Indonesian Aero News

Sandhi Yudha

This
Event though it will be not easy as they have already had similar type of airplane, but at least DI has possibility to export N 219 to China market. The plane can also be sold into Mexico.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jakarta. Indonesia plans to sell its locally produced N219, a 19-seater propeller airplane manufactured by state-owned aerospace company Dirgantara Indonesia, to China and Mexico, taking advantage of airworthiness agreements Indonesia has signed with both countries.

China and Indonesia signed a bilateral agreement in 2000 that allows any aircraft certified in one country to fly over the other country's territory and vice versa. Indonesia will sign a similar agreement with Mexico on Friday (10/17), Agus Santoso, the director general of air transportation at the Transportation Ministry, said on Monday.

This is actually very old news from around 4 years ago.
I think its also not such a good idea to export the N219 to china. They will maybe order two N219 or something to 'evaluate it', and then some years later they come with an "100% own designed small twin turboprop" which looks very similar to Indonesia's N219.

And as a payback Indonesia will be certainly forced to buy chinese trash like the Xian MA-60 or Comac ARJ-21 Xiangfeng....

Lets see if IPTN can produce sufficient aircrafts each year for the domestic demand.

Last edited:

Ahmad

Black Box of Sriwijaya plane which was crushed about a week ago is opened and being analyzed in Indonesia by The National Transportation Safety Committee (NTSC, Indonesian: Komite Nasional Keselamatan Transportasi, KNKT; ).

Ahmad

I would say IndoDefense event will likely be postpone into at least September this year by seeing the current national and international Covid 19 infection rate and the fear of British Covid strain possible spreading within our islands. Putting the event in the second semester of 2021 would also bring more good for our defense industry global promotion effort IMO since Black Eagle MALE UCAV is predicted to have had its maiden flight already in the first semester. This drone will likely become our icon in the event, particularly if the possible maiden flight in this year first semester is regarded as successful.

Last edited:

Ahmad

The money being put in the 2021 defense budget for F-5 replacement is considered by me and I believe many Indonesian as down payment for SU 35 as we have already signed a contract with the Russian despite hasnt been effective yet. I would say they put the money because of being optimistic about Biden expected behavior toward Indonesia regarding CATSA, which is predicted to be much softer than Trump and similar with how they treat India.

As this news below suddenly come up, the previous positive expectation will likely turn into grim. I would rather say there is high possibility that the government will not proceed with that ordering plan yet. The government will wait first and seek Biden approval before the ordering plan of SU 35 is executed. I also suggest goverment to wait first. If Biden refuses to give waiver, then we may try to seek other possible source. Asking US to give another free second hand F 16 and refurbish and upgrade them could be the next possible option if Austrian Eurofighter is not cheap enough, but I am still happy if gov dont buy any fighter until their period is over and wait for KFX/IFX fighter instead.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

The money being put in the 2021 defense budget for F-5 replacement is considered by me and I believe many Indonesian as down payment for SU 35 as we have already signed a contract with the Russian despite hasnt been effective yet. I would say they put the money because of being optimistic about Biden expected behavior toward Indonesia regarding CATSA, which is predicted to be much softer than Trump and similar with how they treat India.

As this news below suddenly come up, the previous positive expectation will likely turn into grim. I would rather say there is high possibility that the government will not proceed with that ordering plan yet. The government will wait first and seek Biden approval before the ordering plan of SU 35 is executed. I also suggest goverment to wait first. If Biden refuses to give waiver, then we may try to seek other possible source. Asking US to give another free second hand F 16 and refurbish and upgrade them could be the next possible option if Austrian Eurofighter is not cheap enough, but I am still happy if gov dont buy any fighter until their period is over and wait for KFX/IFX fighter instead.

We will see what happen after 20 januari, or actually if something happen during this administration.

We can do two things.
1. Kneel, kiss their feet and obey the americans, to cancel the Su-35 acquisition and buy second hands F-16.
2. Think twice before ordering weaponsystems from an arrogant supplier who like to threat, embargo and blackmail its customers. Alternatives are the EF2000 and Rafale.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Before thinking that if India can get CAATSA waiver, then Indonesia can get too. Remember there's difference on Indonesian situation then India:

1. Military difference capabilities, thus it's matter on strategic consideration. The difference on Military capabilities between Indonesia and India is very huge. US can see India as potential partner to counter balance China movement in Indies on their own. Indonesia is not yet even there against China southern fleet in SCS.
2. This one is in my opinion can be the determine factor more than the first one. During Cold War, US use Pakistan as counter balance to India for South Asia region. They're keep engage with Indian, but if something happens and India choose siding more with USSR, they have Pakistan on that. One of the reasons why despite all the noise from US Political circles during Cold Wars on Pakistan nuclear development, they in the end more or less accept nuclear Pakistan. However this time around against China, they (US) seems already losing more and more Pakistan to China.

