Modern Military of Vietnam

surpreme

That's right, we should not compare between Vietnam and orther countries. Each nation has its own advantages and disadvantages, every comparation is limping :p: We take part in this topic to discuss and to show you some infomations about Vietnamese military and the process in modernizing our army, not to raise tension

One thing every Vietnamese has to accept is that our military is out of date, especially in air force and naval.:splat. That is why Vietnam has spent more money to upgrade them.

Some members here may be new in this forum :cool:, but some are in military :D. By the way, Triumf, what about Ground Force and Naval :finger
Yes that is true the Vietnamese are trying upgrade there Air Force. Someone on the post stated that it not easy to modernize a Air Force which is so true. You have do alot studying to understand what you need first. Some how you have to get the funds to purchase this hardware so it not easy to do these days. Today battlefield it is much different than the 60's and 70's.

superjake

Teens can benefit greatly from the type of focus and self-confidence that military training can provide for them. While military schools might not be the best choice for them, having the chance to go through a military regiment and receive the type of guidance and forceful leadership they provide can make a huge difference in keeping them from making poor decisions that could undermine their ability.

FOXHOUND31

Does anyone here knows where the Vietnamese Air Force's 937 Fighter Regiment is based

Hello all !

Does anyone here knows where the Vietnamese Air Force's 937 Fighter Regiment is based? The VNAF's 935 FR is based at Bien Hoa...And about the 937FR, where it is based?

Thank you very much in advance for any response...;)

Twinblade

India and USA to protect Vietnam from China ????!!!

Vietnam is not alone in a festering territorial dispute with China. In the near future Indian warships will arrive into the South China Sea. This is a group of destroyers CMD (controlled missile defense).

But there is more to it: at the end of June there were reports from New Delhi that the Indian Navy intends to settle in the South China Sea for a long time. The Indian side is expected to establish a permanent military presence there.

According to the official government version of India, this will help the Navy of India to play a more prominent role in South-East Asia where strategic shipping lines are located.
Since December of 2007 the influential American officials, including the chief of the CIA, have been paying regular visits to Vietnam. In the face of rising threats from the Chinese, the parties are demonstrating their intent to forget past grievances. This once again emphasizes that despite the anticipated military demonstrations in India the U.S. warships will arrive to the Vietnamese coast in the near future.
either this promises to be an asian version of cuban missile crisis or the author is on some really strong medication.

VNcitizen

Hello all !

Does anyone here knows where the Vietnamese Air Force's 937 Fighter Regiment is based? The VNAF's 935 FR is based at Bien Hoa...And about the 937FR, where it is based?

Thank you very much in advance for any response...;)
937 Fighter Regiment, also called C37 regiment is based on Thành Sơn airbase, Phan Rang - Tháp Chàm city, Ninh Thuận Province

FOXHOUND31

937 Fighter Regiment, also called C37 regiment is based on Thành Sơn airbase, Phan Rang - Tháp Chàm city, Ninh Thuận Province
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, VNCITIZEN !!!! I am about to write an article on the Vietnamese Flankers which will published soon...Would you have any pic of them taken by you? If so and you are willing to share any with me all the due credit will be given....

VNcitizen

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, VNCITIZEN !!!! I am about to write an article on the Vietnamese Flankers which will published soon...Would you have any pic of them taken by you? If so and you are willing to share any with me all the due credit will be given....
Yeah, I have quite many pics of VPA, but how I send those pics to you??

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can attach them to your posts here at defencetalk, or upload them to the picture gallery here.

FOXHOUND31

Yeah, I have quite many pics of VPA, but how I send those pics to you??
VNcitizen, you can send me a private message with your email. Thus, you will be able to send me the Vietnamese Air Force pics you have and I will have a great pleasure in sending my latest article to you. Do you agree?

Thank you again in advance...

