Indian Navy Discussions and Updates

Misguided Fool

I dunno if any of have you considered this aspect (sorry if this has already been mentioned!):

My Dad joined the navy in the 1970s. In those days the success rate for applicants was very low: he has many a story of how he was selected from out of over 100 candidates for the officer corps.

Today the situation is very different. With a booming private sector, inflation, and static (although they are being forced upwards!) military wages, the current intake of officers and consequently the quality of the officer corps is very poor.

What will we/India do in the future, or what will we do today to stop catastrophe in the future? How can we propose to effectively use three carriers with a surrounding fleet of destroyers and frigates with an unintelligent, inferior and ineffecient officer corps?

I think instead of spending on one extra carrier, the Indian navy should spend on increased wages / benefits to military members to attract them from the far more lucrative private sector.

dragonfire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dunno if any of have you considered this aspect (sorry if this has already been mentioned!):

My Dad joined the navy in the 1970s. In those days the success rate for applicants was very low: he has many a story of how he was selected from out of over 100 candidates for the officer corps.

Today the situation is very different. With a booming private sector, inflation, and static (although they are being forced upwards!) military wages, the current intake of officers and consequently the quality of the officer corps is very poor.

What will we/India do in the future, or what will we do today to stop catastrophe in the future? How can we propose to effectively use three carriers with a surrounding fleet of destroyers and frigates with an unintelligent, inferior and ineffecient officer corps?

I think instead of spending on one extra carrier, the Indian navy should spend on increased wages / benefits to military members to attract them from the far more lucrative private sector.
The armed forces compensation revision is being considerered and being contested in the recent future and what with the current economic situation more candidates for the National Defence Academy is presumable :)

ReAl PrOeLiTeZ

If 2 carriers were in operation then 2 would be in docks as minimum number of carriers. So really India needs 4 not 3. India couldve spent better money else where such as their own carrier projects, or even purchased a new one. Admiral Gorshkov is like a money well it keeps asking for more money, delayed delivery time, re-assessing the repairs, more money.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That makes no sense. Why would 2 be in docks at once? You can rotate deployments, and carriers only need to spend a fraction of their life in maintenance. The USN has 11 carriers, with one in maintenance at any given time as far as I know.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That makes no sense. Why would 2 be in docks at once? You can rotate deployments, and carriers only need to spend a fraction of their life in maintenance. The USN has 11 carriers, with one in maintenance at any given time as far as I know.

Feanors correct. 2 ships means that one is on and one is off at given points in time. the more ships you have, the greater redundancy and time on station for a given vessel before hitting its rotation point

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
One east and one west of India. The third is an extra, replacing either under maintenance.
Might be more than just east and west as they have a critical base just rebuilt in the Andomans.

they have flexibility of choice, but I would think that the andomans and west would be first priority with the andomans assets also covering off the east if necessary

Rish

Shivalik-class frigates ready for trial

Mumbai, Feb 08: The first of the three Shivalik-class stealth frigates being built at Mazagon Dock here is ready for sea trial in March-April and it would be delivered to the Indian Navy in the next few months.

Related Stories
No face-off between Indian, Chinese Navies: Admiral Sureesh Mehta"We are taking the frigate for sea trials after March. We may deliver the frigate either before the monsoon or after the monsoon," an official of Mazagon Dock said.

"Delivery of the frigate during the monsoon will not be appropriate," the official said.

The Dock has begun work on the second and third frigates, too. The company expects to finish and deliver remaining frigates by 2010, the official said.
so have the issues with the engine been solved? i mean has the US agreed to revoke its ban on ge working on the engines? i read somewhere that the navy contracted german engineers to take over the work, but i'm not sure. btw i found a picture of the ship if you'd like to see.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
so have the issues with the engine been solved? i mean has the US agreed to revoke its ban on ge working on the engines? i read somewhere that the navy contracted german engineers to take over the work, but i'm not sure. btw i found a picture of the ship if you'd like to see.
Regarding the GE ban. It is most likely that GE failed to apply for export licensing. I've seen this happen before. It is actually GE's fault and not the US Government.

