Ideas, suggestions, etc. for Defence Talk?

nambuzle

Don't worry it doesn't offend us.... it's sooooo true! lol

I really think this forum could use a team thing.... like public teams in which competitions could be held and things like strategy tournies could develop. It's just an idea but it could work!!!

Once again, just an idea....

haveblue128

Local Forums=Bad Analytic Practice

Why should it be divided into regions?

I bet that this is going to result in flame wars all the time.

And the forum is not going to be more handy. You get a whole lot of new forums with all the different regions divided into air/sea/land/...

And it is totally against the idea of a multinational forum.

If one wants a forum dedicated to its own special region he can just join a regional forum...
This is a bad idea from an analysts perspective. Those who claim to own "local first-hand knowledge" fall in one of two groups: 1) Amateurs who can't speak with any authority-period. It may interest them, but their first-hand knowledge is likely gotten from the net; 2) Defense professional who speak for their governments to manage the perception of the matter on which they comment. Good pros would do precisely that.

Either way, it is exceptionally bad practice to take anyone's word for a fact based, knowledge driven profession-analysis. I rest my case, but its my job to seek the truth, not the local chatter on specific defense issues. Bottom line, local dialogues will contain only a limited perspective on regional issues. Only when all stake-holders are in the discussion will it have value.

Last edited:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
haveblue128;192614 2) said:
Defense professional who speak for their governments to manage the perception of the matter on which they comment. Good pros would do precisely that.

Disagree strongly here. DefProfs are invariably politically agnostic - thats what makes them professionals in more than the technical sense.

In fact there is no shortage in this forum of DefProfs who openly criticise their Govts procurement and/or selection decisions.

just because a DefProf might carry their Govts decisions does not equate to them lipsyncing the decision. They often and visibly do not - and I can point to a number of other sites where that philosophy holds true.

their interest is technical and academic, not philosophically and/or idealogically driven.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Either way, it is exceptionally bad practice to take anyone's word for a fact based, knowledge driven profession-analysis. I rest my case, but its my job to seek the truth, not the local chatter on specific defense issues. Bottom line, local dialogues will contain only a limited perspective on regional issues. Only when all stake-holders are in the discussion will it have value.
The essence of good analysis is not the pursuit in bedding down of the "absolute truth" (or any idealized concept of truth) but rather it is the continuous readjustment to the perceptions of vested agents party to the actions or surrounding the issue.

To suggest no useful analysis can take place in any given environment without the 'clarity' of all agents 'motives' within the environment is largely inaccurate IMO.

As I sit down to a fresh jigsaw puzzle - if I initially fail to find the four corner pieces this does not preclude me advancing isolated connected elements within the puzzle. There is no linear pathway to accurate analysis just as there is perfectly accurate analysis without ultimate context.

I am not a military analyst at present. Nor am I a military analyst in Washington. Perhaps our methodology varies.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disagree strongly here. DefProfs are invariably politically agnostic - thats what makes them professionals in more than the technical sense.

In fact there is no shortage in this forum of DefProfs who openly criticise their Govts procurement and/or selection decisions.

just because a DefProf might carry their Govts decisions does not equate to them lipsyncing the decision. They often and visibly do not - and I can point to a number of other sites where that philosophy holds true.

their interest is technical and academic, not philosophically and/or idealogically driven.
I think haveblue can have valid concerns about not wanting a division of the forum into regions but I disagree with the rest of his post.

I have a simple suggestion to people questioning the objectivity of others - post more and we will see if that person knows what they are talking about (say in another 100 posts or so). :D

DefProfs like Waylander are valued members of our online community whose track record of posts speak for themselves. There are many in this forum who have a service record with an appropriate security classification to understand the latest developments. The DefProfs may on occasion may have a slight difference of opinion but we tend to talk less at cross purposes with each other and also tend to understand mutual concerns more quickly.

Last edited:

tareesa

Hi my name is Nasir Ghaffar. In this year Pakistanis Government reduces his Defence Budget due to the Financial crises of Pakistan.

Renditure

Googled Defense & Military Forums, this site was at the top of the list.

My impression is very very fresh, haven't completely explored it yet. Seems very organized and resourceful. Bang on to what I was looking for.

My best idea is adwords which I'm sure from your position has already been done and is very well managed. I read recently more than 60% of ppl who use the internet use Google as a search engine. Microsoft and yahoo teamed up together to overcome Google seems like that's not going so well for them. 60% of ppl on the internet that's phenomenal.

UK_Army

I am a soldier gear enthusiast and i often go make a research about soldier gear and equipments. Then i came across this site and i found this site really awesome. I learned a lot from this forum.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Member Ranks

Not sure if it has been suggested before, but would you consider the ability to changes options in your personal profile for members to change the force for the rank structure ?

IE: Some in hear are ex Navy/Army/Airforce etc or have a personal allignement to a particular service, so at the moment I am listed as a Master Sergeant, but being ex RAN I would prefer the option to Navalise my rank ?

Cheers

Just thought I would tack on a big "Bravo Zulu" to the mods and everyone involved in running the site, although I visit and am a member of many, this is the one I keep coming back to

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure if it has been suggested before, but would you consider the ability to changes options in your personal profile for members to change the force for the rank structure ?

IE: Some in hear are ex Navy/Army/Airforce etc or have a personal allignement to a particular service, so at the moment I am listed as a Master Sergeant, but being ex RAN I would prefer the option to Navalise my rank ?

Cheers

Just thought I would tack on a big "Bravo Zulu" to the mods and everyone involved in running the site, although I visit and am a member of many, this is the one I keep coming back to
Thanks. :)

I don't think its possible but I will look into this and see if we can get it implemented.

Xrm150

1. I found this site while monitoring my youtube traffic to see where my views were coming from. I was getting a good bit so I decided to check it out.

2. I enjoy this site and its layout. I like that I can upload my own photos or just link to my photos from other sites. I look forward to sharing my content.

3. How to promote the site? Well I am getting about 1.8k-2.4k views daily from my youtube videos. If you gave me a 7second video with your logo and address on it I could put that in as the intro to my videos or the outro. Either way maybe we can use each other for growth.

P.S. If you do make a video it has to be under 7seconds because I am under contract with youtube. To find my channel and/or videos please search for Xrm150 on youtube or google.

artstyle

well i have been a lurker here for some time before joining, i have read many threads before joining,............but that is when i googled for flanker photos i found this site,,
at first it was not that much interesting to me.,but after following it for some months& i finally joined.....finding the discussions interesting and non-biased,

iam a newbee its too much early for me to give suggestions.

you have done a great job here......................

(iam a kind of addicted to this forum now ............any way iam njoyig my stay here)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
1. I found this site while monitoring my youtube traffic to see where my views were coming from. I was getting a good bit so I decided to check it out.

2. I enjoy this site and its layout. I like that I can upload my own photos or just link to my photos from other sites. I look forward to sharing my content.

3. How to promote the site? Well I am getting about 1.8k-2.4k views daily from my youtube videos. If you gave me a 7second video with your logo and address on it I could put that in as the intro to my videos or the outro. Either way maybe we can use each other for growth.

P.S. If you do make a video it has to be under 7seconds because I am under contract with youtube. To find my channel and/or videos please search for Xrm150 on youtube or google.
Thanks and welcome to DefenceTalk. Why not just put "Visit DefenceTalk | Aerospace Defense News - Forum - Military Pictures of Air Force Army Navy today! as text in your videos? That would help.

And artstyle,

Welcome to DT. Please do read our rules: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

Watch your spelling and those dots... in... sentences... you know. Its OKAY to end with one period(.). ;)

artstyle

Thanks and welcome to DefenceTalk. Why not just put "Visit DefenceTalk | Aerospace Defense News - Forum - Military Pictures of Air Force Army Navy today! as text in your videos? That would help.

And artstyle,

Welcome to DT. Please do read our rules: http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/rules.php

Watch your spelling and those dots... in... sentences... you know. Its OKAY to end with one period(.). ;)
sorry for the dots and spelling mistakes, iam new here , ill try not 2 repeat themD

ZELEGEND

Several years ago, wasn't there sub forums for discussion of defence for individual countries?

Best regards

fortion

i heard about this forum from a friend who came across it when he was searching for material about a project on israel's army . i like the forum but i would suggest that you reduce the no of ads and make the page a little less . . . um . . . cluttered

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't recall seeing more than one ad on any page at a time, might have missed it, but i've not noticed any examples. Even on the home page - arguably the most likely place for ads - there's just the one I can see anyway.

fortion

I can't recall seeing more than one ad on any page at a time, might have missed it, but i've not noticed any examples. Even on the home page - arguably the most likely place for ads - there's just the one I can see anyway.
what i meant was that you have placed ads in sidebar which create a sort of cluttered effect as page width is reduced. most forums place ads on top which give an effect of a clean page . i agree with you that no. of ads on your site are less than other forums . otherwise your site is great :)

RobWilliams

Super Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the ads to the side, personally. I hate having to scroll like halfway down the page past the ads to actually see something related to what I was looking for. But the comment is appreciated :)

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The ads on the forum, if you login, you should only see one add on the sidebar, out of your way. I could put them in the posts and in the content but I decided long time ago that it wasn't the best way to go!

Do tell your friends about DefenceTalk!

Thanks