Military Aviation News and Discussion

hauritz

Geebuz that's eye watering in the diffrence in flight hour cost, over the projected lives it might be cheaper just to scrap them and buy Blackhawk's
That is a massive difference in operating costs between Blackhawk and NH90. I suspect that Australia might be in the same boat.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would treat that Sputnik story with some caution and probably a fair amount of salt.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I would treat that Sputnik story with some caution and probably a fair amount of salt.
Actually the ratio looks about right, unfortunately. According to an ANAO report from June 2014 on Australia's MRH90's, prior to contract re-negotiation the MRH90 operating costs per flight hour was ~5 times that of Army's S-70A-9 Black Hawk helicopters. Further, the ratio of maintenance man-hours to flight hours had been 'improved' by April 2014 to 27 hours per flight hour. Admitted that is better than what it had been, which peaked at 97 man-hours per flight hour in Jan. 2012.

Also in the footnotes of the report, it indicated that from April 2013 to April 2014, the average number of serviceable MRH90's in ADF service was 48%, when the sustainment contract's target was 65%. The report also noted that the design proved to be more developmental than expected during the source selection in 2004 & 2006.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Actually the ratio looks about right, unfortunately. According to an ANAO report from June 2014 on Australia's MRH90's, prior to contract re-negotiation the MRH90 operating costs per flight hour was ~5 times that of Army's S-70A-9 Black Hawk helicopters. Further, the ratio of maintenance man-hours to flight hours had been 'improved' by April 2014 to 27 hours per flight hour. Admitted that is better than what it had been, which peaked at 97 man-hours per flight hour in Jan. 2012.

Also in the footnotes of the report, it indicated that from April 2013 to April 2014, the average number of serviceable MRH90's in ADF service was 48%, when the sustainment contract's target was 65%. The report also noted that the design proved to be more developmental than expected during the source selection in 2004 & 2006.
Thanks Tod.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
It seems like the NH 90 has won the ire of yet another customer, Norway. Their acquisition started in 2001 so we haven't done too badly in Australia after all when compared with others experience.

Norway Perplexed What to Do With 'Nightmare Helicopters' After Decade's Delay
It is rather amazing how many countries have been burned by helicopter procurements in the last 10-15 years. Canada, needless to say, has had its horror-show Cyclone project, several countries have NH-90 disappointments, and the Tiger attack helicopter isn't exactly a star either. None of these machines were ready for primetime when they were ordered and years later they still lacking. Not sure about other countries regarding medium lift helicopters but in Canada's case, politicians enabled Sikorsky to bid an non-existent machine against an incomplete product (NH-90) and a working product (EH-101 now AH-101). I guess the moral of the story regarding helicopters is fly before you buy.

t68

It is rather amazing how many countries have been burned by helicopter procurements in the last 10-15 years. Canada, needless to say, has had its horror-show Cyclone project, several countries have NH-90 disappointments, and the Tiger attack helicopter isn't exactly a star either. None of these machines were ready for primetime when they were ordered and years later they still lacking. Not sure about other countries regarding medium lift helicopters but in Canada's case, politicians enabled Sikorsky to bid an non-existent machine against an incomplete product (NH-90) and a working product (EH-101 now AH-101). I guess the moral of the story regarding helicopters is fly before you buy.
In the ADF case it should have waited to see the true cost when they only ordered enough for the RAN, then got the hell out of dodge when the realized the true cost

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
In the ADF case it should have waited to see the true cost when they only ordered enough for the RAN, then got the hell out of dodge when the realized the true cost
There were at least two opportunities where Canada could have done the same and just gone back to a solution that was already flying, the Merlin. The final cost for the Cyclone project is not going to be pretty and performance parameters will possibility be reduced. Twelve years after the order, we only have a little over 50% delivered. Norway's NH-90s only took 10 years.:)

It will be some before cost of operation is publically known.

Novascotiaboy

Novascotiaboy

Aircraft made here such as the Twin Otter from Viking or smaller aircraft like the Cessna 208 or the PAC 750xl. Good support for Special Forces in operations with austere facilities or places where military helicopters stand out, particularly western choppers.

Even in Canada the need for utility and liason aircraft for use in short haul operations our options are extremely limited, Hercules or a Griffon.

hairyman

Australia and others have had a bad run with their Euro made choppers, however I have never heard anything detrimental re the Merlin AH101. Were these ever considered by the ADF? If not, why not? Were they considered too big for our purposes?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Australia and others have had a bad run with their Euro made choppers, however I have never heard anything detrimental re the Merlin AH101. Were these ever considered by the ADF? If not, why not? Were they considered too big for our purposes?
I do not know, but I suspect the increased weight and size of the AW101 vs. the MRH90 was a bit too much. Keep in mind also that the MRH90 in ADF service was chosen to be the helicopter fleet rationalization replacement for three different helicopter designs, the UH-1H 'Huey' and S-70A-9 Black Hawk utility helicopters, and the medium-lift Sea King Mk 50 helicopter. Given that the seated troop capacity for some versions of the AW101 is ~30 or close to triple the Black Hawk capacity (and still 50% more than the NH90's claimed capacity...) I suspect the AW101 was a bit too much helicopter for what the planners or decision-makers were attempting.

Frankly I believe the idea was overly ambitious and somewhat poorly thought, and that is before one gets into just how developmental the NH90 has actually proven to be, as well as the methodologies used to predict/claim operational and maintenance costs and requirements.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Embraer has announced an export order of 6 x KC-390 to Sky Tech an aviation services company. What is not known is whether not this is a separate order to the Portuguese Air Force.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Embraer has announced an export order of 6 x KC-390 to Sky Tech an aviation services company. What is not known is whether not this is a separate order to the Portuguese Air Force.
Maybe they have , or will be looking for a lease customer, This can be quite a popular move for armed forces that have a capital charge type accounting system similar to ours.

t68

Maybe they have , or will be looking for a lease customer, This can be quite a popular move for armed forces that have a capital charge type accounting system similar to ours.
Does leasing get around that, also got to take into account when leasing the restrictions placed on the airframes from the vendor, like the UK C17 deal

swerve

Super Moderator
AFAIK the Portuguese Air Force hasn't signed a contract yet. Last I heard (some weeks ago) was a press report that negotiations were at an advanced stage.

This could be a separate sale, but one possibility is that this is how the PAF contract is configured.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Does leasing get around that, also got to take into account when leasing the restrictions placed on the airframes from the vendor, like the UK C17 deal
Certainly the terms of the lease can be restrictive, though often there will be an out clause on the bases of break it and you pay for it, as opposed to any insurance cover. Leasing allows for a limited capital budget to be used for higher priority items at the expense of the operational budget, however when the capital charge or lack of, is factored in this cost is minimal.