Military Aviation News and Discussion

Sandhi Yudha

Because of the lack of decent jetfighters, the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF) is currently running a programme that has the objective to bring back the Kfir-fleet to active service. Several airframes will be refurbished.
The program actually already started some years ago, but was put on hold.

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has taken delivery of two more Diamond DA62 surveillance aircraft on 11 October.
The NAF released a photograph showing all four DA62s fitted with electro-optical systems under their noses and blue and white balloons. These balloons are probably used as decoys for anti-aircraft artillery.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

|"The eventual 28 Eurofighters will complement the Kuwaiti Air Force’s F/A-18 Hornet and Mirage F1 jets."|

I thought these Mirage F1s were retired from service many years ago. Reading this article i don't get the feeling that this is a piece of high level defence journalism.

swerve

Super Moderator
Good grief! Yes, not exactly the best reporting I've seen.

Kuwait's Mirage F.1s were delivered in the 1970s. Some were lost in the 1990-91 war, & the survivors were quickly replaced by a much larger number of F-18s.

The Typhoons & a similar number of F-18E will replace the F-18s.

Sandhi Yudha

On 29 October 2023, the first image of two Nigerian Air Force T129 ATAK attack helicopters appeared at Twitter.
Nigeria has ordered 6 T129 attack helicopters in 2022, the first four are planned for delivery in the last quarter of 2023, the final two in the first quarter of 2024.

In February 2023, the UAEAF signed a contract for fifteen Hongdu L-15 Falcons and now the first two Hongdu L-15 Falcon advanced jet training aircraft for the UAEAF have been revealed at Al Maktoum International (UAE).

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

On 2 November 2023, the Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF) received two brand new Pacific Aerospace PAC-750XL light transport planes through its donor Australia. This means an increase of 200% of the current fleet of a single PAC 750XL that was delivered in September 2021. Papua Nugini should also have a CN235, but i don't know if it is in active usage or grounded.
Btw, is Pacific Aerospace Limited the only aircraft manufacturer in New Zealand, or are there also other ones?

Last edited:

At lakes

On 2 November 2023, the Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF) received two brand new Pacific Aerospace PAC-750XL light transport planes through its donor Australia. This means an increase of 200% of the current fleet of a single PAC 750XL that was delivered in September 2021. Papua Nugini should also have a CN235, but u don't know if it is in active usage or grounded.
Btw, is Pacific Aerospace Limited the only aircraft manufacturer in New Zealand, or are there also other ones?
As far as I am aware Pacific Aerospace are the only ones. There are several major aircraft engineering facilities but design and construction of aircraft Pacific Aerospace is the only one

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
On 2 November 2023, the Papua New Guinea Defence Force (PNGDF) received two brand new Pacific Aerospace PAC-750XL light transport planes through its donor Australia. This means an increase of 200% of the current fleet of a single PAC 750XL that was delivered in September 2021. Papua Nugini should also have a CN235, but u don't know if it is in active usage or grounded.
It was the only one. I think that it recently went out of business, but I could be wrong. We do have more companies involved in space platform manufacturing and research than we do terrestrial aviation. Rocket Lab and Dawn Aerospace to name a couple.

It was the only one. I think that it recently went out of business, but I could be wrong. We do have more companies involved in space platform manufacturing and research than we do terrestrial aviation. Rocket Lab and Dawn Aerospace to name a couple.
Pacific Aerospace Limited did indeed go into liquidation in 2020. Chinese interests had previously purchased 50% of the company in 2016.
In 2021 a new partnership purchased the assets from receivership and the business now trades as NZAero. The operation is still located at its original Hamilton Airport plant manufacturing SuperPac 750XL, Cresco, and E-350 Expedition aircraft.

NZAero Home : NZAero (aerospace.co.nz)

Sandhi Yudha

All remaining (11) Cyprus National Guard Mi-35s have been bought by Serbia and were recently delivered on board several cargo flights. In Serbia they will join the four Mi-35Ms already operated by the Anti-Armor Helicopter Squadron.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Embrear deliver 5th Upgrade E-99 AEW&C with upgrade Erieye radar and other supporting sensors. Base on Embrear ERJ 145, seems this is the platform that SAAB also offer to other customers as preferences. So far asside Brazil, India, Mexico and Greece also use ERJ 145 as platform for their own AEW&C. Asside India that using their own radar and sensors set, others like Brazil team up with SAAB for their AEW&C package.

swerve

Super Moderator
SAAB has offered whatever platform fits the customer's requirements: SAAB 340, SAAB 2000, ERJ 145, & no Global 6000. You can have Erieye on a 13 ton MTO turboprob with limited onboard facilities, up to an all-singing, all-dancing installation on a 45 ton jet.

Sweden bought it on SAAB 340. Thailand & the UAE have bought SAAB 340 Erieye, & Greece had a couple on loan. The UAE has replaced it with Globaleye. Poland is acquiring a couple, expected to be the ex-UAE examples, refurbished. I think there are 6 in existence.

