Modern Military of Vietnam

T.C.P

Do you have data of AESA radar detection range of such object of x rcs at x distant?
Nah not really but seeing that AESA is replacing PESA and that AESA is one of the main characteristics that set 4.5 gen and 5th gen Air craft apart, I would assume that they are better than PESA radars.

T.C.P

Well it really depends on the threat one is facing, doesn't it :) .
Yeah you are right,if you faced a threat from an adversary against whom you share large land borders, you will need a strong ground force to counter attack large scale ground offensives and also to hold your line.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
RSK MiG has merged with UAC. Also the director of both Sukhoi Group and RSK MiG is Pogosyan. I.e. the Zhuk-AE is available for the Su-35 most likely around the same time as it becomes available for the MiG-35 (maybe slightly later depending on how the orders placed correspond with production).

I seriously doubt that quote to be honest. It makes little sense to go for buckets more Su-30s, if you plan to eventually purchase the Su-35, since the Su-35 should be available right now. The MiG-35 makes even less sense. What makes a lot of sense is getting the S-300PMU2. Tons of them will become (and are right now) in the form of retired refurbs, while the main production lines are busy with domestic orders for S-400.

I would like to note that the majority of the T-80 fleet is retired from active duty as of right now. Only a few units are left with them. Some of them no doubt made their way into storage bases, but I strongly suspect the majority have simply been retired. The T-90A currently entering service (iirc ~700 are in service right now, out of an inventory of 2000 combat tanks) are replacing all other types of MBTs. If Vietnam wants a good deal on retired T-80Bs now's the time.

T.C.P

Do you think that the Su-35 and the Mig-35 will have similar Zhuk-AE or will their respective versions differ and if they do, in what way will they differ?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea. The Zhuk-AE is still due for flight testing this year, as it's being developed for the MiG-35, and later PAK-FA. Installing it on the Su-35 is likely, but is rather far off at this point.

newbee

Banned Member
they bought two new Sub Kilo-project from Russia :) , and 12 SU30 MK2 received until 2012

as far as i know , Vietnam recently received a frigate Gepard 3.9 purchased from Russia , the second one come soon to Vietnam

Last edited by a moderator:

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Newbee,

STOP posting ONE-LINER posts.

And, GATHER your thoughts so you can post whole comment in ONE post and not back to back posts.

If this circus continues, you will be banned.

VNcitizen

With the AirForce, until 2015, Vietnam will have about 44 Su30(Mk2V, Mk3V), 16 Su27 to form 3-4 regiments, about 100 Mig-21 Bison (upgrade from India) and 30+ Su22M4. Vietnam has just also purchased 8 Yakolev Yak-130 in 2010

About the plan to replace Mig 21 and Su22, the potential candidates are Mig -29, Mig-35, and Su-34

With the AirDefence, 2 more S300PMU2s plan to be purchased, Vietnam also try to mordenize S-75 and S-125 with automatic capability. According to some unofficialy sources, the AirForce also plans to buy TorM2 and BukM2 systems.

With the Naval, 6 Kilo subs are on the way with 2 Gepard light frigates. The navy also want to build up 6 more. Vietnam try to build it own's Tarantul and Svetlyak class patrol boat.

Informations about Ground Force are very little. The T-72s contract with Poland was canceled. Some sources said that Vietnam have purchased around 120-130 T-72s from Belarus. T-90 variants also rumour to have been appeard in some military bases

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doubt the Su-34 will come any time soon. That type would benefit greatly from export contracts, but as it stands the VVS is buying the entire production capacity (unimpressive as it is) from NAPO.

No T-90 are there right now. That I'm fairly certain of. I would think the most natural choice wouldn't be upgraded Fulcrums, but more Super Flankers instead. The Su-35S for example. It's more capable then any MiG-29, easily competitive with the MiG-35, and available in the near future.

VNcitizen

Yes, you are almost right. Vietnamese AirFoce just interested in Su-34, Mig-29 is quite out of date compare with Su-35. The possibility of buying Mig-35 is base on India contract of buying their new fighters. We plan to use the Mig-21 and Su-22 for next 10-15 years more, as well as reduce the amount of them. Right now, the most possibility of new fighters for VPAF is Su-35. And do you know what is one of the most trouble here is : it's money :)).

I myself don't believe that we already have T-90s, just T-80s or T-84s perhaps. Some source said that we have bought some (3-5) T-90s for training only. But I can comfirm that the VPA already have T-72, but no more than 150.

About military theory, Vietnam will modernize the AirForce and AirDefenceForce, the Navy, communication and electronic welfare immediately, the Ground force and other branches will be modernize gradually to suit with new circumstances.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
No T-84 or T-80s either. Unless you managed to get a hold of some from used RuArmy stocks. That tank has been out of production for a long time. Even the ones for Cyprus were not new builds.

The Su-35, or if you want twin-seaters some MKI variant. It's interesting, because as it stands Vietnam operates both single seat SKs and twin-seat MK2s.