FOXHOUND31

Or, alternatively, you could uploading them to a file sharing website and then tell me the password to the pics via a private message. What do you prefer? I need your response as soon as you can, ok?

trendnex

Vietnam upgraded Pechora-2M Air defence system

Vietnam sign contract with Tetraedr upgrade package over 30 combinations of the S-125 air defense missile "Pechora-M" to the standard S-125-2TM Pechora-2TM.

Tetraedr development is the combination medium-range air defense missiles S-125-2TM.Tetraedr was founded April 26, 2001 in the capital, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.

S-125-2TM Pechora-2TM will be equipped with at least 10 air defense missile regiments (the 8th regiment using Pechora-2M includes regiment 213, 250, 257, 274, 276, 282, 284 and regiment 285). In October 2010, the vehicles and components to upgrade the S-125 "Pechora-M" in first phase of this contract was transport to Noi Bai airport.

After a period of upgrade Pechora-2TM in A31 Factory, Department of Engineering, Air Defense-Air Force, 152 Battalion of the 250 Missile Regiment was the first unit receives the weaponry refurbished. From 26 to 28 March 2011, the Battalion 152 and Tetraedr experts, A31 Factory and Technical Department of the Air Force and Air Defense shot test at TB1 ammunition. During shoot, 152 battalions have used the equipment of S-125-2TM fired a total of six missiles (1 missiles on 26/03/2011 and 5 missiles on 28/3/2011) kill the six target aircraft, results killing 100%.

The second units to receive the S-125-2TM is the 122 Battalion of the Regiment 284. During live firing drills from 1 to 5 December 2011 at TB1, Battalion 122 with technical experts Tetraedr have conducted successful test shot of S-125-2TM with the performance of the equipment of 152 Battalion.

In the process of modernization, the basic parts to be replaced, equipped with photovoltaic systems "day - night" and defensive radio techniques to deal with anti-radar missiles. two missile mounted on truck chassis produce by the Minsk factory.

yoyohunter

We aren't weak! We are sure outnumbered but still very deadly! We only bought things that can deactivated our enemy at once (Ex: china have aircrafr carrier, we have kilo sub and Su30 that can sink it in no time, either it will be supported or not ; they have type99 tanks but we have modified-penetrating PRG and Javejins) so think again ;):D

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
We aren't weak! We are sure outnumbered but still very deadly! We only bought things that can deactivated our enemy at once (Ex: china have aircrafr carrier, we have kilo sub and Su30 that can sink it in no time, either it will be supported or not ; they have type99 tanks but we have modified-penetrating PRG and Javejins) so think again ;):D
Mate, you're responding to posts made years ago, and as much as I understand the desire to defend one's country from perceived insults, this is a forum for detailed military discussion, not chest-thumping about what your military is going to do if someone attacks or invades. Please read the forum rules and think about it - you don't need to get on here and start wailing about sinking aircraft carriers. Keep it civilised. And when a post is years old, there's no need to respond to it at all.

Thanks mate.

Crunchy

P3 Orion for Vietnam

In the last few week there were news over on many sites that Vietnam would be interested in some refurbished P3 Orions - albeit in a MPA configuration from the US.

LAAD Defence and Security 2013: US mulls P-3 MPA sale to Vietnam

Most of the discussion resolves around the "love triangle" VN-USA-PRC. Naturally the embittered US vet does not miss the discussion and throws in his rant + the ex-Saigon Regime official/Human rights activist (residing in Orange County/California) also throws in his babbling.

In my eye those discussion miss the most crucial point: the actual needs & options of the VPAF/VPN.

