Malaysian Army/Land forces discussions

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
You mean T-90 and not Type 90 don't you? ;)

Type 90 would be the Japanese one which, oh wonder :D , looks very similar to a Leopard II A4.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
You mean T-90 and not Type 90 don't you? ;)

Type 90 would be the Japanese one which, oh wonder :D , looks very similar to a Leopard II A4.
Oh crap - with all the T and different type designations flying around between Russia and China, then japan had further complicate things using the Type designation.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Yeah, they should have agreed on different signatures in the past.

Would make our lives much easier. :D

Zzims

The hull is a little bit uparmored and the turret is the same like of the T-72M1 + the polish ERA modules.

But the weak basic armor remains. And I have doubts that the ERA modules can solve the whole problem.
Arent the Pt's suppose to function in forested area? I doubt any other MBT with this weight class has better armour or much else Advance armour.

qwerty223

The hull is a little bit uparmored and the turret is the same like of the T-72M1 + the polish ERA modules.

They installed also a new FCS, TI, laser warning system and a fire surpression system.

But that is purely for the polish version. So it doesn't is NATO standard which is one of the reasons for us giving them Leo IIA4.

The malayan PT-91M are much more upgraded and received more and better upgrades:

- French FCS + 3rd gen TI (Savan 15)
- electric turret drive (EADS EPS 72-Albatross)
- tracks with rubber pads by Diehl
- hydrostatic automatic drive (ESM 350M)
- new gun (2A46MS)
- independent commanders optic (Vigy 15)
- SOTAS-intercom (Thales)
- RRC 9500 radio (Thales, produced under license in Poland)
- S-100R diesel engine with 1000hp

But the weak basic armor remains. And I have doubts that the ERA modules can solve the whole problem.
FCS part is quite confusing, some said SAVAN-20.
Not sure about armor too, but in front of modern ammunition, armor give me no confidence:unknown

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Arent the Pt's suppose to function in forested area? I doubt any other MBT with this weight class has better armour or much else Advance armour.
Even when comparing T-90 or T-80 to it.

T-90 weight = 46,500 kg
T-80 weight = 45,500 kg
Throw in the Ukrainian T-84 which is, under much debate the best Eastern tank has a weight of 46,000kg

All these tanks will perform just as good as the PT-91M.

Zzims

Even when comparing T-90 or T-80 to it.

T-90 weight = 46,500 kg
T-80 weight = 45,500 kg
Throw in the Ukrainian T-84 which is, under much debate the best Eastern tank has a weight of 46,000kg

All these tanks will perform just as good as the PT-91M.
Was there any particular reason T-84 wasnt chosen? I'm rather fond of it xD

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Price reasons.

As long as I know both T-90S and T-84 both performed better and even the CV90120 was in the race but finally Poland made the best offer.
And T-90 and T-84 both borke down during mobility tests with the CV90120 not participating due to technical problems.

As for protection.

The named T-90, T-80 and T-84 give you a better protection with also not much weight for a MBT.

And the key is ground pressure. The Leopard II A4 has a 9kg advantage over the PT-91 with 85kg/cm² against 94kg/cm². So even if upgraded the Leo has not more problems at soft terrain and when remaining in the A4 version it is even better suited for soft ground.

Also the power to weight ratio of the Leo is better.
I don't think that the Leo has more problems in the jungle than the PT-91.
Only some bridges can be a problem due to more overall weight.

Firepower

When I look at how german DM33 entered the turret of T-72M1 and left it at the back I would also not be very optimistic about the protection of the PT-91M against the neighbouring Leopard IIA4s.
The basic turret armor of the T-72M1 and PT-91M is the same. Even ERAWA-2 is not that effective to give it enough protection.

On the other side I would also not be that optimistic about Singapore's Leos to be able to withstand a hit of the PT-91M.

If they buy the right ammo the new 2A46MS should be able to go against the Leo's armor or at least it would be a close run.

If Singapore decides to upgrade the Leos Malaysia has a problem.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It is difficult to get infos about Chinese tanks. The question is if the Type 80 which is the predecessor of the Type 90 really has a T-72 chassis.
I thought that it has some similarities but it is not really a T-72 chassis. During the time it has bee developed the Sovjets did not export tech to China and so they had to develop one of their own. The similarities come from their already existing knowledge of russian designs.

The russian T-90 on the other hand definitely has the T-72 as base.

isthvan

It is difficult to get infos about Chinese tanks. The question is if the Type 80 which is the predecessor of the Type 90 really has a T-72 chassis.
I thought that it has some similarities but it is not really a T-72 chassis. During the time it has bee developed the Sovjets did not export tech to China and so they had to develop one of their own. The similarities come from their already existing knowledge of russian designs.

AFAIK type80/88 is further development of type79(similar to t-62) with new wheel arrangement(five large road wheels were replaced with six smaller road wheels with three track rollers) and it doesn't have T-72 chassis...

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

The Type 90 does have a T-72 chassis with a engine pac layout of a T-80 series, it looks like they tried to get the best of both worlds which is funny because the engine on the T-80 has always been a weak point as far as reliability issues, until Ukraine came along and offered a pretty good diesel engine pac for the T-84, which is what the Al-Khalid has.:)

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Price reasons.

As long as I know both T-90S and T-84 both performed better and even the CV90120 was in the race but finally Poland made the best offer.
And T-90 and T-84 both borke down during mobility tests with the CV90120 not participating due to technical problems.

As for protection.

The named T-90, T-80 and T-84 give you a better protection with also not much weight for a MBT.

And the key is ground pressure. The Leopard II A4 has a 9kg advantage over the PT-91 with 85kg/cm² against 94kg/cm². So even if upgraded the Leo has not more problems at soft terrain and when remaining in the A4 version it is even better suited for soft ground.

Also the power to weight ratio of the Leo is better.
I don't think that the Leo has more problems in the jungle than the PT-91.
Only some bridges can be a problem due to more overall weight.

Firepower

When I look at how german DM33 entered the turret of T-72M1 and left it at the back I would also not be very optimistic about the protection of the PT-91M against the neighbouring Leopard IIA4s.
The basic turret armor of the T-72M1 and PT-91M is the same. Even ERAWA-2 is not that effective to give it enough protection.

On the other side I would also not be that optimistic about Singapore's Leos to be able to withstand a hit of the PT-91M.

If they buy the right ammo the new 2A46MS should be able to go against the Leo's armor or at least it would be a close run.

If Singapore decides to upgrade the Leos Malaysia has a problem.
Well put - and yes Singapore has better options for upgrade packages in armor protection levels, PT-91M is pretty much at it`s limits due to it`s size where the LEO`s have plenty of room.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe Singapore should have gone the same way like Denmark did.

They bought surplus Leopard IIA4 and upgraded them directly to their A5DK version.

Maybe Singapore will do the same in the future.

As you said the PT-91M reached the limit of its upgrades while Singapore could pick what it wants out of the Leopard IIA6EX and PSO packages which are the ones of which possible customers can chose their favorite upgrades.

BTW, is training support in Poland included in the buy of the PT-91?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

They bought surplus Leopard IIA4 and upgraded them directly to their A5DK version.

As you said the PT-91M reached the limit of its upgrades while Singapore could pick what it wants out of the Leopard IIA6EX and PSO packages which are the ones of which possible customers can chose their favorite upgrades.

I would think that they would make training part of the package deal along with support, if the Poles don`t, you know the Ukrainians will be more than happy to lend a helping hand.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Malaysian Defense Planners would buy more Twardy's? Rather see an Al-Khalid moving in a Parade. But a Twardy's is just as nice.One question seeing T-84 and Pt-91 is made from almost the same region, wouldnt it be possible for a T-84 tropical version/ Malaysian version?
Here is a few pictures of Polands iron chariot.

qwerty223

Well according to PAP, the first batch of three, not sure if it includes the first prototype, will stay at Poland some time for training purposes.

taomao

it doesnt matter what they have , the malays dont have the guts to fight , unless they re finding the chinese in singapor or some other neighboring country