Indian Navy (IN) News and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rish

Let's not forget the Mig-29Ks will be competing for flight deck and hangar space with helicopters and Sea Harriers. For sure there will be a mix.
yeah thats what i meant. I wanted to know what the maximum number of helicopters + fighter aircraft could be deployed during a wartime scenario on the aircraft carrier. I agree with StevoJH. I don't see the Sea Harriers as being in service too long.

kay_man

yeah thats what i meant. I wanted to know what the maximum number of helicopters + fighter aircraft could be deployed during a wartime scenario on the aircraft carrier. I agree with StevoJH. I don't see the Sea Harriers as being in service too long.
the vikramaditya will have a compliment of 12-16 mig-29k / harrier / lca naval version (seems less likely).
it will also carry 8-12 helos viz. sea king / chetak / dhruv.
the vikramaditya is set to be ready by 2011-2012.

the indegenous carrier that will be ready by 2013-14 will have mig-29k / naval LCA.
helicopter compliment will comprise of indegenous medium helo + replacement for sea kings / might even feature light combat helicopter for landing support missions.

divedeep

the vikramaditya will have a compliment of 12-16 mig-29k / harrier / lca naval version (seems less likely).
it will also carry 8-12 helos viz. sea king / chetak / dhruv.
the vikramaditya is set to be ready by 2011-2012.

the indegenous carrier that will be ready by 2013-14 will have mig-29k / naval LCA.
helicopter compliment will comprise of indegenous medium helo + replacement for sea kings / might even feature light combat helicopter for landing support missions.
Those timeframes sound hopelessly optimistic. Don't get me wrong, Indians are capable of building hulls as well as everyone else just that their bureaucrats are incapable of putting together a plan that meets deadlines.

kay_man

Those timeframes sound hopelessly optimistic. Don't get me wrong, Indians are capable of building hulls as well as everyone else just that their bureaucrats are incapable of putting together a plan that meets deadlines.
I couldn't agree with you more.
The timeline may be a bit too optimistic for the indegenous carrier.
However i must agree when they say that INS Vikramaditya will be delivered by 2011-2012.
The payment issues have been solved, work is progressing and i have a feeling that the Indian navy will be very persistent about the timeline as the INS Viraat (Hermes) will expire at around the same time.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
However i must agree when they say that INS Vikramaditya will be delivered by 2011-2012.
The payment issues have been solved, work is progressing and i have a feeling that the Indian navy will be very persistent about the timeline as the INS Viraat (Hermes) will expire at around the same time.
The timeline could slide even further to the right given current and future world economic situations. Both Russia and India are emerging markets and may still see the worst to come.

harryriedl

Verified Defense Pro
Hermes will have to last unless India wants to lose it carrier it should have gone next year before the huge Gorskov delay meant the IN have to move its retirement date [its in Refit isn't it?]. Its an amazing feat that kept in service for so long

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Hermes will have to last unless India wants to lose it carrier it should have gone next year before the huge Gorskov delay meant the IN have to move its retirement date [its in Refit isn't it?]. Its an amazing feat that kept in service for so long
That ship is operating way past its expiry date. The ship was laid down in world war two even if it wasnt completed until the 1950's, so parts of the ship, specifically the hull date from 1944, and since its commissioning in 1959 the ship was used heavily, at least until it transferred to the Indian Navy. This ship has been commissioned in the RN and IN for 49 years this year, much longer then it was ever expected for this ship to be in service.

Rish

That ship is operating way past its expiry date. The ship was laid down in world war two even if it wasnt completed until the 1950's, so parts of the ship, specifically the hull date from 1944, and since its commissioning in 1959 the ship was used heavily, at least until it transferred to the Indian Navy. This ship has been commissioned in the RN and IN for 49 years this year, much longer then it was ever expected for this ship to be in service.
yeah thats why the ship has to return to port to undergo repairs so often.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And if you look at photos 5 and 6 of the superstructure, its looks like parts of her still are.
Actually mate, that's pretty normal for being in a shipyard. All that unsightly mess gets solved rather easily with sandblasting, primer and paint. They'll save that for last.

Interestingly those "spots" on outer side of the bridge are where the paint was burned off from welding or cutting on the inside bulkhead.

I must have spent too much time in shipyards to remember all this.

funtz

Actually mate, that's pretty normal for being in a shipyard. All that unsightly mess gets solved rather easily with sandblasting, primer and paint. They'll save that for last.

Interestingly those "spots" on outer side of the bridge are where the paint was burned off from welding or cutting on the inside bulkhead.

I must have spent too much time in shipyards to remember all this.
Repair of Gorshkov's hull completed

Vladimir Radyuhin

MOSCOW: The Gorshkov aircraft carrier will be taken out of dry dock shortly following the completion of hull repair and painting, said a shipyard official.

“The ship’s hull has been fully done and painted and scaffolding will be dismantled by the end of October,” deputy director for foreign defence contracts at the Sevmash shipyard Sergei Novosyolov told a local news service on Friday. “We are still to paint the last 10 [out of 116] cisterns.”
After the ship has been taken out of the dry dock and moored at the shipyard, pier engines and other heavy equipment will be installed, he said.

India is yet to approve $1-billion extra in cost overrun of the upgrade Russia asked over and above the initial $700 million after physical verification of the ship earlier this year revealed the need for massive additional refit. This has pushed back the Gorshkov delivery date from 2008 to 2012.
http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/18/stories/2008101851791800.htm

So what do you make of this, Work done or just ploys to get some money released?

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/18/stories/2008101851791800.htm

So what do you make of this, Work done or just ploys to get some money released?
Final completion is still far into the future. What the article mentions, and is supported by the photos, is that the "outer hull" has been painted and the ship ready to be floated pierside. This is normal for ships in overhaul or fitting out. It can then spend an infinite period pierside until all work is completed.

Referring to the photos again, we can only see the outer hull and outer superstructure, the latter still in need of it's primer and paint. What we do not see are the interior spaces which in a warship are very complex with miles and miles of piping and wiring runs. Here is the root of why this ship is in the midst of delays and cost overruns. Problems we can not see in the photos, however, believe me they are there, inside this ship.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Final completion is still far into the future. What the article mentions, and is supported by the photos, is that the "outer hull" has been painted and the ship ready to be floated pierside. This is normal for ships in overhaul or fitting out. It can then spend an infinite period pierside until all work is completed.

Referring to the photos again, we can only see the outer hull and outer superstructure, the latter still in need of it's primer and paint. What we do not see are the interior spaces which in a warship are very complex with miles and miles of piping and wiring runs. Here is the root of why this ship is in the midst of delays and cost overruns. Problems we can not see in the photos, however, believe me they are there, inside this ship.
I was having a look on google map at northern Russia and saw Kutzenov and a Kirov near Murmansk, with two Kirov's and a pair of Typhoon's docked at the shipyard where the ex-Gorshkov is located.

One thing that struck me, is the actual "dry dock" where the carrier is. Is that whole basin floodable? because it seems like a massive amount of effort, and looks like nothing you see at any of the UK shipyards (unless the basins at Portmouth and Rosyth can be emptied, and i didn't see anything similar when i looked at Norfolk either.

funtz

Don't know about the piping part, the wiring part was said to be in need of 700km later revised to 2500kms,
So that work will be done when the ship is floating?

AegisFC

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One thing that struck me, is the actual "dry dock" where the carrier is. Is that whole basin floodable? because it seems like a massive amount of effort, and looks like nothing you see at any of the UK shipyards (unless the basins at Portmouth and Rosyth can be emptied, and i didn't see anything similar when i looked at Norfolk either.
That is what it looks like, but all you would have to do is seal the end of the basin and then just pump out the water.

zenith_suv

So as far as current projections of aircraft carriers go - we should have 2 of them by 2012 with Mig-29k and LCA Naval (god willing) and Dhruv on board , not a perfect scenario but one deployed and eat and west costs would be significant deterrents.

Status
Not open for further replies.