Indonesia: 'green water navy'

Ananda

The Bunker Group
China once offered Indonesia with C4I system which can be integrated with C-705 missile: China Defense Blog: China is offered to build Indonesia's costal C4I system.

Does anybody know the latest news on this? Or TNI-AL want to integrate Chinese system on KCR-40 with Chinese built coastal radar too?
Well, Indonesia coastal survailance network now based on US IMSS system network. Domestic Radar industry like Infra RCS also build on integration with IMSS. So, don't think Chinese C41 system can't be integrated with IMSS.

However new Government has come, the Opposition now in Power, and based on their tracked record when they are in power more than a decade ago...anything can happen..They can start new project..laid waste on existing infrastucture...simply to find something 'new'.

Well that's the beauty of democracy and social media...old track record can be forgotten...for something 'old' in new package...:eek:nfloorl:

Sandhi Yudha

Good question. Supposedly the Type 730 going to replace existing AK230 in Parchim. Puting on dimension wise, Type 730 also considerably bigger than AK 230 being replaced. It's more fitting to replace AK 230 with AK 630, afterall AK 630 (or the Chinese copy) already being put on KCR 40.

That's why somehow I see this as one off trial, like the Yakhont on one of the Van Speijk. Before, local media and forum speculated that after the firing of Yakhont from KRI OWA, the other Van Speijk frigates will be equiped by Yakhont. Instead now some of them being fitted by C-802.

Will see how this turn out for the rest of Parchim. Then again it could be the rest of Parchim will be equiped by Type 730, considering bigger TNI-AL ships in future like PKR light frigates seems will be relies with naval version of Oerlikon Skyshield as CIWS.
Maybe they will place the Type 730 CIWS on the existing AK-725 mount. Are these twin 57 mm guns still usable btw? Ive never seen a video or photo of a Parchim I Class corvette firing a AK-725 gun...

Sandhi Yudha

Great news!
The KRI Bung Tomo 357 is on its way to Indonesia!!
It already passed Spain. Pictures taken from another forum.

Sandhi Yudha

Great news!
The KRI Bung Tomo 357 is on its way to Indonesia!!
It already passed Spain. Pictures taken from another forum.
The plan was to replace the Seawolf with the MICA, but according to some sources the MICA VLS is not yet tested and even not installed in the KRI Bung Tomo 357 and the other two ships. So that means the Nakhoda Ragam Class doesnt have any SAM system at the moment?
Does anyone know when the MICA VLS will be installed?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
From Indonesian Navy website:

PASSING EXERCISE KRI FKO-368 DENGAN KAPAL PERANG BARU TNI AL DI LAUT MEDITERANIA > W E B S I T E - T N I A L > Seremonial

Article on sea rendezvous between one of SIGMA Dipenogoro class Corvettes KRI Frans Kaisiepo and the Lead Ship of ex Nahkoda Ragam KRI Bung Tomo (subsequently the vessels now being called Bung Tomo class in Indonesian Navy), on Mediteranian outside Lebanon water. The vessel expected to entered Indonesian water next week.

2nd and 3rd ships of the class (KRI John Lie and KRI Usman Harun) also expected will join the fleet before year end. According other source, latter on the Ships will be conducting new weapon integration in PAL facility in Surabaya. What new weapon and when the time line for those integration remain to be seen.

Also from Jane's

Indonesia confirms acquisition of four Klewang-class stealth patrol ships - IHS Jane's 360

The Klewang class stealth missiles boats project confirmed to be continued with SAAB taking over as lead contractor, although the manufacturing still being done in Lundin North Sea Boats facility in East Java. As being known, the first Klewang destroyed during fire accident, not long after being launched from Lundin facility.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
incident in launching

Incident in launching of KRI Teluk Bintuni, the first class of indigenous design LST/Logistic Ships. This 120 M LST designed to be able to transport 60 tn MBT (up to 10 Leo 2 class MBT).

The dockyard steel cable that supposedly hold the ship in position before launching teared and broke, which resulted on the ship launched before time. 2 injuries reported, but all mino since all dockyard technicians able to avoided the launched ship. The dockyard is a private ones called Daya Radar Utama (DRU), thus not the main state owned dockyard PT. PAL that used to build large Naval vessels. This seems related to Mindef approach to give some support vessels and small combatan contracts to local ship/dock yard in order to release pressures from PT. PAL to focus more on Large combatan and specialize vessels.

The dockyard informed the media that some minor damage occurred with the ships rudder due the untimely launched incidents. However the overall ships sturcture remain in good conditions, thus the damage repaired can be done in the berth.