In fact the licensing is most likely not for the LM 2500 turbines themselves, but for the control panels and systems that run the turbines. These panels and control systems are quite a bit more advanced in technology than the turbines, so an export license is required.

It is probable that the deal may have been handled via the GE subsidiary Nuovo Pignone in Italy, which may be why an export license was not sought, but caught up with GE.

Perhaps someone can all confirm all this.

Type59

INS have bigger problems, who was the genius who forgot to relise there is no where to install turbines :shudder

Sorry, Mumbai has no berth for Kolkata
SUJAN DUTTA

New Delhi, March 16: The navy is all at sea because there is no room in Mumbai for Kolkata.

The INS Kolkata, the navy’s “stealth” guided-missile destroyer named after the Bengal capital, is floating -- unable to sail -- in the waters off the west coast metropolis.

Not a berth is available in the Mazagaon Docks where the INS Kolkata is to be moored so that it can be fitted with four gas turbines to propel it; given a landing deck and a hangar for two helicopters; armed with missiles and torpedoes to make it the most powerful warship of its class.

On schedule, the 6,700-tonne INS Kolkata would by now have been in a “hot start” mode with four Ukrainian M-36 Gas Turbine propulsion systems and ready for sea trials. Classified as Project 15Alpha, the INS Kolkata, the first of three in its class, would have “an updated weapons package and new-look exteriors and improved stealth (making it difficult to detect) and will be delivered beginning with the end of this decade”, says official literature distributed by the directorate of naval design.

But senior naval sources say a conservative delivery schedule envisages that the INS Kolkata will be ready only in 2013, at least three years after its deadline.

The INS Kolkata is not the only warship to be delayed. A parliamentary committee study has found that nearly all the stealth projects of the navy totalling worth more than Rs 19,000 crore are late. More than 30 ships and submarines are being built for the Indian Navy at home and overseas.

The INS Kolkata was “launched” three years ago. Its keel was laid in September 2003 when it was announced that it would be commissioned in 2010.

But now there is not a single shipyard in the country large enough to accommodate the INS Kolkata. Calcutta’s own Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers is too small to accommodate a destroyer. Even then, it has its berths full with orders for offshore and fast patrol boats and frigates.

In Mazagaon Docks (MDL), a senior naval officer told The Telegraph: “They do not have the manpower, design, capability, availability of berths, and the wherewithal to meet monthly targets -- simply put, there does not seem to be the will.”

He said MDL makes a 12 per cent profit in any case and cost overruns add to its revenues and all projects, including the strategic, licensed-from-the-French Scorpene submarine venture, are running behind schedule.

Worse, the INS Shivalik stealth frigate project has been hit by an insidious bombshell after the new Obama administration instructed GE to stop work on a pair of gas turbine engines on the ship under US laws.

The Indian Navy is now trying to work around the laws by drawing in consultants from Italy and Germany by using the defence public sector Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. The INS Shivalik is likely to be delayed by at least nine months.

The INS Kolkata is an advancement over the INS Delhi, the destroyer currently in service that also has the INS Mumbai and the INS Mysore in its class. The enhanced weapons package on the INS Kolkata will include twin-tube torpedo-launchers, anti-submarine rocket launchers, and 28 Long Range Surface to Air Missiles (LR-SAMs), possibly the Barak-NG (next generation).

The Barak-NG has run into a controversy itself with the CPM demanding that India should pull out of the joint venture project. A venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation and the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) for which the cabinet committee on security has committed at least Rs 10,000 crore, the Barak-NG or Barak-II ship missile defence system is yet to be tried and tested.

The Indian Navy has armed its vessels with the first generation of Barak missiles with which it claims it is satisfied.

In keeping with the new look that the city it is named after aspires for, the INS Kolkata has been given a sophisticated design that compares among the best of warships in its class.

Indian Naval Headquarters asked its designers to come up with a destroyer that can operate with fully integrated multi-function radar systems and, for the first time, 16 silos -- eight on each side -- capable of launching Brahmos supersonic cruise missiles.

Estimated to cost nearly Rs 8,500 crore, the INS Kolkata “will be capable of exerting sea-control in a multi-threat environment”, says Rear Admiral M.K. Budhwar, director-general of naval design.