Brazil, Greece & Mexico (1) bought it on ERJ-145 (R-99), & all still have it in service: a total of 10. Brazil's Erieye systems have been updated. Greece has been reported to be discussing upgrading its Erieyes.

Pakistan & Saudi Arabia have SAAB 2000 Erieye - 9 between them.

The UAE has 3 Globaleye with 2 on order, & Sweden has ordered 2 more. It's being offered as a replacement for the Greek R-99, either instead of or as a follow-on to upgrading Greece's current Erieyes. It's rumoured (but AFAIK no more than that) that Poland's SAAB 340 AEW purchase may be a predecessor to a Globaleye order.

I don't see any sign of the Embraer 145 being SAAB's preferred platform. SAAB's marketing seems tailored to the customer, with Globaleye being offered as the top end, & conversions of stored SAAB 2000 to those on tight budgets.

Terran

I don't see any sign of the Embraer 145 being SAAB's preferred platform. SAAB's marketing seems tailored to the customer, with Globaleye being offered as the top end, & conversions of stored SAAB 2000 to those on tight budgets

Embraer I believe has ended production of the E145
and related ERJ. They replaced it with the P600. That airframe they have partnered with IWI to develop a new special mission family from. The fleet of R99s is finite as such. The Airframes though are likely to remain in service for decades more so sustainment and upgrades continue. It seems unlikely for any potential awacs procurement program to be launched using the used ERJs retiring from airlines as we speak.

SAAB is seems content to continue using the Bombardier Global 6000 series for the Globaleye. Unless someone shows up insisting on the Globaleye mission set in their pick of aircraft, that is not likely to change for a while. Well The back stocks of older second hand turboprop Erieye are a fixed resource that can only be managed.

swerve

Super Moderator
South Korea has selected the C-390. With Czechia having gone for it in October, Austria having decided to order four in September, & SAAB & Embraer getting together to offer it to the Swedish air force, it looks as if it may be taking off. It has seven confirmed customers now, five of them in Europe, & now its first sale in Asia. It's been reported that the Koreans are only buying three, but that may be just an initial batch. The ROKAF has 12 old C-130 that need replacing, plus four C-130J delivered from 2014. It's all penny packets so far apart from Brazil's own order, but the sudden flurry of selections this year must give hope to Embraer, especially of European sales, given the number of customers in the region.

South Korea picks Embraer’s C-390 for military transport aircraft

Czech Republic enters talks with Embraer for C-390 aircraft deal

Austria to buy four Embraer C-390 cargo planes for over $500 million

Embraer, Saab to pitch C-390 to Sweden

Ananda

The Bunker Group

KAI MC-X concept is only slightly bigger then Embraer C-390. The agreement with Embraer also open for some industrial co-op with KAI for C-390 parts. So it could be two potential move by ROK on this deal:
  1. KAI has no experience with Transport aircraft, especially in the class of their MC-X concept. This is could be use as learning curve for KAI, or
  2. ROK decided to enter agreement with Brazil to license build C-390. This deal can be first step towards that.
Licensing C-390 to KAI can be beneficial for Embraer to open Asian market. Embraer focus on Euro market and KAI then have license for Asian market.

I tend to see this deal as part of 1st scenario, but if KAI and Embraer can work out beneficial licensing agreement, perhaps the 2nd scenario can workable too. KAI ambition for their own transport, has to see how Kawasaki still have problems to find export market for C-2. MD-X basically has to fought market against C-390 and C-2.

OldTex

KAI MC-X concept is only slightly bigger then Embraer C-390. The agreement with Embraer also open for some industrial co-op with KAI for C-390 parts. So it could be two potential move by ROK on this deal:
  1. KAI has no experience with Transport aircraft, especially in the class of their MC-X concept. This is could be use as learning curve for KAI, or
  2. ROK decided to enter agreement with Brazil to license build C-390. This deal can be first step towards that.
Licensing C-390 to KAI can be beneficial for Embraer to open Asian market. Embraer focus on Euro market and KAI then have license for Asian market.

I tend to see this deal as part of 1st scenario, but if KAI and Embraer can work out beneficial licensing agreement, perhaps the 2nd scenario can workable too. KAI ambition for their own transport, has to see how Kawasaki still have problems to find export market for C-2. MD-X basically has to fought market against C-390 and C-2.
From the AMR article that you posted there is the following:
"The official noted that KAI’s objective is to develop a next-generation multirole transport aircraft that is positioned in terms of size and capabilities between the C-130 and A400M platforms. He added that while the company is initially planning to develop and manufacture the aircraft as an in-house project, it is possible that a foreign industry partner could be sought depending on subsequent technical assessments.

While he did not provide further details on international partnerships, AMR understands that Boeing and Embraer could be potential candidates given their experience in developing successful turbofan-powered military transport aircraft."

As Boeing have no tactical airlifter currently in their catalogue (especially after they dropped collaboration with Embraer on the K/C-390) it is likely that this selection of the C-390 might be KAI replacing Boeing. This is closer to your second scenario .