VNcitizen

The newest contract sign in last of 2010 show some infomations that VPAF will buy 20 Su-30 MK3, I wonder if it is true.

VPAF also have Su-27 SK/UB and even PU type with twin seats

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a source for that contract?

EDIT: PU? I'm not aware of any serial production run for the Su-27PU. It was the predecessor to the Su-30 and never saw a serial production run.

Found the 20 Su-30MK2 contract though.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=4715907&c=EUR&s=TOP

So Vietnam will have 32 Su-30s and 12 Su-27SK? How many UBs are we looking at in addition to the above? 4?

mk25

I'm not very sure about the # of SU-27 but for the contract of SU-30, it is as follow:

In 2009, an order of 8 was placed. In the beginning of 2010, another 12 and in mid 2010 another 20. So from 2009 to 2010, a total of 40 su-30 were ordered. When received them all along with what are already in service, the Vietnamese Airforce should have a total of 56-60 Flankers.

I always wonder if the decision to spend $4 billion for the 6 Kilo-class submarines including the price to build their bases is the right one or not. We could have spent those $4 billion for another 80 Su-30 to build our AirForce up to 136-140 Flankers.

VNcitizen

Do you have a source for that contract?

EDIT: PU? I'm not aware of any serial production run for the Su-27PU. It was the predecessor to the Su-30 and never saw a serial production run.

So Vietnam will have 32 Su-30s and 12 Su-27SK? How many UBs are we looking at in addition to the above? 4?
VPAF has 8 Su-27SK, but one have crashed in the sea by an accident. We have also ordered 5 Su-27UB, but in the delivery proccess, the Russian damaged 2 UBs so they had to alter by another 2 PUs from their stock.

At present, VPAF has 7 Su-27SKs, 3 Su-27UBs and 2 Su27-PUs, in the future we plan to buy second-handed Su-27UBs to fullfill the total of 16.

Last edited:

Triumf

VPAF has 8 Su-27SK, but one have crashed in the sea by an accident. We have also ordered 5 Su-27UB, but in the delivery proccess, the Russian damaged 2 UBs so they had to alter by another 2 PUs from their stock.

At present, VPAF has 7 Su-27SKs, 3 Su-27UBs and 2 Su27-PUs, in the future we plan to buy second-handed Su-27UBs to fullfill the total of 16.
By the end of Feb 2011, Vietnam people's Air and Air defense force consits:
- 8 Su-30MK2 (Reg. No: 8531, 8532, 8533, 8534, 8535, 8536, 8537, 8538)
- 6 Su-27SK (Reg. No: 6001, 6002, 6003, 6004, 6005, 6006).
- 3 Su-27UBK (Reg No: 8521, 8522, 8523)
- 2 Su-27PU (Reg. No: 8526, 8527)
- 43 Su-22M4
- 9 Su-22UM3K
- 85 MiG-21Bis
- 15 MiG-21UM
- 23 L-39
- 32 Yak-52
- 14 An-26
- 8 An-2TD
- 1 M-28 Byzra
- 4 Mi-171 (SAR role)
- 18 Mi-17
- 18 Mi-172
- 24 Mi-8
- 1 Ka-32T
- 7 Ka-28 ASW
- 13 UH-1
- 2 S-300PMU1+++ SAM systems
- 24 Pechora-2M SAM systems
- 28 Volga-M SAM systems
- 12 Strela-10M3 SAM launchers
- 72 ZSU-23-4M1V Self-propelled AAA
- 24 ZSU-14.5V
- 30/240 Igla-S man portable lanchers/missiles
- 30/360 Strela-2M man portable lanchers/missiles
- 2 Nebo-UE radar
- 2 Nebo-SV radar
- 2 Vostock-E radar
- 2 Oborona-14 radar
- 2 29N6 Delta radar
- 4 Kolchuga radar
- 28 P-18M radar
- 16 P-35M radar
- 16 P-37M radar
- 16 PRV-11 radar
- 3 Kasta-2E2 radar
- 300+ AAA gun

Triumf

The re-elected member of the Politburo Defense Minister Phung Quang Thanh announced a couple of weeks ago that Vietnam will focus on modernizing the navy and airforce, ..no mention of ground force at all:(

From 2009 to mid 2010 we ordered a total of 40 Su-30 and from unconfirmed source we may order another 32 Su-30, 32 Mig-35, 18 Su-35BM, and 5 batteries of S-300PMU2 in the next 5 years. Future orders are just speculation at the moment but it comes from people who predicted that Vietnam would purchase 6 Kilo-class submarines several years ago. :cool:

As for radar installation, it's confirmed that Vietnam already put in service Kasta-2E2,Vostok E,Kolchulga,Nebo SV, and 55Zh6 Nebo-UE
Vietnam also has Oborona-14, ST-68U, 29N6 Delta radars and lot of P-18MV upgraded radars.

T.C.P

Vietnam has no other choice. In near future, MiG-35 is the best option for MiG-21Bis replacement.
If the Mig-35 will be there at all, it has been rejected by the Indians and unless Russia places large orders for them the air craft is dead.