If Iran executes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasman

Ship Watcher
Verified Defense Pro
@Future_Pilot

Were do the Aussies and NZ jump in? There is no mission in the pacific or are you talking about them sending troops for a possible invasion of Iran (Which is the last possible situation in my eyes)?
Australia already has a frigate (HMAS Toowoomba) in the same area and performing the same tasks as HMS Cornwall. In the worst case scenario (unlikely though it is) that we are discussing in this thread, there would almost certainly be very strong Australian support for any action initiated by the UK. Any military contribution would most likely be a naval one as the army (including its special forces) is stretched to the limit maintaining existing commitments in Iraq, Afghanistan, Timor Leste, etc.

Cheers

Scott

Photographer/Contributor
Verified Defense Pro
Is anyone keeping an eye out for North Korea at the moment? Hmm.
Sorry, off-topic response to LazerLordz.

Foal Eagle war games conducted last week with SK off west coast of Korea. Task force included CVN-76 Reagan & there was a squadron of F-22A's deployed to Okinawa in Feb/Mar. 1st overseas deployment for Raptors.

Manfred

April 6th again... interesting.

I wonder how hard it would be to stage an incident, trick the Revolutionary Guard into shooting thier own people... and trigger the very counter-revolution that this Hostage taking was meant to delay!

Neutral Zone

I also believe that this situation will be resolved diplomatically, as was said earlier the Iranians are many things but they aren't stupid. There are enough pragmatists in the regime even amongst the hardliners to ensure that the captives will come to no harm. The usual preoccupation of a regime like Iran's is survival, and smart regimes do not jepordize their own survival by going too far.

However, if they did go too far, and that should include putting the captives on trail, then military action would be necessary. It was mentioned earlier about blowing up the Abadan refinery, I read somewhere recently that Iran's refining capacity is so limited that it has to import 60% of it's petrol, so as well as the refineries, I'd go after the fuel distribution depots. We saw in Britain in 2000 how a few protestors were able to bring the country to a virtual standstill within a few days, Iran's economy is in bad shape as it is. Cutting off the petrol supply would collapse the economy in a matter of days. I'd also stop every tanker leaving Iran, the Chinese are big customers of Iranian oil so this should have Hu Jintao screaming down the phoneline to Tehran telling them to sort it out. The downside of this is that it would place the captives in even more danger and would cause an oil shock with all the worldwide economic chaos that that would cause. And that's why this scenario won't happen, all sides have too much to lose.

Rich

I also believe that this situation will be resolved diplomatically, as was said earlier the Iranians are many things but they aren't stupid. There are enough pragmatists in the regime even amongst the hardliners to ensure that the captives will come to no harm. The usual preoccupation of a regime like Iran's is survival, and smart regimes do not jepordize their own survival by going too far
I wouldn't be to sure about this ending soon. It doesn't really matter if they have "pragmatists" over there, which they don't, but even if they did the power in Iran rests with a few religious fanatics who cant be counted on to make rational decisions. Especially since they ordered the hostage taking in the first place.

Instead I suspect they will hold them a long, long time while floating their stupid ideas out to the world about how it was America who caused this hostage taking because of their actions our Iraq. There will be a ready audience for this nonsense because there's always a ready audience for such tripe. They did the same thing in '79 when they took the hostages in Tehran.

Because why not? They have already been assured they wont be attacked. The UN has been gelded by the Russians, who need Irans business, and the Chinese, who need Irans oil. So there will be no meaningful sanctions put on Iran, no attack, no penalty. So why not hold these sailors for a year or two?

The regime is safe because the Iranian people have no power and their opinions are meaningless. Ive seen how Govt.'s like that deal with dissent. Believe me its not pretty, and this collection of Mullahs and their thugs would crush any internal dissent that threatened them. Just a few weeks ago there was a protest by teachers over their low pay. The Police beat them to a pulp and arrested them, 150 are still in jail.http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=10467

This is the kind of guy your dealing with here. http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2605
sound rational to you?
Here's some more of what that regime does to protesters, or anyone else it wants to torment, http://www.iranian.com/Arts/2002/September/Ardavan/1.html

I bet these prisoners of the regime, in Evin prison, or any other torment center, would far rather be in Guantanamo.

Sgt.Banes

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Pfft China and Russia only give hollow threats. They wont do anything so call their bluff.

This might get interesting... I have heard a rumour that April 6th at 4am will be the time of the strike.
Russia and China rely on western investments just to stay somewhat a float. They merely bluff, as if they have any real presence.

Sgt.Banes

Could we expect so many American and British aircraft over Iran that could block the sun?
Not on that level but there will be a large number of strategic bombers taking out specified facilities across the country.

Sgt.Banes

I think there would be an outcry from the British people even greater than when the Falklands were taken by Argentina and we saw how that galvanised the country into action. Unlike the Falklands, though, on this occasion Britain would almost certainly be joined by allies like the USA. Execution of the sailors would even stir the old Commonwealth allegiances and I am certain that countries like Australia would join in.

Such an action by Iran would play right into the hands of the ‘hawks’ calling for extreme action against its nuclear program as even the ‘doves’ would probably support major strikes. I think Britain would give its military an ‘open cheque book’ to take appropriate retaliatory action and support from its allies would be all but guaranteed.

Consequently Iran will take no such action. Their leadership is not that stupid.

Cheers
Iran's Government isn't quite as dumb as some despotic rulers of the past. But their more brazen that the norm, that's because of that OPEC factor. Although from what I've heard Iran has no real refining capabilities other than one refinery. That also should be considered a target if Iran pulls more serious measures into place.

Sgt.Banes

Some how I feel this thread is just an excuse for mastrabatory war fantasies...

Iran is'ent going to excute any British Sailors, period.
I wouldn't say that's entirely true, Iran has been able to get away with many things in the past without much western action being taken. And I don't think anyone is a sadist on here, at least I hope not. I can honestly see more action being taken by Iran to possibly invade Iraq once coalition troops move out. Since Shi'a groups virtually are the largest supporting groups for Iran to more easily take over Iraq.

Sgt.Banes

Speculation of the "What if..." scenario have been growing across the web since the begining of the week.

MSN did an online survey of their UK users to the news page on Wednesday.

According to the figures, approx. 70% said they would back the use of military forces, if such an event happened to warrant it.

HOWEVER, we must remember the bigger picture at this moment. While this event revolves around the illegal kidnapping of a soverign states citizens, by another state, we are still only talking about 15 souls.

As this situation currently stands with all 15 still alive (albeit being held against their will), do WE believe that we should really raise the stakes on this still unfolding incident , so that they warrant such a response at this time ??

Personally, NO.

...but, if the "What if..." scenario became a reality, the shoe would be on the other foot.....
Whether its 15 or 5,000, you still have to consider the fact that if Iran had killed them it is still one Nation killing another Nation's military personel and if I last recall that is an act of war.

Mouse

Sometime some government may willing to sacrifice some personals lives due to some considerations on some certain issues. Then a should-be act of war will become an unfortunate incident.:unknown
I don't believe UK will watch its citizen die, Especially when those things are shed in the light.

If they do, UK and NATO members will be regarded as paper tigers by Mao's standard. A more complicated situation will occur for sure.

Big-E

Banned Member
If they do, UK and NATO members will be regarded as paper tigers by Mao's standard. A more complicated situation will occur for sure.
What does Mao have to do with it... he's dead, rot, and forgot. It's not like Maoist forces did so well in their day against Vietnam.

Sgt.Banes

Sometime some government may willing to sacrifice some personals lives due to some considerations on some certain issues. Then a should-be act of war will become an unfortunate incident.:unknown
I don't believe UK will watch its citizen die, Especially when those things are shed in the light.

Mao was not a brilliant military tacticionary, though he may have had luck with undermining he Nationalist forces. But other than that, even considering going up against several million troops can be resolved with larger weapons. Not to mention Mao made that statement over 40 years ago, our (U.S.) military has changed dramatically within that time span.

Mouse

Mao was not a brilliant military tacticionary,
I think Mao did have a place on Guerrilla warfare and Mobile Warfare
he may have had luck with undermining he Nationalist forces
Luck is an important factor, but you do not call that luck as Mao has indeed a much inferior army when the 1946~1949 civil war started.

You can play Heart of Iron II and try to determine how much luck do you need to survive when using CCP

I guess you may not understand my points

I mean if a country fails to protect its own citizen, others might take it as a sign of showing weakness

And Mao called the strong force with a weak policy paper tigers

Indeed their is nothing to do with Mao

It's not like Maoist forces did so well in their day against Vietnam
agree. But that's a hot debate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese-Vietnamese_War

Anyway, another misunderstanding:shudder

Manfred

Mouse- a heads-up on wikipedia; nobody likes it. They don't check any sources for accuracy, and have some really bad articles in there.

Sgt.Banes

I think Mao did have a place on Guerrilla warfare and Mobile Warfare

Luck is an important factor, but you do not call that luck as Mao has indeed a much inferior army when the 1946~1949 civil war started.

You can play Heart of Iron II and try to determine how much luck do you need to survive when using CCP

I guess you may not understand my points

I mean if a country fails to protect its own citizen, others might take it as a sign of showing weakness

And Mao called the strong force with a weak policy paper tigers

Indeed their is nothing to do with Mao

agree. But that's a hot debate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese-Vietnamese_War

Anyway, another misunderstanding:shudder
I understand your points, but I'm simply saying that our policies have changed since World War two. And you may not want to use wikipedia for sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.