Mars Missions

crazydevil

what would be the minimum velocity increment required for a two impulse transfer from earth to mars about the sun??

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
what would be the minimum velocity increment required for a two impulse transfer from earth to mars about the sun??
Are you asking what would be the velocity for a simple earth - Mars journey? Unmanned, with no time pressure. You could do it over years, decades.

If you didn't have a two firing mission, then lowest energy would be the inter planetary transport network. I think the original NASA proposals had a possible Venus flyby so the direct route may not always be the best one to take.

crazydevil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you asking what would be the velocity for a simple earth - Mars journey? Unmanned, with no time pressure. You could do it over years, decades.

If you didn't have a two firing mission, then lowest energy would be the inter planetary transport network. I think the original NASA proposals had a possible Venus flyby so the direct route may not always be the best one to take.
yes , im talking about simple earth mars journey with no time pressure based on hoffmans transfer.Neglection the escape velocity of earth, we can assume the unmanned aircraft rotating in earths orbit around the sun.From there , with two velocity increments , it can be transferred to the orbit around mars.If so what would be those velocity increments.(im just doing some theoretical work on the same and would love to have your inputs )

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its been ages since I studied orbital mechanics, I have a feeling its between 3-5.7km/s if you want a single shot from earth orbit. I see a bit of casual googling turns up loads of crap, I can see why your asking. I'll do a journal search at work and have a go at doing a napkin calculation.

yes , im talking about simple earth mars journey with no time pressure based on hoffmans transfer.Neglection the escape velocity of earth, we can assume the unmanned aircraft rotating in earths orbit around the sun.From there , with two velocity increments , it can be transferred to the orbit around mars.If so what would be those velocity increments.(im just doing some theoretical work on the same and would love to have your inputs )
Don't be lazy, just wiki "hoffman's transfer" and plug in the numbers, the formula is already there.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm is this a home work question? Lack of context and how it structured implies yes.

If you are after the velocity required with instant velocity (ie unrealistic) then it is a simple application of the Hohman (as the new texts call it) orbit formula which is really just the conservation of energy.

Remember your changing orbits around the sun.

It however isn't the ideal equation to calculate interplanetary travel because it doesn't take in effect all of the factors that realistically happen.

crazydevil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmm is this a home work question? Lack of context and how it structured implies yes.

If you are after the velocity required with instant velocity (ie unrealistic) then it is a simple application of the Hohman (as the new texts call it) orbit formula which is really just the conservation of energy.

Remember your changing orbits around the sun.

It however isn't the ideal equation to calculate interplanetary travel because it doesn't take in effect all of the factors that realistically happen.
.Ive been reading a little bit about interplanetary orbital transfers in MIT opencourse materials and juz want wanted to calculate theoretically the velocity increments needed for the transfer.I did some vague calculations and got first velcoity increment from orbit of earth around the sun to elliptcal orbit around the sun as 2.9km/s and then to an orbit of mars around the sun as 2.6km/sec(talking into consideration only the conservation of energy).But couldnt find any source to verify my answers.Further i want to add practcality into this theoretical speed to arrive at final speed required and would be great if you guyz could help me out:)

Sandhi Yudha

Oke boys, today Mars Science Laboratory will land on the surface of Mars. It will be about 2 hours from now.....cant wait until we receive the first data and pictures.....

For more info and updates:
Mars Science Laboratory

Sandhi Yudha

In just three days two space probes were inserted in orbit into Mars, the American Maven (22 September) and two days later the Indian Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM), also called Mangalyaan (24 September).

Maven's mission goals include determining how the Martian atmosphere and water, presumed to have once been substantial, were lost over time.

MOM has two objectives, first as a technology demonstrator, because its India's first space probe to Mars, and the secondary objective is to explore Mars' surface features, morphology, mineralogy and Martian atmosphere using indigenous scientific instruments. A great job done by the Indians, specially if you look to the quite young history of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).

NASA's Newest Mars Mission Spacecraft Enters Orbit around Red Planet -- ScienceDaily
India's First Mars Probe Makes Historic Red Planet Arrival

Hopefully these probes can finish their missions and provide us a lot of new information and knowledge.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Yes, just visit some other forums where many comments either thrashing Indian achievements or just questioning why a 'poor' third world nation (neglecting India economy size), put so much money on this space program , not on social and poverty eradication.

This is great achievements for India, why some people simply can not accept that, is beyond me. They manage to send Mars orbiter for the first time and first try, with much cheaper budget than everybody else Mars budget. If that not great achievements for some people, then I don't know what to say.

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Good! Now the ISRO can beg their officials for funds for more missions to Mars (ignoring potentially more productive mission areas) every two years (coincidentally, just within those officials' re-election pattern) just like NASA does./cynicism

Though, honestly, good on the ISRO and kudos for their accomplishment.

Sandhi Yudha

The ExoMars Trace Gas Orbiter (TGO) and Schiaparelli lander were launched on 14 March 2016. In october 2016 the TGO entered Martian orbit, sadly the Schiaparelli lander crashed on Mars after collecting 600Mb of data.

The second part of the ExoMars programme was planned to be launched in July 2020, but the bad news is that the launch is postponed until 2022.

Sandhi Yudha

The Emirates Mars Missions is a planned Mars orbiting mission. The launch of the Hope space probe is scheduled during a launch window starting from 14 July 2020.

The lauch was initially planned for yesterday 14 july, but because of bad weather, moved backwards to friday 17 july 2020. Slecht weer vertraagt ambitieuze Marsmissie Verenigde Arabische Emiraten

Sandhi Yudha

Sandhi Yudha

After UAE's al-Amal, two more mars probes will be sent to Mars this month: the chinese Tianwen-1 (planned for 23 juli) and the american Mars 2020, includes the Perseverance rover with a planned launch on 30 July 2020 at 11:50 UTC.

The Tianwen-1 will be the second one this year, and it seems it will be very soon, maybe even tomorrow.

Sandhi Yudha

China's Tianwen-1 Mars rover rockets away from Earth
By Jonathan Amos
BBC Science Correspondent
  • 23 July 2020

Media captionCheers could be heard as China's big Long March 5 rocket sent the Tianwen-1 mission on its way
China has launched its first rover mission to Mars.
The six-wheeled robot, encapsulated in a protective probe, was lifted off Earth by a Long March 5 rocket from the Wenchang spaceport on Hainan Island at 12:40 local time (04:40 GMT).

It should arrive in orbit around the Red Planet in February.
Called Tianwen-1, or "Questions to Heaven", the rover won't actually try to land on the surface for a further two to three months.

This wait-and-see strategy was used successfully by the American Viking landers in the 1970s. It will allow engineers to assess the atmospheric conditions on Mars before attempting what will be a hazardous descent.
Tianwen-1 is one of three missions setting off to Mars in the space of 11 days.

On Monday, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) launched its Hope satellite towards the Red Planet. And in a week from now, the US space agency (Nasa) aims to despatch its next-generation rover, Perseverance

Complete article at China's Mars rover rockets away from Earth