Military Aviation News and Discussion

Big_Zucchini

They will certainly try but they have to worry about LM offering a US built MRTT. As for foreign sales, other than Japan and Israel, most will lean toward MRTT.
I don't know how keen Israel will be on buying Boeing platforms in the future. Tankers are a strategic issue for Israel, and Boeing blocked Israeli requests to convert existing 7x7 planes for a lower cost, and much faster, forcing it to buy KC-46A which are delayed for too long.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I don't know how keen Israel will be on buying Boeing platforms in the future. Tankers are a strategic issue for Israel, and Boeing blocked Israeli requests to convert existing 7x7 planes for a lower cost, and much faster, forcing it to buy KC-46A which are delayed for too long.
I can certainly understand that. Perhaps buying MRTTs from the US would be politically doable assuming Airbus would build them in the US but unless the USAF gets on board I really can’t see Airbus doing this.

swerve

Super Moderator
Israel is capable of converting airliners to tankers, using its own AAR kit. The Israelis could buy secondhand A330s & convert them. The only question is whether Airbus would sell spares, etc. That's what killed the plan to convert used 767s: Boeing refused to provide any support or allow anyone else to.

Big_Zucchini

After ~20 years (one source says since 90's, most say since early 2000's), the IDF ends censorship on armed drones.
This is not a really big news in the world of aviation, but it could have implications on future sales of these drones, as they can now be exhibited fully armed in international exhibitions, and not only secretly to individual buyers.
One known weapon of choice is the Mikholit (in Hebrew), aka IAI Sledgehammer.

The Sledgehammer / Mikholit is assumed to be used by the IAF for sonic blasts on populated areas, or in other words as the warning element in its roof knocking procedure. Basically a small missile with no warhead hits the roof of a building and produces a bang strong enough for everyone around to hear. Then if the building is populated, people escape it, and thus it is possible to evacuate large areas of civilians from warzones.

In other news, IAI has scored a $200 million contract with an unknown European country for recon aircraft.

It is yet unknown which aircraft was chosen for the conversion, but it is said the G550, on which IAI built such aircraft for several countries including Israel, is no longer in production.

Musashi_kenshin

Apparently said Tempest demonstrator will be flying within five years. That will be interesting.

British ‘Tempest’ demonstrator jet to fly within five years (ukdefencejournal.org.uk)
Yes, alongside the increasing chances that Japan will become an official partner even if their plane has some differences, Tempest is looking better than it ever has. Some people may be surprised at Japan choosing a European project to cooperate with, but it would mean they'd have far more control over the plane and future upgrades than going with US assistance.

In contrast, looks like further delays for FCAS are incoming. I'm not surprised that work-share is at the heart of it.

Terran

“On the next-generation fighter, Dassault must be the uncontested leader,”. I don’t think anyone is surprised. The French have to have the chair on it due to them wanting their needs first. It’s why Tempest will likely have an easier time. No one is trying to put it on a carrier deck. So requirements are smoother.

swerve

Super Moderator
The USA & US military aircraft makers want Japan as a customer, not an equal development partner. They'd love Japanese money to help fund their development, but they don't want to cede any control.

Musashi_kenshin

The USA & US military aircraft makers want Japan as a customer, not an equal development partner. They'd love Japanese money to help fund their development, but they don't want to cede any control.
This is the weakness of the American pitch. In the post-Trump era it's simply not possible to know the US will be reasonable when it comes to defence. LM may say "of course we'd let you upgrade the new jet for a reasonable price", but they can't bind a future CEO or US administration. Equally I think there is a real possibility that NGAD is blocked from export orders by Congress due to the sensitivity of its technologies, at least for a time.

If this was 2000 or even 2010 I'd say the Americans would still be favourites given their longstanding defence relationship with Japan, but in era where the latter is starting to accept it needs to be more self-reliant I believe there is a real possibility the US option will be dumped.

Sandhi Yudha

The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Kuwait of Advanced Weapons in Support of Eurofighter Typhoon Aircraft Program and related equipment for an estimated cost of $397 million. Big chance that the this new equipment is procured for replacement of stuff used in the war in Yemen.

Kuwait’s purchase of 60 AIM-120 C-7/8 Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles and bombs of various types worth $397 million for its Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft fleet. The bombs, which include 250 MK-84 General Purpose 2,000-pound bombs; 501 MK-83 General Purpose 1,000-lb bombs, among other kit, would come from Raytheon Technologies and Lockheed Martin.
Kuwait – Advanced Weapons in Support of Eurofighter Typhoon Aircraft Program | Defense Security Cooperation Agency

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

So Polen urgently needs fighterjets, and to save time a total of 48 FA-50 light attack aircraft are ordered for the Siły Powietrzne RP (Polish Air Force) and all will be in the latest Block 20 configuration, capable of carrying AIM-120 AMRAAM medium-range air-to-air missiles. The first twelve aircraft will be delivered in 2023.

They also ordered a first instalment of 180 K2 Black Panther tanks and howitzers from South Korea.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
DARPA is showing interest in rotational detonation engine development. RDEs could offer better performance for missiles with a smaller footprint. The same possibilities exist for future jets. There might be opportunities for the USN as well with estimates that fuel savings could be improved by 20%.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article suggests a dim future for Europe’s 4 and 4.5 gen fighters following the Czech decision on the F-35. The last paragraph is somewhat of a warning though. I wonder what secrets can realistically be learn d from a F-35 that actually crashes on land as opposed to a jet that ends up in the ocean?

FormerDirtDart

At least nine helicopters assigned to Virginia’s Naval Station Norfolk were damaged Tuesday in a storm.
This looks pretty expensive.
Other reporting announced 10 aircraft damaged. All meeting criteria as a Class A ground mishap. ($2.5 million or more in damage or total loss)
The helicopters damaged were five MH-60S Knight Hawks, one MH-60R Sea Hawk and four MH-53E Sea Dragon mine countermeasures helicopters, according to the assessment.
One MH-53E and 3 MH-60s (models not specified) blown over.
The damage to the MH-53E Sea Dragons is significant, as the USN only has at most 30 of the type in service.

Sandhi Yudha

With the delivery of the last Pilatus PC-21s to Murcia/San Javier on 20 June 2022, the training role of the Aviojet has been transferred to 792 Escadron. This unit operates a fleet of 24 PC-21s

The first Aviojets were delivered to the Academia General del Aire (AGA) on 17 January 1980, so the Ejército del Aire operated the CASA C101 for more than 40 years.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article raises some interesting questions about the actual status of the NGAD program. One positive IMHO is the apparent commitment to keep the prime aerospace players viable. Future engine developments will likely be first. As for NGAD and the future naval fighter, a continuing mystery as to which companies will be involved.

Sandhi Yudha

A sad day for Finnish aviation industry.
The Valmet L-70 Vinka is retired from Ilmavoimat service, the last Vinka service flight of the Air Force was on 31 August 2022.

With this the Ilmavoimat has removed the last Finnish designed and built aircraft from its fleet.

Sandhi Yudha

96 AH-64Es.....thats an enormous amount.
In my opinion unrealistic. Even the largest economies of Europe have less than 70 combat helicopters in their fleets. With that amount, Poland will be the largest AH-64 user in the world outside the US.