Indian Navy (IN) News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
actually, just a fine point, State Dept have the final release authority for FMS (same as ITARs issues)

irtusk

well regardless of who has to 'request' and who has to 'offer',

would the US sell the Tarawa to India?

would India want to buy the Tarawa?

should India want to buy the Tarawa?

irtusk

No, no, and no. At least in my opinion.
so why do you say the US wouldn't sell?

because of possible loss of sensitive information?

because of balance of power issues?

is it really that different than the Trenton?

and then why do you say India wouldn't/shouldn't be interested in it?

too old and decrepit? (even though it's 20 years newer than the Viraat, perhaps the USN runs their ships harder?)

too manpower intensive? (although crew requirements don't seem that different than Viraat)

something else?

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
well regardless of who has to 'request' and who has to 'offer',

would the US sell the Tarawa to India?

would India want to buy the Tarawa?

should India want to buy the Tarawa?
It depends on how long Hermes can hang on?

How long it will take for replacements to arrive?

How cheap can they get a replacement? they could get a Tarawa for very low price and bolt a Ski jump on it. It could make senses

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think you've missed the point. There are two distinct processes here:
1) the formal request-offer process.
2) the marketing process.

How many times do you think 1) follows 2)? Very often, I think.

Saying there is never any "offer" may be true, but only for a limited, technical, meaning of the word "offer". In normal usage, the informal proposals firms make before a formal request is issued would certainly be considered offers. The USA (considered both as a collectivity, & the government considered as one entity) is entirely passive in the model you describe, only reacting after a potential customer has initiated contact, but you cannot believe that is what actually happens.
Sorry mate. It's not a model. It is a fact. US contractors are not suppose to make offers for MDE, however informal. They are not even suppose to be discussing technical details as these are most likely classified and would require US Gov't clearance.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It depends on how long Hermes can hang on?

How long it will take for replacements to arrive?

How cheap can they get a replacement? they could get a Tarawa for very low price and bolt a Ski jump on it. It could make senses
It's not that easy. While the flight deck could probably take the weight of the Mig-29K, it would need an angled landing area and arresting gear installed.

irtusk

It's not that easy. While the flight deck could probably take the weight of the Mig-29K, it would need an angled landing area and arresting gear installed.
i presumed they would use it for their harriers and helicopters like the Viraat . . .

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
They are not even suppose to be discussing technical details as these are most likely classified and would require US Gov't clearance.
and the final nail is hammered in by State Dept. Even if suppliers want to get their gear into a country it can be Vetoed by State.

It's one of the methods to control and manage military sales at the civilian level.

State are the ones who determine whether conversations will even be allowed to take place. Granted some will try and circumvent where poss, and may seek to appeal to the Executive (ie President, Sec State, Sec Def etc..) but in absolute terms. No tick, no talk, no sale.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
I was working with the Idea of the SHAR's and possibly a few Av-8 in the deal where it would just be bolting on a Ski Jump.

EDIT: irtusk as already said it

Rish

I guess its out? India's leasing the Akula II from russia. Just wondering, what missile do you think is going to be armed on this submarine? also, is it going to be deployed on the western front or is going to move around?

http://www.india- defence.com/reports/4066

Indian Navy crews to move to Russia to start training on Chakra

Batches of Indian naval personnel are to shortly leave for the Russia's far eastern port of Vladivostok to train on board the Chakra, (formerly the Nerpa) a Russian Akula-2 nuclear powered attack submarine which is to be transferred to India on a 10-year lease next year.

Firehorse

Banned Member
I seriously doubt the Russian gov. has the money to procure, refurbish, deploy, arm, train pilots for, and use for that ship. Not to mention India has already 1) Signed the Fulcrum contracts. 2) Agreed to purchase the additional aircraft under option. It really doesn't look likely.
That ship and assosiated costs are less than Kuznetsov follow-on; besides, with impending Army restructuring they'll save a lot of money for other things. MiG-29s can be used on other CVs, and if not, they can be modified for the regular, land-based version. There are many ongoing Russia-India deals that can smooth this mess out, at least IMO. As you say, "time will tell"!