Despite that, I do agree with that article that's it will be very slim chance even Biden will give India waiver on CAATSA. CAATSA is something that Trump move that actually have bipartisan support. Biden also is harder against Putin compared to Trump. How US will explain to Turkey (their own NATO allies) if they give India waiver on S400, while they don't do that with Turks? By giving Turkey CAATSA sanction on S400, US practically already put themselves on point of no return.

I sometimes chuckled when reading Indian forumers on other forums and Indian media. As usual most of Indian forumers think highly of themselves. They think that US will give Indian waiver due to QUAD consideration. We're India and US have no choices to give us that waiver, cause in many Indian forumers US need India more than vice versa. It's very reminiscent on how Turkish forumers and media thinking on S400 threat from US.

Just like Erdo who's Muslim Nationalist, Modi also Hindu Nationalist which in the end will behave similar as Erdo on their own National interest. If US can set aside NATO consideration on CAATSA with Turkey, they also can potentially set aside this QUAD consideration on CAATSA with India.

Back to Indonesia, forgot the dillusional thinking that US will give waiver on CAATSA for Indonesia. They don't give it to Turkey, all indication also shown they will not give it to India. Those two are more important to US than Indonesia on defense consideration.

India so far asside S400 also argue that their defense assets are mostly Russian origin. Thus they can't put asside Russian as defense supplier. Indonesia on the other hand only buy some armoured from Russia for the Marines (which can be maintain alternatively with Ukraine) and some Flankers (which also can be maintain with Belarus and Ukraine). Thus what Indonesia arguments for new acquisition with Russia to avoid CAATSA?

Is Su-35 really worth for our defense toward potential disruption against US? Even if we're in the end decide still going with this IFX (which's Ahmad hope and dream), do you think Korea will jeopardize their relationship with US if Indonesia under US sanction? We can go with French or Eurofighter, if we want to spend much more as they're in the end will be much more expensive to procure and maintain compared to refurbished F-16 or F-16V. We can go with Algerian way, keep buying Russian assets, while still work with Italian and French on other assets. Still if Indonesia do that forgot co-op with US or assets that have a lot of US content like KFX.

Unless US put away CAATSA, then there's no chance whatsoever that US will give Indonesia waiver to procure Su-35. Biden will be more diplomatic on CAATSA then Trump. However Biden will take on his own possition, if he's put away CAATSA or even watering it down.

Last edited:

tonnyc

I disagree with the characterization that canceling the Su-35 means kneeling to America and kissing their feet. No. The Su-35 was an overpriced product and we were going to buy used F-16 anyway regardless of the Su-35.

I remember the Russian fanboys, some of which wear stars on their shoulders, arguing that Su-35 is better because it has two engines (oh wow!) and can do the Pugachev Cobra (double wow!!) and has thrust vectoring (I shall faint from the excitement!!!). No. We lose nothing if Su-35 is canceled. We lose nothing if used F-16 is bought.

Single engine fighters are fine. Heck, switch to Gripen E/F. Top Gun is just a movie. Ace Combat is just a game. We can't base a defense policy from Ace Combat and their single heroic pilot. What's important is getting sufficient number of fighters, networking them, and arming them with good missiles. Have them ready to fly at any moment and spread them out so there's some squadron nearby no matter which approach the OPFOR takes. Deep strike mission? Well, if we want to sink enemy capital ships, any of the modern multirole fighters can do it. If it's a bombing mission, dude, there is no point in bombing Darwin. Australia isn't a threat.

Admittedly since Indonesian Air Force already operates F-16 there is a good argument for simply sticking with that type. Just upgrade it to current standard.

And please nobody brings up that two supplier policy. That has been discussed many times before. It's a solved issue with multiple pathways of avoiding and mitigating it. One could make oneself so valuable as a partner that they don't want to boycott anything. See Israel and Egypt as examples. They aren't saints, but the US doesn't ever want to boycott them because they're too important. Alternatively, stockpile supplies and make the fast moving parts yourself. See Iran who managed to keep the F-14 flying for decades. We don't have to go that extreme. Five year is good enough. By then things will have moved enough that things should get smoothed out.

I don't mind the two supplier policy much, but it's not a must. It has significant disadvantages. If we switch to an all F-16 fighter fleet, that's A-OKAY. I think Gripen E/F would be better in the long run, but it's not like the F-16 is bad.

Sandhi Yudha

The Lembaga Kajian Pertahanan Strategis just shared this image. It seems to be the NASAMS.
Ive never seen decent quality photos or videos from an Indonesian NASAMS-installation, not even an official confirmation of receiving this system, so it really surprising that they put this image online.

Edit: there seems to be a whole video of it uploaded on the internet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ahmad

The Lembaga Kajian Pertahanan Strategis just shared this image. It seems to be the NASAMS.
Ive never seen decent quality photos or videos from an Indonesian NASAMS-installation, not even an official confirmation of receiving this system, so it really surprising that they put this image online.

That FB account look like being controlled by our official, they have given many sensitive information but they can still be active in FB.

Sandhi Yudha

That FB account look like being controlled by our official, they have given many sensitive information but they can still be active in FB.
Ive no idea about the people behind Lembaga Kajian Something. Its a little bit weird they only post of Fb, and that the videos do not appear on youtube or an official website.

tonnyc

Ive no idea about the people behind Lembaga Kajian Something. Its a little bit weird they only post of Fb, and that the videos do not appear on youtube or an official website.
As far as I know it's a bunch of hobbyists. They're earnest and put some time to making articles and videos and organizing webinars, but ultimately it's a hobby, not a full-time job and they're reliant on volunteer time among their own membership instead of paying professionals to handle things.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Just add something from Lembaga Kris FB. This supposedly exert from Presidential Decree number 8/21 on defense planning up to 2024.

Nothing much shown. Basically talking what already being talk in media for sometime. Like positioning TNI units on outer island, improving command structure (I suspect for more mobile development) and related to Air Defense (point 4) on strengthen Air Defense Zoning and Air Defense system. Plus additional Air Defense Assets.

Air Defense system can translate to more Radars, whether this translate to Land Based Radar Stations or Air Based ones, that's not clear yet. Additional Air Defense Assets can also translate to more robust missile defense systems, thus this can't be translate to all budget only for Fighters procurement.

One thing interesting on Naval development (point 3) is to strengthen defense and monitoring capabilities on ALKI routes (Sea Lanes open for International traffic). Thus all of this increase foreign power activities on ALKI seems getting more attention. Also it's put much emphasis on choke points defense, by sea assets and also land assets in the form on land based anti ship missile.

All of this actually has been talk in media several times. However by putting it in Presidential Decree, it's shown more intentions to put it on work.

Attachments

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Lembaga Kris FB put video on delivery of NAS 332 from PT. DI. NAS is code for AS 332 that build under license by DI. DI claim that this particular NAS 332 have more advance glass cockpit system some other modifications compare to older version of NAS 332.

I watch this particular order for NAS 332 with bit 'question' in my mind. What's the point of Government support for DI maintaining their Rotary Wing division (which presently only have NAS 332 as under license line), if they only put sporadic order. IPTN asside NAS 332 used to have Bell 412 and NBO 105 as their rotary wings production line. Now only NAS 332 line still being maintain.

Do they still want DI to maintain or even further develop their Rotary Wing production, or just turn DI as final installation and MRO just like their doing with Bell 412 and other Airbus Helicopters products. They should make decisions on that.

Last edited:

r0m8470

I found it fascinating that for some programs, the speed that these programs to move seems to be significantly quicker than others. The NASAMs purchase was kicked off only a few years ago, when the DCSA approval showed up, and now we start seeing some hardware being deployed in country, even though whether the hardware is complete or not is still up for debate (no actual missiles seen in the video). I wonder why that is?

On the opposite side, we have the saga of Su-35 procurement, that have evolved into Austrian Typhoon, potential Rafale, F-16V, or the combination of whatever the fighter flavor of the day is. Not to mention, all the theater regarding KFX-IFX, tanker procurement, etc. It seems like for everything involving major procurement, we need to grab a big bucket of popcorn and watch the show - so to speak. In all seriousness though, why is this thing so hard for Indonesia to execute? In the era where technology can facilitate transparency and speed of execution, the government seems to be stuck in the mud on executing or articulating coherent procurement strategy?

Sandhi Yudha

I found it fascinating that for some programs, the speed that these programs to move seems to be significantly quicker than others. The NASAMs purchase was kicked off only a few years ago, when the DCSA approval showed up, and now we start seeing some hardware being deployed in country, even though whether the hardware is complete or not is still up for debate (no actual missiles seen in the video). I wonder why that is?

On the opposite side, we have the saga of Su-35 procurement, that have evolved into Austrian Typhoon, potential Rafale, F-16V, or the combination of whatever the fighter flavor of the day is. Not to mention, all the theater regarding KFX-IFX, tanker procurement, etc. It seems like for everything involving major procurement, we need to grab a big bucket of popcorn and watch the show - so to speak. In all seriousness though, why is this thing so hard for Indonesia to execute? In the era where technology can facilitate transparency and speed of execution, the government seems to be stuck in the mud on executing or articulating coherent procurement strategy?
The Indonesian contract of the NASAMS ($ 77 million) was signed in the same period as the NASAMS contract from Lithuana ($ 130 million), around october 2017. But Lithuana received the NASAMS a half year earlier, so it is not that fast. But yes, compared to other defence procurements during Jokowi-era its much faster. One of the factors could be that the value is quite low.

About why you dont see any missiles, the contract was just for the NASAMS itself, for the actual operational air defence TNI-AU has to use its own stock of AIM-120C7s. And until now TNI-AU's stock consists of only 36 AIM-120C7, which have to be spread not only over the NASAMS launchers, but also the 33 F-16s.

. It seems like for everything involving major procurement, we need to grab a big bucket of popcorn and watch the show - so to speak. In all seriousness though, why is this thing so hard for Indonesia to execute?
As you can read it in the hundreds of posts shared during this current administration (starting in 2014), its all because of the lack of political willingness. All the big successful defence acquisitions are from SBY-era, but starting in 2014, its mostly empty talk.

Last edited:

Ahmad

Some KKIP officials recently visited IPTN and Pindad. They also took a look at the KFX-development program facility. Its just a visit, nothing more.
Not only a visit to KFX/IFX production facility but also they get more information from DI director and his team about the program status, development plan, and the hope from PTDI to handle maintenance and the upgrade of IFX plane (if the program is inshaAllah successful and Indonesia is still inside the program).

It is clear US doesnt want to sell their 5 generation fighter to Indonesia so it is why KFX/IFX program is very important for Indonesia. KFX/IFX block 2 is planned to be fully 5 generation fighter. China will use J 31 in their aircraft carrier while Australia will get around 100 F 35 soon.

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

Not only a visit to KFX/IFX production facility but also they get more information from DI director and his team about the program status, development plan, and the hope from PTDI to handle maintenance and the upgrade of IFX plane (if the program is inshaAllah successful and Indonesia is still inside the program).

It is clear US doesnt want to sell their 5 generation fighter to Indonesia so it is why KFX/IFX program is very important for Indonesia. KFX/IFX block 2 is planned to be fully 5 generation fighter. China will use J 31 in their aircraft carrier while Australia will get around 100 F 35 soon.
That is exactly what i mean, the KKIP-team only get some information and a wishlist during the visit.

And thats it. There is nowhere an announcement of cancellation or if Indonesia's participation will continue according the original plan (which includes payments of the 20% !).

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This's the Kompas Article on NAS 332 that being send to TNI-AU. As I mentioned in previous post, example of NAS 332 case shown how Indonesian defense procurement and Industrial planning, are not consistent. We see that in this administration first term, in this second term still need to be proven. Granted with COVID situation, as I have mentioned on other post on other thread, there will be no big defense deal until this administration can roll out comprehensive vaccination program. It will be too Political insensitive if they go with big program (including defense), before vaccination program role out comprehensively.

However this COVID situation also still not change Planning and Implementation behavior on MinDef defense practice yet. Granted some plan seems getting more 'dicipline' with budgeting preparation. Still just like this NAS 332 program, also shown disagreement between Armed Forces services on comprehensive implementation on Assets Simplified drive.

During Soeharto era, it's clear that any products that come from National defense Industry, will be the standard products across the services. NAS332 choose by AF and Navy, while Army choose NBell 412. Then after Soeharto fall, every services ask their own choosing. Why the need for Army looking on S-70i or Police looking for AW149, when DI already have license on similar product ?

This's just an example of planning conflicts that much influence by Service ego and "interest". With that in mind, then it's not surprising that any long term defense project can be distracted by changes in "opportunity".

Why buying production license on unproven product KFX (which's basically what you're as Junior Partner), if there's opportunity on licensing proven products like Rafale, Eurofighter or F-16V. How Korean as Senior Partner (and license owner) of KFX can see seriousness of Indonesia as Junior Partner, when it continue delay payment on financial excuse. In the same time Indonesia involve serious discussion for Procurement (with exessive ToT) with Rafale, one of the most expensive Fighter in the market today. The Korean will see the payment delay excuse as 'financial excuse my a**s'

All of this shown how Defense planning still mostly done by opportunity and not real step by step process. They'll still see what happens in neighborhood, and then decide what opportunities that they can take to fill the gap the soonest.

Good news is that MinDef (from what I heard from Bapenas source) seems are more discipline on provide more comprehensive planning and budgeting steps. However it's also doesn't mean they're already consistent thinking on long term. At most they're still looking in medium term, and after that see what opportunities will be available later. At least it's already improvement from only looking for short term opportunity.

Will see after COVID vaccination drive being implement, whether their (MinDef) project management will improve or not.

Last edited: