LM/USN RE-DESIGNATE LRDR AS AN/SPY 7 (V) 1

Calculus

Capability wise, I don't think there is enough information in the public domain to make an informed decision.
Agree, but that's the thing. The RCN doesn't make decisions based on what is known in the public domain. They would have been given extensive technical briefings on all these systems by the various vendors during the competition, and may even have modeled them (they have this capability). They chose the SPY-7, and I don't think it was because of political interference or any such thing. That competition was the most scrutinized military procurement in the history of Canada, and favoritism would not have been tolerated. In fact, using that argument, Thales with APAR should have won, given that radar has a large Canadian component. So, I still think the RCN chose SPY-7 because they believe it is the best of those systems.

DAVID DUNLOP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agree, but that's the thing. The RCN doesn't make decisions based on what is known in the public domain. They would have been given extensive technical briefings on all these systems by the various vendors during the competition, and may even have modeled them (they have this capability). They chose the SPY-7, and I don't think it was because of political interference or any such thing. That competition was the most scrutinized military procurement in the history of Canada, and favoritism would not have been tolerated. In fact, using that argument, Thales with APAR should have won, given that radar has a large Canadian component. So, I still think the RCN chose SPY-7 because they believe it is the best of those systems.
Agree Calculus. The SPY 7 (V) 1 seems to be a great choice for the RCN however I would still like to compare it to the Australian Hunter/Hobart CEAFAR2. Think I will do just that and report back to all (with quotes of course). Cheers!

Black Jack Shellac

I just stumbled on this video from Indra discussing the sensor suite they are installing on the F110. One of the items mentioned is a new radar being implemented with LM (the SPY-7, but the vid was out before this designation). Indra has a contract with LM to supply the radar.

What caught my eye is the X-band radar is going to be Prisma-25X. It appears that Indra is developing this product. But I haven't found any other information on it (yet).

Overall I liked the vid, I wish I could find similar from LM or MDA for the CSC.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I just stumbled on this video from Indra discussing the sensor suite they are installing on the F110. One of the items mentioned is a new radar being implemented with LM (the SPY-7, but the vid was out before this designation). Indra has a contract with LM to supply the radar.

What caught my eye is the X-band radar is going to be Prisma-25X. It appears that Indra is developing this product. But I haven't found any other information on it (yet).

Overall I liked the vid, I wish I could find similar from LM or MDA for the CSC.
What Video?

DAVID DUNLOP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hi BJS. Yes, this is the Prisma 25 X Band radar going on the Spanish Frigate, but it is not the one going on the CSC Frigate as this one is rectangular and not square as the radar on the CSC is, just below the SPY 7 (V) 1 S-Band radar. Still have no idea from MDA or LM what this radar is and probably will not know until the CSC design is completed. Cheers!