Update:
Gorshkov's Delivery to Indian Navy Delayed Till 2012

Bottom line:
Why should Russia "go in the red" to supply India a CV, while she is in the process of naval buildup and needs carriers herself?
Good luck to India!

Last edited:

Firehorse

Banned Member
Update

The article below essentually says that Russia will keep Admiral Gorshkov if India fails to pay for it in full. the international situation is complicated and such ships will come handy to patrol the Atlantic and the Med. Sea. $400M are already spent, and $2B more are needed to complete modernization."
http://www.izvestia.ru/news/news192438

funtz

Sounds like the perfect oppertunity for the two nations to solve this mess, the amount can be adjusted with several ongoing deals like the Mig-29K upgrade deal, T-90 deal.

And the 16 or so Mig-29Ks can be used by the IN to replace the grand old Marine Jaguars.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
The article below essentually says that Russia will keep Admiral Gorshkov if India fails to pay for it in full. the international situation is complicated and such ships will come handy to patrol the Atlantic and the Med. Sea. $400M are already spent, and $2B more are needed to complete modernization."
http://www.izvestia.ru/news/news192438
They hinted at that last February as well IIRC. Sound to me like a ploy, just so that the shipyard can say "hey, you don't want to p(l)ay, we got another taker for the ship. so pay up". IMHO just a negotiation tactic.

Sea Toby

I am sure an American government would be interested in selling an old Tarawa class ship to India under the proper channels. Harrier type aircraft can be operated off the ship, only a ski jump would have to be added. I do not see why America would not sell an old Tarawa class to India. There may be some sensitive American equipment removed, but the ship and the all important flat top flight deck would be included. If India can get twenty years out of the ex-HMS Hermes, I would think they could get the same out of an old Tarawa.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
I am sure an American government would be interested in selling an old Tarawa class ship to India under the proper channels. Harrier type aircraft can be operated off the ship, only a ski jump would have to be added. I do not see why America would not sell an old Tarawa class to India. There may be some sensitive American equipment removed, but the ship and the all important flat top flight deck would be included. If India can get twenty years out of the ex-HMS Hermes, I would think they could get the same out of an old Tarawa.
it will 30 years in 2012 which is when Hermes decommissions[at present plans] which the Indians will get out of it.

I think if the India buy's another tep harrier carrier I would have thought would want to have more harriers as they only have 13 and only 9 of them are single seat they would want some more espeicaly as MIG 29 will be useless for there original perpous

irtusk

I think if the India buy's another tep harrier carrier I would have thought would want to have more harriers
well it's certainly possible they still could

the UK has decom'd a few and might be able to pickup some from italy/spain/thailand

but the only critical need is a bridge to the IAC as the Viraat is increasingly unable to put to sea

as i understand it, typically the Viraat doesn't even deploy with harriers, only helicopters

so for the normal use a tarawa could certainly fulfill the duties and in an emergency, yeah it could run those handful of harriers

and then even after the IAC, an amphibious ship with the capabilities of the tarawa is always handy, even if it's just for disaster relief

ASFC

They should buy Invincible-the RN can offload a ship that they can't use but is costing them, the Indians get a Harrier ready ship, there is no need to buy more Harriers as she can't operate many anyway and she will make an excellent stop gap until their newer carriers come on line.

I also suspect that unlike a Tarawa LHA, Invincible will have less secret stuff that needs removing and might be in slightly better condition that an LHA.

Downside? She only carries about 22 Aircraft (including Helos).

I don't see the Indians buying anything else European as they are going to be using their current and future Carriers for a while yet. The Thai navy likes the usefulness of its Carrier for disaster relief so I can't see them easily parting with it.

So if they wanted a stopgap it is either Tarawa or Invincible. Not much choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.