The VPAF operates the largest Antonov-26 fleet. Those planes were delivered by the SU in the 70s/80s. By the end of this decade they need to be replaced.
The VPAF has stated in the last few years they are very interested in buying AEW&C-planes.
Problem: Russia is curently occupied with refurbishing its' A-50 AEW&C fleet and has put resources in developing the A-100.
India got its' hands full with the new inducted systems and has no spare capacity for coop. Honestly the Vietnamese are not impressed with Indian Stretchable Time in the other programs. (Remember the Indian offer for ToT of the Prithvi SRBM or the BrahMos ASM - Vietnam is still hanging on its' SCUD and also had to buy Yakhnont.)
Sweden won't be able to get the EriEye system pass the HumanRights lobbyists. (Thailand ordered their EriEyes before things got really sour & also bought the Gripen.)

The VPN operates only some Ka-27 in the ASW role and currently doesn't have any MPA or ASW planes. Those Beriev-12 delivered in the 80s are out of service & talks with Ukrainians about refurbishment are not getting anywhere.
Problem: Russia hasn't got a priority to deploy a new MPA/ASW plane.
Japan is never going to get US approval for export of the Kawasaki P1. Also it is too expensive for VN.

The Marine Police (aka Coast Guard) is operating only 3 CASA C-212 with Swedish surveillance equipment. But that's just civilian LEO.

The most realistic option for Vietnam is to go with the EADS/CASA C-295.

The production of the cargo variant is up & running. It's very likely that Indonesia is getting the production license. That would eliminated threat of suspensions of spare part delivery in case of the HumanRights lobby getting a field day in the EU.
The MPA version is already in service with several countries.
The ASW version is under trial & soon will be available.
The AEW&C suite for the C-295 AEW&C version comes from IAI/Elta. Vietnam has got a working relationship with Isreal.
I mean, check out the Vietnamese naval infantry. They got the whole Isreali package. Isreal even sells amoured cars to the Vietnamse riot police. The very riot police, which is responsible for crackdowns on demonstrators. Rumors is that the VPAF Su-30s are flying with Isreali ECM/ECCM suites.

Operating the C-295 would give VN a very streamlined advantage.

IMHO the talk about VN buying P3 Orions reminds me about the talk about VN wanting to buy F16 a few years ago. Even Sen McCain made the comment that VN needs more "freeeeedooooom1!1!!1" before the US would sell Falcons to VN.
Shortly after that VN ordered 28 Su-30MK2Vs.
They pulled the same stunt already in the 90s regarding the French Mirage 2000-5 and the subsequent procurement of the Su-27SK/UBK.

The Viets might have a tight options, but that doesn't mean you can squeeze them during negotiations. Russia knows that.

With recession in Western countries some contractors will put alot pressure on their governments to open up the Vietnamese market - currently an exclusive Russian/EEuropean/Isreali market.

I expect a fairly large order for C-295 Cargo/MPA/ASW/AEW&C by Vietnam in next 2 years. Maybe VN ends up with operating the largest C-295 fleet.

Anyone here wants to bet?

My 2cents

Crunchy

Mate, you're responding to posts made years ago, and as much as I understand the desire to defend one's country from perceived insults, this is a forum for detailed military discussion, not chest-thumping about what your military is going to do if someone attacks or invades. Please read the forum rules and think about it - you don't need to get on here and start wailing about sinking aircraft carriers. Keep it civilised. And when a post is years old, there's no need to respond to it at all.

Thanks mate.
Western forums are already used to Chinese 50ct army and the rabbidly-nationalist Chinese colllege students, who just found a new spot to hang around for a while before he/she gets banned.

We just need to get used to the Vietnamese ones - not as strong in numbers, but as mad in behaviour.

I really should setup a combined Dokdo/Sensaku/Spratley thread. Dis Gon B Gud- watch dem E/SEAsians going full retard.....

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really should setup a combined Dokdo/Sensaku/Spratley thread. Dis Gon B Gud- watch dem E/SEAsians going full retard.....
You seem to be under the impression I'm inclined to listen or respond well to people that use expressions like "dis gon b gud" and "full retard" - allow me to disabuse you of that notion. Threads made with the intention of winding people up are going to get closed, and members who refer to racial groups as "retards" are going to get banned.

I hope this is clear enough for you.