ReAl PrOeLiTeZ

well i was replying to below poster. one in docks in west and one in docks in east, while 1 in west and 1 in west in operations out at sea. also gives you flexibility of deploying beyond indian ocean borders. but still retain carriers to defend your own waters. i never said 2 carriers at 1 dock. you didnt read properly.

funtz

INS have bigger problems, who was the genius who forgot to relise there is no where to install turbines :shudder

Not a berth is available in the Mazagaon Docks where the INS Kolkata is to be moored so that it can be fitted with four gas turbines to propel it; given a landing deck and a hangar for two helicopters; armed with missiles and torpedoes to make it the most powerful warship of its class.

Worse, the INS Shivalik stealth frigate project has been hit by an insidious bombshell after the new Obama administration instructed GE to stop work on a pair of gas turbine engines on the ship under US laws.
The trouble is that all once they have a single delay, it transfers its effects down to all subsequent programs.

INS Shivalik is expected to be ready after monsoons, the GE delay of 3-9 months seems to be another media rumor.
Well i was replying to below poster. one in docks in west and one in docks in east, while 1 in west and 1 in west in operations out at sea. also gives you flexibility of deploying beyond indian ocean borders. but still retain carriers to defend your own waters. i never said 2 carriers at 1 dock. you didnt read properly.
What docks in east and west are you talking about?
There is just one at Cochin Shipyard (West coast) to handle the Aircraft Carrier Program.

ReAl PrOeLiTeZ

The trouble is that all once they have a single delay, it transfers its effects down to all subsequent programs.

INS Shivalik is expected to be ready after monsoons, the GE delay of 3-9 months seems to be another media rumor.

There is just one at Cochin Shipyard (West coast) to handle the Aircraft Carrier Program.
future buddy i was trying to refer to since india dont have these carriers now obviously its future talk. Since India is gonna expand its naval forces they'll start to construct new naval bases to cover the west middle eastern side and the east-southern side of asia. they need to protect their assets in the near future when energy sources are scarce.

kay_man

exactly. they said that the Shivalik was ready for sea trials but it would be unsuitable to launch it during monsoon bcoz of the rough seas. So they were going to wait untill the end of monsoon.

and there are pics of the Kolkata class destroyer in dock.
so how can it floating offshore. anyway i dont the navy or even MDl would keep its best STEALTH ship floating carelessly......even if the work on it was delayed.

Rish

so i had a question about the aircraft being equipped on these carriers. why is india opting to have more then one aircraft on its carrier (naval tejas & Mig-29k)? wouldn't that just increase the logistical burden on its' crews and the navy?

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
IMHO both the IAF and the IN are not keen on acquiring the LCA/Tejas. Both are frustrated that the LCA has not met their specs and development is constantly delayed. Their eventual acquisition/implementation is probably more political than practical.

Misguided Fool

I would guess that India wishes to use the Mig 29s as interceptors, and the Tejas as strike aircraft.
I think it might end up being the other way around. Even though the MiG 29 is an air superiority fighter, the MiG 29 K that's being shipped with the Gorshkov has 8 pylons instead of 6 and thus increased weapons load. It also has two engines ... whereas the Tejas just has one.

IMO, the Tejas is just a bad equivalent of the MiG 29 - it follows the same design principles (air superiority fighter with multirole capability), but it has less range, less weapon capacity, less speed, less manoeverability and one less engine. As Salty dog says, it's probably more political than practical.

However, it's important to note that the experience gained from operating an indigenous fighter on a carrier is immense; the Tejas might be weak compared to the MiG 29, but it is the product of Indian design, so maybe next time, the fighter produced might turn out to be better than foreign competition :).

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
As a carrier based fighter, the effectiveness of the Mig-29K remains to be seen. AFAIK the Soviet/Russian navy only tested the Mig-29 carrier variant and never acquired it for their embarked naval air forces.

It is already a bold venture for the IN to operate the Mig-29K from new untested aircraft carriers and even bolder to incorporate a navalised LCA.

Time and money (lots of it) will tell.