Japan, Koreas, China and Taiwan regional issues

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Talks online says the suspect is a local, Japanese man, Former Self Defense Force soldier. If you saw the video of the shooting, he may have been using DIY blackpowder seeing how much smoke after the shot.
Yep it was quite smoky. Did remind me of the time that I fired a replica Kentucky Long Rifle and the smoke that was issued from the rifle.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
FXHz8GGVUAAF9HS.jpg

This is already circulated, I believe it is taken from NHK video frame. Yes the guy is ex JSDF serviceman. Quite surprising turn out, as many of ex JSDF serviceman are having right wing leaning, while Abe being considered as Right Wing champion in Japan.

This will open much speculation, as what NHK put (also in same link Ngati posted, link above just an update), this apearence in Nara only decided Yesterday and only circulating toward LDP main supporter group.

Add:

The video in this Twitter some how manage to stand still when the shoot occurred. Seems the first shoot got someone else (Japan media talk a woman), the second shoot that got Abe.

Last edited:

Arji

Japanese media has reported that Shinzo Abe is confirmed dead. It's kind of jarring, I don't think I ever see an assassination of a high profile politician in all my life. Never expected to ever see something like this ever, not from a country like Japan no less.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Yes it is already confirmed in NHK. The prognosis never been good considering they already talk few hours ago, that his vital signs can not be read anymore.

Agree, I just watch Japanese drama few months ago talking about assasination atempt to a minister in Netflix. Not thinking reality can happen in Japan.

koxinga

I had a good view of the bodyguards (SP) reaction from the videos. I am by no means an expert but the closest bodyguards should be shielding him and exfil, not running towards the threat. Usually there are separate teams (counter assault) responsible for threat neutralisation.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
41 year old Yamagami Tetsuya is the assassin and he harboured a grudge against Abe. He is a resident of Nara and served in the JMSDF from 2002 - 2005. It was a deliberate killing because he has told the police that he shot to kill. I would hope that he gets an invite to meet the hangman.

Japan's former PM Abe Shinzo shot, confirmed dead | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

swerve

Super Moderator
Mrs S recognised the place. We've both been there: not just to Nara, but that specific place. Adds to the shock a bit. She's finding it hard to get her head round. Such things don't happen in Japan, especially not in places like Nara. The biggest danger there is usually the deer in the park getting a bit too pushy when begging for food. Of course, that's why the security crew were taken by surprise.

The killer seems to have been determined, even making his own gun. Looks like a short double-barrel shotgun. I'd think it hard to shoot accurately with it except at close range.

koxinga

Analysis of the home made weapons used or made by the assassin.

koxinga

You will not find this on Western media yet but the motives of Tetsuya Yamagami has been speculated (by domestic Japanese media) to being disgruntled with Abe's relationship with Family Federation for World Peace and Unification or otherwise known as the Unification Church.

Apparently, the suspect's mother lost most of her fortune to the Church and he has been holding a grudge against them. He saw Abe as a soft target when he found it difficult to hit the Church.

@koxinga A lot of this is just speculation in the media at the moment so if they want to speculate, that's their choice but we'll leave it there and for the gossip columns. This is not the place so we'll wait until something official comes from the investigation team or the Court trial.

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandhi Yudha

You will not find this on Western media yet but the motives of Tetsuya Yamagami has been speculated (by domestic Japanese media) to being disgruntled with Abe's relationship with Family Federation for World Peace and Unification or otherwise known as the Unification Church.

Apparently, the suspect's mother lost most of her fortune to the Church and he has been holding a grudge against them. He saw Abe as a soft target when he found it difficult to hit the Church.

@koxinga A lot of this is just speculation in the media at the moment so if they want to speculate, that's their choice but we'll leave it there and for the gossip columns. This is not the place so we'll wait until something official comes from the investigation team or the Court trial.

Ngatimozart.
True, specially in the beginning period are the wildest rumors
This Greek news channel is even telling that Hideo Kojima is the suspect.

Last edited:

swerve

Super Moderator

Ngatimozart.
My wife told me about that press speculation.

koxinga

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Ah ..my wife told me about it as well. So we have the same "domestic" source!

But it is out on yahoo jp and on jp social media. This tweet in English provides an good summary on the sensitive of the issue (links with LDP, worries about discrimination)

@ngatimozart no problem. As it stands, it is not confirmed by the government.

I understand that wives are the fountain of all knowledge and it is highly detrimental to attempt to overrule or ignore them :eek:

Vivendi

China insists that Taiwan historically is part of China. However, the evidence seems less than compelling to me, after reading this article: Is Taiwan Part of China? - Defending Taiwan
Some quotes:
The Kangxi emperor—the Qing dynasty’s third—assumed the throne in 1661, at age 6. He and the regents operating in his name sought to uproot the coastal population of mainland China, but it was not until 1683 that they forced Taiwan into submission. There followed a debate in the Qing court about what to do next. Admiral Shi wanted to fortify Taiwan to prevent a Dutch return. Other courtiers counseled abandoning the island altogether. “Taiwan is nothing but an isolated island on the sea far away from China, it has long since been a hideout of pirates, escaped convicts, deserters and ruffians, therefore, there is nothing to gain from retaining it,” one report read.20 The Qing deployed many of Koxinga’s troops instead to northern China to counter Russian encroachment.
Long before Chinese authorities showed any interest in Taiwan, Portuguese sailors did. Their attention, however, was short-lived. Portugal’s motivation was, like that of many other European powers, less conquest for its own sake but rather enrichment. Here, the prize was trade with mainland China. As the Portuguese consolidated control over and ultimately settled in Macao, they lost interest in investment in the more distant Taiwan.
Finally, in 1624, the Dutch East India Company came to an agreement with Fujian’s governor, Shang Zhouzuo, for the Dutch to leave the Pescadores Islands, with the Ming in exchange recognizing Dutch ownership of Taiwan. The logic of the bargain was telling. Foreign presence in the Pescadores threatened the Ming. Taiwan, however, was too distant and barbarous to be their concern.
The French ultimately withdrew, but Japanese interest grew. In 1894, Chinese and Japanese troops faced off in Korea; Japanese forces prevailed. In the resulting Treaty of Shimonoseki, China ceded claims to both Taiwan and the Pescadores Islands “in perpetuity.”27 That Japanese control would continue through World War II, and it continues to imprint itself deeply on Taiwanese culture and society.

Put another way, Taiwan’s separation from China occurred a half century before the dissolution of most of the British and French Empires. From a Taiwanese standpoint, the notion of returning to Beijing’s control would be akin to Australia, which gained its independence in 1901, returning to the direct control of the United Kingdom or Algeria, which gained its independence from France in 1962, again becoming a French department. Every nation that colonized Taiwan left an imprint that, over the years, amplified Taiwan’s differences with mainland Chinese culture, especially as Western powers and Japan sought to modernize the country in ways different from the mainland’s development.
In a 1936 interview with journalist and author Edgar Snow, Mao treated Taiwan as distinct from China. “It is the immediate task of China to regain all our lost territories, not merely to defend our sovereignty below the Great Wall,” he said.
We do not, however, include Korea, formerly a Chinese colony, but when we have re-established the independence of the lost territories of China, and if the Koreans wish to break away from the chains of Japanese imperialism, we will extend them our enthusiastic help in their struggle for independence. The same thing applies to Formosa.
@Vivendi
You put up lots of quotes but very little origin input from yourself. If it was a single quote yes, maybe even two, but the whole post bar one line is composed of quotes from one article. This is very poor and you have been on here long enough to know better. If I was marking this as an assignment you'd get an F-, make that and F, because I'd give you a mark for spelling your name correctly. Because of this generous mark and I am in a good mood I am not going to you in the naughty boys corner. However no pudding for three nights. Your pudding goes to @Preceptor, who always gets naughty boys pudding.

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

swerve

Super Moderator
Taiwan wasn't considered part of China before the Qing conquest, though Chinese migrants had settled in coastal areas. Ming troops fled to Taiwan to establish a base, & but for that the Qing would probably have ignored it. It was officially part of Fujian from when the Qing conquered it, but they weren't really interested in the place. They saw it as a potential rebel holdout & tried to limit Chinese settlement for a long time. When the Japanese took it much was still ungoverned by China, the indigenous people having been pushed out of the fertile lowlands but still holding most of the uplands & east coast, & that's a very large proportion of the island.

The general Chinese attitude to it seemed to be to object to foreign control or bases, but otherwise be happy to leave it alone.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 1 of 4: Pelosi to visit Taiwan on 2-3 Aug 2022

1. Americans, like Pelosi, think that all that matters is their domestic agenda. In reality, the 4 countries she visits have agency & will not take kindly of stupidity in int’l relations. IMO, the PLA is not going to attack aircraft or invade Taiwan over her visit in 2022.

