Indonesia: 'green water navy'

Sandhi Yudha

Indonesia selects electronic, anti-submarine warfare suite from Thales for Martadinata frigates | Jane's 360

Thales got more deal in Indonesian Navy Sigma based PKR Light Frigate. This again shown still Indonesian practise on launching ships as 'gradual work'.
Although these two 'frigates' are at the moment completely useless in a modern full scale war, with just a 76 mm main gun and two 20 mm guns, this news article above is a positive development.

Some other news.
Indonesia prepares to receive second Nagapasa-class submarine | Jane's 360

Indonesia prepares to receive second Nagapasa-class submarine
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - Jane's Navy International
08 April 2018
Key Points
  • The Indonesian Navy is preparing to bring its second South Korean-built submarine home
  • Service is on track to operate a class of two boats by 2018, with a third under construction in Surabaya

It seems they make sure that the second boat will arrive on time to be displayed on 5 October....

Sandhi Yudha

Indonesia acquires 57 mm naval gun for KCR-60M vessel

Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - Jane's Navy International
01 February 2018

Key Points
- The Indonesian Navy is awaiting delivery of a 57 mm gun for its lead KCR-60M vessel
- Service is also considering acquisition of Russian-made A-220M cannons for further boats in the class

Indonesia has acquired a new Bofors 57 Mk 3 naval gun system from BAE Systems for its first KCR-60M missile attack craft, KRI Sampari (628).

The naval gun will be installed on the platform in the primary position, a TNI-AL source informed Jane’s in late-January 2018. This information has since been corroborated with officials from state-owned shipbuilder PT PAL in Surabaya, who are involved in the weapon’s procurement.

The third-of-class KCR-60M-class fast attack craft, KRI Halasan . (IHS Markit/Ridzwan Rahmat)

The 57 mm gun will replace a 40 mm cannon from Bofors. This weapon type is currently installed across all three ships in the KCR-60M class. The older weapons were salvaged from the decommissioned landing ship tank (LST) vessel, KRI Teluk Semangka , as an interim measure to provide the KCR-60M class with a naval gunfire support capability.

Complete article at http://www.janes.com/article/77516/i...kcr-60m-vessel

Those old obsolete manual operated 40 mm guns are at last being replaced....

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Youtube link to CNN Indonesia footage of the Arival of Second DSME 1400 SSK KRI Ardadedali. In the news footage being informed the third subs (that being assembly in PAL Surabaya) will be launch in July.

Last edited:

Ananda

The Bunker Group
FPS Indonesia Handles Indonesian Military Supply Shipment – FPS-GROUP

Link to FPS group on their shipment to Indonesia for Indonesian military. Including on the items is VL Mica, and Exocet missile. Seems the PKR will get their missiles set afterall.

Interestingly they mentioned on Chinese missiles for Trimaran project. This project before was being partnered with SAAB, but SAAB later on pull out from project, being rumoured due to Indonesian navy lost interest on the project besides the first prototype being build.
Thus the prototype seems going to used Chinese missiles then RBS-15 that being rumoured as the SSM during SAAB involvement. The Navy so far shown more interest on conventional design of KCR (Missile Boat) 60.

However being this Indonesia..everything related to Political mood. If Trimaran can gather enough attraction again with a working prototype, then perhaps interest can come back.

Sandhi Yudha

FPS Indonesia Handles Indonesian Military Supply Shipment – FPS-GROUP

Link to FPS group on their shipment to Indonesia for Indonesian military. Including on the items is VL Mica, and Exocet missile. Seems the PKR will get their missiles set afterall.

Interestingly they mentioned on Chinese missiles for Trimaran project. This project before was being partnered with SAAB, but SAAB later on pull out from project, being rumoured due to Indonesian navy lost interest on the project besides the first prototype being build.
Thus the prototype seems going to used Chinese missiles then RBS-15 that being rumoured as the SSM during SAAB involvement. The Navy so far shown more interest on conventional design of KCR (Missile Boat) 60.

However being this Indonesia..everything related to Political mood. If Trimaran can gather enough attraction again with a working prototype, then perhaps interest can come back.
At last....
My goodness, i was really afraid that the SIGMA 10514 frigates became a useless 'fitted for but not with' class of oversized patrolboats.

"PT. FPS Indonesia successfully handled a project shipment of ammunition to include: 3 VL MICA, 1 Rudal Exocet, and weapon spare parts from Chateauroux France to Surabaya, Indonesia for the Indonesian Navy."
3 VL MICA => 3 pieces of VLS-modules i expect... But why three? Maybe these VLS-modules are for the Nakhoda Ragam/Bung Tomo Class corvettes.
1 Rudal Exocet ==> Just one piece of MM40 Mk2?

alexsanjaya

At last....
My goodness, i was really afraid that the SIGMA 10514 frigates became a useless 'fitted for but not with' class of oversized patrolboats.

"PT. FPS Indonesia successfully handled a project shipment of ammunition to include: 3 VL MICA, 1 Rudal Exocet, and weapon spare parts from Chateauroux France to Surabaya, Indonesia for the Indonesian Navy."
3 VL MICA => 3 pieces of VLS-modules i expect... But why three? Maybe these VLS-modules are for the Nakhoda Ragam/Bung Tomo Class corvettes.
1 Rudal Exocet ==> Just one piece of MM40 Mk2?
You might wanna check SIPRI database
It's clearly stated there are total of 42 (forty-two) VL-MICA-M being ordered and slated to be use for Sigma 10514 along with 30 (thirty) Exocet MM-40, and judging from the year of order and the pressing need for modern system, it can be safely assumed the Exocet in question is block 3

alexsanjaya

I personally very happy the Klewang class trimaran project were canceled. From seakeeping & survivability perspective the design will not fare well as naval combatant.
It is however will look extremely pretty to be use as recreational yacht or as fast litoral patrol craft BUT NOT as naval combatant.

alexsanjaya

Not much recent news the last period about the third LPD under construction for TNI-AL.

Only that PAL is still competing in the LPD program of the Malaysian Navy.
MY current administration is still new (albeit with senior PM), and it will took considerable time for any LOI to get ink.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
PT. PAL twitter shown new logo of what I see as new OPV design. Some local forumers talk about Corvette design. Well it can be that, by I suspect it's an OPV design being prepared as Replacement for Parchim.

Eventough those Parchim born as Light Frigate/Corvettes, but in TNI-AL service, their duty more as OPV.
PAL for some time has been talked in media that there's 80+m OPV project that being talked with Indonesian Mindef. My guess this picture is the design for that.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandhi Yudha

PT. PAL twitter shown new logo of what I see as new OPV design. Some local forumers talk about Corvette design. Well it can be that, by I suspect it's an OPV design being prepared as Replacement for Parchim.

Eventough those Parchim born as Light Frigate/Corvettes, but in TNI-AL service, their duty more as OPV.
PAL for some time has been talked in media that there's 80+m OPV project that being talked with Indonesian Mindef. My guess this picture is the design for that.
Looking to the logo, it looks like this new class of corvettes/OPVs will be equipped with the I-Mast 400, an integrated mast with all the sensor systems housed in, comprising a SeaMaster 400 air warning radar, a Watcher 100 active phased-array surface detection and tracking radar, claimed to be able to detect small objects such as mines and periscopes on the sea surface at 40 km (25 mi) range, link 11 & 16 data links and an infra-red Gatekeeper/electro-optical (EO) warning system, developed and manufactured by Hollandse Signaalapparaten/Thales Nederland.

But looking to the price tag, i expect only a navigation radar will be installed, or maybe some cheap chinese stuff, specially if they plan to replace all the Parchim I Class corvettes.

deadlast

Yeah, the design seems like it's intended for navy's OPV project. The bulbous bow, side observation cut-outs (reminds me of bakamla 110m OPV design btw), and the placement of life raft does indicate that the design lean more on practicality side than stealthy aspect of the usual PAL's ship design.

Looking to the logo, it looks like this new class of corvettes/OPVs will be equipped with the I-Mast 400, an integrated mast with all the sensor systems housed in, comprising a SeaMaster 400 air warning radar, a Watcher 100 active phased-array surface detection and tracking radar, claimed to be able to detect small objects such as mines and periscopes on the sea surface at 40 km (25 mi) range, link 11 & 16 data links and an infra-red Gatekeeper/electro-optical (EO) warning system, developed and manufactured by Hollandse Signaalapparaten/Thales Nederland.

But looking to the price tag, i expect only a navigation radar will be installed, or maybe some cheap chinese stuff, specially if they plan to replace all the Parchim I Class corvettes.
For the mast though, I doubt navy would fit such sophisticated (read:expensive) sensor mast as the I-Mast 400 whether it is for Corvettes or OPVs. They are too cash-strapped for that, most likely PAL would just copy the shape of I-Mast and be done with it like what they've done with SIGMA-like mast design they fit in Banjarmasin/Tarlac class LPDs.

The addition of dedicated fire control radar above the bridge is enough proof of that, if the plan really asked for integrated mast then the addition of such sensor were moot and unnecessary.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
This new PT. PAL slide has been circulated in local defense blog and forums.

The slide shown more PAL designs for Amphibious Vessels, including one they are pitching for Malaysian MRSS. One design on 244 m LPH seems showing more updated design the their previous ones.

Attachments

Sandhi Yudha

This new PT. PAL slide has been circulated in local defense blog and forums.

The slide shown more PAL designs for Amphibious Vessels, including one they are pitching for Malaysian MRSS. One design on 244 m LPH seems showing more updated design the their previous ones.
Thank you for sharing.
Its a low resolution version, but in the left-lower corner you still can see "confidential/terbatas"...

Ananda

The Bunker Group
It depends with new malaysian government, weather they will still give go ahead to MRSS program. Reading some Malaysian forum, there seems some questions on continuity for MRSS need. There are some talks new Malaysian government will make some changes on their 5 types fleet plan.

Seems reading PAL media announcement..they are now hoping on more deal from Philipines. They are also pitching LPD deal in Thailand, but they will face strong competition from ST Marine there.