude: Mach 2+[103] (1,500 mph, 2,410 km/h[2]) clean configuration
* Combat radius: 340 mi (295 nm, 550 km) on a hi-lo-hi mission with six 1,000 lb (450 kg) bombs
* Ferry range: 2,280 NM (2,620 mi, 4,220 km) with drop tanks
* Service ceiling: 60,000+ ft (18,000+ m)
* Rate of climb: 50,000 ft/min (254 m/s)
* Wing loading: 88.3 lb/ft² (431 kg/m²)
* Thrust/weight: 1.095
3. Sukhoi Su-27
Performance

* Maximum speed: Mach 2.35 (2,500 km/h, 1,550 mph) at altitude
* Range: 3,530 km (2,070 mi) at altitude; (1,340 km / 800 mi at sea level)
* Service ceiling: 18,500 m (62,523 ft)
* Rate of climb: 300 m/s[37] (54,000 ft/min)
* Wing loading: 371 kg/m² (76 lb/ft²)
* Thrust/weight: 1.09
4. McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle
Performance

* Maximum speed:
o High altitude: Mach 2.5+ (1,650+ mph, 2,660+ km/h)
o Low altitude: Mach 1.2 (900 mph, 1,450 km/h)
* Combat radius: 1,061 nmi (1,222 mi, 1,967 km) for interdiction mission
* Ferry range: 3,450 mi (3,000 nmi, 5,550 km) with conformal fuel tanks and three external fuel tanks
* Service ceiling: 65,000 ft (20,000 m)
* Rate of climb: >50,000 ft/min (254 m/s)
* Wing loading: 73.1 lb/ft² (358 kg/m²)
* Thrust/weight: 1.12 (-220)

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The statement is that the first submarine will be handed over in 2012, and that talks are underway about building two more. No contracts are mentioned, which leads me to assume that the subs in question are part of the contract already signed.

Triumf

The statement is that the first submarine will be handed over in 2012, and that talks are underway about building two more. No contracts are mentioned, which leads me to assume that the subs in question are part of the contract already signed.
The first Kilo-636MV submarine will be handed over in 2013 not earlier. The last 2 of 6 total subs are Amur-1650 not Kilo-636MV.