2. Pelosi & Taiwan is trending but they fail to notice that Nancy Pelosi’s delegation, in her visit to Singapore & Malaysia, she also met with:

(a) Singapore’s expert on China, Teo Chee Hean; &​

(b) Singapore’s next Prime Minister, Lawrence Wong.​

3. After her meetings in Singapore on day 1 of her multi-country trip, Pelosi will have lunch with leaders in Malaysia on day 2 before flying to Taipei. After her overnight in Taipei, her delegation will visit both Korea and Japan.

4. On day 2, Nancy Pelosi’s upcoming visit to Taipei has become a totally unnecessary test of wills, with Taiwanese or American troops having to go on alert for long periods, as China demonstrates its resolve. Let me add my 3 counterpoints to the many strange takes on Pelosi’s visit to Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan, Korea & Japan:

(a) Zero probability of war with China.​
(b) Low probability of serious incident, with real risk of miscalculation.​
(c) Low benefit of Pelosi’s visit for Taiwan.​

5. The PLA wants to demonstrate resolve without creating a VICIOUS cycle of escalation. Given that the military exercises will be weeks long, this has the potential for miscalculation.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 2 of 4: Pelosi to visit Taiwan on 2-3 Aug 2022

6. Not all commentary on Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan is accurate and some carry zero insight. There are also significant USN carriers, submarines & other US assets postured in the vicinity to assist the PLA in avoiding miscalculation.

7. In 2004, China also opposed then DPM Lee Hsien Loong’s visit to Taiwan too & we also politely told them, we will not allow China to interfere with Singapore affairs.

8. Singapore has not backed down — despite Chinese pressure to cease military training in Taiwan but we do have a plan B, with Australia. Our 9 Terrex ICVs were returned by HK & this episode has resulted in:

(a) the establishment of a Singaporean Fighter Training Detachment at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam;​
(b) Singapore joining the American imitated multi-national Artificial Intelligence Partnership for Defense in May 2021; &​
(c) Austin & Ng commitment to expand the role of the U.S.-Singapore partnership in maintaining regional stability, such as through increased exchanges & training opportunities for the region’s young defense leaders.​

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Part 3 of 4: Pelosi to visit Taiwan on 2-3 Aug 2022

7. If past is prologue, such efforts by Beijing may help demonstrate to a domestic audience that PRC is "teaching Taiwan a lesson." Some smart Americans will point out that these moves are likely to sour public opinion in Taiwan toward China; but at this point China no longer cares.

8. Against the backdrop of Pelosi's arrival in Taipei, there are several events in motion. Beijing has begun responding through economic measures against Taiwan. There also are reports of cyber operations directed against Taiwan. These are moves targeted at Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan.
(a) For Pelosi, this trip could be seen as capping off a long record as a China hawk and human rights advocate while she is still speaker – a position she may have to relinquish following November’s midterm legislative elections, in which the Democratic Party (to which she belongs) is expected to lose seats. In a TV interview, Josh Rogin said, "Pelosi want her legacy because she will no longer be the speaker after midterms." More importantly, the Taiwanese are in a tough spot, as they are ones who will have to pay the price, & will not benefit from the trip according to Rogin.​
(b) China has just banned the import of more than 100 Taiwanese food products, including very popular brands of titbits and biscuits, plus Taiwan was subject to an overseas cyber attack.​
(c) If desired, there is no doubt that the US military can protect a single unarmed aircraft; but can they protect every commercial aircraft in disputed air space? That’s something to think about given the shoot down of MH-17 (July 2014) & Korean Air Lines Flight 007 (Sep 1983).​
(d) Meanwhile, with #SPAR19 in Taiwan’s airspace/ADIZ, sources say that multiple Taiwanese fighter jets from various airbases have scrambled, to provide cover.​
(e) In a poll of nearly 7500 readers by the United Daily News website, 61% said the trip was “not welcome” as it “may destabilise the Taiwan Strait”. Only 38% welcomed the visit & said it had “more advantages than disadvantages”.​

9. Beijing will seek to show the Taiwanese that there are risks and consequences for relying on US. And this is a domestic optics win for China & Asia is watching — 杀鸡儆猴 (kill the chicken to scare the monkey — an old Chinese idiom applies here). Given that the Americans will not compensate the Taiwanese for their losses or offer Taiwan a trade agreement.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

China has warned the US for serious consequences if chairwoman of the Congres Pelosi visits Taiwan.

But the US government plane carrying Pelosi (SPAR19) was flying over Indonesia heading east and suddenly a couple of hours ago it was swinging north towards Taiwan.

Live update:
She just landed in Taiwan, the 737 variant C-40C has tailnumber 90540.

Last edited: