Japan Air Self-Defence Force

76mmGuns

Bit surprised Japan bought the US tanker. It's got a few problems. 6 category 1 problems.

swerve

Super Moderator
Bit surprised Japan bought the US tanker. It's got a few problems. 6 category 1 problems.
Politics, politics, politics & already having KC-767s, for a start.

Japan's default choice of a foreign supplier for anything military is the USA. A lot of Japanese (& I suspect that includes quite a few politicians) assume that anything American is superior to anything else, or even that only the USA can supply anything high-tech.

That's quite a barrier to overcome: buying non-US has to get past a lot of skeptical people.

And given that Japan already has a lot of US-made/designed stuff, & militarily works closely with the USA & hardly at all with anyone else (the no weapons exports policy always had an exemption for the USA, for example, though in practice this has only been used to allow joint developments AFAIK), there are logistical & in many cases potential operational advantages to buying American.

Sandhi Yudha

Japan has decided to proceed with the F-15JSI (Japan Super Interceptor) upgrade program by allocating funds for the program in next year’s budget.

NHK reports that the final price of the program is now agreed at $3,5 billion after negotiations with the Americans.

Tokyo will drop the integration of the LRASM on the Japanese Eagle in order to reduce costs.

Japan’s modernization program, for which the U.S. State Department approved sales in 2019, will see up to 98 of its 200-strong fleet F-15J/DJ fighters upgraded to Japan-specific Advanced Eagles and it had initially a cost of $4,5 billion. As we can see here:

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

On 31 January 2022 at around 17:30 hrs LT, the Koku Jieitai / Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) lost an F-15DJ Eagle operated by the Hiko Kyodogun (Agressor Group) from Komatsu Air Base near Kanazawa in the Ishikawa Prefecture, in the center part of Japan.
It is reported that both pilots are still missing.

The agressor unit has/had nine F-15DJ Eagles and one Kawasaki T-4 in their inventory. The cause of the accident is under investigation.

Last edited:

Musashi_kenshin

68 F-15Js are to be upgraded to Super Interceptors. Probably reasonable given the majority of the F-15J fleet is being replaced by the F-35. The reference to the "integration of long-range stand-off missiles" suggests they will be able to operate JASSM after speculation as to whether or not it had been cut alongside LRASM.

swerve

Super Moderator
A lot of Japan's F-15s are old. Presumably that's how many they think have enough life left to be worth upgrading.

Musashi_kenshin

JASSM has been (officially) confirmed as part of the upgrade.

It also appears that internal discussions continue over 34 other F-15Js that have received the MSIP upgrade. The remaining 99 F-15Js that haven't been upgraded will definitely be replaced by the F-35.

Musashi_kenshin

Japan is looking to buy five more E-2D Advanced Hawkeyes. It already has orders for 13, so this could bring the total up to 18, an increase from the 13 E-2Cs currently in service that will be replaced at the end of the decade.

This is a positive increase in Japan's AEW&C capabilities, both in terms of aircraft numbers and quality.

telpher

telpher

Japan's default choice of a foreign supplier for anything military is the USA. A lot of Japanese (& I suspect that includes quite a few politicians) assume that anything American is superior to anything else, or even that only the USA can supply anything high-tech.

That's quite a barrier to overcome: buying non-US has to get past a lot of skeptical people.
About this, I think I should speak a little...
Yes, JASDF clearly dislikes Europe (JASDF, not Japan. JMSDF purchases Euro-aircrafts/engines such as AW101, MT30, Spey SM1, and more).

Mainly reason is RR Adour engine on T-2/F-1.

I'm not claiming Adour is defective, but it is true that there were significant problems in the operation of JASDF.
Adour had a traumatic impact on JASDF and is the source of the distrust of European manifactures that continues to this day. This is also the reason why European engines were ignored during development of F-2.
(If anyone is interested, I will try to write more about this)

Redlands18

About this, I think I should speak a little...
Yes, JASDF clearly dislikes Europe (JASDF, not Japan. JMSDF purchases Euro-aircrafts/engines such as AW101, MT30, Spey SM1, and more).

Mainly reason is RR Adour engine on T-2/F-1.

I'm not claiming Adour is defective, but it is true that there were significant problems in the operation of JASDF.
Adour had a traumatic impact on JASDF and is the source of the distrust of European manifactures that continues to this day. This is also the reason why European engines were ignored during development of F-2.
(If anyone is interested, I will try to write more about this)
They suck with the GE F110-129 for the F-2, deciding not to go to a whole engine, they made enough changes over the baseline F-16, why complicate matters even further by going to a European engine as well?

telpher

I'm talking about the model selection phase of F-2.
Only GE and P&W were approached to supply engines that were to be installed in domestic aircraft proposed by MHI and KHI.

They suck with the GE F110-129 for the F-2, deciding not to go to a whole engine,
I have not heard about this.
Is the F110-IHI-129 not just a licensed production model? Have any modifications been made to it?

Redlands18

I'm talking about the model selection phase of F-2.
Only GE and P&W were approached to supply engines that were to be installed in domestic aircraft proposed by MHI and KHI.

I have not heard about this.
Is the F110-IHI-129 not just a licensed production model? Have any modifications been made to it?
Sorry you are correct, it was the IH licence built version of the F110-129, but still basically the same engine. You are not going to change the engine without a very good reason, though they did switch to the P&W F100-229 for the Block 52 F-16, but that model was too late for the F-2.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Got this video from YouTube frm seems Japanese freelance in DSEI 2023 of Japan, UK dn Italian GCAP (Global Combat Air Program). Seems this is what Tempest (or Tempest derive design) now being call. The video shown presentation that note this GCAP is for F2 and Typhoon replacement.

Sandhi Yudha