Military Aviation News and Discussion

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The SAAB GlobalEye utilising the Bombardier G6000 airframe, undertook it's first flight on 14th March 2018.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
France and Germany have signed a letter of intent to jointly develop a new MPA. I think that this is the opportunity that Airbus are wanting to advance their A320neo based MPA. An A319 / 320 based MPA was first mooted in 2002 and so far hasn't progressed beyond being a paper aircraft. They have also decided to develop a sixth generation combat aircraft. The intention is to have the aircraft flying by 2040. One is hopeful that they have learnt lessons from the A400M and NH90 programs. I will not hold my breath.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
France and Germany have signed a letter of intent to jointly develop a new MPA. I think that this is the opportunity that Airbus are wanting to advance their A320neo based MPA. An A319 / 320 based MPA was first mooted in 2002 and so far hasn't progressed beyond being a paper aircraft. They have also decided to develop a sixth generation combat aircraft. The intention is to have the aircraft flying by 2040. One is hopeful that they have learnt lessons from the A400M and NH90 programs. I will not hold my breath.
Honestly, I would not be holding my breath on the programme being a successful one either. At least not if the goal is to deliver a first tier, leading edge MPA. If both France and Germany were to do a 1:1 replacement for their current MPA fleets, that would still only amount to ~30 aircraft, which is half or less than the projected size of Japan's P-1 fleet. That fleet size is not going to provide a real economy of scale if advanced sensors are to be developed and integrated, either as part of the initial design or subsequent upgrades.

As mentioned previously (in the RNZAF thread) there are a number of Euro operators of 2nd tier maritime patrol/surveillance aircraft, as well as designs and production facilities for the same, which would suggest that apart from France and Germany, other nations are likely to look for what would be smaller, less expensive, and potentially even domestically produced maritime aircraft solutions. Not to mention that a flying replacement by 2040 is over 20 years away and around when I would anticipate the US might start examining options to upgrade or replace the P-8A Poseidon...

To me, this suggests that apart from France and Germany, there would be other MPA options available which would be at least competitive on price, capabilities, or both.

swerve

Super Moderator
The Janes (via IHS) report I read said much earlier than 2040: in the mid-late 2020s. Spain has upgraded P-3s which would need replacing by then, & if they're to replace their current fleets without a gap, they'll need it ready for service as the first aircraft start retiring, not after the last one has been scrapped, which is what will probably have happened by 2040.

"France and Germany are already taking part in the Co-operation on Multinational Maritime Multi-Mission Aircraft Capabilities programme that is looking to develop a new MPA with Canada, Greece, Italy, Poland, Spain, and Turkey. While it is not immediately apparent as to how the two projects relate to each other, it is likely that there will be a high degree of synergy given the similar timelines and capability requirements. Since 2017, the six original participants (minus Canada and Poland, which joined earlier in 2018) have been defining a common requirements document for future capabilities in this area, which should be completed later this year. "

France and Germany launch joint MPA effort | Jane's 360

Canada wants a replacement for the CP-140 around 2032, according to the RCAF CoS last October.
Canada and North Atlantic Defense: The Modernization of the CP-140 - Second Line of Defense

Last edited:

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Although the technology on board our CP-140s is good out to 2032, the cost of maintaining the airframes will start to get ugly much sooner. As for the replacement date of 2032, it is not credible based on our military procurement record. Even more troubling is Canada’s fiscal situation which worsens daily thanks to junior and the witch DB running Ontario. Ontario has the the largest sub-nation government debt in the world. Combine that fact along with other critical defence recapitalization projects, something will have to give. Tritons for Canada will never happen, Avenger Cs maybe, Tier 2 MPAs likely.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
This article discusses LM's offer to Japan on a new stealth design based on technology from both the F-22 and F-35, subject to US approval. Given China's increasing boldness of late, perhaps this is confirmation that refusing the export of F-22s to Japan and even Australia wasn't such a great idea. Apparently Japan would insist on Japanese engines and radar for their jets and export orders. This would mean higher pricing I would think compared to a US produced jet. Is this design a 5+ Gen jet the USAF would be interested in to enhance its own air superiority fleet?

Lockheed Martin to offer Japan stealthy F-22 and F-35 hybrid jet:The Asahi Shimbun

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Lookin on this Image, seems Airbus more sure on next generation Eurofighter, A-330 AEW then A-320 MPA.

Well it's an advertising image anyway. However seems in my opinion the next Eurofighter potentially will bring more market than A-320 MPA. Not that A-320 MPA not feasible, however Airbus now more has traction on smaller C-295 MPA internationally.
Db2_3aYV4AErk5i.jpg

Ananda

The Bunker Group
An 188 concept, that Antonov bring in to Turkey attention and if info right also the Attention from rich Gulf money.
AN 70 fiasco with Russia, already killed what is potential strong contender for Medium Airlifter facing A-400M.

However with Airbus have difficulty with their A-400M, I do have reservation on this potential Antonov JV with either Turkey or Gulf money. Still it's a good concept if it can be launch. For me, I think Japanese C-2 can potential take the market if the Japanese more serious on marketing it.
1434706644_1-750x493.jpg

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Back in 1959 a RAF flight of three Avro Vulcan bombers visited NZ and put on a display during the opening of Rongotai - Wellington Airport. During this display one of the Vulcan's attempted a full stop landing. In the attempt the aircraft undershot the runway, losing the port undercarriage bogey and the left wing tip impacting the ground. Only the skill and quick thinking of the pilot averted a disaster. The aircraft returned to Ohakea and pancaked there. The article below is a story about this as described by one of the crew.

Retired wing commander remembers near miss

Video of accident:

Reactions: t68

t68

Back in 1959 a RAF flight of three Avro Vulcan bombers visited NZ and put on a display during the opening of Rongotai - Wellington Airport. During this display one of the Vulcan's attempted a full stop landing. In the attempt the aircraft undershot the runway, losing the port undercarriage bogey and the left wing tip impacting the ground. Only the skill and quick thinking of the pilot averted a disaster. The aircraft returned to Ohakea and pancaked there. The article below is a story about this as described by one of the crew.

Retired wing commander remembers near miss

Video of accident:
geez that would have been frightening, A perfect example of the British adage Keep Calm And Carry On:)