The video taken by ARC website journalist, which shown at glance other dockyard projects. Seems the dockyard already have some specialize with Ro-Ro ships.

[nomedia]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqI4UGt-6os[/nomedia]

Sandhi Yudha

Incident in launching of KRI Teluk Bintuni, the first class of indigenous design LST/Logistic Ships. This 120 M LST designed to be able to transport 60 tn MBT (up to 10 Leo 2 class MBT).

The dockyard steel cable that supposedly hold the ship in position before launching teared and broke, which resulted on the ship launched before time. 2 injuries reported, but all mino since all dockyard technicians able to avoided the launched ship. The dockyard is a private ones called Daya Radar Utama (DRU), thus not the main state owned dockyard PT. PAL that used to build large Naval vessels. This seems related to Mindef approach to give some support vessels and small combatan contracts to local ship/dock yard in order to release pressures from PT. PAL to focus more on Large combatan and specialize vessels.

The dockyard informed the media that some minor damage occurred with the ships rudder due the untimely launched incidents. However the overall ships sturcture remain in good conditions, thus the damage repaired can be done in the berth.

The video taken by ARC website journalist, which shown at glance other dockyard projects. Seems the dockyard already have some specialize with Ro-Ro ships.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AqI4UGt-6os
:( The same shipyard had earlier another incident with the launch of a patrolship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25r-p...ture=youtu.be#

But here some good news! KRI Bung Tomo 357 is already in Indonesian waters and welcomed by KRI Oswald Siahaan 354

Sandhi Yudha

IPTN has delivered the third CN235-220MPA to the navy (P-862)!
PT DI Serahkan CN 235 ke Puspenerbal
Rabu, 17 September 2014 13:05 WIB

TRIBUNNEWS.COM,SURABAYA - PT Dirgantara Indonesia secara resmi menyerahkan Pesawat Udara CN-235 220 Patroli Maritim kepada Kementerian Pertahanan yang langsung diserahkan ke Pusat Penerbangan TNI AL, Rabu (17/9/2014).

Serah terima yang dilaksanakan di Apron Base Opps Lanudal Juanda itu dihadiri langsung oleh Menteri Pertahanan RI, Prof Purnomo Yusgiantoro.

Pesawat CN 235 220 MPA bernomor. P-862 adalah pesawat udara jenis patroli Maritim ke tiga yang diserahkan PTDI.

Sebelumnya dua pesawat serupa yang diberi nomor P-860 dan P-861 telah diserahkan di tahun 2013.
More at PT DI Serahkan CN 235 ke Puspenerbal - Tribunnews.com

At last. Now the remaining two for the Air Force.

Sandhi Yudha

I just saw a picture of a replenishment ship with the name KRI Tarakan 905, is this a new ship? I couldnt find any info about it on the internet.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Yes, KRI Tarakan is a new replenishment ship. Build locally by PT. DKB shipyard. This part of series procurement that include locally build LST.

Attached is pictures of the First locally build LST, KRI Teluk Bintuni which the incindent on it's launching I have put on previous post. Sorry for the quality of Picture, it was taken from local Lampung province (Saibumi) news paper sites.

Sandhi Yudha

Yes, KRI Tarakan is a new replenishment ship. Build locally by PT. DKB shipyard. This part of series procurement that include locally build LST.

Attached is pictures of the First locally build LST, KRI Teluk Bintuni which the incindent on it's launching I have put on previous post. Sorry for the quality of Picture, it was taken from local Lampung province (Saibumi) news paper sites.
Thanks for sharing the pictures, looks great!
But ofcourse as a maingun an old reused second hand one and also manually aimed....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
TNI AL diperkuat dengan kapal pengangkut logistik - ANTARA News

The oiler KRI Tarakan officially entered TNI-AL inventory, this as far as that I know is the first and largest domestic build fleet oilers, although still slightly smaller than KRI Arun (ex Green Rover). Both Arun and Tarakan believe will be the backbone for TNI-AL replenishment fleet.

I take the picture from on line sources, which basically same picture that Sandhi Yudha already put the sites.

Sandhi Yudha

Indonesian Navy to equip Bung Tomo corvettes with Panther ASW helicopters
Ridzwan Rahmat, Surabaya, Indonesia - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
06 October 2014

The Indonesian Navy (Tentera Nasional Indonesia - Angkatan Laut, or TNI-AL) will equip its three Bung Tomo-class corvettes with AS565 Panther anti-submarine warfare (ASW) helicopters from Airbus Helicopters, a navy source told IHS Jane's on 6 October in Surabaya, Indonesia.

The lead ship in class, KRI Bung Tomo (357), conducted trials with an AS365N Dauphin 2 on 29 September. The trials, which included touch-and-go operations and landings, were held in the seas of central Java ahead of the vessel's appearance at the Indonesian Armed Forces Day celebration on 7 October.
More at Indonesian Navy to equip Bung Tomo corvettes with Panther ASW helicopters - IHS Jane's 360

At last, after more than a decade we retired those obsolete primitive Westland Wasps, we order new naval ASW-helicopters....

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Turnkey Not Smorgasbord | Ares

Quite through summary on Indonesian Stealth PAC program:

However, building has already begun on the replacement ship using the same specifications as the first one. “But everyone from the Indonesian navy down agrees that the top part needs to be a new design,” Stefan Hedenstedt , head of naval sales at C2S Saab told Ares. And there are now four such ships in the offing. So construction will stop just above the hulls while discussions about a contract continue.

The 245-ton, 63m (207 ft) long, ship is entirely made of carbon fibre foam sandwich using fire retardant vinyl ester resin (lessons have been learnt!). The four diesel-engined ship has a beam of 16m (52 ft) but a draught of only 1.2m (4 ft) making it ideal for Indonesia's shallow littoral waters. It has a top speed of 28 knots (51 km/h) and a cruising speed of 16 knots (29.6km/h) that gives it a range of 2,000 nautical miles (3,704km). It has been designed to have an endurance of 10 days at sea.

The FAC is equipped not only with anti-ship missiles but also the BAe Systems Bofors 40Mk4 naval gun.
Although after SAAB involvement, the design still shown much simmilarity with it's ill fated predecesor KRI Klewang, but the design also shown noticable differences. The touch of SAAB influces also shown more now.

On local forum, there are photo's that show the process for the hull already begin.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Bakal Punya 7 Unit, Ini Kehebatan Kapal Selam RI * | -nasional- | Tempo.co

From Tempo online. The Navy Chief, Admiral Marsetio told media that by 2020 the Indonesian Navy aimed to operated 7 Submarines.

"Kami berencana beli dua kapal pada rencana strategis kedua tahun 2015-2019, sehingga Indonesia punya tujuh kapal selam pada 2020," kata Marsetio seusai seminar kemaritiman di Jakarta, Selasa, 16 Desember 2014

Diharapkan, pada pengadaan keempat, PT PAL sudah bisa membangun penuh kapal selam," kata Marsetio
2 point that highlighted:
1. Additional 2 submarine (from present procurement of 3 Submarine DSME) will be procured under 2015 - 2019 defense strategic plan.
2. Those 2 procurement (procurement number 4 and 5) will be build by PT. PAL

Under present procurement Submarine number 1 and 2 will be build by DSME and number 3 will be build by PT. PAL. By this statement, the Government expected further submarine (number 4 and 5) also build by PT. PAL facilities in Surabaya.

With that plan, TNI-AL confirm that all the submarine will be based on DSME 209, which in turn based on HDW. All the talked about Kilo (Type 636) or Lada from Russia as further procurement asside DSME 209, seems being rebuffed by Navy Chief statement.

r0m8470

Hi - a newbie here with some personal observations:

1. The Indo navy seems really good at getting hulls on the water, but not with complete systems onboard. All the 40-m 'missile boats' are in practice just 40-m boats. The 'missiles' are just empty boxes, and the boats have no FCS, save for maybe 1 boat with AK630 and real C-705.

Is the need for qty so above the need for having real weapons platforms right now? With the gov't crackdown on illegal fishing, maybe having some hulls on the water takes priority now?

I see the same thing happening with the 60-m 'missile boat' from PT PAL. No 57mm gun, instead it has an older 40mm Bofors.

Any opinions there?

2. Same things happened with the MLRF frigates - I don't recall ever seeing pictures of them actually being outfitted with either Exocet or VL Mica. What's the news there?

3. Seems like the Navy likes to follow other armed forces brethrens by having variety of systems. They have Exocets, Yakhont, C-705, C-802 and I heard the trimaran will have RBS-15. I am curious how much strain that will place on personnel training and different operational doctrines?

4. I read news about installation of a Chinese Goalkeeper copy. Is that true or is that more of a trial install?

5. Maybe the lack of weapons outfit is a sign of skills shortcoming in systems integration? The local shipbuilders, judging from the number of hulls on the water - seems to be competent enough to build boats.

Any thoughts/comments about these observations?

Ananda

The Bunker Group
First PKR SIGMA 10514, being launch from PAL Shipyard in Surabaya. As I have posted before, the first PKR have 4 of its 6 module manufactured in PAL, while 2 in Damen. PAL in media already stated the 2nd PKR will have 5 of it's module manufactured in PAL, and only 1 in Damen facility. They hope for the 3rd PKR onward, all modules being manufactured by PAL.

Local media and forum says there will be 6 PKR being build as replacement for old ex Van Speijk/Leander Frigates. However as far as I knowonly the 1st batch of 2 Frigates only have clear funding, while the 2nd batch of 4 still under discussion.

Unconfirmed report told PAL got as much as 20 PKR license from Damen to build in their facility.

Indonesian Navys first SIGMA 10514 PKR launched at PT Pal Surabaya Shipyard

Sandhi Yudha

We indeed need 4-6 more vessels to replace the Van Speijk/Ahmad Yani Class frigates. Hopefully a contract for more will be signed soon.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
As numbers talk..the 4 Sigma Corvete is in number to replace 4 ex US Samadikun class light Frigates..the 3 ex Nahkoda Ragam Corvete is in number to replace 3 ex UK Tribal Frigates..That left the 6 ex Netherland Van Speijk which being told replaced by the 1st batch of 2 PRK 10514, and planned 4 of 2nd batch PRK 10514..

The 3 Fatahilah Corvette are got or plan got MLU upgrade..so not need replacement soon..that left for those 16 ex East German Parchim Corvette...which need to be replaced to..but no clear plan with what..

And frankly speaking it will be lucky this Administration got 2nd batch of 4 PRK funded in time..so all 6 Van Speijk can be replaced...I don't put high hope with the present Administration..with all their big talk..all the project for the Navy is actually previous Administration project..Jokowi so far only shown big talk on Maritime power..but all being shown now are mostly completion of SBY's administration origin projects..Jokowi's administration really have problem on implementation of projects origin/initiate by them..

Sandhi Yudha

2. Same things happened with the MLRF frigates - I don't recall ever seeing pictures of them actually being outfitted with either Exocet or VL Mica. What's the news there?
Yes, its also unclear for me about the SAM-system onboard the Nakhoda Ragam/Bung Tomo Class korvets. Initially they were armed with 16 VLS Sea Wolves, but during the acquisition it was decided to replace them with 12 VLS Mica's, because "the BAe Sea Wolves are not anymore in production". But until now there is no news about that replacement and you see on all photos that the 16 Sea Wolf launchtubes are still installed.

As numbers talk..the 4 Sigma Corvete is in number to replace 4 ex US Samadikun class light Frigates..the 3 ex Nahkoda Ragam Corvete is in number to replace 3 ex UK Tribal Frigates..That left the 6 ex Netherland Van Speijk which being told replaced by the 1st batch of 2 PRK 10514, and planned 4 of 2nd batch PRK 10514..

The 3 Fatahilah Corvette are got or plan got MLU upgrade..so not need replacement soon..that left for those 16 ex East German Parchim Corvette...which need to be replaced to..but no clear plan with what..

And frankly speaking it will be lucky this Administration got 2nd batch of 4 PRK funded in time..so all 6 Van Speijk can be replaced...I don't put high hope with the present Administration..with all their big talk..all the project for the Navy is actually previous Administration project..Jokowi so far only shown big talk on Maritime power..but all being shown now are mostly completion of SBY's administration origin projects..Jokowi's administration really have problem on implementation of projects origin/initiate by them..
Those 3 Fatahillah-Class light frigates are quite powerful for their size and not that old. So indeed an MLU is in my opinion the best choice. A simple MM38-->MM40 and Bofors 375 mm ASW-mortier launcher --> Oerlikon Millennium 35 mm CIWS replacement is quite an improvement. Also a DA-05 --> MW08 / SMART-S Mk2 change should be possible. However according to these articles/newsreports, MLU on the first vessel (361) is already in process.
Ultra Electronics, Indonesia’s MoD Secure Fatahillah Class Corvettes Contract | Naval Today
DEFENSE STUDIES: KRI Fatahillah Selesai Menjalani Upgrade

But only the Command and Control System and some sensors are replaced by new ones, as you can see on the photos, the Hollandse Signaalapparaten WM-28 fire-control radar and DA-05 surveillance radar are removed and replaced by a single Terma Scanter 4100 2D-radar.
So there is no upgrade on the weaponsystems.

Talking about the 16 Parchim I corvettes, maybe they can be replaced by, lets say, 16 enlarged PAL KCR-60 vessels.... Almost the same size, but more modern and more firepower.