How do I .....

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
A quick help thread for people. Note that this is writen by someone who is allergic to Apple products but the basics are the same.

Images.
The best way that I have found for including images in posts is to actually upload them from your own hard drive on your PC / Laptop / Phone / Tablet etc.
Image instructions.jpg
A. Select the image for your folder that it is stored in.
Image instructions1.jpg
B. Click on UPLOAD A FILE.

Image instructions2.jpg
C. Click on either THUMBNAIL OR FULL IMAGE.
HINT:
  1. Ensure that you click the cursor in the place you want the image before you click on either of the choices above or the image will appear in the last place the cursor was before you uploaded the image.
  2. If the image is a large image post it as a thumbnail.
  3. If the image ends up in the wrong place you can delete it by highlighting it and hitting the DELETE or BACKSPACE buttons, then follow Step 1 again.
  4. If you want to remove the image completely then click on the DELETE choice to the right.
D. You can post no more than four images per post.

LOVERLY BOY.jpg
5. When you've got this far and posted images successfully.

Hope this helps.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CONVERSATIONS 1
This is about how to have a converstaion with another member. There are two ways and my own preference is for the more private / personal conversation.

Profile Page.jpg
The first way is the open conversation which is on your profile page and you just go the members profile page and leave a message for them as somebody done for Preceptor, in the image above. This method of messaging is like a tweet and allows a maximum of 140 characters and just like a tweet is open for all to see.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The second form is private or personal conversation. This has a limit of 10,000 characters so if you are going to write a long message, I suggest writting in a program / app like Word where you have the ability to count the characters including gaps / blanks. That way you can split it into manageable portions, or proof read it and edit it.

Conversations instructions.jpg
To access conversations click on <YOUR NAME> on the top right.

Conversations instructions1.jpg

Then click on <CONVERSATIONS>.

Conversations instructions2.jpg
Then click on which one that you would like to do: <VIEW CONVERSATIONS> OR <NEW CONVERSATION>.

LOVERLY BOY.jpg
Then you just carry on and away you go .

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
SINCE THE WEBSITE HAS BEEN UPGRADED I HAVEN'T HAD A CHANCE TO TO UPDATE THE HOW DO I. I WILL ATTEMPT TO DO SO WHILST I AM STUCK AT HOME IN COMPULSORY ISOLATION DUE TO A BAD COLD AND NZG REQUIREMENTS. NO I DON'T HAVE COVID-19. SHOULD KEEP ME OUT OF SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED'S HAIR. :D

pussertas

South African Navy. Valour Class

Some weeks ago I asked a question regarding the need for a funnel.

This led to a very interesting series of replies which alas I can no longer find. (Have Brain Cancer)

This class of warship is conspicuous for a lack of any funnels. To add to their stealth characteristics, the exhaust fumes from the Meko A200's gas turbines and diesel engines are cooled by spraying water into the exhaust duct and then expelled just above the ship's waterline, making the frigate almost invisible to most infrared detectors.

Somewhere, oh somewhere, I read an article that indicated that seawater had entered the system during a very tight turn.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
South African Navy. Valour Class

Some weeks ago I asked a question regarding the need for a funnel.

This led to a very interesting series of replies which alas I can no longer find. (Have Brain Cancer)

This class of warship is conspicuous for a lack of any funnels. To add to their stealth characteristics, the exhaust fumes from the Meko A200's gas turbines and diesel engines are cooled by spraying water into the exhaust duct and then expelled just above the ship's waterline, making the frigate almost invisible to most infrared detectors.

Somewhere, oh somewhere, I read an article that indicated that seawater had entered the system during a very tight turn.
Bugger Pusser, sorry to hear that.

I think there was a discussion in the RAN thread on it, but don't quote me. I'll have a hunt around the naval threads for you and get back to you by the weekend. Kia kaha - stay strong. Stay safe.

Boagrius

Hi Ngati,

Not sure if I'm missing something but for the life of me I can't figure out how to send a PM here. I have searched high and low in my PM section and only seem to be able to reply to PMs sent to me, but I cannot start my own. Appreciate any advice you or anyone else can offer!

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
Hi Ngati,

Not sure if I'm missing something but for the life of me I can't figure out how to send a PM here. I have searched high and low in my PM section and only seem to be able to reply to PMs sent to me, but I cannot start my own. Appreciate any advice you or anyone else can offer!
Hi,

When you hover over username, do you see "start conversation" button?

Attachments

JohnWolf

How do I pull a line from sopmewhere else and then put it in a format that does not make it seem as if I am plagiarizing anyone?

I don't see a "quotation" key up there, so what am I missing?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
How do I pull a line from sopmewhere else and then put it in a format that does not make it seem as if I am plagiarizing anyone?

I don't see a "quotation" key up there, so what am I missing?
What I do John is put it within quotation marks and italicise the quote text in order to differentiate it. That way if your post is quoted then the material that you quote remains in the text.

The other way is to put the word QUOTE between [ ] at the beginning of the quote and at the end put /QUOTE between [ ] However when you do that if your post is subsequently quoted, then the quoted material does not appear.

Depot Dog

Hi
I want to put a post in the RAN topic. There were several documents people have attached to the debate. Rather than reposting each document I just want to refer to them. I found three documents interesting. I just want to do an OPSSG type post. Various sources to backup a point.

Regards
DD