Military Aviation News and Discussion

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
A short article discussing the US army options for a UH-60 replacement. Each design has merits but the Valor 280 seems to be progressing at a faster rate. IMO, the outcome might be similar to the USN’s LCS program, select both designs. Unlike the naval decision, a split buy might be correct although more expensive.Beyond The Black Hawk: Defiant Vs. Valor

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Puolustusministeriö Finnish defence Ministry) procurement team responsible for running the HX Fighter competition to replace the Ilmavoimat (Finnish Air Force) F-18 C/D Hornets expect all 5 contenders to remain until the end of the competition. However they said that the flight trials showed that not all of the manufacturers claimed specifications were met.

The aircraft being tested are:
  • Eurofighter Typhoon
  • Boeing F-18 E/F
  • SAAB Gripen E/F
  • Lockheed Martin F-35A
  • Dassault Rafale
What was not stated was which aircraft had what shortcomings Finns Analyzing Fighter Trials Data | Aviation Week Network. It will be interesting to see what the outcome of this competition is. Interestingly is the fact that in the end only 2 of F35 could fly, with one of them having mechanical problems and had to be withdrawn. The Finns were somewhat perplexed that the F-35 contingent of 4 aircraft required 2 x C17A and tankers to provide logistical support. One the other hand the 2 x F-18s cross the pond with a KC-10 tanker in support.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
It was scheduled for July so this is further evidence that COVID-19 restrictions will be around for sometime yet.
Or like the potential cancelation of the 2020 Olympics. Eventough at the time of Olympics the COVID 19 considered will be under control, however many of the preparation will be behind schedule.

Redlands18

Or like the potential cancelation of the 2020 Olympics. Eventough at the time of Olympics the COVID 19 considered will be under control, however many of the preparation will be behind schedule.
They have been officially Postponed until 2021, announced late Tuesday night. Definitely the right decision, would have been a farce otherwise.

Redlands18

milliGal

In some rare good news for Boeing, it appears their collaboration with Saab on the T-7A Red Hawk is shaping up to be a great success.

A 21st century trainer with a flexible open architecture interface that can be adapted to serve as a lead in for a wide range of other aircraft. And it is coming in on time and on budget to boot.

I am really liking what I am seeing from this aircraft so far. I imagine a light attack variant will be developed in due course, and I would love to see this aircraft become the platform that launches NZ back into the fast jet game.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
In some rare good news for Boeing, it appears their collaboration with Saab on the T-7A Red Hawk is shaping up to be a great success.

A 21st century trainer with a flexible open architecture interface that can be adapted to serve as a lead in for a wide range of other aircraft. And it is coming in on time and on budget to boot.

I am really liking what I am seeing from this aircraft so far. I imagine a light attack variant will be developed in due course, and I would love to see this aircraft become the platform that launches NZ back into the fast jet game.
I agree, it's definitely looking to be a cracker capability. It's got some really unique and great capabilities that are absolutely brilliant. I too think that the only way to improve it would be having the Kiwi roundels painted on it. Unfortunately there is no political will for the at the moment.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I think now that it will be sold to Brazil and Portugal, and possibly some of the countries who have signed the letter of intent. Budgets will be tight and this aircraft will be hard to sell, as will other aircraft for a few years.
Unfortunately I think you are right as you point out, the economic environment will be tight', which is a pity as it has the potetial to be a fine aircraft. I don't think that the Brazilian governments handling of the Covid 19 crisis will help Embraer either.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
When we had our A-4K Skyhawks us Kiwis prided ourselves in our low flying capabilities. Can't remember any reports of one being sprung for speeding by the traffic cops though.
20200610_161842.jpg
This Polish Mig 29 driver though would've had some explaining to do to his / her boss when the court summons arrived in the post. Under NZ law 578 km/he above the speed limit means automatic 28 day suspension of license and impounding of the vehicle. Once before the court the loss of license would be measured in years and the fine substantial. At that stage I would be tempted to hand over the aircraft documentation as a down payment on the fines.